Yumekui Merry

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

monsta666

-the bee's knees
Staff member
Fansub TV Team
spring20115yumekuimerry.jpg

Title: Yumekui Merry (Dream Eater Merry)
Japanese title: 夢喰いメリー
Genres: Action
Premier dates: 6th January 2011–24th March 2011 (12 episodes)
Original creator: Yoshitaka Ushiki
Animation Studio: J.C Staff
Official website (Japanese): http://yumekuimerry.com

Plot Summary: Ten years ago Fujiwara noticed he had a power to see multicolored auras surrounding the person's body. Ever since then he's been having a weird dream about a war with cats. Then one day a mysterious girl falls on top of him... Taken from ANN

TRAILER 1: CLICK HERE
TRAILER 2: CLICK HERE

Seiyuu cast
Ai Kayano as Isana Tachibana
Ayane Sakura as Merry Nightmare
Nobuhiko Okamoto as Yumeji Fujiwara

Aya Endo as Engi Three-Piece
Jouji Nakata as John Do
Keiji Fujiwara as Tachibana no Oyassan (Isana's father)
Shinji Kawada as Guricho
Tomoko Akiya as Yui Kōnagi

Thoughts: I didn't have too much hope in this series when first reading the basic synopsis a few weeks back; the only bit that intrigued me was the one sentence about the war on cats. Sure it seemed like a fairly dumb reason to start watching an anime but with the dearth of good anime shows these days it seemed like a good enough reason for me.
tongue.gif
Fortunately for me the opening episode was a bit more promising than I expected; I was sort of expecting a moe-fest with a few wild kitties thrown in but that wasn't really the case here. I don't know what it is about the animation but something about it gives me a Pandora Hearts sort of vibe, not sure why, although this series does contain some supernatural elements like Pandora Hearts. I am not sure if this series will be a winner, could well turn into pants but I will certainly watch the next couple of episodes.

Well I gave the first episode a shot and I can say it was different. To be honest I'm glad I decided to check it out once it showed up. I mean the description kind of makes it iffy but after watching the first episode I'm thinking this may have a chance on being a good series this season.

Well with the first epiosde I kind of like it for a few reasons. The first would be the masked cat Chaser... Jon Doe. The VA for that almost sounds like the same guy who did Neco Arc Chaos from the Melty Blood series. The second would be Merry herself. For some reason she reminds me of one of two Touhou characters with her hat of course.

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Jan 07 2011, 12:36 PM) I didn't have too much hope in this series when first reading the basic synopsis a few weeks back; the only bit that intrigued me was the one sentence about the war on cats.

Nyaaaa honey, dont let me catch you with some naughty kitties
tongue.gif
I might draw out my own claws and scratch

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jan 07 2011, 11:26 PM)Nyaaaa honey, dont let me catch you with some naughty kitties
tongue.gif
I might draw out my own claws and scratch
Then you would be a naughty kitty who would need to be punished and sent to Africa. Then again sometimes I get the feeling that is something you have been wanting/asking to happen!
rolleyes.gif

Well as for the series, I am hoping to see some a couple of kittens in the near future hopefully my wish will be granted soon.
wink.gif

Watched episode 1...not sure what to make of it yet, but I want Merry to get released on figma so I can buy one
laugh.gif

Anyway, while watching the episode...many times when I see Yumeji, the thought of "if Mikoto (To Aru) had a brother, this is what he would look like" kept on crossing my mind lol

After watching the first episode, the biggest question I have is this: How much starch does it take to get your coat tails to do that? Why won't character designers please think of the poor cosplayers who are going to be trying to recreate that?

During the ep, I kept checking to see how much was left in it, which is usually a bad sign. The only thing I found interesting was the army of anthropomorphic kitties, but unfortunately, the animation didn't make much use of them. I can't say the story hooked me either. In fact, nothing really stands out about this show to me. Maybe I'll watch the second episode, but I don't know...

This was nice. Storywise this can be very good or it can become a simple story which follows a predestined story...The characters may be the strong part until now. Merry herself seems interesting but the best one is Chaser. What is he chasing? and why does he want to become real? Fujiwara was the weakest one. Hopefully we get more background to him so that he becomes better.
For a first episode it was decent enough. Let's hope that it doesn't become one of the worst series this winter..

This could be one of the best first eps since I really liked it and was surprised when it was over since it felt like I watched only a few minutes.
Like others already said the characters are all pretty interesting. Chaser and Merry are both mysterious and seem to be pretty well made characterwise. And Yumeji doesnt look like the normal weakling whats pretty good too. I hope it wont change.
Storywise I cant say much after this ep but from what we heard about Yumejis ability and the characters it could be pretty good.
Animationwise its nice too, even though I wouldve liked it if the nightmares would be a bit more dark, but I guess that lets Chaser stand out a lot more.
Overall as already said a really nice ep.

And now Im waiting for the winged hottie too appear. I hope they wont make me wait long
tongue.gif

But whats with all that "you cant feel pain in dreams" stuff people are talking about? When I get hurt in my dreams I can feel pain sometimes even so much that I wake up oO

I dislike Merry's character design, especially the super-coattails. Chaser John Doe would have been more interesting if his entire backstory wasn't revealed in ep1. They don't go out and say it, but all the clues are there at the end.

They skimped a bit on the animation during the fight scene, but the dreamscape itself was so well done that I have to forgive them for that ^^

Could be ok. Will watch the second episode.

Ep 2 was great again.
It had good comedy at the beginning and the end was pretty sad with Yumi losing her dream. Im pretty sure Chizuru is the fault for this.

This ep had nice character development for Merry in showing just how desperate she is about her situation and lack of knowledge of it.
And Isanas das is just great with his scar and the intimidating voice.

They seem to be taking it slow getting the main plot started up, but ep2 was a definite improvement on ep1. The action scenes, although there were less of them, were much more smoothly animated, and the interaction between the characters was much more interesting than ep1. Could be good.

QUOTE (Warsprite @ Jan 14 2011, 07:24 PM)They seem to be taking it slow getting the main plot started up, but ep2 was a definite improvement on ep1. The action scenes, although there were less of them, were much more smoothly animated, and the interaction between the characters was much more interesting than ep1. Could be good.

I agree. The addition of Chizuru gave this series a very good extras. She really seems creepy and looks posessed. Maybe she is the one that Chaser is trying to catch?
Merry was also better since she showed some character depth. I wonder if she somehow is connected to Fujiwara. The parts with the little Merry and kid seem to hint to some kind of connection. Did he somehow drag her into the real world?
It is starting to get a real story so i hope that the writers can really turn this into one of the better series of this season.

There is definite improvement from episode 1, but I still don't feel quite into this show yet. I guess I'm worried it'll turn into another Ookami-san, not particularly bad but not great either. Still, I like the idea of a dream world and the mumas. Good to know that there are some who aren't just interested in taking a humans body as a vessel, but instead can help them find their dreams.
Do they not have locks on bathroom doors in Japan? It's a little silly how often males in anime casually open the door to see girls taking a bath. Yeah I know we get a little fan-service there, but it's soooo overdone. Yumeji's reaction was still funny though, so I have to give them credit for that.

Ok after seeing episode 3 I have to say I'm really starting to like how this series is going. I have to admit that I'm lucky to actually find a few decient series this season.

In any case pretty much we finally get Yumeji and Merry together in a Daydream area. Pretty much it looks like they are either going to find a way to send Merry back to the dreamworld, or end up finding why she's over in the real world.

It was nice that they didnt drag the part where Yumeji is searching for Merry but instead worked it into the story of the little girl.
But I wonder why Merry is so much against letting her getting helped? Does she fear she will be too sad if she actually succeeds in going back to the dream world and loses her friends she makes?

Too bad we didnt see what happened to Yumi after what happened in ep 2. I hope we will see her again instead of just forgetting her.

And really good is that Yumeji still is a guy who doesnt back down after the first minor problem. A really big plus for this show.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Jan 22 2011, 10:46 AM)It was nice that they didnt drag the part where Yumeji is searching for Merry but instead worked it into the story of the little girl.
But I wonder why Merry is so much against letting her getting helped? Does she fear she will be too sad if she actually succeeds in going back to the dream world and loses her friends she makes?

Too bad we didnt see what happened to Yumi after what happened in ep 2. I hope we will see her again instead of just forgetting her.

And really good is that Yumeji still is a guy who doesnt back down after the first minor problem. A really big plus for this show.

Agreed. Yumeji really is a good support for this series. About Yumi: i think this episode was ment to show how the dreamcharacters can invade a person. Chizuru is already taken over and i think that Yumeji will be able to notice on Chizuru or somehow come in contact with Yumi.
I am still wondering about the little Merry part.

Yumeji and Merry make a good team, even though I think it will be a disadvantage later on since Yumeji can do nothing in the dream world against nightmares.

Next ep we get to see the hot angel or hot angellike nightmare. Looking forward to this ^^

The up side with this episode is Yumeji isn't completely useless, but the down side is he isn't completly useful either. While I think he is good for a support cast character it seemed that he did this to help out the club president from being posessed. Later on Merry decides to show up after finding out what the heck he was trying to do. Although it's the classic setup of stall until the real fighter arrives.

In any case with the next episode preview we kind of get a glimpse of what Merry is really doing instead of what she thinks she is doing.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jan 28 2011, 08:11 PM)The up side with this episode is Yumeji isn't completely useless, but the down side is he isn't completly useful either. While I think he is good for a support cast character it seemed that he did this to help out the club president from being posessed. Later on Merry decides to show up after finding out what the heck he was trying to do. Although it's the classic setup of stall until the real fighter arrives.

In any case with the next episode preview we kind of get a glimpse of what Merry is really doing instead of what she thinks she is doing.

I agree. Yumeji is a weak person inside the dream world and needs Merry as a sort of protector. To have him notice it and have Merry show up is a nice thing that the writers did. It wouldn't have been good if they made him into a guy who thinks he can do anything.
The next episode is going to be a good one if that preview is correct. Merry may be doing something different than she thinks..i wonder if it is connected to those scenes with a younger Merry and that boy. Is Merry connected to that boy and in doing so is she just like the other dream creatures and having invaded a human? Or is she more connected to Yumeji then we know??

This is turning out a lot better than I expected, and I'm glad I gave it a shot. Usually the characters in these types of one-off action hybrid animes tend to be very flat, but I think they are rounding out nicely. You can actually feel compassion because they don't try so hard to stick to archetypes, making them feel a lot more human. I've also always been fascinated with dreams and the human mind so that part draws me in. The thing I like the most is its decent for a series thats relatively grounded and predictable, a trait which leaves me in hard to please mode. Sometimes, an easy watch is just what the doctor ordered.

BTW, love that detuned clock sound. Its such a great mood-changer and fits this series perfectly.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back