Yumeiro Patissiere

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

b.o.w

-san
Kouhai
Title: Yumeiro Patissiere
Japanese Title: 夢色パティシエール
Genre: Comedy, Cooking, Drama, High School
Premier: FALL 2009
Animation Studio: Pierrot
Official Website: ???

yume_top_2_r1_c1.jpg

Plot:

The story centers on a 14-year-old girl named Ichigo Amano who considers herself to have no redeeming qualities; this is supported by her overall clumsiness. One day, she enrolls in St. Mary Academy, a culinary school for sweets, and meets a “spirit of sweets”; who will help ichigo achieve her dream of being a pâtissière (female pastry chef).

{with help from technotaku}

My Thoughts:

This was a hard plot to write (Thanks again to technotaku), I didn't want it to be a synapse of the first EP, but everything you will see in the series is there. From the first episode you know she will face hardships, she will make friends and enemies, and there will be tiny magical beings....
Still the show is so sweet many will want to follow it; the fact that all pastry making footage/animation was supervised by a real pastry chef is just ... uhmm... the icing on the cake

This little gem will be a guilty pleasure for me. I watched the first episode today, and really had fun with it. Nice that Ichigo-chan had her Obaa-chan as her mentor and inspiration, when it came to making a choice as to what she wants to do in life...bake exquisite pastries! IRL, it is considered an art form, so how much more fun in the fantasy world of anime...delicious! It ain't bad either, that a beautiful, blond bishounen, Henri-sempai, has encouraged our heroine to enroll at St. Mary's Academy...gonna make notes of all the delicious recipes...
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Erm...... somehow the character look so familiar. Anyway since I love sweet stuff, this series might come along in my watch list.

I hope I won't see the Korean drama feel in it. I need to withdraw little while from their stuff.
biggrin.gif

It was cute and the pastries made me hungry, especially that strawberry custard crepe in the beginning, but it ultimately is not a show for me. I did however show it to my niece who wants to be a pastry chef when she grows up, and she liked it. Muhahahaha! I'll make an otaku out of her yet. Muhahaha!

At first I thought this was CLAMP because of how the characters looked, the subtitle of "Diabetics beware" was hilarious. XD

I'll give it a shoot, looks fun.

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Oct 14 2009, 08:28 AM) It was cute and the pastries made me hungry, especially that strawberry custard crepe in the beginning, but it ultimately is not a show for me. I did however show it to my niece who wants to be a pastry chef when she grows up, and she liked it. Muhahahaha! I'll make an otaku out of her yet. Muhahaha!
My admiration for you has increased mountains...A~san. The fact that you watched the first episode is good enough for me and that your little niece will be inspired by this sugary anime series. Well, heck , sounds simply delish...pass me some of the strawberry crepes, will ya?
tongue.gif
I am going to enjoy this one...I have a sweet tooth and I can't help it.

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Oct 14 2009, 09:28 AM) It was cute and the pastries made me hungry, especially that strawberry custard crepe in the beginning, but it ultimately is not a show for me. I did however show it to my niece who wants to be a pastry chef when she grows up, and she liked it. Muhahahaha! I'll make an otaku out of her yet. Muhahaha!
is it wrong that whenever someone is trying to bring more people to the otaku side i get a warm fuzzy feeling (as if i just ate a puppy)?

i wish i could end more sentences with mwahahaha IRL

well ep 2 certainly took things to a new level the magical beings actually have their own agenda... and help humans out of pure interest, refreshing.
Too bad they come from the world of sweets where sweets spirits live and make sweets to contest on sweet things and have sweet jobs .... where did i left my insulin?
Another thing i found refreshing was that there are no bad kids, only one that is blunt (or too serious) and a few that were jealous; but after her display of clumsiness that should be a dead end for the time being.

I'm finding that my favorite part is the end when you see real life sweets and the promise that next chapter has a recipe will make me come back

I am really am liking this little story. Yeah sure, it is kawaii, in all of the right places, but the humor is good and the characters are lively and engaging. Episode 4 was especially good. Generic in terms of the plot, but it was nice to see some conflict behind the scenes of the gang's "I wanna be a Pastry Chef dreams." Looking forward to more sweet storytelling.
tongue.gif

huh.... episode 38 had a pleasant surprise, so far I'm liking the anime. Ichigo's ... let's call it naivete, and innocence is so pure that even enemies turn into allies for her.

QUOTE (llehcdif @ Jun 26 2010, 11:17 PM)huh.... episode 38 had a pleasant surprise, so far I'm liking the anime. Ichigo's ... let's call it naivete, and innocence is so pure that even enemies turn into allies for her.

Before your post I thought I was the only person actively following it. This anime takes the prize for most underrated anime ever...

I so sad that there are so few groups fansubbing/distributting it.

I also started watching Yumeiro Pâtissière. I'm only up to episode 17 but I've enjoyed the sweet
laugh.gif
simplicity of the story. It's refreshing to watch an anime that is fairly light and fun. Even the saddest of stories has some kind of positive outcome and there's no inclination to put the viewer through an emotional wringer (unlike other anime/manga that turn out to be more bitter than sweet eg. Kitchen Princess).

The characters are driven by an overwhelming desire to achieve their dreams and, although it's often clichéd, the journey is enjoyable to watch. It's a good anime to turn to when you simply want to relax and not think too deeply about life, the universe or anything.
wink.gif
I suspect that the only problem you might encounter when watching Yumeiro Pâtissière is combatting the strong desire to savour all the enticing sweets that they make in the course of an episode.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Aug 27 2010, 06:58 PM) <snip> but it seems that this show will be getting a second season:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-...tart-in-october

It's good to see a second season is anounced, despite this being one of the most underrated shows of this year... I gues it must be making money in Japan (where it counts)

I hope I can see consitent releases for this show next season....
blink.gif

So finally finished the first season and got around to the second. The ending to the first season was marvelous. Although I was hoping for the first series to not have a preview in the last episode leading into the second one, it didn't really matter. The first season really came a long way, starting off as to what seemed like a poor coming of age type show to a full blown one with various shoujo aspects thrown in. Not to mention that the overall pacing and the plot twists were magnificent. To come this far is truly a series to behold and not something you see very often today. The show started with Ichigo remembering her grandmother's tart, and I really enjoyed how that continued to play as a theme throughout the series and eventually come full circle to the point where Ichigo exceeds her grandmother's skills. 8/10

As for the second season, it definitely has a much more mature feel, with Ichigo still retaining some of her previous character. If anything, the OP video definitely shows a huge change in mood and seems like the show will now move towards a more traditional type romance/school-life series. From the current looks of things, it can very well pull off a strong drama shoujo show like Nana, if not better, but only time will tell. I just hope this whole issue regarding Henri's project will eat up the entire series since it just sounds dumb. While on that subject, the second season lacks much direction at the moment. Unlike the first season where Ichigo's goal was to make the strawberry tart she reminisced from her childhood, the second season doesn't have any big meaning except your typical love triangle show right now. Hopefully this show doesn't fall flat on its face like Ichigo did multiple times throughout the first episode. Also, the art, particularly for how much each character changed in 2 years time, as well as Makoto's face were rather annoying such that they looked out of proportion and not as if two year's had past but rather around 4 or 5 years.

Preliminary Expectation: High
Preliminary Score: 7/10

So episode 12 of SP is rather disappointing. Based on the preview, episode 13 is the last episode, and this seems to be confirmed since Beelzebub will be taking its time slot on January 9. So unless it's airing on a different channel and will continue to do so, I'm really disliking how slow paced the series was already moving in comparison with the first. It just doesn't have the same feel by being only 13 episodes and nothing really eventful happening. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I highly doubt that is the case at the moment.

A I have been watching this show since it started, it has been funny most of the time, I actually enjoy a series like this quite well. The deserts did make hungry though LOL Xd. I am still on episode 39 since the group i get my subs from is a bit slow =03

Episode 39
Too bad the recipe for the tart is not in there, I am guessing her grandmha did it on purpose. That what she remembers she will make the tart, as Ichigo has a tallented...uuummm... tongue LOL Xd.

Look forward to finishing this season so I can watch the 2nd season X03

SP Professional is also over so here's my 2 cents on the sequel:
Yumeiro Patissiere SP Professional takes place 2 years after the first series. Ichigo returns to Japan to find Team Ichigo essentially disbanding. Hanabusa and Andou have decided to leave St. Marie Academy to pursue their own dreams while Makoto has skipped a grade ahead of Ichigo.

While the show does focus more on the shoujo genre aspect of the show, the development of Makoto and Ichigo's relationship is extremely shallow. The plot for SP is overall straightforward. Henri wants to create St. Marie Gardens and shops around the world for people to enjoy. If you ask me, Henri still sounds like an antagonist overall (world domination of sweets in this case
tongue.gif
). He puts a "new" Team Ichigo in charge of the St. Marie Garden in Japan consisting of Johnny McBeal (who is apparently Miya's cousin), Makoto, Ichigo, and Lemon. So far so good. Everything proceeds at the pace of the first season until 2 things happen. The first is the realization that the show is only 13 episodes long and the second is they decide to waste a third of the series on the spirits world for development between Chocolat and Kashi. While this gives quite the in depth development between the two, the overall relevance to the story is zero, and thus essentially filler. The remaining two thirds of the series involved Team Ichigo helping out the former members of St. Marie Academy, particularly Andou and Tennouji, both of which were having trouble with their respective shops.

If you ask me, Yumeiro's character development is still its strongest point. With the exception of Makoto's and Ichigo's relationship, we definitely got to see more of the old cast as well as a few of the new ones. However, the plot lacked focus and is really what hit the show hard in comparison to the first. It lacked the same "coming of age" type feel the prequel had and made the series intense and thus worthwhile watching. While SP is by no means terrible, the sequel is definitely a let down after the surprisingly successful prequel to the extent that it retreated back to square one. From what it seems, the show ran out of material to cover and thus SP was more of an epilogue to the prequel if anything at all.

Animation has not improved coming from Studio Pierrot and I had expected better considering they can definitely do a few solid animation pieces as seen in Bleach. Art wise, the character designs could have been better. The original Team Ichigo had essentially not changed in the 2 year skip. Their faces look as if they were still in middle school while everyone else, such as Tennouji and Natsume at least looked as if they grew up a little. While this was meant to be a implicit theme is another issue.

Music was probably the biggest step up that properly matched the change in themes of the show. The original series was definitely a show targeted more at kids as a "coming of age" show and thus the little moe OP and ED themes whereas the sequel tried to play on the shoujo theme more and thus a more shoujo-esque OP and ED video and theme. There were a number of things being hinted at in the OP video, but it seemed as if they were never expanded on.

Enjoyment? I can say for sure that I did not enjoy this as much as the first season. Every week I had hoped the show would get back on track, but it seemed that the more I hoped, the more derailed it became. While the final few episodes felt more like the original Yumeiro, the fact that Miya was the "final antagonist" was not as promising as Henri in the first series, and not to mention that Ichigo had a goal of surpassing her grandmother's strawberry tart. Here, there wasn't really a goal that Ichigo had, but more of an assignment.

Overall, while the show currently implies a third season, I hope they leave some room before its production. If anything, the show has either caught up to the manga or the entire second season was filler to begin with. I had definitely expected more from Yumeiro SP and I'm unfortunately disappointed. The final scene between Makoto and Ichigo, while nice, didn't feel like it was placed properly. It definitely felt and seemed as if it was shoved in there so that fans would be "happy" that there was some development in their relationship. Unfortunately, coming from someone who has seen many other shoujo shows, that stunt isn't going to work.

Preliminary Score: 7/10
Final Score: 7/10

I thought they would make another some episode title series, but I see that episodes 40-50 are the ones for professional. Have yet to see it since New Years slowed everything down, only 11 more episodes to go, hope fully the group I am waiting on will do a batch release. Then I will write out my 2 cents on this series in total.

After it is all over I guess I will rewatch it just to have a good look through the whole series, just delicious IMO
laugh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back