X-Men

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ausdoerrt

-sama
Retired
thexmenfromthexmenanime.jpg

Title: X-Men
Japanese title: エックスメン
Original run: 1st April 2011–17th June 2011 (12 episodes)
Original creators: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee
Animation studio: Madhouse Studios
Official website (Japanese): http://www.animax.co.jp/marvelanime/x-men/

Seiyuu cast
Aya Hisakawa as Storm
Hideyuki Tanaka as Beast (Dr. Hank McCoy)
Kaori Yamagata as Emma Frost
Katsunosuke Hori as Professor Xavier
Rikiya Koyama as Wolverine (Logan)
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Cyclops (Scott Summers)
Yukari Tamura as Hisako Ichiki
Yurika Hino as Jean Grey

TRAILER: CLICK HERE

Plot

The X-Men are a team of elite super-powered mutants gathered by Professor Xavier to protect ordinary humans even as they are persecuted by them. In the wake of the death of one of their own, however, the team has stopped operations for a whole year. Then Professor X receives word of a mutant girl's mysterious disappearance in Japan. Sensing that something larger is afoot, he reassembles the team and sends them to investigate. They uncover a connection between her disappearance and an anti-mutant group known as the U-Men. (Taken from ANN)

Thoughts

Anyone watching the show? The first two episodes were great, it's like they took the best of X-men and combined it with Japanese anime rules and traditions. Plus great animation. I want to see where this goes.

On a random note, why is Storm always on the verge of passing out? I never remember her doing that in the old cartoon series, she's always been one of those ueber-powerful mutants iirc... It's like she's been nerfed beyond belief.

The Beast looks cute, and Wolverine got faaaat.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Edited post as requested to follow general introduction post format.

After the cheesy Ironman and Wolverine getting beaten by a man with a wooden stick, I had next to no hope for this. Yet it is the best marvel anime project to date.

The story seems focused and I think that is due in part to a small cell team of 4 people. I also like the fact that the spotlight is on cyclops and he doesnt seem afraid to use his concussive beam either.

The story and character designs actually reminds me alot of marvel knight's motion comic project the amazing x-men. Both deal with the aftermath of Jean Grey's death and Scott's new love interest.

Hopefully, they just need to keep the emotions real. That is all I want really.

Iron Man was ok. Wolverine was a bit worse and more uninteresting. But X-Men really looks promising. And the worst part of both Iron Man and Wolverine was changed, the art style. The style used in Iron Man and Wolverine was just plain ugly, especially in Wolverine. The style used in X-Men is really good and it suits the series.

Plotwise I cant say much since I only saw ep 1 but it looks interesting. And I hope they dont go overboard with Mutants since they could do a total Overkill there. But judging from the OP that wont happen.
I never knew that Beast was really part of the X-Men. Probably because I only know the three never movies. And because the world of the X-Men is so intransparent that its just too much work really getting into the story and what happens.

On another note, Storm is just so awesome looking that she alone would be worth watching the show.

QUOTE Wolverine got faaaat.
Wolverine got fat? Now, that I gotta see since I did watch Wolverine and it was bad. Kept at it only because of the sexy and deadly Kikyo.
wink.gif

QUOTE Anyone watching the show? The first two episodes were great, it's like they took the best of X-men and combined it with Japanese anime rules and traditions. Plus great animation. I want to see where this goes.
I know tis a rare thing for you, Aus-san, to say that you consider a show's episodes great...so, based on your opinion, I am going to start watching it.
Rumor has it that Blade is up next...here's hoping it will be good.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 11 2011, 12:14 PM) The Beast looks cute, and Wolverine got faaaat.
You know its funny, I was thinking the same about both lol.
The scene in the airport in episode 1 with Wolverine unable to pass airport security was amusing
tongue.gif
I liked the scene with Beast's talking squid taking over the lecture as well.

Is this based on the comics or is this original material? I know the part with Jean turning into Phoenix is in the comics, but I'm not sure about this rescue mission. That is why I was a bit unsure of watching episode 2, but if you all say it's good, I'll give it a shot. I miss Gambit and Rogue though, they were my faves in the 90s cartoon
sad.gif

It's uncertain in what will follow the comics and what will just be original story, but at the very least the enemy organization, U-Men, are from the comics. Had to look that up on wikipedia though as I had never heard of the U-Men till the 2nd episode.

QUOTE Is this based on the comics or is this original material? I know the part with Jean turning into Phoenix is in the comics, but I'm not sure about this rescue mission. That is why I was a bit unsure of watching episode 2, but if you all say it's good, I'll give it a shot. I miss Gambit and Rogue though, they were my faves in the 90s cartoon

I have no idea, but make sure you don't expect it to be just like the original comics/cartoon. Part of the spirit is there, but the other part is very anime like uncontrollable mutations and crazy scientists that I don't recall ever being a big part of the original X-men. Thus far the mix has been acceptable, though.

And yeah I miss those two as well, but don't forget Jubilee! I wonder if that's her we see in the opening...

QUOTE Wolverine got fat? Now, that I gotta see since I did watch Wolverine and it was bad. Kept at it only because of the sexy and deadly Kikyo.

Well, kinda. Or more like awkwardly bulky, especially compared to the slim design of the Wolverine anime. Still not sure which design I like better. The original Wolverine was somewhere in between.

I never knew that Beast was really part of the X-Men. Probably because I only know the three never movies. And because the world of the X-Men is so intransparent that its just too much work really getting into the story and what happens.

One of the major characters. He's quite funny. Though he's never been quite the fluffy furry until this anime. The world of X-men is not complex at all, it's a teenagers' comic/cartoon after all. Though I must say I'm quite surprised that you never saw the original animation.

QUOTE I know tis a rare thing for you, Aus-san, to say that you consider a show's episodes great...so, based on that premise of yours, I am going to start watching it.
Rumor has it that Blade is up next...here's hoping it will be good.

I'm extremely biased cause X-Men was my favourite superhero cartoon when I was a kid. Blade I'm not so sure about, never read the comics, and only the first out of 3 movies was any good.

QUOTE One of the major characters. He's quite funny. Though he's never been quite the fluffy furry until this anime.
Having watched the cartoon series back in the day, he was one of my favorite characters...always ready for a good laugh and he too, has a wry sense of humor from what I remember. Already downloaded the first two episodes...gonna watch them in a bit.

QUOTE Blade I'm not so sure about, never read the comics, and only the first out of 3 movies was any good.
You are right...first movie was the best...here he is saving a damsel in distress.
wink.gif

BladeOct24-small.jpg

Edit...Just watched the first two and I am impressed with this third round...beautifully animated with great action and story telling. To say that this one is so much better than Ironman or Wolverine is an understatement. I like the look of Wolverine in this one since in my mind, he is truer to the Wolverine of my childhood...buffed and wild and so powerful, while The Beast is cuddly and beyond furry and reminded me of some character from Planet of the Apes.
tongue.gif
Gonna have fun watching.

Storm beeing outpowered that fast really is stupid. I could understand it if that happens if she uses a lot of power in a short time, butjust after a few lightning bolts is a joke. Sure she has by far the greatest power of all so she has to be a bit downplayed so that the others dont look too weak compared to her but that takes it too far.

And yes I too think that Wolverine is pretty fat in this show. His looks in the Wolverine anime werent great either, so the one from the hollywood movies really is best.

Storywise its the same old superhero storyline. Evil Organization wants bla bla bla Heroes win. Not that I mind, I just hope it is done right through the end.

QUOTE Storm beeing outpowered that fast really is stupid. I could understand it if that happens if she uses a lot of power in a short time, butjust after a few lightning bolts is a joke. Sure she has by far the greatest power of all so she has to be a bit downplayed so that the others dont look too weak compared to her but that takes it too far.

I tend to agree. I'm rewatching the 90s show right now, and Storm's totally wreaking havoc. Being outpowered quickly was never her main weakness.

QUOTE And yes I too think that Wolverine is pretty fat in this show. His looks in the Wolverine anime werent great either, so the one from the hollywood movies really is best.

TBH I liked his looks from Wolverine anime, I don't see why everyone's hating on it. Yeah, he looked horrible in the previews and promo shots, but the final design actually used in the series was pretty good. The design in the Holywood movies was OK, although it's not really effective to compare live-action with animation/comic book designs.

I think my favourite overall design of Wolverine is Tsutomu Nihei's:

snikt2.jpg

Having watched the series just recently, from a female's point of view, Wolverine was a long, lean, kick ass machine with a cool attitude and an obsessive love. I did not find him attractive as man, but he was okay as a superhero in love. Without going off topic, this Wolverine is much more suited to the X-Men genre and fantasy of an animated superhero. So he gained a few pounds? Does it matter really? Perhaps, those extra pounds have a reason and we just don't know it yet. ;-)

In Wolverine he had too long hair and no beard, so its not really Wolverine in my eyes.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Apr 12 2011, 03:50 AM) In Wolverine he had too long hair and no beard, so its not really Wolverine in my eyes.
Thus my point exactly...some on MAL, labeled that version of Wolverine a "bishie Wolverine." I disagreed but moot point now. Anyway, hope this version fares well to the very end.

Ok so I watched ep 3. It just make me feel like what the hell have marvel been doing if they were capable of this all along. Maybe Xmen is suitably positioned to translate into anime, since the industry regularly deals with discrimination. Maybe they did not know what to with a non self-deprecating character like Tony Stark.

Eitherway, this episode was awesome. It had a nice balance of plot development and good action sequences. I love the fact that Scott is using his beam quite liberally which I always felt was underused. Hisako debuting her power was cliched but still good. I think my words were... Wow!! Dont want to get on her bad side.

Im still terribly skeptical and cynical that marvel will be able to keep this up because well as Ive grown up I switched from Marvel to DC. I just think they handle storytelling better.

Hopefully the series can stay grounded and like I said before convey the conflicting ScottxEmma will eventually face, convincingly.

QUOTE In Wolverine he had too long hair and no beard, so its not really Wolverine in my eyes.

Wolverine originally had no beard, only sideburns. You're getting confused by the crappy Hollywood adaptation. The hair was roughly same length as normal, after they cut it down compared to the trailer.

s01e02nightofthesentine.jpg

Episode 3 one-liner impression: Gratuitous Engrish! ("Meesta taffu gai" lol).

Hisako's power is creating a pokemon-like mecha? Just lol.

Adamantium can be magnetized? Somehow I don't remember that ever being used against Wolverine. One would think that'd be the first thing Magneto would try.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 16 2011, 11:33 PM) Adamantium can be magnetized? Somehow I don't remember that ever being used against Wolverine. One would think that'd be the first thing Magneto would try.
I don't know about the comics or cartoons, but at least in the first movie Magneto tosses Wolverine around cause of the adamantium.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Apr 16 2011, 10:00 PM) I don't know about the comics or cartoons, but at least in the first movie Magneto tosses Wolverine around cause of the adamantium.
Hmm, haven't seen those in a while, and they're hardly compelling enough to watch more than once. The cartoon I'm currently re-watching, but haven't seen it happen yet, and they've already fought Magneto.

Really a good ep.
Emma is a nice addition to the cast because of what Cyclops saw when Jean killed herself. My guess is that she was controlled by someone else or maybe has two personalitys. At least the next eps title could mean that.

On wiki its written that Magneto used to magnetize adamantium quite often and I think its realistic. But since its a ficitonal metal it would be realistic of it doesnt magnetize too ^^

Having watched the first two episodes, at least X-Men seems to have a plot going somewhere. While the transitions are very sudden/jumpy, which makes plot continuity poor, it's significantly more interesting than what Iron Man and Wolverine turned out as.

Character designs wise, Wolverine is really the only one that looks terrible. You would think that they would just keep him the same as the anime that aired in the winter as well as the cameo appearance in the fall.

Animation is definitely the best so far coming from the Marvel x Madhouse collaboration. While my hopes remains low for this series after Marvel failing twice already, hopefully they at least conjure out an interesting story this time.

QUOTE My guess is that she was controlled by someone else or maybe has two personalitys.

Or maybe a shape-shifter? It's a standard plot device in X-men stories...

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back