Windows Vista SP1

Jamjum

-san
Sempai
Well as of February 4, 2008 Microsoft's public beta has fully been tested, Vistas SP 1 which will release Q1 2008, March of 2008 to be more specific is finally coming out. Anyway, do you think vista needs an upgrade?
I think so, the update is fixing a lot of minor bugs which is a great change that I hope too see in 6 weeks too come.
Windows Vista SP1 Article
If anyone has anymore they want to add to this topic please do i would love to know more from others on this. unless you are an XP user then don't bother or if you use both then please add to my topic.

snorky2k

-san
Kouhai
Vista really does need this upgrade. Our home network is small but Vista is very slow at transfering files and that is an issue that is addressed. Also being addressed is the issue of the long delay to pull up a file dialog. We have a domain based network equiped for gigabit speeds that can take a long time to move large files or directories. Having a domain allows us to use a firewall to the outside world while isolating each of our personal computers fom outside view.

Microsoft is also addressing issues for single computer users that will improve the abilitly to work with video files.

monsta666

-the bee's knees
Staff member
Fansub TV Team
QUOTE (snorky2k @ Feb 06 2008, 09:36AM)Vista is very slow at transferring files and that is an issue that is addressed.

Tell me about it! I transferred all my data from one hard drive to another and that process was rather painful. There are still some other bugs that need to be ironed but in the whole even without the service pack I think Vista is better than XP.

snorky2k

-san
Kouhai
Our server is running Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 version one. One of our cats got on my desk and peed on the activation code for my version two while I was out of state working. We have a problem with SBS R1 not recognizing features of Vista. I just got my new pack from Microsoft so I plan on upgrading to a dual server set-up for the house and migrate to either the 32 bit version of Server 2008 or SBS 2003 release two. Since it will be a month before Vista Service pack 1 is out, I expect it will take a couple of days to transfer data from old server to the new server.

My wife was ready to kill me when I built her a new computer and put Vista Business on it. I personnally like Vista and am hoping that these changes help it become more popular. A lot of the slow response file wise is related to the massive amount of anti-attack programming built into Visa. I watch a lot of video while I have a lot of applications running in the background and my system does not bog down or hash. This system only has 4GB of RAM and my biggest personal beef with the 64 bit version is that my HP laser printer does not work with it.

Hiroyuki

-sama
Retired
QUOTE (snorky2k @ Feb 06 2008, 07:13 PM) This system only has 4GB of RAM
"Only 4GB"! Windows 3 used to run fine in 4 MB of RAM, it's mind-boggling to think the latest version of Windows needs a thousand times more RAM than the original version (and a cpu 1000 times faster too I suspect).

snorky2k

-san
Kouhai
QUOTE (Hiroyuki @ Feb 26 2008, 10:15 PM) "Only 4GB"! Windows 3 used to run fine in 4 MB of RAM, it's mind-boggling to think the latest version of Windows needs a thousand times more RAM than the original version (and a cpu 1000 times faster too I suspect).
Windows does not need 4GB. I run some heavy apps working at home. I'd run 16GB if I could find the RAM in the style that I want.

I still like the Commodore 64 that I used to use.

I also had a PDP 8 for a day. Disk drive was the size of a dishwasher. My wife came home and made me get rid of it immediately.

The new version of Windows server has the option to trim it to a size smaller than Linux. But, I am not going to push it.

UnDead-Mushroom

-chan
Kouhai
Lol im going get Vista when there is atleast working SP1... other wise its full of bugs and very crappy .......

Got SP1 installed..........
smile.gif

File copying improved, but apart from that no noticeable difference.
blink.gif

I'm a fairly light user of Vista so i don't really have much trouble with it.
wink.gif

If you didn't like Vista before, SP1 probably won't convince you to like it
dry.gif

ph34r.gif
But then again thats just me
smile.gif

snorky2k

-san
Kouhai
I have had SP1 on my 64bit machine for a week now with no problems. I have not noticed any differences other than the copying either. We are going to try it on one of the 32 bit machines today.

Also, we are going to turn the UAC off in the 32 bit machine. My wife is really annoyed with constantly being asked permission to run programs that she initiates. So, getting rid of those pop-ups will be the biggest improvement.

oppai-ga-suki

-sama
Sempai
Ive been using vista for about a month, I used to think it was crap because of all the negativety around it. In my experience I have not had a problem with vista, it actually runs faster than when I had xp and I only have 1GB of RAM. I installed service pack 1 a week or so ago and I have not noticed any difference from before which is kind of dissapointing.

snorky2k

-san
Kouhai
I like Vista as well. I like to use one computer as much as possible. Rather than switching between computers. The only computer that I remember running multiple apps better was a custom built defense computer that I used to support.

The best parts of Vista are hidden from the normal user's view. Cheap CPU's with quad core processors are already hitting the mainstream. As we get closer to the physical limits of cores, we need to use more cores and make the cores do more with each step. Vista is the foundation for virtualizing the cores. What may be heavy overhead with just a couple of cores, will be an advantage as the core numbers increase. Better to learn and deal with it now than in three years.

It is also a shame that we are just now starting to get 64 bit into mainstream. We should have considered going from 32 to 128 to catch up with graphics. But, few houses in the US even have fiber yet. We only have ADSL in my small community and my brother only has dial-up while he lives.

When Bill Gates visited here about eight years ago, he said that he hoped that we would have mainstream computers with 64 cores and 64 GB of memory on a 64 bit OS common in ten years. I don't know if we are going to make it with the current economy holding everyone back.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more