Window 7 Experience

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Primula

-プリムラ こいびと
Retired
To those people who have to wait till October 22 too bad haha...

Window 7 Ultimate

I have a copy of it legaly and so far every xp stuff I threw at it that some couldnt work on vista work on win 7. There was a certain program I had to change the capatability mode to XP SP3 but It ran great when i did that.

Ram usage on my virtual Machine at start up ,,,just the same as XP 300-400 mb on phsycal and virutal ram.

Sadly it still doesnt support gifs in the window photo viewer...oh well i got a program that can support it. Infran and faststone...=/ not a major issue except when I make gifs. Also my logon screen changer doesnt work but not much of a issue there too I would like to beable to but it alright..... scratch that lol I did a little googling and found one for window 7 that work great it wont allow me to have multiple one as from stardock but I fine with chainging it one at a time. This one name Tweaks.com Logon Changer for Window 7

Currently it on 32-bit Win7 since my host computer is on 32 but when I install it I probaly install my 64 bit os to make uses of all my ram and video card memory.

hummm...what else should i test out...I guess that it for now... anyone else who have a copy i guess reply here too...but the rest will have to wait till Thursday the 22

I know Jul10 have Win7 Pro from his school though...lol Also I need to make certain backup on certain files because I like it and I'm going to use it on my 500gb hd I wont touch my 160gb hd with xp Im leaving it like that if something happen the win7 or the hd i still have a working os and hd lol XD

Some of my question now is will some of the stuff on ftv work with it lol since there was problem with vista.

I've been running 64bit Windows 7 Professional for the past few weeks. Good impressions all around so far, no problems at all. Faster boot times than I've ever experienced on this machine. Unfortunately I'm not making full use of the RAM capabilities alloted to a 64bit OS, but I'll be remedying that in the near future - gonna be buying a couple more gigs of RAM.

Every program so far has worked right off the bat, haven't had to use compatibility for anything so far. Only 'negative' thing I've experienced is watching fansubs from scratch (see my post in the troubleshoot/support section for a really easy fix).

As Kansa said, still no support for animated .gif in the image viewer, but having had that issue in Vista, I'm used to it and don't really car - I use a different program to view ALL my images anyway.

New Paint program is better than the old one with some extra functions and better overall look.

All things java and flash work fine, I've tested using both programs I've written myself and several apps online (including FTV's downloads).

All of my hardware worked immediately, no problems with drivers at all. Didn't even need install disks, it just WORKED which was very cool.
There have also been regular updates, both for security and for drivers.

Personally, I am extremely happy with Windows 7. I have absolutely no complaints about the OS and would recommend it to everyone. My friends have even installed Windows 7 on their netbooks (really crappy speced machines with <=1.6GHz Atom processor, <=1GB RAM, etc) and have noticed better performance over XP. They haven't had any problems whatsoever either...so I would say that even older computers may be able to handle Windows 7.

If someone would like me to test out some stuff, or report some stats or whatnot, just tell me what you'd like me to test/check and I'll see if I can. I'm not willing to install every program under the sun, but I may be willing to test compatibility for some programs if you want.

lol so far I am happy with my 64-bit windows 7 pro, just some school program are not able to work properly unless you do a little "tweaking". Some of the program that I know need a bit work to work properly on windows 7 are:
1. VMWare Server v 1.0.9 (I don't use v2 since I believe the 1.0.9 has better stability for now.)
2. Oracle 11g
3. Daemon tools light (i heard there is an update, but never tried it again) I used alcohol 52% for mounting image now, working well with my w7.

The other issue that I had is the windows restarting suddenly (probably when it is installing critical update). This happened 2-3 times, since I used W7 from last month. At XP, usually it will warns you, but not in here. Not a big deal, if you have an unsaved document, you can force it to not restart now, so no data loss here.

Speaking of GIF, I haven't tried my GIF animator program that I got from kansa, wonder if it is working on 64 bit w7 here...Other program that I still need to test is mkvtoolnix.

Windows Aero (not sure if vista use windows aero or not, since I don't use vista for no more than 1 month) color scheme is also not compatible with Overlay Mixer in Media Player Classic. So, it will change back to Windows basic color scheme, but EVR. custom pres. is working fine here with Windows Aero.

And last thing, is about Open GL feature in photoshop is not working for me. I am not sure whether it's because of my graphic card is not 100% compatible with W7, or just that feature is not functional yet for w7.
sleep.gif

QUOTE (jul10 @ Oct 19 2009, 02:58 AM) lol so far I am happy with my 64-bit windows 7 pro, just some school program are not able to work properly unless you do a little "tweaking". Some of the program that I know need a bit work to work properly on windows 7 are:
1. VMWare Server v 1.0.9 (I don't use v2 since I believe the 1.0.9 has better stability for now.)
2. Oracle 11g
3. Daemon tools light (i heard there is an update, but never tried it again) I used alcohol 52% for mounting image now, working well with my w7.

The other issue that I had is the windows restarting suddenly (probably when it is installing critical update). This happened 2-3 times, since I used W7 from last month. At XP, usually it will warns you, but not in here. Not a big deal, if you have an unsaved document, you can force it to not restart now, so no data loss here.

Speaking of GIF, I haven't tried my GIF animator program that I got from kansa, wonder if it is working on 64 bit w7 here...Other program that I still need to test is mkvtoolnix.

Windows Aero (not sure if vista use windows aero or not, since I don't use vista for no more than 1 month) color scheme is also not compatible with Overlay Mixer in Media Player Classic. So, it will change back to Windows basic color scheme, but EVR. custom pres. is working fine here with Windows Aero.

And last thing, is about Open GL feature in photoshop is not working for me. I am not sure whether it's because of my graphic card is not 100% compatible with W7, or just that feature is not functional yet for w7.
sleep.gif

So...the programs you're having trouble with have been updated but you don't use the updates for one reason or another so don't know if the updated version works....
Regarding Aero: Vista used Aero as well. Aero DOES work with MPC with me...so don't know what the problem is for you...

I've also never had my PC randomly restart...whenever it updates and wants me to restart, it asks me if I want to restart now, or wait and restart later. If I say later, it doesn't ask me to restart ever again until the next time I update. I'm going to have to put that down to an issue with your computer...

I've also had no problems with any features of Photoshop on my install...don't know what that's about. What do you mean it isn't working? How so?
What video card do you have? Most all NVidia and ATI cards are supported right now...

I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate since late August, early September. The two problems I've had so far are that at certain points I would get a ram and cpu spike and my computer randomly begins to "burn up" (had problems playing some of my HD videos for some reason last night even with Superfetch off and Gamebooster on. It would just start causing my video to lag every 5 minutes or so). The second problem would be that I can't transfer stuff directly from one external to another (let alone browse the internet while I'm transferring). It would slow down my comp and ultimately freeze such that I have to do a force shut down.

Anyone had this problem yet or know how to fix it?

I'm running a 64-bit, 2.1 ghz cpu, 4gb ram with nvidia graphics and AMD dual core. Laptop is by HP and is about a year old.

Kit, it sounds like your laptop is probably overheating, and is causing the system to throttle itself to keep from crashing. Have you cleaned out the intake fans with compressed air recently? Have you installed the proper system drivers and made sure that the power saving features are enabled?

It could also be that when you use those usb ports, it causes the south bridge chip on the motherboard to overheat, and may be causing timeouts because of the throttling. As far as a fix, see above. Or the laptop may need to be serviced by a HP service center since the south bridge could be failing.

Many things could be wrong, but try those first, 1 by 1 to see if you can isolate the issue. As for any input about Windows 7, everyone will have to wait until next week when my copy arrives around Monday from Newegg.
tongue.gif

Edit: Something else that occurred to me: that nVidia chip. What is the model and specs for that GPU? It could be that you have one of the many million lemons that nVidia pumped out these past two years that many people have had fail in their laptops. I'll check back later with your answer.

@dchaosblade: the update is only for daemon tools.
For the other 2 program, you need to do a bit "tweaking". For VMWare server, you have disable digital signature to be able to run it on local host. Oracle 11g, you need to add the OS Window7 to the html setting page manually. (I don't remember the name of the file.)

As for photoshop, my photoshop also perfectly working fine. Just the Open GL feature that is not properly functional. (Open GL give you more control on adjusting image on the photoshop, such as easier rotation, etc) I am using intel graphic card, the chipset family i believe.

QUOTE (jul10 @ Oct 19 2009, 02:11 PM) @dchaosblade: the update is only for daemon tools.
For the other 2 program, you need to do a bit "tweaking". For VMWare server, you have disable digital signature to be able to run it on local host. Oracle 11g, you need to add the OS Window7 to the html setting page manually. (I don't remember the name of the file.)

As for photoshop, my photoshop also perfectly working fine. Just the Open GL feature that is not properly functional. (Open GL give you more control on adjusting image on the photoshop, such as easier rotation, etc) I am using intel graphic card, the chipset family i believe.
Integrated graphics chipsets are likely not supported in photoshop for openGL acceleration. I've been running Windows 7 build 7100 for a while now on my laptop and I think it's pretty good. I'm used to vista so there isn't much of a transition other than the taskbar. Other than that on the surface it basically is vista.

@Kit: That gamebooster thing may be the problem. "intensifying processor performance" may imply that your processor is being overclocked and in that case your processor may be giving up the ghost now due to you running the program. Note that I've not used the program so I can't say for sure whether it does in fact overclock your processor.

quick question: If I only have 2GB of ram what benefit does the 64bit have over 32bit? Currently the only difference I know of is 64bit being capable of making effective use of more ram (3+ I believe), but that obviously doesn't matter if I have only 2GB.

Will most likely pick up Windows 7 in a week or 2.

It won't make much of a difference with only 2 GB of ram, though you would potentially be preparing for the future if you decide to add more ram sometime down the line. In that case it would make sense to just switch over to a 64bit kernel and be prepared when the time comes up.

64-bit os = No rootkit...they cant patch the kernel

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Oct 19 2009, 09:46 PM) quick question: If I only have 2GB of ram what benefit does the 64bit have over 32bit? Currently the only difference I know of is 64bit being capable of making effective use of more ram (3+ I believe), but that obviously doesn't matter if I have only 2GB.

The problem with 32bit os is that the max amount of RAM it would recognise is 3.3GB (or so I heard), even if you have 4GB or more of RAM installed.

Also, although Windows 7 that you purchase come both 32 and 64 bit discs, once you registered either version of them, you won't be able to change to the other one in the future- so you'd have to decide which one to use right from the beginning.

Using 32bit would limited your room for taking advantage of extra RAMs in the future, so I would say grab some extra RAMs from stores and go 64bit is the way to go (unless people are using business tools other software that are not compatable with 64bit os). .

P.S. I was looking at the memorys at online stores (UK), and the price is a lot higher than it was a few months ago- how are the prices for memory at US online stores and other countries? I'm sensing memory manufacturers are evily trying to squeeze more money out of peoples' pocket knowing that people are rushing to switch to Win7 64 bits and need more RAMS...

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Oct 19 2009, 09:46 PM) quick question: If I only have 2GB of ram what benefit does the 64bit have over 32bit? Currently the only difference I know of is 64bit being capable of making effective use of more ram (3+ I believe), but that obviously doesn't matter if I have only 2GB.

ohai, noob's 2 cents: 2^32 vs 2^64....
2 G's of ram is okay for now, might be okay for a number of years and thus 32 might be just enough for a long time.

The price of DDR3 memories, especially the triple channeled memories went up a lot. Or it's just me dreaming that they went from 70's to 130's. Yeah, I was looking at them a few months ago and they were dirt cheap. They'll start to come down though.

QUOTE (noob @ Oct 20 2009, 05:30 AM) The price of DDR3 memories, especially the triple channeled memories went up a lot. Or it's just me dreaming that they went from 70's to 130's. Yeah, I was looking at them a few months ago and they were dirt cheap. They'll start to come down though.
I was looking at the prices of the PC6400/800MHz DDR2 RAMS (the max my MB would support), the price is now like increased by like 80% comparing to a few months ago...

QUOTE (Marine-RX179 @ Oct 20 2009, 05:35 AM) I was looking at the prices of the PC6400/800MHz DDR2 RAMS (the max my MB would support), the price is now like increased by like 80% comparing to a few months ago...
DDR2 is becoming more and more expensive as everyone starts to switch to DDR3. The reason being that manufacturers have more or less stopped producing DDR2 and so there is only so much DDR2 memory left to be sold. Of course as the amount of DDR2 available decreases the price increases.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Oct 20 2009, 08:42 AM) DDR2 is becoming more and more expensive as everyone starts to switch to DDR3. The reason being that manufacturers have more or less stopped producing DDR2 and so there is only so much DDR2 memory left to be sold. Of course as the amount of DDR2 available decreases the price increases.
Well, DDR2 RAM ain't the only that is rising...DDR3 RAM price rised too for no apparent reason...except may be like I mentioned they are trying to squeeze more money out of their customers with 64bit Win7 coming...

Anyway I give up on looking for DDR2 RAM at online stores...ebay is the way to go it seem...might get a new or used 2x2GB 800MHz ram from auction at a bargain price if I'm lucky...

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Oct 19 2009, 01:16 AM) Also my logon screen changer doesn't work but not much of a issue there too I would like to be able to but it alright..... scratch that lol I did a little googling and found one for window 7 that work great it wont allow me to have multiple one as from stardock but I fine with changing it one at a time. This one name Tweaks.com Logon Changer for Window 7
Windows 7 supports native changes to the logon screen:
How to change the logon screen

On the same token:
How to change the logon screen buttons

If that isn't enough for you, there's also this

Umm did you read my post that last part already part of my post plus I saw that before I didnt want to mess with the registry before but actually now... I probaly go the registry way. Although I didnt think of making the button different but now...lol XD

Well it out today btw anyone got it?

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Oct 23 2009, 01:09 AM)
Well it out today btw anyone got it?

Yes, i got it this morning. Currently im debating where to install win7. I was planning on installing win7 64- disc on my pc and 32- on my laptop. But apparenty i wont be allowed to share the license. Makes me wonder what is the point of the two discs.

It would probably serve me better use on my laptop for Uni work etc. But i also want win7 64 on my pc for gaming and anime pleasure. This really sucks.

I installed 7 several days ago and I'd definitely say they really did a great job with it. The interface is very polished and it runs quickly. I have zero complaints so far.

My real reason for posting is to make sure that you guys are aware of the whole Nanami Madobe thing. Microsoft has an officially endorsed OS-tan for the Windows 7 release in Japan; That being Nanami.

Up until now, there have been tons of fan created OS-tans but not that were actually Microsoft endorsed. It doesn't just top at the fact that they've endorsed her though.. they actually got Mizuki Nana to voice her. If you don't know her by name, she's done stuff like Fate from Nanoha and Hinata from Naruto... or at least that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

But yeah... basically there's a whole Nanami theme for Windows 7 with voiced events. Like when you log off she says, "Mata ne," and when you log on it's, "Okairi." There's a ton of them. She makes weird sounds when you do just about anything.. here's a link with a video that shows pretty much all the sounds (minus that last one).

http://www.notcliche.com/lbw/windows-7s-os...n-madobe-nanami

Good Job, Microsoft!

Edit: I will say that some of the sounds started to piss me off after awhile, so I limited it to her talking when something somewhat rare happens... log on/off, shutdown, errors, etc...

Edit2: I would have rather seen an abusive Kugimiya Rie loli voice... but you can't have everything.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back