Which Laptop to choose from?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

marrylucas234

Kouhai
I'm very confuse right now on which one to choose from. Both cost the same and the only differences are LCD 17" and 15" inch and one comes with Quad and the other with I7.

Should I upgrade:
1) The ram to 6GB or 8GB or stay 4GB
2) For M17x processor to Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme Mobile Processor QX9300 (2.53GHz/ 1066 FSB/ 12MB Cache)

or

3) For M15x processor to Intel® Core™ I7-920XM Mobile Processor Extreme Edition (2GHz, turbo up to 3.2GHz, 8MB L3 Cache)

I'm not much of a hard core gamer but I do wish to have an Alienware for my own.

Please give me recommendations about these two different spec. Any advices on upgrade or suggestions will be taken seriously.

M15x Spec
- Metallic Space Black Base
- Intel® Core™ I7-820QM Mobile Processor (1.73GHz, turbo up to 3.06GHz, 8MB L3 Cache)
- 4GB Dual-channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)
- 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
- Slot Load Fixed Blu-ray BD-ROM / DVD + /-RW Combo Drive
- 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M

M17x Spec
- Metallic Space Black Base
- Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9100 (2.26GHz/ 1066 FSB/ 12MB Cache)
- 4GB Dual-channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)
- 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
- Slot Load Fixed Blu-ray BD-ROM / DVD + /-RW Combo Drive
- Single 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M

Thanks for all your help.

Ram upgrade is worthless unless you have a 64bit OS on the comp. I'm going to assume this is the case.

For me, personally, screen real-estate is essential, I can't live without on my main comp (netbook is another beast entirely).,

Now, the way I look at it, you get the same video card regardless of which you go for, so the only difference really is RAM, Processor, and screen size. This having been said, 4GB of RAM is likely enough so long as you don't do a lot of multitasking or really hard grunt work on the computer. More RAM is nice, but not really that big a deal unless you really use it. The processor will make more of a difference, but the Core 2 (quad core, btw) will likely stand up to all your needs without too much problems...

Me, personally, I'd go with a 17 inch screen, whichever one that is. The other differences are - for me - negligible. Given the chance on the 17 inch, I'd upgrade my processor first. RAM can be added later down the road if I felt I needed more but 4GB would probably be fine.

The core 2 duo is my choice.
GAMING laptops will have short lives. Nature of the beast. You will find those that haven't discovered this yet. Those that need a laptop for more than 2 years opt for simple Intel GMA solutions. I'll give the Intel 4500 GMA the nod here.
Gaming? Get the 360, PS3, etc.

The 17" sounds like a better choice to me, as long as you don't have to lug it around too much - i.e. if it's a desktop replacement. You may not realize it, but traveling with a 17" laptop PC is pretty bothersome.

All I have to say is WOW

those laptops sadly are close to AMD's best desktop cpus 965, 955. on stock speeds.

Thats one mean lean laptop.

Personally I would just get a laptop for casual use, and have a desktop for more straining tasks.

The money you are going to spend on that laptop probably could net you a serious gaming desktop and a casual laptop.

Gaming desktop costs roughly 700.
Casual Laptop prob 400.

Those laptops are probably easily over 1000.
and the GTX 260M is crap, can even compete with a desktop 8800GT which is 5 years old?

Assuming those screens are 1080p, your gaming experience will suffer since you have to bump the resolution some bumps down to avoid lag since 260m can support 1080p.

if your bent on getting those hardcore laptops, id get the 17inch like everyone says, the better cpu is the i7 but not by much. only marginally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back