What would you like to know about Iceland

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
No , its got such a small population that illegal immigrants have close to no way of getting by unnoticed, also there is allmost no way to get into the country exept for the legal routes by flight or ship, it takes ships a looong time to get to other countries.
The reason the immigrants started letting immigrants in in big numbers is that we had a lack of workers for the low paying jobs,
We can be very stupid that way, grumbling about outsiders taking the jobs we didnt intend to take anyways, its like not wanting to let your sister have the pudding you dont like, really stupid

Okay, while i was at school today, i was wondering.

1. What are the schools like in Iceland??

2. What kind of educations are there in Iceland??

toni there's a birtish phrase for that "dog in a manger"...the imagery is of a dog taking up the manger preventing christ or whatever from being in it even though the dog doesnt need to lying in the manger.
That reminds me, are there any interesting cultural phrases?

QUOTE (tonifreyr @ Feb 08 2008, 09:49 AM)The reason the government started letting immigrants in in big numbers is that we had a lack of workers for the low paying jobs,
We can be very stupid that way, grumbling about outsiders taking the jobs we didn't intend to take anyways, its like not wanting to let your sister have the pudding you don't like, really stupid

That's the case in most countries we don't want to do the rubbish low paying jobs but as soon as an immigrant starts doing it people start yelling they're taking our jobs! Don't kick yourself too hard you are not alone!

edge017, someone already asked about the attractiveness of the women in Iceland, please look at the first page and try not to repost questions that have already been asked.

QUOTE (Gustl1976 @ Feb 08 2008, 10:51 AM)toni there's a birtish phrase for that "dog in a manger"...the imagery is of a dog taking up the manger preventing christ or whatever from being in it even though the dog doesnt need to lying in the manger.
That reminds me, are there any interesting cultural phrases?

Hmm........
huh.gif
, well there are alot of them, Icelandic people used to love phrases like that, I dont use them much and I cant think of any right now, when i remember any Ill post them in this thread, translate them and explain them.

QUOTE (Chuuko @ Feb 08 2008, 10:23 AM)Okay, while i was at school today, i was wondering.

1. What are the schools like in Iceland??

2. What kind of educations are there in Iceland??

The education here is pretty much the standard thing, 10 years elementary mandatory, then high school, optional 3-6 years depending on what you learn.
There are two types of High schools, Class systems and Point system,
In class system you have the same kids with you in every class and they study the same thing you do, kinda like the elementary system, the subjects for every year are fixed, its also systematic and if you fail one subject you have to take the whole class again.
in the Point system however you choose wich subjects to take and share each of them with different kids, And if you for instance fail english 203 but pass Geramn 303, you get to take the next class for german while repeating the english class.

You have to retake a year if you fail a subject? That sucks! You should come to England you can fail all you want and not have to worry about retaking the year! Look at Wayne Rooney didn't pass a single GCSE and is earning millions!
mad.gif

Here are two more questions for you:
What is the healthcare system like in Iceland? Is it private or public?
What are the main political parties in Iceland and what are their general beliefs? (I suppose that question is a 2 in 1 question
tongue.gif
)

The health care here is public, we have some mandatory payments, a percentage of our pay, that goes into our health care, However, some things we need done requier payment to the hospital.

I know next to nothing about politics, they are complicated and boring, so I keep my nose out of them

I know this though, The president has close to no power over the government, he only has the right to say no to the congress, The prime minister is the real power, presidents just a figurehead, the face of the country.
Well he married to a woman that could probably buy all the country, so I guess he has some power
wink.gif

So how diverse is the population of iceland? I didnt see this question being asked so i am sorry if someone else already posted it.

I've never seen any numbers, but based on personal experience i'd say 80% of the population are icelandic, the rest are immigrants of all types.

80% is a very vague number though so dont take it too seriously

Here you go:

1: What Timezone(s) is Iceland in?
2: Is there anything Iceland is known for besides it's name that is unique to itself?
3: What is Iceland's army like (assuming it has one), as well as the other armed services? Do you have to enlist? How large is it?
4: What is the avg. snowfall in Iceland during the winter?
5: Any animals that are unique to Iceland, or are natural wildlife that are less common elsewhere around the world?

I second the line of questioning about Iceland's military.

Also is their any general consensus about The Immigrant Song from Led Zeppelin? Seeing as its about vikings and Iceland was founded by vikings. Is it like your guys equivalent of Sweet Home Alabama for people from Alabama?

What is the language? Seems similar to the one used by Celts...
Got any legends, myths, folktales?

I will answer all these questions tomorrow,
Im falling behind in school(skóli) and need to do shitloads of homework(heimavinna)

Well I found out the answer to one question on my own. Iceland doesn't have a standing military of any sort. Just a special police group that acts as an anti terrorist SWAT team that handles stuff way too heavy for the regular police. They also seem to have a small peacekeeping force they send to help out with some NATO/United Nation stuff and they have gone to Iraq but it seems they are very small. So unless Wikipedia has been majorly vandalized Iceland doesn't have much in the way of a defense force.

Hey is it true the British just kind of walked in and occupied Iceland in 1940?

QUOTE (smokie @ Feb 12 2008, 02:28 AM)Iceland doesn't have a standing military of any sort.

Hey is it true the British just kind of walked in and occupied Iceland in 1940?
With a total population about the same as an English city, I think Iceland has too few people to have a viable military. Look at it this way, the British armed forces number more than the entire population of Iceland!

I expect the British occupied Iceland to stop the Germans doing it, and help secure the vital Atlantic sea routes during WWII. Iceland would have been an excellent place to station German U-boats to attack Atlantic convoys.

The funny thing is, Iceland has since been busy conquering Britain — Icelandic businessmen have bought up a lot of businesses in the UK in recent years.

Here are another 5 questions for ya
smile.gif

1. How do you pronounce iceland in icelandic??

2. What is the traditional clothing called??

3. Is the Icelandic fire department good in reaction of a fire or other emergency's??(reaction time)

4. What is the smallest city or town in Iceland??

5. Are the teachers strict in the Icelandic schools??

I think these are rather simple questions for ya, but i can't think of any difficult one's right now..........

Hey all, sry for not responding to all the questions.
My mental stability has not been very good for the past year and a half.
But im feeling better now(for the time being).

SO!
I decided this would be a fun way to make a comeback.
Illl be checking this thread a couple a times a week to see if there are any more questions.
I bet theres a bunch cause of icesave and all that excrement.

First questions will be answered tomorrow(saturday), as in some of the questions above first, mainly cause I have nothing good to do tomorrow until evening.

A random fun fact about iceland.

In, iceland a childs last name is USUALLY, not always decided by the name of the father.
So lets say a kid is born, in case its a boy(lets call him Jón(john)) And the fathers name is Steinar(Rock, Its actually the plural Rocks, but Rock Fits better, could also be translated into Stone or Stones) Then his name would be Jón Steinarsson or John Stoneson.
Then John Stonesons Child would be called (lets say his name is Rikki(Rick) Rikki Jónsson or Rick Johnsson.

But if it were a girl its pretty much the same, but instead of -son it would be -Dóttir(daughter).
So her name is Elísabet(elisabeth) And if Steinar(Stone) had her she would be, Elísabet Steinarsdóttir or Elisabeth Stonesdaughter, or if she were johns child Elísabet Jónsdóttiror Elisabeth Johnsdaughter .

I, personally am different from all the others, My fathers father Is from the Faroe Islands so i have a family name from There wich is Andreassen, And my mother is part german, from there Röver

So my name is Anton Freyr Andreassen Röver, 2 first names and 2 last names.

You can add me on facebook if you want, just leave a message with the friend request about being from Fansub tv.

Well. thats it for now, and i hope noone will begrudge me for being away for so long.

toodles

oh and ps. My profile still says I want to be a surgeon, I actually laughed, That felt like a lifetime ago. Im studying to become an electrician now.

toodles for realz now.

Sry bout all this, I am really tired, its like 6 am, or pm, i dont know the difference, its nighttime allmost morning.

Edit: I just started to wonder, instead of babbling about everything i just did in the post, i should have just answered your questions from 2 years ago
Well, il do it tomorrow, If I see people are still interested in this thread

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back