Video games and gender

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Sai

-san
Kouhai
I was thinking about whether this would belong in the video games section, but seeing as how this is about why males are more into games than females, there might be considerably fewer female points of view there.
So why are guys more into games than girls? I don't think it's necessarilly a culture difference because even in a place like Japan, men are the main gamers. The main thing separating males from females are physical matters (strength, anatomy, etc.), which don't really come into play as far as games are concerned. So why are so many guys attracted to games while females don't see much of an allure? After thinking for a while I though, maybe females don't have as much of a sense of competetiveness as males do and thus don't really feel an urge to play games? Even then, that would only apply to multiplayer games. (Unless you consider playing against AI competition). If there are games that grils are willing to play they seem to be puzzle type games like Tetris, etc. There is no rivalry whatsoever. You simply do your best and whatever the objective of the game is. I'm just grasping straws. What do you think?

IMO there are a lot of factors involved.

One of which is the intended audience of games. Most games ARE [whether we like it or not] aimed at the male population. I guess this is pretty much, fundamentally obvious. Examples are games like DoA, Rumble Roses, GTA, etc.
Another point supporting this is most of the games around in circulation have storylines which cater every man's/boy's fantasy. Saving a damsel in distress, playing in the NFL/NBA/etc. Genres also have an important role in this.

Another possible point maybe because of what girls/boys tend to play when they were young. Boys tend to play cops and robbers while girls tend to play around with dolls etc. [Maybe a stereotypical view, but you gotta admit that it's pretty true and down to earth.] Since boys are much more easily attracted to brawling and fighting than girls, games like action games and fighting games where they get to act out the martial arts character of their ego's tend to catch their attention more than the females'.

Another possibility is the way men think. Most of the time, men would settle arguments through fighting while women tend to be more sensitive. I find it hard to explain in words. Let me organize my thoughts on this one.

Also, maybe men slack more often than women? LOL i find this rather, an amusing fact. Although i think it has no DIRECT influence, i think it still has the slightest shred of effect.

There are a lot of possible reasons out there, i can come up with more and post them here next time.

I think it has more to do with marketing. I know females who love video games. Maybe not quite to the extent of males, but it is something they do every single day. Though from my observation, girls tend to like games that fall into RPGs - Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts are really popular with the girls I know.

QUOTE (khael @ Oct 29 2007, 12:50 PM)Boys tend to play cops and robbers while girls tend to play around with dolls etc. [Maybe a stereotypical view, but you gotta admit that it's pretty true and down to earth.]
No, I don't think it's "pretty true and down to earth". It depends on personal situation. My brother and I always played cops and robbers with the neighbour kids - most of which were female. My brother was less inclined to play with my dolls, but my friends and I never had any problems playing the stereotypical "boy games". I built hot-wheel tracks, I played "construction site" in the sandbox, I even played with army men. Now, in a family where there are only sisters, this might not happen as much. But having a brother, those toys were available to me and I certainly didn't play only with dolls.

Also, in this day and age I think one really needs to define what a video game is. Only console games? Hand held units like Gameboys? Computer games? I know girls with all of these. Today, we grow up with electronic games. Even when I was in first grade, we always had a couple periods a week where we went and played games on the computer. It is becoming a much more integrated part of our culture, and I don't think girls are missing out.

So I think it really depends on the marketing. I don't know too many girls who would, at current, go line up the night before for a video-game release, but they would at least pre-order and try to get it ASAP. You do see more children's games orientated toward young girls now, so I think it will become more popular.

I said TEND TO, i didn't say ALL THE TIME/ALWAYS.
Anyways, this is precisely what i wanted to hear. err read. The majority of FPS players are male and most of the females tend to play RPG type games but the majority is still male. Hence cops and robbers and dolls.
Males tend to enjoy violence and gore much more than women.
Add to that the fact that a majority of the games in circulation out now are aimed towards men.

BUT, despite the abundance and popularity of such RPG games, only a few actually get hooked. Let's just say that for some reason, males tend to get hooked and addicted much more than women. Maybe it's the way of thinking, hormones etc. I don't know, i'm not a rocket scientist or a German physicist. People like Konata Izumi of Lucky Star have VERY isolated cases.

That's the current situation right now. Unless there's some huge something that will affect how women views games, i don't think the amount of female gamers will be greater than the amount of male gamers [I think it's more plausible to think of the ratio evening out].

BTW you're a girl?!!!!

Also, we should define what a gamer is first by how much he/she spends time in gaming. I don't know what's the average. I am a gamer, i can spend 20 hours non stop [Of course i had bathroom breaks.]. But i've had a decline this past month because of vacation. Sigh.

QUOTE (khael @ Oct 29 2007, 01:52 PM)The majority of FPS players are male and most of the females tend to play RPG type games but the majority is still male. Hence cops and robbers and dolls.

I'm not really sure I see the link. If you're implying that dolls = RPG mentality, I would say that cops&robbers is just as much an RPG mentality but with violence. And I don't think women "enjoy" violence less than men. It's just how it is marketed and targeted by the industry. A female-targeted game that had violence wouldn't necessarily be a flop.

I agree that the ratio of male:female gamers will probably even out, as the next generation has more and more games targeted at them. I believe differences in thought-patterns are what people actually attribute to boys being drawn to video games. Looking specifically at the example of myself and my brother, I can't for the life of me beat video games, even some of the simpler ones. Yet my brother is really good at them. Does this reflect in our learning abilities? Because my brother has problems with academics, while I find writing essays, etc comes easily to me.

I don't want to go much further, because then this thread should really be merged with the "Females" thread. There are, of course, probably many scientific divergences we could go into. But from my position, I would say it is marketing and perhaps differences in the way people think that accounts for the 'absence' of female gamers at current.

As for a definition of a gamer, I still think that depends on what you define as a videogame. I have female friends who can spend 20+ hours on their computer playing the Sims. Does that make them equal to someone who can spend 20+ at their console playing Halo?

QUOTE (khael @ Oct 29 2007, 01:52 PM)BTW you're a girl?!!!!
I thought the "best female member" bar in my sig made that clear?
huh.gif
lol

I know this girl in my school who seems to be a bigger gamer than even me, and I'm a serious gamer myself o_O TO be honest, it depends on personal preferences and what you grow up with. I know lots of girls who love old school games cause they grew up with them like Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Bros, etc. But as for more recent games, most girls don't really play them sadly. But I believe, it depends what your born into, if you live with a serious gamer, then your gonna be a gamer, if your never introduced to games, you probably wont become a serious gamer.

It's not that girls hate video games, but rather they dont give them a try I guess, they are un-knowledgeable about them, the same goes for adults. My dad used to love playing Doom 2 and racing games on the Sega Genesis, but now since he hasn't really had the time to learn about new games, he doesn't play em anymore. My sis still loves killing games, like GTA, MGS or any other shooter, she's even better than me at Golden Eye for the N64.

The Wii has changed all this though, many more girls, adults, younger kids, are playing games now cause the Wii is so innovative and fun for all ages and both genders.

I don't buy the whole "women are turned off by violence" theory either becaue there are tons of games out there with none, minimal, or just comical violence. If you beleive the negative hype about Nintendo, those are the only types of games they have. But seriously there are platform games, racing games, sidescrolling shooter games, etc... And back during the NES era and the first generation of gamers, there were no FPS or other really violent, gory games. Yet women still didn't find much interest.

As far as one's upbringing goes, it probably has some influence but if that were a major factor, then most only children would not be gamers. If you have no brothers and sisters to influence you, then you're the only one who decides what's fun for you. And everyone will be introduced to video games at some point in their life. The first generation of gamers had to come from somewhere and they were primarily males. I think that most male children, when seeing a video game for the first time, instantly get drawn in while females don't give it a try because they just aren't interested (or lose interest quickly).

As for the definition of a gamer, I dont think it matters if the game is played on a console, computer, or in an arcade center. But if someone's gaming is restricted to one game like Sims, I hesitate to call them a gamer. Especially if the game is Sims of all games.
smile.gif
That's just like leading a second life rather than gaming (I think. Never played the Sims so not too familiar with it).

eh? i don't believe gender never was a factor to begin with, you'd be surprised to how many female gamers there really are out there.

and there's no sense in trying to rationalize a reasoning to it, why would anyone do that to begin with anyway?

yeah, this is major stereotyping here, my sister played video games more then i did when we were kids,..and that was in the early 80s....

It's true that childhood influences can make a bit of a difference, but thats really like anything else in life, why should video games be a more centered point then anything else? you either do it, or you don't, trying to pick a person's brain of the "why" is just plain waste of energy.

i apologize if this comes off as rude, but the whole concept seems more like "TV" then reality.

i kinda giggled a bit at the GTA comment, that made me think of how my sister liked to play it only to imagine the people in it as her boss from work.

again I'm sorry, i know some of this may become misconstrued as some type of flame towards this topic, but i really don't mean it that way
sad.gif

i just strongly believe gender doesn't effect a person's personalty, or they're hobbies or how they spend they're time. with Video games being more an integrated part of our (and many other's) Culture, it's just hard for me to say what gender is more of a dominant gamer, i just know too many female gamers i guess, and believe me, they have a lot of the same game preferences as guys do
tongue.gif

P.S. My sister could own anyone in Tekken....scary huh? (well maybe, hehe, she's just so darn good! XD)

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Oct 29 2007, 03:18 PM) I'm not really sure I see the link. If you're implying that dolls = RPG mentality, I would say that cops&robbers is just as much an RPG mentality but with violence. And I don't think women "enjoy" violence less than men. It's just how it is marketed and targeted by the industry. A female-targeted game that had violence wouldn't necessarily be a flop.

I agree that the ratio of male:female gamers will probably even out, as the next generation has more and more games targeted at them. I believe differences in thought-patterns are what people actually attribute to boys being drawn to video games. Looking specifically at the example of myself and my brother, I can't for the life of me beat video games, even some of the simpler ones. Yet my brother is really good at them. Does this reflect in our learning abilities? Because my brother has problems with academics, while I find writing essays, etc comes easily to me.

I don't want to go much further, because then this thread should really be merged with the "Females" thread. There are, of course, probably many scientific divergences we could go into. But from my position, I would say it is marketing and perhaps differences in the way people think that accounts for the 'absence' of female gamers at current.

As for a definition of a gamer, I still think that depends on what you define as a videogame. I have female friends who can spend 20+ hours on their computer playing the Sims. Does that make them equal to someone who can spend 20+ at their console playing Halo?

I thought the "best female member" bar in my sig made that clear?
huh.gif
lol
Cops and robbers is role playing yes, so is CS, two teams, one of them counter terrorist [Cops], the other one is the terrorist team [robbers]. As for the role playing kid's games, there are those wherein they play the role of a family, tea party etc.

What we should consider is not what type of game you play to be called a gamer but "HOW MUCH YOU PLAY". Let's say for example, a girl plays every 2 days or so for about 2 hours, then stops after finishing the game, then finds another game after 2 months and goes through the same routine again. Is she a gamer? People who play on the arcades occssionally but just for the fun of it. Are they gamers?

Let's face it, a huge part of the current population play games but not all of them are considered as gamers, and only a few of the gamers are labeled as pro gamers. Even so, the line between gamer and non gamer is too little too vague for us to understand which part of the population are the gamers.

As for the women don't like violence part. Let's just define violence in terms of GTA violence. Not the Kingdom Hearts type of violence. Let's say women settle fights through talking and the most violent thing they could do is a cat fight [Disclaimer: There are exceptions.]. Most women are sensitive, while most men tend to settle fights through brawls and such. Also, men introduced sports like wrestling, gladiators, etc. [Greek and Roman history]. I haven't found any woman shouting WOOHOO when a head comes flying off in a game. Or maybe the psyche of women on games is similar to the one of most adults towards anime?

As for the NES era, yes the games aren't that much gory back then, but the gamers of that generation still stand out or are considered socially deviant, although don't know what exact implications this has to do with the whole gender thing going on.

QUOTE ([Neo) - JubeiChan,Oct 30 2007, 08:34 AM]eh? i don't believe gender never was a factor to begin with, you'd be surprised to how many female gamers there really are out there.

and there's no sense in trying to rationalize a reasoning to it, why would anyone do that to begin with anyway?

yeah, this is major stereotyping here, my sister played video games more then i did when we were kids,..and that was in the early 80s....

It's true that childhood influences can make a bit of a difference, but thats really like anything else in life, why should video games be a more centered point then anything else? you either do it, or you don't, trying to pick a person's brain of the "why" is just plain waste of energy.

i apologize if this comes off as rude, but the whole concept seems more like "TV" then reality.

i kinda giggled a bit at the GTA comment, that made me think of how my sister liked to play it only to imagine the people in it as her boss from work.

again I'm sorry, i know some of this may become misconstrued as some type of flame towards this topic, but i really don't mean it that way

i just strongly believe gender doesn't effect a person's personalty, or they're hobbies or how they spend they're time. with Video games being more an integrated part of our (and many other's) Culture, it's just hard for me to say what gender is more of a dominant gamer, i just know too many female gamers i guess, and believe me, they have a lot of the same game preferences as guys do

P.S. My sister could own anyone in Tekken....scary huh? (well maybe, hehe, she's just so darn good! XD)

This topic maybe stereotypical, but it is supported by facts, it really is real.

This i think ought to be the real question:
Women play games but not as much as men, why?

BTW off topic, i just found out that the first game [Played on some sonar/radio/telegraph/gague thingy] was made by males. LOL all men are slackers.

Finally, please spare me the females thread. The topic of that thread is sooo vague i cannot come up with a suitable reply.

first of all i am a male gamer. use to be a hardcore gamer but stopped a little after grade 9 came into play. As for the discussion that is going on, my opinion would be that all of you are right. It does have to do with how they the games are marketed, how the "gamer" has been brought up and all of the other points that have been stated (except for the fact that women are turned of by violence). It also has to do with how the gamer sees the game as a whole. For ex: A first person shooter game such as call of duty, most people will argue that it is a waste of money to buy, because all you do is shot people and, but after if you analyze the game further it shows the heroic story of a single soldier who's a little person in this continental fight and how his/her story is important, and not just female's argue this point but males do too, so if you are a person who likes hero tales then this would be appealing to you. I personally haven't met a lot of female gamers and when i say gamers i don't mean who play miniclip games. It also does have to do with how you are brought up in your childhood. I personally had a lot of female influence, meaning i would be dressed up nice and spiffy looking cloths and had nail polish put on and such. Also mostly play with my females cousins (and no i am not hunted by my past). Yet i also had interactions with my male cousins who likes to play games and do the dangerous stuff, resulting in me liking to play games and be a neat freak who doesn't like anything out of place and to look nice. So as to where i am going with this is that it depends on each and every person on them selfs to be a recognized or called a gamer, and a lot of factors contribute to that final term.

QUOTE (khael @ Oct 30 2007, 10:26 AM)This i think ought to be the real question:
Women play games but not as much as men, why?

I really like that question a lot better
tongue.gif
it's a bit more generalized and much kinder then the previous question ^-^

although, i wouldn't be able to answer this whole hearted either, because where i live, guys; (at least the younger ones) play more with their cars then they do with video games.
Oh i'm sure they get they're fair share, but i think they care more about they're cars then anything. XD

(we actually have a gang called the "cool car club" in our area, it's so sad, yet so funny
tongue.gif
)

a bit more on-topic: I think i'd imagine a woman, would be more prone into playing RPG's, or something that offered an engrossing story, not to say they wouldn't ONLY play those type of games, i'm sure their are plenty of Resident Evil fan-girls out there, getting their kicks by shooting poor defenseless zombies. xD

(*Blam!* ..this is for missing our anniversary!, *Pow!* ...this is for not calling me! *Ka-Splat!!* ...and that.. is for cheating on me with my best friend!
*PummelPummelHeadShot*)

Well... I'm a business major in college, and in Human Resources Management as well as Organizational Behavior we talk about the differences (in GENERAL) about the difference in how men and women think.

To boil it down, guys are generally objective-based while girls are generally relation-based. This actually does a pretty fair job of explaining why guys still dominate the console gaming areas (where the games are generally very based around objectives) and girls are making up a growing portion of MMOs, where who you know and what you do with them is just as important, if not more important, than wandering out in the wilderness and doing quests.

"Women play games but not as much as men, why?"

Seems like the same question to me but sure. Any other views?

Well that's still the best i can come up with, feel free to add any more suggestions on how we can ask the question i a better way which is not very discriminating or offending. Something that's a bit more constructive and clear that we can answer truthfully without having offended anyone.

I read that recently that in Japan the number of females who play the Wii outnumber, or will at least soon outnumber the number of males who play the Wii.

...but the number of people who play games on computer, playstation and XBox remains predominantly male. Being a tech-junkie, I believe the reason for this stems from the very dawn of modern-day computer technology. Back when the very, very, very first pc came out (it was nothing more than a box with switches and light bulbs), the ONLY people interested were geeky guys, and it was those same geeky guys who would go on the build up the insane empires of apple, microsoft, etc., all very small at the time. Very much the same thing happened when the original video game consoles were created, only geeky guys thought it was cool that the manipulation of 1s and 0s could allow you to play something as awe-inspiring as Pong. The initial audience of video games were geeky guys, so games were geared towards geeky guys, and continued to do so as video games gained in popularity.

There are now many more females playing video games than the good ol' days of the Atari, and I think that points towards the idea the video games aren't a male-intended activity, but that games have just classically been geared towards guys since the geeky foundations of video games came about. ...but I don't know, maybe it points towards females as a whole gaining more manly/geeky tastes? Either way works for me.

iviva la revolucion!

What's offensive about "Males are more interested in games than women"? It's true. And there's nothing wrong or bad about that. It's like saying males are more interested in sex/sports than women. Also true.

QUOTE (EggBeast @ Nov 09 2007, 06:28 PM) I read that recently that in Japan the number of females who play the Wii outnumber, or will at least soon outnumber the number of males who play the Wii.

...but the number of people who play games on computer, playstation and XBox remains predominantly male. Being a tech-junkie, I believe the reason for this stems from the very dawn of modern-day computer technology. Back when the very, very, very first pc came out (it was nothing more than a box with switches and light bulbs), the ONLY people interested were geeky guys, and it was those same geeky guys who would go on the build up the insane empires of apple, microsoft, etc., all very small at the time. Very much the same thing happened when the original video game consoles were created, only geeky guys thought it was cool that the manipulation of 1s and 0s could allow you to play something as awe-inspiring as Pong. The initial audience of video games were geeky guys, so games were geared towards geeky guys, and continued to do so as video games gained in popularity.

There are now many more females playing video games than the good ol' days of the Atari, and I think that points towards the idea the video games aren't a male-intended activity, but that games have just classically been geared towards guys since the geeky foundations of video games came about. ...but I don't know, maybe it points towards females as a whole gaining more manly/geeky tastes? Either way works for me.

iviva la revolucion!
Hmmm, surprisingly a good point. Made by men, originally for men.

@Sai

Touche'. I was just avoiding any more unecessary conflict since i've experienced a lot lately. Phew.
BTW, the sex part, i totally agree!

Random info i just got today.

Farming in game currency for online mmo's to be sold to the US, EU, or SEA countries is a JOB in China. As for the company featured, around half of the players were femmes. Yes. Looks like things like this will attract women to gaming. But i still do hope that things remain as they are now because if almost half the population of a country are gamers, then there's bound to be trouble in the economy. Too much of one thing is never good.

I'm a girl gamer....I have three systems that I play on right now (not counting my GBASP). I admit that I'm not the biggest fan of FPS....but that's because right now it's pretty much overrun with the halo franchise (in my opinion). But I used to love playing Goldeneye with my friends and right now my boyfriend and I are playing though all the levels (easy, medium, hard) on Time Splitters (come on, who wouldn't want to play as a gun-wielding ninja monkey?). I like the resident evil games as well. I play fighting games, RPG's, dance games, as well as puzzle games. If I just want some mindless fun I'll pop in Dr. Mario and play for about an hour to wind down. I can't stand sport games......I'd rather go outside and play soccer or basketball or even front yard football instead of playing it on a video game.

I started playing video games when texas instruments (yeah, remember that?) had a game on it. And I remember playing pole position in the arcades. My family had an atari, an intellivision, a colecovision, and then we graduated to the nintendo gaming systems. I grew up with it. It was something I could do in the house when it was raining outside or we had to come in when the street lights came on.

But that was back then. I think now, girls are being bombarded with messages from the tv, magazines, movies, whathaveyou, to focus on being cute and/or sexy. I mean, most of the guys you see in the media go for the girl who is "girly" not the one who speaks her mind or does what she wants to do. Not all girls are like that, but it seems like more girls want to be stars and divas instead of just being themselves. I dunno, I might be rambling, but that's what I think about when I see young ladies nowdays.

And to the other females for gaming.....I say ROCK ON!!! or maybe GAME ON!!!!

I think it mainly depends on the marketing of the product. Anyone who makes a game cannot technically make a game that will appeal to everyone. Just like males, females will all like different genres of games, different things in games etc. People set off with a general idea of what type of audience they are targeting their game to etc. Marketing and small details in games show this.

It is still very true that males play games and are gamers much more than females, however this gap is very slowly closing and more female players are playing games, as more different ideas are being expanded.

I am a female gamer, however have grown up playing games. When I was little, I lived out in the middle of nowhere and all the way through school it was totally unknown for girls to play videogames, and it was taken as a very negative attitude. However now, its a lot more common than it was, and in my class there are actually three female gamers (I am a videogames design student). We all like playing totally different genres and like totally different things in games.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back