Upotte!!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Nemingway

-Ecchi Elitist
Sempai
upotte-title.jpg

Title: Upotte!!
Type: TV
Episodes: 12 (?)
Airing: 2012-04-07
Producers: XEBEC

Cast:
Iori Nomizu as Funko (FNC)
Misuzu Togashi as Ichiroku (M16A4)

Aya Gōda as Ichihachi (AR18)
Kaori Sadohara as Shigu (SG550)
Mami Kosuge as Jiisuri (G3A3)
Mina as Faru (FAL L1A1)
Misato as Eru (L85A1)
Saeko Zōgō as Ichiyon (M14)
Shizuka Furuya as Agu (AUGA1)
Takayuki Kondou as Genkoku
Yuka Iguchi as Tei (T91)

Fuyuka Oura as Isukee-sensei (SIG SK46)
Kenta Miyake as Springfield
Ryoka Yuzuki as Thompson-sensei (M1928)
Toru Ohkawa as Garland
Yuu Asakawa as Fujiko-sensei (FG42)

Opening Theme:
"I.N.G." by sweet ARMS
Ending Theme:
#1: "Himekuri" (ひめくり) by Kaori Sadohara

Synopsis:
At Seishou Academy, a newly transferred teacher discovers that girls like Funko always aim to do their best and shoot for their goals, often literally with live ammo. Because these girls aren't just expert shooters, they are the guns, in human form.

My thought:
Kinda surprised no one made a thread for this =o So a school with middle school girl where every girl is representing a gun and some of them (maybe all?) are also representing a country (depending on the weapon ?). This first episode was quite funny with Funko-chan going crazy because the teacher saw her pantsu and begins to shoot like a mad girl xDD I also like Eru-chan even if she had not that much screen time.

Personally, when I read the synopsis of Upotte!! the first thing that came to my mind was the anime "Gunslinger Girl" with all the serious stuff replaced by a more funny and pleasant atmosphere. It is in my top 3 for the moment.

I am not going to say that it is the best first episode this season but it was fun to watch. Funko was nice as a main character and the introduction of the teacher and all the others did do its job. However i am not sure about which way this series is going to go. It acts like a bit of humorous romance but it can also become serious. I hope that this series choses a path to follow and not drown itself in trying to be multiple things at once.

Yes.... Yes I will watch a silly show about anthropomorphic assault weapons. Even though concept is goofy, the story was tepid and the humor was obvious. Why, you ask? Why would you do this, you ask? Well, the answer is simple, my friends. I just can't get enough of those fat-bottomed XEBEC girls.

So episode 2 and it is a sort of gunfight. I am getting unsure about this one. The fight itself was pretty fun to watch. However i still can't see where this series is going. There doesn't seem to any story behind it. At first Funko and the teacher seemed important but now it was just a little sidepart. I fear that this series is just going to be loosely connected episodes with some humor.

The second episode was quite pleasant to watch. The gun fight was entertaining and quite funny with the "secret technique to shot without recoil" in the end xDD Eru is really funny ! She's so clumsy and the way she is as a whole make me always laugh !

QUOTE However i still can't see where this series is going.

That's what I'm afraid with this series... I hope it will not be just a slice-of-life anime since it has some kind of potential to have a good story =/ Maybe we need to wait for 1-2 more episodes...

Just watched the first ep and I dont think I will continue watching it. Sure its a nice idea with the girls beeing weapons and the comedy resulting out of it was nice and welldone but it just bore me. Only really good point are the three hot sisters.

Episode 3 made it clear to me. This series remains like it won't be going in any direction...
sad.gif
. The history lesson about a type of gun was nice but the fanservice in the beginning and the walk to highschool were boring. I'll waiting with watching until the very end and then watch it in one go. Hopefully it does have better episodes to look forward to.

haha i enjoy this show mostly for the high schooler guns like the FAL L1a1 and the G3A3 both of those guns are so damn sexy lol. i really really wish thier was more of them then FNC and her friends. the L85a1 i feel so sorry for her after ep 3 lol poor gir. i cant help but get a good laugh at the line "a feat only made possible by dogged determination and stuburness of the british people"

^ Yeah ! Poor Eru... She's a defective weapon and she can't do something to change this... The way her "story" was told and then seeing all the children crying in the end was very funny xD But it is also sad for Eru...

QUOTE i really really wish thier was more of them then FNC and her friends

Well it was to be expected =/ FNC is the "heroine" of Upotte. It's not like she's a bad character but seeing their elder sisters would be nice too.

Ep 2 was a bit better than the first, mainly because their oneechans and senpai were there. Probably still a drop.

Dropped it after ep 3, mainly because the maingirls are boring and ugly, the comedy is weak and just seeing the highschool girls every sometimes is not enough to keep me going.

4/10 from me.

i decided to give this series still a chance to see if it improved. Unfortunately it doesn't. The whole m16 part isn't very good. If the series just focused on what it had in the first episode it could be so much better. Probably it would still be an average series but still with some fun in it. This series may have literally shot itself in the foot and is now limping to the end.

So another shot at this one. It had something of a story in the first episode when the teacher came so there should be a continuation..and indeed we get the teacher back into the scenes. Sadly enough he is so generic (trying to help the girls and even accepting the school) that he doesn't help to improve the series. The school festival is as expected and even the sudden destruction of the class room felt awkward. Nothing to report on the feelings of Funco about the teacher either. That part was present in the first episode and is even shown a bit in the ending but it lacks in the main part. Now they didn't even try to give more information about weapons....i will keep on watching this series though as it gives a good reference to appreciate the better series of this season
smile.gif

Whoah, finally something to watch. Episode 9 felt in the beginning to be the usual beach and hotspring episode. Not that it was worth anything as the characters aren't special enough to make it exciting (fanservice, jokes and so on). However suddenly we have an actual fight going on. Let's hope the writers can give it a good push in the following episode and not ruin it by saying the one thing i fear: that it is all part of the training which would follow the next day
dry.gif

Episode 10 gave some hope that we would be treated to a nice gun battle..And it actually did for a while. However the fight seemed pretty badly orchestrated with some loose connections between scenes and simple tactics. Still it was watchable.
That was to the so-called climax of the fight came along. It ruined everything it tried to do. Sure it had a meaning to convey but did the writers really have to make it like this. It felt like watching a script which they had lying in a drawer or something some remote because it was so dull.

As it seems this was the last episode so time to look back on it.
For me the remark i made a few post back may the best one: this series just shot itself in the foot after a nice first episode. It felt to have no real story to boot. Even the promising connection between the teacher and Funco vanished from sight.
The characters were weak and had no real development.
To sum up the series may best to say that this animation was made by some random factor to whatever the writers thought would be nice. One time a bit of story, next a fight, then a bit of information on weapons. No coherency whatsover in this series.
For me this series gets something i hate giving: a 3 out of 10..and that is just because it had a nice fight in the last episodes..

Upotte!! is a 10 episode title based off a 4-koma panel manga. It aired during the Winter 2012 anime season, was simulcasted on CrunchyRoll, and is licensed by Sentai Filmworks for US distribution. The original net animation (ONA) is expected to receive a TV broadcast this July. The story follows a school full of girls who's names are not only gun names but are actually gun themselves. Now you may be wondering, how the heck is that possible. Basically, long story short, thing Strike Witches except anything that happens to the guns the girls are/own also happens to them (less the magazine). An OAD is also planned for release later this year.

The school premise really hurts the series as it ends up being a school-life, ecchi, comedy show rather than an interesting war setting. The show is more about gun "history" than anything else at times. However, it does have its fair share of action. Character wise though it's incredibly weak. Characters themselves are not interesting at all despite being guns. The show doesn't fully explain how things work in this world. It's unfortunate since it has a unique concept and solid action, but fails to ever follow through with a majority of what it tries. It ends up being half-hearted 80% of the time.

Art and animation were both decent overall. Designs weren't overly generic but they weren't overly detailed either. For a gun specific show, I had expected some greater focus and quality on the guns the girls were holding. They got the inner components of the guns detailed but the exterior lacked the fine details that the interior had. What's the point if we don't see the interior 90% of the time? Unfortunately, we also don't even get to see detailed magazines or shots like what was shown in Hidan no Aria or even Black Lagoon. And no, I'm not confusing this show with the ongoing Jormungand. Regardless, animation is a strong point of this show with Xebec continuing to show signs of improvement. In this past year alone, they have shown step ups from their previous works (mostly To Love-Ru) with titles like Rinne no Lagrange and Upotte!!

OP/ED themes were both okay at best. I personally prefer the ED theme a little more but neither are really all that good when this season is filled with a lot of good themes. Seiyuu wise, the show is mixed with moderately experienced seiyuus such as Iori Nomizu and Mizusu Togashi as well as less experienced ones such as Misato and Kaori Sadohara. It would have been more appealing to have accents brought out to match the origins of the guns (kind of like Hetalia). Mizusu did a fine job as Sixteen with the attempt at accents but the rest of the cast was rather dull.

Enjoyment? The series does have a few noteworthy episodes worth watching, mostly when the girls duke it out with each other. I will say, however, that are far better in basically every other aspect Upotte!! tries to get good at. If you want girls with guns, Madlax, Black Lagoon, and Gunslinger Girl are more noteworthy titles. If you want a similar premise, Strike Witches definitely does this better.

Overall, despite all the negativity towards this show, it's not an unwatchable show but requires some serious patience to watch. The moeblob aspect really detracts viewers and the addition of ecchi only makes it worse. It's more "interesting" than I gave it credit for but it's not something that one should really get excited over. It's by no means a good show. It will likely be forgotten not too long from now.

Preliminary Score: 4/10
Final Score: 4/10

The last ep was dreadful. A very weak attempt at creating some sort of climax that completely failed. The reasons the Kalashnikovs attacked were ill-defined, and there was no real victory over them at the end. And somehow it made the girl/guns more serious students or something. Bah! They would have been better off doing a pure fan-service climax instead.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back