Time-locking Threads

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Good idea

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

• No

• Total voters
yeah i had a hard time understanding all that as well... do you mean that the members would be more limited to reading than discussing about a topic and posting?

and again, this benefits not only us mods, but for people who can't really stop by much and miss out on the major points. we will be afffected only a little bit too. we just have to use up the post time wisely.

QUOTE (Wittyfox)just let it be, it is on the internet after all and theres nothing like it. the reason why newspapers are so slow coming out cause it takes time and money, but what if u could skip all that every thing was right there hardly anywork at all, all u had to do was find the story and write about it, and as quick as it came u could send it. When I said forums are between articles and spoken communication I did not meant in speed of replies. I meant in style of writing.

Here is an example.
Spoken communication: "Hey man, how are you? I went to this really good restaurant lately. It was really the best and was very affordable. Its called X"

Article style communication: "When looking for a good and affordable restaurant, X is the choice that imposes itself"

A forum is between those. It is not a question of "our rules". It is what the forum concept was designed to do. Information in a forum is organized in threads (flow of ideas) and these consist of posts (evolution to the flow). Forums are also permanenet. This is because the information found in forums is meant to be re-usable in the future by other people.

As for the "what are you doing" thread, it was the source of many discussions. That thread is tolerated for the moment even if it is total spam. It is tolerated because we do not yet have an alternate method for people to discuss more trivial matters. So the what are you doing is trying to do this, even if it is not doing a great job considering the format could be better.

QUOTE (Anime-Addict @ Aug 14 2006, 04:23 AM) I an not sure how the Time Lock would change the look of the forums. Would you mind explaining your statement a little more in-depth for clarification Angerfist-san?
He's saying that because of the time wait...people will start to go to other places/site in there waiting time and this would case a distraction to this site and the people that usually go here would prolly forgot this site...or the posting that that person can do will only be like 5 or six depending on the threads he likes to go and comment on...and this would casue the person to be angry and later might just leave the site...

A complete and definite NO NO from me.

QUOTE (daft27)This is designed to reduce chatter and allow other people to reply.
I agree that this will reduce chatter but when you say that this will allow people to reply, I dont quite understand what you mean by that. Are people not being allowed to reply in the current format of the forum?
There is the option quote to use. People can quote the post they actually want to reply to and I find it quite handy.

For me the only good thing that comes out of this, is that I'll have more time to post on other forums other than FSTV. So I'll make one post in a thread and then go away to some other forums where people are allowed more freedom while posting. Then I'll come back to FSTV and post after the number of minutes or hours that will be set, are up. But the fact is that I dont have the patience to wait for the set amount of time before being allowed to post again.

That will be quite annoying but thats how I see things are going to be. I think this concept will just make the forums dull and quiet if not dead.

So if people have to wait before being allowed to post again, then a discussion that could have interested many people may just make them lose interest in the current discussion. Again I will say that I do not have the patience to wait for the discussion to develop. Something that could have been discussed in one hour, may well dragged on for a few days with the concept of time-locking threads. Time is precious and you make people waste even more time waiting for their turn to post. This isnt fair at all. When I could have got more involved in a discussion I may just give up on the discussion if I have to wait.

Everyone posting in the forums should have fun while doing so. But with the advent of this concept, it will definitely not be fun at all to post on the forums. All I have to say is that I will not enjoy being here anymore.

QUOTE (noob)It's not like you can't post for an entire hour in the forums again, more like you won't be able to post in that thread for whatever time it is.
The fact that I cant post in the thread again is itself annoying. If someone is only interested in that particular thread and doesnt want to post elsewhere what other options would he have? For example I know some people only like to talk about Bleach and they are more active in the Bleach thread. Now if they have to wait before they can post again in the thread in question, how would they feel?

QUOTE (noob)If they really wished to discuss, rather than chat, they'd use the edit feature.
If the discussion has already reached 3 or 4 pages after your post, whats the point in editing your post when everyone will be looking at the most recent posts?And personally I would not go back 2 or 3 pages back to read previous posts again. So even if someone edited his post I will not know.

If you are going to quote my posts, I could do the same about you, here are some of your posts.....

QUOTE (noob)I don't see how Hezbollah is guilty.

QUOTE (noob)rofl... oh wow that's just great

How long were these posts of yours?

I've seen an increase in offtopic chatter lately, so I say a time lock is a good idea. Ten hours seems a bit long to me, but I'm willing to give it a try. It's just something you have to get use to. A lot of forums have a time-lock in that you can't post ANYWHERE on the forum for upwards of a minute, to prevent spam and chatter, and I've never seen anyone have a problem with something like that.

I think 6-7 hours would be better for a time-lock though. Ten is really close to twelve, and that's half the day!

I'm actually wondering about the less popular threads like this click
If you check that thread, then you can see that only Chiisai Hana and me are the ones discussing the live action.... The posts follow eachother pretty quickly, but it wouldn't be fun to reply anymore if there was a time-lock of 1 hour....

I think it's a good idea since I've noticed some "chatting" around here lately. But I was just wondering how the smaller threads will be taken care of....

personally i have my doubts regarding the usefulness of such feature. i kinda' agree with one side, and i kinda' agree with the other.

a total ban of consecutive posting on the same thread, no matter what the time between posts is, only has one negative point IMO: the spam reporting thread, where consecutive posting should be allowed for us mods to always notice new spam threads / posts. other than that, i can't imagine a situation where editing our last post is worse than posting again.

now for a time lock.. i don't know. i might be more against it than in favor of it. if it's definable on a thread-by-thread basis (which means a lot of work for daft IMO) i'll agree with it, if not then i don't think it's a good idea.

and alchemist, before you start saying unnecessary things: i said we mods had similar opinions to daft's, not identical.

I Dont mean to be rude when i interject here, but did anyone read my post? There are alternatives! I had the idea of a minimum charecter count for posts. Simplistic at its best, it can be modified to your standards, such as a minimum charecter count per sentence, minimum sentence count, why one could go all the way to minimum paragraph count, with all of the previous rules applyed as well. This allows users to post frequently, but forces them to insert relevant information SOMEHOW. Admittedly some members will attempt to get around this by pressing random keys on ther keyboard, or writing something to the effect of "Had to put this sentence in there so i could post it, the rules are gay here", but that is blatantly obvious, and can result in administrative action my the moderation staff. I feel that you current member base will me much more accepting of this idea, rather than the time lock one. It seems to be an issue of Gag/silence/muting. It inheriently is very rude and offensive to be "Silenced" Placed in a solitary world. However being forced to have an informative post, can cause members to give up posting (cant come up woth enough text to meet teh requirements) but inherently they arent "gagged".

You see i belive that you are developing a solution to a different problem, one that does not ecsist yet. The Time Lock idea may work in a theorectial sense, but people are involved here. There are such emotions as pride, annoyance, patience, and intrest involved. Being "Gagged" strikes a nerve close to home for me. I used to be much more "overwhelming" on IRC and various forums both. My unacceptable behaivior resulted in me being "Gagged" many a time, each time it was as horrible as sensory deprivation.

On a more logial note, there just simply is not enough traffic on the boards for such an implimentation. Not when i am awake and on the boards anyway. If you look at noob-sama's math he estimated an average of 15 minutes between posts, while in reality the average, during a froums peak time is more like two to three minutes. Given that FTV has an average of 5-8 people who like to post in the general section that equates to alot of time. useless for eliminating short post spam. The ideal solution is a static, or dynamic charecter limit. But, i have already pointed that out, and at the risk of loosing another key off my keyboard, i will retire for now. Please keep the alternatives in mind. Onegai.

I kind of like the idea of restricting the posts based on how many words there are ... that'll cut out the posts that only say "ok" or "what" but still allow for discussion. Perhaps this method, coupled with what I talked about in my post (a 1-2 minute all-forum time lock between posts) might be more agreeable than locking topics for ten hours.

I mean, if there was a ten hour ban on posting in repeat-topics, we couldn't be discussing this now! (Although this might be one forum you were planning to keep unlocked?)

I know that it is unpopular for some reasons >_> but that's not the matter now =_=

QUOTE (myself)I was just wondering how the smaller threads will be taken care of....

ok its getting harder to read this, theres too many cooks in the kitchen if u know what i mean. from what i see alot of people are repeating there selfs or not looking over what has been said already. thinking about this, maybe having a thread lock is ok, considering the way this thread has grew over just a day, but most of the post are just to reply to what some one else said not really looking at what others said before or after. i think every one should wait look over what every one said so far, then if it hasnt been bought up before post it. a good example is you noob how many times do you have to post before you get your point across? also Anime-Addict your ideas are nice, but just cause no one mention them doesnt mean no one saw them, and besides really this thread is about if time locking threads are goods or not u going off into what else u can do instead is in away spam, it gets confussing to read.

also bold i dont fully understand you. i get Forums are permanenet because the information found in forums is meant to be re-usable in the future by other people.
but alot of things u find in forums like these are not that usefull in the long run. i mean if it was like a computer help forum everything in there needs to be informative, but this is a like anime forum so alot of topics like "whats your fav color" (which was started by me) or "Dissapeared people" "Anime Role Models" arent like real info. i must admit threads like "Video Game & Movie Music Thread" "Can a democracy make the wrong choice" or "What To Do In Japan." are pretty usefull for a passerby, but they are all mixed together in here. so what ru or anybody else going to do stop any kind of "non informative" thread from starting unless its usefull or reusable. so what i am trying to say is the "what are you doing" thread isnt the only one thats really spam going by what a forum is meant for.

I am definitely against this. You can kill me, you can do whatever - I am against.
I see it as restriction of my freedom. I won't just accept this - I will move on to another anime community. This forum is the only thing that attracts me to FTV. It is a nice community that's why I am here. I don't use direct downloads, because it is faster for me to use torrent.
Only 190 (somewhere around) members (out of 18107) post on regular basis (50 and more posts). If you make those time-locking threads... Let's say 90 will leave the forums. I will leave too (not the big loss, heh?
sad.gif
). So there will be like... 100 back?

QUOTE It's not like you can't post for an entire hour in the forums again, more like you won't be able to post in that thread for whatever time it is. And actually, if we do that, people will use their brain more and more and chat less and less. What is so good about typing, "Bankai is so cooler than Shikai." in bleach thread, as a reply?

Most people come here in their free time - after work, school. They used their brains at work/school. Now they want to relax and have nice conversation with other members here. Most of people don't have THAT much free time on their hands to wait an hour or two. Take me as an example. I maybe post one or two post while in school. Then, I am home at 18.00; I have to eat (no forums while eating), then I have to do homework (around two more hours, very depending). So I have only two hours left before I go to sleep? And if there's a debate I want to take join, I will only be able to post two posts... I don't like that.

They're all some simple questions, which anyone should already know the answers. I mean, one source is indeed google, or maybe here. I'd tolerate it for few times a week, but seeing posts similar to one another, few times a day is kind of annoying.

If you are annoyed as a mod then I think we have to find a replacement for you. In my eyes - a moderator is a nice person who are willing to help new members and who keeps the forums clean. Not the one who deletes the short post with evil laughter. If you are too tired of moderation, why not stop? I am sure there are other members out there who can do this job better.

P.S. I like AA's idea much more than this one with time-locking threads.

QUOTE (noob @ Aug 14 2006, 12:25 PM) @ Chiisai, you're right, but it's not like we're going to do it to every single section of the forums.
I think something which might be useful to this discussion, then, is if we know what sections daft intends to put the time lock on?

Another issue which may or may not be considered a bad thing here, I don't know, but if people can't post in the hot-topics more than once every x number of hours, they may start posting in the older threads. This could lead to another problem, and not actually help cut spam/pointless posts.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Aug 14 2006, 06:44 PM) Another issue which may or may not be considered a bad thing here, I don't know, but if people can't post in the hot-topics more than once every x number of hours, they may start posting in the older threads. This could lead to another problem, and not actually help cut spam/pointless posts.
They can post in old threads, they create new threads about the same topic, they will go to another forum, they will do everything to annoy mods. Either thing is bad.
Just because you will time-lock thread in X hours won't make people write long post and use their brains.

I completely agree with all the things that demogog said. In fact I could not say it any better. If you take a look at the poll, you'll see that there are 9 people who voted No and 6 who voted Yes. And I bet more people are going to vote for No. So if there are people who dont want to discuss, just cast your vote.

In my eyes, all the mods seem to agree with the time-locking threads idea since it will suit their needs. Am more than certain that among the 6 who voted for yes, there are more mods than regular members. I think this matter is already decided since all the mods are currently supporting the idea and what us mere members of this forum can do about it?
I think leaving the forum would be the best thing to do if this concept is implemented. Plain and simple.

QUOTE In my eyes, all the mods seem to agree with the time-locking threads idea since it will suit their needs. Am more than certain that among the 6 who voted for yes, there are more mods than regular members. I think this matter is already decided since all the mods are currently supporting the idea and what us mere members of this forum can do about it?
damn, i really don't understand you people.. all of a sudden you guys turn against the mods. what did we do for you to not trust us? how much have we limited your rights on these forums? how often were you guys banned? how often do we take action without justifying ourselves, either right when we do it or after we're asked (via PM, for example)?

fact number 1: this thread is on a general section of the website for something. if this decision was to be made only by the mods, we'd post it on a mod-only section of the website.
fact number 2: the whole community was asked for their opinion before this feature was activated (and, as far as i know, before it was even implemented).
fact number 3: this is a decision to suit our needs? what needs? we don't want a forum where only we enjoy spending time, we don't want you guys to leave. our needs are to make it "moderated" enough that it isn't chaotic, and natural enough for it to be enjoyable. but because you guys care more about the "enjoyable" part, we have to care more about the "moderated" part.

for christ's sake.. you guys managed to make me feel like i'm not welcome here.

Before threatening to jump ship, let's not discount the people who have already left or refuse to participate because of the chatter in the boards. Yes, there are plenty of options around in terms of forums and everybody knows this. People who expect quality posts over quantity of posts are pressed to leave for better places when the posts that they have put serious time into writing do not get replied to in a similar fashionx. In fact, I have actually received complaints that the forums move TOO fast. (edit: consider this thread. ~ 50 posts in less than 24 hours)

No, time locking will not force people to use their brains but would give those who post the more thoughtful posts more control of the thread than someone who posts often but in short amounts. (An aside: To maintain historical quality, I sometimes go through threads and delete old non-essential posts or segments. This normally goes unnoticed since the people who are actively following the thread only watch the most recent one or two pages.)

One thing I probably should mention is that time-locking may not affect all users the same way. For example, if someone has historically written longer posts in that thread, their time lock duration may be shorter than someone who writes shorter posts in that thread. Who knows, this might even be compared to the average length of recent posts in that thread. This will allow people who actually have a lot to say (not just a lot of little things to say) to continue to contribute without being impeded. On the basis that lengthier posts take longer to write, it evens the playing ground for those who take the effort to write more. There is a lot more room for systematic adaptability than implied.

Even if all the moderators agree with the idea (which they don't), it does not mean that this possible idea will be put in implemented. The point is to air the issue so that both the pros and cons of the idea can be compared objectively. Logically, if I didn't need feedback then the issue wouldn't have been discussed. The point is to move forward with change and discussions/debates like sides arguing various pros and cons are ideal to that. Rocking the boat once in a while isn't bad as long as nobody gets (seriously) hurt.
smile.gif

Anyways, this thread has been quite informative and is only reinforcing the alternative idea I have. Unfortunately, I don't want to mention it since the idea is damn good but would take some effort to implement and I wouldn't want to raise anybody's hopes.

I'm actually half and half to the time lock.
I've checked out various locations that implimented the "thingy" as I'm going to call it and they have it at a 45 second to two minute limit deal to prevent spaming, double-posting and so on. It was set at that particular limit to keep that from happening while at the same time, it allowed the bored and relaxing users to post as they would.
I think the idea was brought up to keep the forum safe from undesirables and idiots, not limit postings, right?

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back