The Woes of File-Sharing

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anime-Addict

-dono
Sempai
Several months ago, more like a year I assembled my first venture into file-serving out in Afghanistan, because everyone wanted network access to their external HDD,s which varied in content and connection method. Well I got tired of my machine being a surrogate to all these externals, some of which were questionable in content, and even more tired of beating into peoples heads how to properly share a drive, and that in order to do that they could not disconnect it, power it off, or any of the myriad of things your average user manages to do to throw a monkey wrench into your carefully laid plans.

I then decided to assemble a file server, a separate machine that I could RemoteAccess to, that could be destroyed by a virus, or some such, but not affect any of the other machines on the network. I had almost no money and limited resources, so the machine wound up being constructed out of sheet metal, 300USD worth of parts, an AMD Sempron, and a MATX board, several PCI->SATA adapters, and lots of dust filters. The operating system? Windows XP Pro, since I had a "copy" on hand. The remote access let me avoid having another UI to deal with, saving more money! Horray! I had a tight budget, 2 way satellite internet out of the UK is NOT cheap. Well, soon after, I discovered that windows XP's "Simple" file sharing was not going to cut it, so I started researching alternatives. I came across XP's "non-simple filesharing" In which permissions were set for individual users. Finally! All drives have full access to me, and distributed read-only or ect. Worked great until about 2 months ago when XP went belly up. Never one to be worried, as I kept the OS drive strictly an OS, I reformatted it, and re-installed XP. I am sure you can see the problem from here, The files are all read-only now. I get an access denied when i try to write to the drives. Not a big deal, as I could just transfer the data to somewhere else, format the damn thing, and put it back, except that I do not have that storage capacity. I have 3 400GB and 2 80GB drives that are "locked" and only a 120GB for transfer....

So, how does one solve this problem?

I had a problem somewhat like this a year or two ago as well. I had a computer almost exactly the same as the one you described, only mine was a celeron lol.

QUOTE I get an access denied when i try to write to the drives.

If its possible, you may need to hook the HDD's themselves to a personal computer or some dummy-com.

Anyway - Disk Recovery programs, ones that recover lost data from HDD's after they go "Splat" are designed to recover all the data. Depending on the amount of free space you have - yes this is a tedious task - you can transfer the information using that program (make a copy) designate the copies as "NON-read only" and delete the original - then transfer it back in sections.

And i suggest you do a virus scan, due to the suggested nature of the content lol.

Thinking of other methods - if you have a Linux CD, its BOOT disc is fairly exceptional at making partitions. Partition as much free disk space, move the files over to the free partition, make a new partition of the newly cleared space, merge the new two parts, move new info over, and repeat.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem somehow... Meh, these "Solutions" are somewhat tedious anyhow - i'll start looking for different methods and ask a friend who just got his A+ Cert. to see if he has any ideas.

Well In the end it was as simpe as "Taking Owership" of the affected files. You do that by right clicking, sharing and security, click teh advanced button and making your admin account the owner. Then I was free to set all the permissions again however I wanted, and delete the old SUID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back