The "N" Word

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.
QUOTE (Dalriada @ Jun 26 2009, 02:48 PM)
Is nigger a slur, if it's not used as a slur ?
I'm not american, so I won't go into the word's history.
I could launch far more vicious attacks against black people by using a perfectly politically correct language than by using some slurs. It's pretty easy : just be very polite, but used all the negative stereotypes associated with black people by the racist movements (lazy, drug dealers, rapist, uncultured).
You will touch far more people doing that. That's why I'm far more worried against that than against a bunch of subbers using 'nigger'.
Nigger is a racial slur period. I would have to say that maybe since you're not American (I'm assuming you've never lived in America) it would be possible that you can't fully comprehend its meaning as a racial slur. The negative connotation of "nigger" originated from American slave owners calling their slaves that in a derogatory manner (very basic explanation). I can guarantee you that it's not the same as the french term "nègres." In nooooooooo way would a black american be proud to be called that. So trying to translate the American term "nigger" into french would lose all its meaning. (You simply can't translate its usage in American history to French). It's not a french term.

Plus you say you could,

"Launch far more vicious attacks against black people by using a perfectly politically correct language... It's pretty easy : just be very polite, but used all the negative stereotypes associated with black people by the racist movements (lazy, drug dealers, rapist, uncultured).

So you think that by making general statements like lazy, drug dealers, rapist, and uncultured it would be more insulting? I'm sorry buuuut that is very faulty logic. The term nigger is specifically used soley (historically) in a negative manner against blacks. So it has a far greater impact than any of the examples you just made. I could careless if you called me lazy or uncultured in a polite or impolite way. That would be more effective if I had an anger management problem but not because of race. That particular racial slur carries far greater weight than you just tried to portray.

So I've heard a lot of people saying that the word should just be plain old taboo because of how it's been used. Why? Making a word taboo draws some people to its use and preserves the meaning behind it. Take the word fuck as an example. My parents' generation finds it rude beyond belief. My generation? Many people use it like water. I saw them start using it in grade school just because they could get away with it. If you take away the sense that someone is getting away with something it generally drops out of vogue.

Take the various scatalogical words: poop, crap, and shit. Poop is widely accepted as the most polite of the three, and shit the least. Next take the various imperative expletives: darn, damn, and fuck, again listed in most acceptable order. But which combination is most frequently used? Darn this poop? No. Damn this crap? No. Fuck this shit? We have a winner.

I've been in circles where these words have little or no meaning, because everyone there knows that the meaning just isn't in them. I've been in circles where the words have meaning because the people there expect a certain intention when they hear them; they've made them taboo.

Remove the taboo and they lose most of their meaning. Use them frequently in ways that they were not originally intended and they lose most of their meaning.

So what do you have to say to that, my niggas?

QUOTE (computeraddict @ Jun 26 2009, 04:56 PM) So I've heard a lot of people saying that the word should just be plain old taboo because of how it's been used. Why? Making a word taboo draws some people to its use and preserves the meaning behind it. Take the word fuck as an example. My parents' generation finds it rude beyond belief. My generation? Many people use it like water. I saw them start using it in grade school just because they could get away with it. If you take away the sense that someone is getting away with something it generally drops out of vogue.

Take the various scatalogical words: poop, crap, and shit. Poop is widely accepted as the most polite of the three, and shit the least. Next take the various imperative expletives: darn, damn, and fuck, again listed in most acceptable order. But which combination is most frequently used? Darn this poop? No. Damn this crap? No. Fuck this shit? We have a winner.

I've been in circles where these words have little or no meaning, because everyone there knows that the meaning just isn't in them. I've been in circles where the words have meaning because the people there expect a certain intention when they hear them; they've made them taboo.

Remove the taboo and they lose most of their meaning. Use them frequently in ways that they were not originally intended and they lose most of their meaning.

The big difference with that is the meaning and the usage. Fuck just means sex or is used as an frustrating expletive. Shit is essentially the same type of thing. Both of those can be used in derogatory manners, "Fuck you", "you little shit" and so on and so on, but they don't come close to nigger as they don't have the same history of use. Instead of explaining why I'll just quote senpai cause that's the exact reason for why it's different.

QUOTE Nigger is a racial slur period. The negative connotation of "nigger" originated from American slave owners calling their slaves that in a derogatory manner (very basic explanation).
Now do I think it should be used? No, as I said not long ago. But do I want to make the word taboo so no one would be allowed to say it? No, because that goes against freedom of speech which trumps just about everything.

QUOTE (computeraddict @ Jun 26 2009, 03:56 PM) Remove the taboo and they lose most of their meaning. Use them frequently in ways that they were not originally intended and they lose most of their meaning.

Okies so I'm assuming your black? So if a person that's not black (since you're okay I guess w/other black ppl calling you a nigger
huh.gif
) just rolls up to you and is like yo "what's up nigger" or even the slang "nigga," you are just gonna be cool with that huh?

What if they roll by everyday at your spot, knock on your door, and call you that everyday? So then it will lose its meaning in time??????? That's some interesting logic. But regardless of that, I think the main issue is do you care if the subbers you choose to watch are filling their homepage w/racial slurs? I do wonder what the reaction would be like if it wasn't "nigger" used and some racial slurs against other races. Would ppl of that particular race have a different perspective then? If removing the taboo by just repeating it were soooo easy than why hasn't it happened yet? It's been a long time since slavery was legal but still nowadays a person could catch a serious beatdown & maybe even shot for using it in the wrong situation. If you doubt that than go to certain parts of America and give it a try.

But I'm not arguing against freedom of speech because ppl do have that right it's just for me personally I rather support those who don't feel the need to use racial slurs. Could be in the minority buuuuut that's just me. Looks like I'll have to delete my Toradora files errr wait I did that because the ending sucked and I don't plan to watch it again lmao.

I get the point that was made agast one of mine.

And I understand it. But no one can answer, Why? Why is it okay? There is as much difference between me and a person with blond hair and blue eyes then me and a person with black skin.

And back to my other point, You're all being Mafie wifes, enablers. It's okay for black people to say it beacuse they're black. No, it's not okay. it IS offence to some balck people, No matter what the color of the skin is of the person who is saying it.

The way that Coalguy actualy uses the word is offencive to the person he's talking to.

So... I've been reading up on the thread a couple of times in order to get a grasp on what's being discussed here. It's time that I chimed in as well on the topic because we really have to come to a conclusion on this subject matter.

Telling someone's race on here will only complicate things so I won't go that far... but I will say that at my day job (Day Camp Counselor), my campers throw this term around a lot. I discourage and actually cause problems for my campers every single time that they say it. No matter who's saying it or what color they are because the term is pretty offensive imho.

It's a painful word that carries a lot of stress and ugly intentions. Now... to the main focus of this argument.

Do we shun CoalGuys for their usage of this term? No... because they aren't plastering this terminology in their subs or making podcasts where they will completely rip into each other for all to observe or hear (unless they do... then disregard my words). What if we found out that there are other fansub groups who are robbing banks or hacking files to gain bank account information? I think that we shouldn't try to control the lives of the fansubbers who take more than their share of time putting out decent to great quality subs for everyone to watch and enjoy anime with.

I wanna believe in the notion that everyone can live their lives devoid of judgment of others. We can't tell them what to do and what not to do... All we can say is that we need to just simply accept it and move on unless they are directing this at someone or something in particular and not between themselves. Slang will be slang... but as long as I'm offended by certain words within my vicinity, I'll do everything in my power to stop me from hearing those words haphazardly.

It's a free world... but you can keep headphones on and ignore a lot if you so choose.
happy.gif
;

Reopened the thread as it has had nothing but good discussion concerning this topic. Also gonna rename the thread to actually reflect what the thread is about which is primarily the word "nigger".

Doofus or any other mod can contact me about this and we can talk about it if there is a problem, but I find this thread to be a rather well rounded discussion despite how it was initiated.

doof: i don't mind

Geh...shoulda stayed dead
sleep.gif

Just out of interest, how many of you are actually black - the people who would supposedly be insulted by the comments? I'm wondering if everyone here are white guys (and/or girls) who are stating comments/opinions based solely on what they think they know and are 'representing the black peoples' in a way they believe they should be represented...or if any of you are ACTUALLY black and personally offended by it?
I've recently talked with several of my friends (who happen to be black) and pointed out the site and they all thought it was mildly entertaining and nothing else. They further thought the discussion held here and opinions voiced by the seeming majority were rather ignorant and stupid - mostly because they recognize the word was only used to incite a reaction.
That aside, as far as they're concerned, the word 'nigger' isn't really a bad word anymore except in rare circumstances. This especially applies to when blacks say it to each other. Further, they said that if some random white guy came up to them and in a friendly tone said something including 'nigger' they wouldn't actually take it offensively (though they may pretend to just as a good laugh at the reaction...yeah, they can be a bit of an ass sometimes).
That said, there are some people who truly are still racists (sad though this may be) and use it intentionally to be derogatory...when this is the case, it's rather obvious though.

As far as I'm concerned, they're obviously just trying to seek a reaction to get people to do EXACTLY what everyone is doing here. As doofus said, they are troll subbers, and you all got trolled. ~_~
You can go ahead and stop watching their subs, or whatever else you want - it certainly wont stop them from continuing to make such comments on their page, and wont stop them from subbing, and wont stop the good majority of people from watching their subs.

All of that said, I'm going to continue to watch CoalGuys so long as their sub quality stays decent. What they do with their personal lives is none of my concern and there isn't really anything I can do even if it were.
I'm also going to try my best to ignore this thread - I've already gotten irritated enough reading some of the comments here -.-

QUOTE (Dalriada @ Jun 26 2009, 01:48 PM)
I could launch far more vicious attacks against black people by using a perfectly politically correct language than by using some slurs. It's pretty easy : just be very polite, but used all the negative stereotypes associated with black people by the racist movements (lazy, drug dealers, rapist, uncultured).
You will touch far more people doing that. That's why I'm far more worried against that than against a bunch of subbers using 'nigger'.
There is a truth to what you say. You can be use seemingly non-racist speech to convey racist ideas/views/attacks while never using any racist words. There is overt racism and covert racism (the covert is not covert at all to its recipients). There is also unconscious/unintended racism. The overt, covert, unconscious, and unintended are all very real. They are all different forms in which racism can thrive and operate everyday. All forms are damaging from the institutional to the interpersonal or even intrapersonal.

There are examples of all these through history and present everyday life. I'd say we should all think of personal examples and historical ones.

Just a note: Even though I started this thread, I am not claiming to be some kind of expert on racism or some kind of perfect person never guilty of racism. I am white and not even a recipient of racism on any level but as a white person I am trying to own up to the fact that its my problem too and that I am part of the problem since racism gives me unearned privileges in society (for an example within the context of this discussion, the privilege of not feeling the deep damaging effects of having fansubbers make videos of me calling me a nigger as the CoalGuys have done to a black guy on youtube(weather or not all or some of the CoalGuys themselves are black)...or the privilege of witnessing such activity and just not caring...because for black anime fans, I think the feelings would be much different).
I have a lot of homework so I am not on here most of the day but I wanted to get the ball rolling and I hope more and more people (of all different races and cultures) join this discussion and I'd encourage anyone who is a member of other forums to start up a similar discussion on those sites.

If any flaming or trolling should begin, I'd like to politely ask the mods to please ban the users themselves and not lock the whole thread
biggrin.gif
But I'm pretty sure we can all keep it peaceful.

Anime fans come in all shapes and sizes. We are a multiracial international community. How about we act like one
wink.gif

PS: Thank you Barbobot for understanding the importance of this discussion!

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Jun 26 2009, 11:30 PM)Geh...shoulda stayed dead
sleep.gif

Just out of interest, how many of you are actually black - the people who would supposedly be insulted by the comments?  I'm wondering if everyone here are white guys (and/or girls) who are stating comments/opinions based solely on what they think they know and are 'representing the black peoples' in a way they believe they should be represented...or if any of you are ACTUALLY black and personally offended by it?
I've recently talked with several of my friends (who happen to be black) and pointed out the site and they all thought it was mildly entertaining and nothing else.  They further thought the discussion held here and opinions voiced by the seeming majority were rather ignorant and stupid - mostly because they recognize the word was only used to incite a reaction. 
That aside, as far as they're concerned, the word 'nigger' isn't really a bad word anymore except in rare circumstances.  This especially applies to when blacks say it to each other.  Further, they said that if some random white guy came up to them and in a friendly tone said something including 'nigger' they wouldn't actually take it offensively (though they may pretend to just as a good laugh at the reaction...yeah, they can be a bit of an ass sometimes). 
That said, there are some people who truly are still racists (sad though this may be) and use it intentionally to be derogatory...when this is the case, it's rather obvious though.

As far as I'm concerned, they're obviously just trying to seek a reaction to get people to do EXACTLY what everyone is doing here.  As doofus said, they are troll subbers, and you all got trolled. ~_~
You can go ahead and stop watching their subs, or whatever else you want - it certainly wont stop them from continuing to make such comments on their page, and wont stop them from subbing, and wont stop the good majority of people from watching their subs.

All of that said, I'm going to continue to watch CoalGuys so long as their sub quality stays decent.  What they do with their personal lives is none of my concern and there isn't really anything I can do even if it were.
I'm also going to try my best to ignore this thread - I've already gotten irritated enough reading some of the comments here -.-

You have a good point, there should be black people in this discussion. I really really hope that happens. That fact that there probably aren't is pretty retarded and in the end is not going to make a whole lot of sense. Not I or anybody else who isn't black can speak for black people. But as I said as a white person I really want to own up to my part in this. Racism is our (white peoples) problem too but we do need the voices and guidance of those who are the recipients of it, no doubt. We really can't get anywhere without that. But I mean really I don't think it takes a genius to know basic right from wrong and that was my main point. I still stand by the fact that using that word is wrong and we shouldn't support such people.

And as far as your black friends go, most black people don't see it as a simple joke (especially if a white stranger walked up and said it...I mean c'mon now!). I really don't think so. I have had black friends that let there non-black (mostly white) friends get away with saying it to them as a joke or greeting but I have asked them what their real feelings are behind it and they are actually deeply hurt by it. I mean that word has literally made them cry. They actually take a lot of s*** like that from their own friends and continue to be nice in return........since when this discussion comes up people often aren't too sympathetic to them and try to make excuses for using the word. I have witnessed this.

ok let me put my own personal 2 cents in on this topic. as a growing Black (or in better terms African American) man i have grown use to the "N" word.
the only thing that gets me rialed up about it is when people from other races start to use the "N"word in its old ways of saying it to offend people not only black but other races as well. if people are going to say the "N" word i would like for them to keep this in mind

Nigga: term of friendly enderment/slang to say "my brother" etc

Nigger: a term which offends (usally offend Blacks(African Americans). if a black person hears it u might get ur ass beat

thats pretty much where i stand, I love all races. peace and love is all we need.

QUOTE (solshido @ Jun 27 2009, 02:09 AM)

Nigger: a term which offends (usally offend Blacks(African Americans)
I understand what you are saying here, but these terms a very similar within sound. If one writes or types such words, then any offense is obvious. But if the word is used vocally, each one can be easily confused with the other. I just refrain from using the word all together unless I actually do wish to insult someone.

I honestly don't have a problem with African Americans' becoming upset if the word is used. When I do have a problem is when they say that only African Americans are allowed to use the word, be it in the friendly term or offensive. That is what upsets me more than anything.
dry.gif

So you think that by making general statements like lazy, drug dealers, rapist, and uncultured it would be more insulting? I'm sorry buuuut that is very faulty logic. The term nigger is specifically used soley (historically) in a negative manner against blacks. So it has a far greater impact than any of the examples you just made. I could careless if you called me lazy or uncultured in a polite or impolite way. That would be more effective if I had an anger management problem but not because of race. That particular racial slur carries far greater weight than you just tried to portray.

Allow me to disagree.
Racist slurs are bad, okay. But people are not racist because they are spouting such slurs, they says those slurs because they are racist.
What make them racist is the belief they are somehow superior, better than foreigners. And what makes them feel that way is the numerous stereotypes one can have about foreigners (I could expand on how the antisemits of today are calling themselves antizionists, but use exactly the same arguments than during the 30's. A perfectly politically correct term, but with a racist reasoning behind).

Now, I wouldn't call someone a nigger, because coming from a white man and without any other reason, it would indeed be racist. But it's more complicated than the simple equation nigger=racist slur.

QUOTE (Nightdragon @ Jun 27 2009, 01:25 AM) I just refrain from using the word all together unless I actually do wish to insult someone.

I honestly don't have a problem with African Americans' becoming upset if the word is used. When I do have a problem is when they say that only African Americans are allowed to use the word, be it in the friendly term or offensive. That is what upsets me more than anything. 
dry.gif

I don't think any non-black person has the right to use the word, even if they are angry or have been wronged by a black person in some way. I think its actually very low to use racism as a come back to insult somebody even if they really do deserve some harsh words for something they did. Again the word has a whole weight behind it. A whole bloody history. To me its universally wrong. I don't think even in cases when somebody actually wronged you its ok.

Take for example one of the numerous times one of my white family or friends got mad at a non-white person weather they were black, Latino, Mexican, Asian ect. They would always say something like "damn black guy cut me off in traffic" (or worse it would be the n-word instead of black) or "this stupid asian lady did such and such" yeah you get the point.....they would emphasis that persons race or ethnicity as if that was part of what angered them. And really that makes no sense. The thing that person DID is what angered them but without realizing it they stooped so low as to call that person a racial slur or state their race or ethnicity as if it really even mattered. So it makes me wondered was it that persons race that made them angry in the first place? or were they just angry but it made them angrier? and most of all....what was the point of it all???? Where is this anger coming from? Why is it there? There is no need for it. If somebody was an A-hole to you or was rude to you then fine call it like it is. They were an A-hole or rude or whatever. They are not Black/Asian/Mexican/ect assholes or niggers or chinks or any of those. They are humans like us and we have undoubtedly done the same kind of dumb stuff to somebody else and pissed them off....So why stoop so low? Why dig into something as sick as racism to tell how somebody wronged you? There is absolutely never a need for that. And EVEN if a non-white person were to call me cracker or white boy or any of those things, I don't care how nasty what they say is. The fact is those words while inappropriate, immature and offensive still don't have the same bloody history behind them that words like nigger do. That is why I absolutely refuse to use racial slurs no matter what.

So yeah...just wanted to also add that I found another forum where people were trying to figure out ways to get the guy's (the black dude CoalGuys made the racist video of) address and phone number saying people should pull pranks on him (another great example of people not caring about how their actions effect others). So for those that think this is a joke, think again. This kind of crap can present a PHYSICAL danger to a person. For those that aren't aware the internet can be used to dig up disturbing and dangerous amounts of personal info on a person. That is no joke.

QUOTE (solshido @ Jun 27 2009, 01:09 AM)

Nigger: a term which offends (usally offend Blacks(African Americans). if a black person hears it u might get ur ass beat

I understand what your saying but either one would likely get a person in trouble. Both are rooted in racism (meaning before nigGA there was the GER) and mostly likely will be taken as such. I definitely wouldn't use either. And again there really is no need. I'll call all my friends by their names.

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Jun 27 2009, 12:30 AM)Geh...shoulda stayed dead
sleep.gif

Just out of interest, how many of you are actually black - the people who would supposedly be insulted by the comments?  I'm wondering if everyone here are white guys (and/or girls) who are stating comments/opinions based solely on what they think they know and are 'representing the black peoples' in a way they believe they should be represented...or if any of you are ACTUALLY black and personally offended by it?
I've recently talked with several of my friends (who happen to be black) and pointed out the site and they all thought it was mildly entertaining and nothing else.  They further thought the discussion held here and opinions voiced by the seeming majority were rather ignorant and stupid - mostly because they recognize the word was only used to incite a reaction. 
That aside, as far as they're concerned, the word 'nigger' isn't really a bad word anymore except in rare circumstances.  This especially applies to when blacks say it to each other.  Further, they said that if some random white guy came up to them and in a friendly tone said something including 'nigger' they wouldn't actually take it offensively (though they may pretend to just as a good laugh at the reaction...yeah, they can be a bit of an ass sometimes). 

As far as I'm concerned, they're obviously just trying to seek a reaction to get people to do EXACTLY what everyone is doing here.  As doofus said, they are troll subbers, and you all got trolled. ~_~

All of that said, I'm going to continue to watch CoalGuys so long as their sub quality stays decent.  What they do with their personal lives is none of my concern and there isn't really anything I can do even if it were.
I speak from the black person's perspective but to say "the ppl who would supposedly be insulted by the comments..." I scratch my head because you would assume there would be some level of common sense to understand why one would be offended. Does it really take a black person to explain these simple reasonings? I applaud those other ppl of different races who actually speak out against it as it shows they're not just concerned if it doesn't directly effect their race/heritage being insulted.

You say you went and had several of your friends (do you and you're friends live in America
huh.gif
) who happen to be black and they found it mildly entertaining??????? I'll say if this is even true (I'm not calling you a lier but I find it very questionable) that they're in the minority. You say that you are irritated by the posts here? Once again from a black person's perspective out of all the posts in this thread I find yours the most irritating. I'll explain, because some ppl who aren't aware of the American culture and the history of that word (from other countries) will read your post and think it's cool, no biggie, to use that word. If I go up to a black person but use it in a 'friendly manner' (I'm assuming you're meaning tone of voice?) it's all good. Why not high five afterwards. I would like to adamantly stress that is a bad to very bad idea ladies and gentlemen. 95% of the time that will result in a messy verbal to possible physical altercation. The reason being is that is the worst (or one of) possible word you can call an African American. Even if slavery was long ago the stories are past down (taught in schools) to future generations of how blacks were enslaved and beaten by their masters. Forced to work in fields and treated literally like animals. And the most vicious hate filled name that they were called during that time was 'nigger.' It was used as a deragatory word of power over African Americans. To say that a word like that would not be taken offensively (dchaos friend's as an example) is ignorance to the hardships of a race of ppl and history itself.

I would also like to make this point I'm not saying that blacks or non-blacks should just immediately stop watching CoalGuys subs. Their is freedom of speech and ppl have the right to say what they want. The point made by Dchaos and Doofie that they're trying to incite a reaction so why should it matter, oh you've been trolled... is kinda besides the point. The problem is not whether or not they are actually racists (I could careless) but the excessive usage and the negative connotation it's being used in. It's not like they're are using it in explaining historical perspective ladies and gents.

Other comments they make on that site:
- P.S2 I need to go slavedrive the editor. Hopefully WS starts moving again soon.
- Kool, some nigger jumped in on episode 11 and made me lose some sleep. Jesus ***** christ, kids these days.
- Right now at this moment I’m being a nigger sitting in starbucks and stealing their internet.

Sorry Dchaos buuuuut this is offensive to the majority of black ppl. Thinking that it isn't is your prerogative but speaking out against something you find racially insensitive is never a bad thing. You can at the very least possibly enlighten somebody else who doesn't understand why this would be considered offensive. If just one person out of 50 who reads this thread comes away realizing that than that's a positive in my book.

With great interest, I have read everyone's posts and while I do not agree with those who "don't think it is bad" that African-Americans use this word, to address each other, I just don't like the fact that within the Black community, especially, of course, in the "Gangsta" community, it is quite the norm. I find it both insulting and also, hypocritical of certain folks, within the Black community, to get offended if another person, of another skin color, uses that term when they themselves, not all mind you, address each other that way. It is demeaning and ugly, and I think, imho, it enables folks to keep regurgitating that ugly slur, over and over again. I come from a Hispanic background and have been called many names because of the color of my skin...ugly names, but I can tell you that among my friends and family, we have never used a racial slur to "greet one another." I hate the "N" word...always have, always will.
Now, you all can do as you wish, when it comes to fansub groups; I have never used them and probably never will, because in good conscience, I will not support folks who use ugly, racial toned words whether for fun or not. And if they did so to troll folks, who cares? At least, we can say what we think in regards to words used to demean others.

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Jun 27 2009, 10:08 AM) I speak from the black person's perspective but to say "the ppl who would supposedly be insulted by the comments..." I scratch my head because you would assume there would be some level of common sense to understand why one would be offended. Does it really take a black person to explain these simple reasonings? I applaud those other ppl of different races who actually speak out against it as it shows they're not just concerned if it doesn't directly effect their race/heritage being insulted.

You say you went and had several of your friends (do you and you're friends live in America
huh.gif
) who happen to be black and they found it mildly entertaining??????? I'll say if this is even true (I'm not calling you a lier but I find it very questionable) that they're in the minority. You say that you are irritated by the posts here? Once again from a black person's perspective out of all the posts in this thread I find yours the most irritating. I'll explain, because some ppl who aren't aware of the American culture and the history of that word (from other countries) will read your post and think it's cool, no biggie, to use that word. If I go up to a black person but use it in a 'friendly manner' (I'm assuming you're meaning tone of voice?) it's all good. Why not high five afterwards. I would like to adamantly stress that is a bad to very bad idea ladies and gentlemen. 95% of the time that will result in a messy verbal to possible physical altercation. The reason being is that is the worst (or one of) possible word you can call an African American. Even if slavery was long ago the stories are past down (taught in schools) to future generations of how blacks were enslaved and beaten by their masters. Forced to work in fields and treated literally like animals. And the most vicious hate filled name that they were called during that time was 'nigger.' It was used as a deragatory word of power over African Americans. To say that a word like that would not be taken offensively (dchaos friend's as an example) is ignorance to the hardships of a race of ppl and history itself.

I would also like to make this point I'm not saying that blacks or non-blacks should just immediately stop watching CoalGuys subs. Their is freedom of speech and ppl have the right to say what they want. The point made by Dchaos and Doofie that they're trying to incite a reaction so why should it matter, oh you've been trolled... is kinda besides the point. The problem is not whether or not they are actually racists (I could careless) but the excessive usage and the negative connotation it's being used in. It's not like they're are using it in explaining historical perspective ladies and gents.

Other comments they make on that site:
- P.S2 I need to go slavedrive the editor. Hopefully WS starts moving again soon.
- Kool, some nigger jumped in on episode 11 and made me lose some sleep. Jesus ***** christ, kids these days.
- Right now at this moment I’m being a nigger sitting in starbucks and stealing their internet.

Sorry Dchaos buuuuut this is offensive to the majority of black ppl. Thinking that it isn't is your prerogative but speaking out against something you find racially insensitive is never a bad thing. You can at the very least possibly enlighten somebody else who doesn't understand why this would be considered offensive. If just one person out of 50 who reads this thread comes away realizing that than that's a positive in my book.
1) Yes, I live in the States - Georgia to be precise.
2) I appreciate the fact that you don't trust me...

3) I do not mean to say that everyone should go around calling each other nigger just for the hell of it. It isn't appropriate. That said, it also isn't the insult that everyone makes it out to be anymore. It is by definition "black". It was - for a time generations past - used in an insulting and derogatory manner. It is still used by a minority of people in an insulting and derogatory manner.
That said, if you talk to me and my friends, you would find that there is more REVERSE discrimination (e.g. against whites) at least in my area than there is regular discrimination (e.g. against Blacks and Hispanics). I don't really understand WHY it should be "Blacks can say the word whenever they want to each other but no one else can dare to say the word or else they'll get their asses kicked". It just doesn't make sense to me.

All of this crap ended back in the 70's. It's been almost 40 years...can't people get over it?

I will stress that I do not in any way support racism. I just find that people - particularly White people from the States - take racism well and above how it should be taken. It's like how a White kid with a 4.0 GPA and 5 AP courses can get denied from a college while a Black kid with a 2.6 GPA and no AP or even Honors classes gets accepted b/c the school needs to "fill it's quota". If you ask me, THAT is racism. Are you implying that Blacks aren't as intelligent as Whites, so they need to get special treatment and have rules relaxed? Bullshit.

Bill Cosby (A Black actor/comedian) was right, Blacks need to get over themselves and stand up for themselves - not lamely sit back and take freebies and make excuses just because they're Black. He certainly didn't -.-

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Jun 27 2009, 10:08 AM)Other comments they make on that site:
That just acts as more proof that they're simply trolling people trying to get a reaction - and very obviously succeeding.

That aside, the term 'slavedrive' isn't really a bad term... Hell, when talking about computers, you have a master and a slave drive. Employees often complain that their boss is 'slave driving them' - as in making them work hard for long shifts. etc. I think you're reading WAY deeper into it than you should...

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Jun 27 2009, 12:46 PM) Bill Cosby (A Black actor/comedian) was right, Blacks need to get over themselves and stand up for themselves - not lamely sit back and take freebies and make excuses just because they're Black. He certainly didn't -.-
AMEN!
biggrin.gif

We are all aware of the bad history that has taken place towards Blacks within the U.S., but we all have to understand that such bad times ARE history. Such racism that was back then, IS NOT still as strong now. The perfect example is how we actually have a Black President. This past election was proof of equality and that Blacks are NOT some underdogs within our country.

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Jun 27 2009, 12:46 PM)

I will stress that I do not in any way support racism.  I just find that people - particularly White people from the States - take racism well and above how it should be taken.  It's like how a White kid with a 4.0 GPA and 5 AP courses can get denied from a college while a Black kid with a 2.6 GPA and no AP or even Honors classes gets accepted b/c the school needs to "fill it's quota".  If you ask me, THAT is racism.  Are you implying that Blacks aren't as intelligent as Whites, so they need to get special treatment and have rules relaxed?  Bullshit.

Bill Cosby (A Black actor/comedian) was right, Blacks need to get over themselves and stand up for themselves - not lamely sit back and take freebies and make excuses just because they're Black.  He certainly didn't   -.-

QUOTE (Nightdragon @ Jun 27 2009, 12:51 PM)QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Jun 27 2009, 12:46 PM) Bill Cosby (A Black actor/comedian) was right, Blacks need to get over themselves and stand up for themselves - not lamely sit back and take freebies and make excuses just because they're Black.  He certainly didn't   -.-  
AMEN!  

We are all aware of the bad history that has taken place towards Blacks within the U.S., but we all have to understand that such bad times ARE history. Such racism that was back then, IS NOT still as strong now. The perfect example is how we actually have a Black President. This past election was proof of equality and that Blacks are NOT some underdogs within our country.
After reading these two quotes I had a feeling that this discussion might turn into some big race discussion *sighs.* The point of this thread was to discuss the usage of the "N" word and if it is appropriate in our speech or not.

Dchaos you just went on a rant saying how White kids get a 4.0 and black kids can get a 2.6 and get into the same college to fill a quota. Does that statement have anything to do with using the N word?

You go as far as to continue to say that blacks should "not lamely sit back and take freebies and make excuses just because they're Black..." Once again what does that have to do at all with the topic of using the "N" word. All you did was go on a your own rant about how you think blacks should not expect special treatment which has what again to do with this topic??????

Then you have nightdragon follow up saying with "Amen"
huh.gif
(was that even necessary who said anything at all about blacks being underdogs in our society?) your arguments need to be argument related we don't wanna steer this topic off into how you personally feel (right or wrong) about the college system and how it pertains to blacks and whites and turn this into a racial debate in that manner.

I'm sure there is a racism thread in the thoughtful section where your personal feelings and comments like that would be more appropriate. The topic discussion is also stated in the sub-description if you want to argue that point.

Racial slur and its effect in our speech.

If you wanna continue on with those types of rants maybe this thread would be better suited for it.

http://boards.fansub.tv/?showtopic=8521&hl=racism

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Jun 27 2009, 01:14 PM) After reading these two quotes I had a feeling that this discussion might turn into some big race discussion *sighs.* The point of this thread was to discuss the usage of the "N" word and if it is appropriate in our speech or not.
My apologizes Senpai-kun. The topic was slowly leaning off-topic and I just followed it.

Anyways, the N-word is still a vulgar word no matter how it is used. I believe a word use as Nigga or Nigger is just unwise to use. Be it in a friendly or offensive, is just a hypocritical word to use at any point or time.

Cool no worries, just didn't want to turn this thread into a black vs white race debate when that's not the purpose of the topic. Anyways let's all stay on-topic & keep the peace! ^^

i think dchaosblade is right about this issue. do i think it's weird/annoying that there are words that only some people, specifically a race can use? yes. do i want to use that word? can't see why i would, not in a derogatory sense anyway, i'm more clever then that. do i get upset when people use such words in a non derogatory way? of course not. words after all are just symbols, and symbols can have a plethora of meanings. as it's been pointed out, even though the swastika has been heavily taboo since the nazi's use of it, in truth it's just a symbol for the sun, used by many cultures from india, to the first americans, to the japanese. are you going to get all in a huff about the japanese pointing out their temple sights with the swastika? if so, maybe you need to get over yourself and thinking that only your interpretation of a symbol is right, or holds so much weight that others can't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back