The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Kyon is a slider? Strange that this never gets mentioned by the others. I remember in the first season, when Koizumi was breafing Kyon on who is what, he explained that Haruhi is the goddess, Yuki is an alien and Mikuru a time traveler, etc etc and Kyon is a totally normal boy 100% and his only purpose in the group is to keep Haruhi happy. I always had the feeling Haruhi wanted to have some normalcy in all that alien and time traveler crazyness and so she chose Kyon to be her ancor and he is supposed to question what Haruhi does and prevent her from taking off too high in her crazy ideas. He is the only one who may critisize her and to whom she ever appologized... well, sort of. Sliding between dimensions? Well it is possible, but I never felt that.

My take on why Kyon keeps his memories and why he is present in all the variations of the universe is, that Haruhi really likes him, so he needs to be there. And since he is her ancor, he needs to know what is going on. Or so I understood it.

So in other words Kyon became a slider for Haruhi's sake right? I mean even though he has no abilities by himself, but when he's around the others they can really show off thier abilities to him in away... Well as long as it isn't classified info though.
tongue.gif

So my take on the whole deal he may have started out normal, but became a slider due to hanging around Haruhi and the others for too long.

Anyways I wonder what was after the disapreance arc? I know there were a few more to this whole series. Anyways whatever comes next I'm sure Kyon will make sure his world stays the same... well for what he wants to keep it as is of course.
tongue.gif

Although with this I still want to see the Yuki side story animated now all because of the movie of course.

QUOTE (warita200 @ Feb 24 2011, 08:41 AM) My take on why Kyon keeps his memories and why he is present in all the variations of the universe is, that Haruhi really likes him, so he needs to be there. And since he is her ancor, he needs to know what is going on. Or so I understood it.
That is what I thought too, which is why I was surprised that you guys were talking about him being a slider here on the forums.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 24 2011, 08:59 AM)Anyways I wonder what was after the disapreance arc? I know there were a few more to this whole series. Anyways whatever comes next I'm sure Kyon will make sure his world stays the same... well for what he wants to keep it as is of course.

Although with this I still want to see the Yuki side story animated now all because of the movie of course.

I think I am going to look for the novels, they must be available somewhere since a lot of people seemed to have read them. I really want to know what happens next, and it could be awhile since we get anymore Haruhi from KyoAni...

I'm also going to look for this Yuki side story you keep talking about Kid-Wolf lol

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 24 2011, 12:59 AM) So in other words Kyon became a slider for Haruhi's sake right? I mean even though he has no abilities by himself, but when he's around the others they can really show off thier abilities to him in away... Well as long as it isn't classified info though.
tongue.gif

So my take on the whole deal he may have started out normal, but became a slider due to hanging around Haruhi and the others for too long.
Kyon didn't become a slider. He was one to begin with. No one knew about it and neither did he. Even at the end of the Disappearance arc, he still didn't realize that. If anyone, I'd say Yuki is the only one that actually knows as well as adult Mikuru but they simply choose not to reveal that to him.

Slider? Like the old Fox tv series? I watched the first episode again and didn't see any mention of slider in that proclamation of Haruhi's, maybe it was in the book or a later episode?

I came across this series when mentioned in some guys Gnostic/esoteric list of anime's that had some features ( http://www.examiner.com/gnosticism-heretic...-japanese-anime ), so I checked it out. I'm not young enough for most of this stuff, but some of these are really good, if not using the standard elements found in so much scifi from Star Trek to Matrix etc.

I wasn't going to get this one, but found this series online and watched it, and found it rather
cool.gif
. The dialogue of the narrator's/Kyon is rather funny, especially in the first season, but you do have to say it is the author speaking here as that guy isn't in High School, but rather late 20's to early 40's, same as the author of these books. One problem with that is the lack of communication, which might seem typical of guys in general, but under the circumstances, I would think these people would talk out loud to each other a whole lot more to better understand what's going on, especially Kyon, who seems to be the only one not really aware of what's going on, same as Haruhi only he isn't the go-getter she is. She seems like a 3-5 year old so full of energy and enthusiasm for life in general.. In other words, no burn-out yet. There's something to look forward to, but then Kyon seems to have enough for everyone, though Yuki sure shows it all the time as well, only without the emotional baggage until her classic "Ghost in the Machine" effect kicks in like Data in Star Trek Generations of whatever that more family friendly version was called, which didn't have the gusto of the first one from the 60's... same as Haruhi it seems.

There are so many comparisons in this series that can be found in so m any scifi literature/tv/film etc., but then given the 'wave' approach, that is to be expected and should only increase by said arrival in 2.5 years or so. The humor is refreshing from the darker, intospective Lain type material, which I liked, but again it seems the author is only using useful gnostic or esoteric elements that they really don't understand, but then that is usually the case. Those that go on the 'Grail Quest' aren't usually working in the business on the front lines.

One point I would suggest that stayed in my mind watching the Disappearance film was that it wouldn't have had the same effect, if I didn't watch (almost all) of those time loop episodes. I was watching all of this in the last couple of days, so I could fast forward through scenes that repeated, and not just the titles. I would agree with most here in saying the creators of this series could have done a much better job with keeping the repetition 'fresh' in ways to push the intent of the author, which I have to guess from as I haven't read them (Seems all are out there, but not here in the States till next year? Which is complete WACKO in terms of business sense) Not that I would buy them, but I would like to know if any other gnostic/esoteric stuff is in the rest of the series, as you never know what you can learn from, nor where you will find it, such as this teen anime. Obviously I'm not one, though some of the whole 'fan service' is completely insane, but in a good way. Just CRAZY! Very Funny!
laugh.gif

I would agree that 2nd season sales will no doubt suffer due to the what 8 episodes? That was crazy!!! 3 or 4 would have sufficed if done right, I thought like someone else here, that it could have been contractual infighting, messed up business sense of something like that, but at least I could fast forward through it. I kept looking for some addition to the storyline such as Kyon's approaching Yuki, but never. They could have had the scenes done from her perspective for a shift in the storytelling... Oh well, and it was just the predictable homework thing like others mentioned... with or without the group or Haruhi. Why didn't any one of them attempt to change things? Talk about it, change the schedule, ANYTHING!

I agree on the squeeky girl, Mikuru... good thing she finally grew up, but then parents are probably always saying that about their kids.
tongue.gif
These animes remind me of Disney stuff in that they are all too good looking usually, one or two is ok, real even, but it seems that the almost the entire population of that city is either a model or an actor with some major work done 'under the knife'.
ph34r.gif

So if anyone has read the rest of the books, could you give us a longer summation that Wikipedia? I'm really just looking for visualization of the gnostic/esoteric/4d aspects, as is said: "Visualizations clarify and unite images." It's way cool to see some of this stuff in a visual medium. It isn't the same reading about them, 'pictures speak a thousand words." Same with Harry Potter, but then Jo was a classics major in college, so the whole Grail Quest for her hero, Harry, is a given as well as the entirety of mythic traditions etc she uses. Matrix has come the closest it seems, at least the first one, and that old tv series 'Sliders' came very close at times with their 'reptilian' enemies instead of computer programs.

So any detailed summations of the rest of this series? Hopefully, the author follows Jo Rowling's example as has the kids grow up, like another poster mentioned, otherwise it just gets ridiculously the same retelling of the same stories over and over again, but then life is that way in reality isn't it, and the truth has to keep sneaking out from the closet as well.

Found a site that has the storylines from the books: http://haruhi.wikia.com/wiki/Haruhi_Suzumiya_Light_Novel

They also have the english voice actors. Interesting to see Haruhi is a woman ~56yrs old, Kyon's is ~40, both having a lot of experience and is it the best english dub I've heard in anime, as subs suck... especially if there is much dialogue at all, I feel as if I might as well read the book. A wee bit frustrating, and the actress doing Mikuru does a good job with the variation in age of her character past to future.

The closing Yuki theme song from the film is rather good, better over the credits than the music video I thought, maybe due to it coming after watching the emotions of her character in the film. Disappearance is just a good storyline, the author must feel good about that, though Haruhi does need some depth now compared to Yuki and Kyon and even Mikuru and from the newer books in the series come a flip or oppositional energy of characters.. like a mirror image with only Kyon's 'normal' character left out of the other group... like an active vs passive energy expression in the cosmos.. with Kyon's character as the pivot or nexus of neutrality... Interesting to watch these universal themes displayed.

The newer books have some similar short story aspects of the earlier ones.. good for tv series as well as the whole Dissassociation/Astonishment series that, as another has said, would make another good film.. interesting in the split storyline there, the a vs b thing with Kyon's old middle school classmate Sasaki and her group. Again that 4d split in energies and need to choose between them, and someone like Sasaki aware but so indecisive to the point that others seem to manipulate her openly... compared to the manipulation of Haruhi by her group unknowingly.

Again, it seems to imply the same comment from the C's: Knowledge Protects, Ignorance Endangers.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back