Sword of the Stranger

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

AnimeWiz07

-de gozaru~
Sempai
swordofthestranger.jpg

Just wondering how many people saw this movie, and what you thought of it. For some reason I couldn't find the thread via search...? My mistake, or was it never made? Anyway this one really caught my eye. If anything the sword fighting alone should be enough of a reason for anyone to watch it; it was really drawn with quite the detail. I've only found out about it... two days ago? Something like that, and was really blown away; it really amazes me what animators can do when they actually try.

All that rambling out, it was really a top notch movie; which in my opinion surpassed recent others like "Summer Wars" and the like by quite a large margin.

Edit@ImTakes: Yeah, I never checked the release date, how crazy is that?
tongue.gif
A movie from 07 still having more rewatch value than the crap we've been fed the last two years.
sad.gif

One of the better anime movies I've seen. If I had to, I'd rate it somewhere up high. Highly recommend it.

Like you said, sword fighting is simply spectacular AND realistic at the same time (no Naruto or Bleach ludicrousness), that last duel has to be seen to be believed, but where I think it kinda slouches is the story department. It's not bad or anything, but compared to pretty high animation quality it's pretty... un-inspired? Although to be honest, it's the characters that carry this one through and our 2 main leads (+1 antagonist, where we get to see him) are just so well characterized that you can excuse minor faults the movie has.

Gee...this movie was released like what, 2 or 3 years ago? I watched it and enjoyed it. Beautifuly animated, story and music. I liked most of the main characters, and I am a sucker for period pieces if they are done well. The action scenes were very good. It has been a while to give a good opinion though...well, I did add it to my anime collection, does that count?
wink.gif

MAL Reviews:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2418/Sword_of_the_Stranger

I practically forgot about this movie! It was one of the very few ones I actually saw with my little brother. To be honest, my movie memory really isn't that great, but I remember the animation and art direction both being awesome. That, and I remember thinking, "dang, how can one guy get so wounded and beat up, run a marathon, and then beat the most difficult fight of his life?

...I guess that really doesn't count as a thorough review
tongue.gif
. I guess it just means I need to watch it again sometime soon.
smile.gif

Hmm I cant really remember that much about this anime (far too wide back in the past ^^) but I can remember that this movie was just great and I really enjoyed watching it.
But I cant say more about it than that ^^"

I downloaded it a while ago and almost bought it on blu-ray, but didn't feel like paying $30 for it. Had two of my friends recently ask if I had ever seen it also so maybe I should finally get around to watching this one.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jan 22 2010, 05:07 PM) I downloaded it a while ago and almost bought it on blu-ray, but didn't feel like paying $30 for it. Had two of my friends recently ask if I had ever seen it also so maybe I should finally get around to watching this one.
You should know, Barbo-san, that this particular movie sat on my HDD for the longest time and then I watched it and wondered, "Why did I wait so long?" Anyway, hope it does the same for you and look forward to your take on it. The animation style and quality alone, is worth the watch...very well done. Bones always delivers in that regard.
wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrwmohlW7ec

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back