Supernatural - The Anime

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Anybody

-sama
Sempai
Title: Supernatural
Studio: Madhouse
Episode Count: 22
Release Date:January 12, 2011
Writer: Eric Kripke
Official Website: http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/supernatural/#/animeTop

Plot:
21st century. The world is seriously screwed, and it does not even know that. Sam Winchester, a somewhat promising law school student, is greeted in the middle of the night by his brother, Dean, who urges him to help to find their father, who is missing.

Well, usually when someone goes missing you go to police. But thats not the case when your whole family consists of hunters who journey through USA, hunting and killing things you never thought existed.

Slowly, the search for a missing father sheds light on the night 22 years ago when Sam and Dean's mother was killed in the fire...and dark forces hiding in plain sight, start their long term plan centering around the brothers...

Pics:

My Reaction:

HOLY ****. This one I did not see coming. Madhouse and Eric Kripke creating the anime adaptation of my favorite tv show. So far everything looks great. The VAs are already confirmed to be the current VAs dubbing the tv show in japan. Which is good thing, considering those VAs fit the characters well

Anyway, me wants Eye of the tiger song as OP

If you want to know what the original show was like, well, here are the trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5UsGKmRAzc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPkveGMFjro

I didn't see this coming either, looks like Supernatural is a big hit in Japan too.

I watched the vid of them speaking in Japanese, it's funny for me. But the voices do actually suit them, it's just awkward to see them speaking in Japanese lol.
I didn't recognize any of the VA's though, one sounds like Tsuda Kenjirou, but I'm not sure...
this makes me want to watch the actual series, I haven't seen any of it yet
tongue.gif

Never saw the TV series, but I will give this a try.

Moar info:

Yuya Uchida (Soul Eater's Dr. Franken Stein, Naruto Shippūden's Rinji) will dub the role of Sam, while Hiroki Touchi (Trinity Blood's Abel Nightroad, Bokurano's Kokkpelli) will dub the role of Dean. Both actors dubbed these same roles for the live-action version in Japanese."

Supernatural creator Eric Kripke is credited as the anime project's creator and writer, and MADHOUSE co-founder Masao Maruyama is serving as executive producer. Naoya Takayama (Night Head, Liar Game) is supervising the series' scripts, and Takahiro Yoshimatsu (Trigun) is designing the characters.

I'll have to take a look at this out of curiosity. It's difficult to imagine Sam and Dean as anything other than overtly American. It will be odd to see them with a whole different set of mannerisms. I wonder how many cultural references will be changed.

A few months ago a friend lent me whole of Season One of the TV version of Supernatural. It will be interesting to see how it's adapted for anime.

Oh lolz. This is just... dunno what to say
wink.gif
. Nevermind the looks I can never imagine Sam and Dean in anime :>, and especially since they seem to be making Sam a bit too... Spikish ? :]

am i behind time? i never heard of the series. ah...wait.. thats only because i dont watch tv.

i just hope it doesnt use the fake english/american accent. imagine gintoki saying "just do it" for half an hour.

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Aug 10 2010, 12:22 PM) English Narration? Does that mean a simultaneous release in America?
I would suspect it has more to do with the fact that the setting is the USA. There's lots of potential for the english language on that alone.

QUOTE (wedora @ Aug 10 2010, 05:55 PM) I would suspect it has more to do with the fact that the setting is the USA. There's lots of potential for the english language on that alone.
Yeah, I think you are right, but it seems to me like it would be a huge missed opportunity if they didn't air it over here as well. And it's not like the CW isn't in need of something good to fill out it's pathetic line-up.

I may actually need to turn on the TV and watch the cable I pay monthly for to see what the live action version of this is all about.

That said, the trailer looked sweet and reminded me of Shiki meets HOTD (without the bouncing boobs.. at least for now
wink.gif
)

Maybe be another series to add to the "wanna see" collection.

QUOTE (qrdel @ Aug 10 2010, 08:54 AM) Oh lolz. This is just... dunno what to say
wink.gif
. Nevermind the looks I can never imagine Sam and Dean in anime :>, and especially since they seem to be making Sam a bit too... Spikish ? :]
What do you mean too spikish?

he had that hair for whole three seasons till the whole bam happened.

QUOTE (obsan @ Aug 10 2010, 09:41 PM)I may actually need to turn on the TV and watch the cable I pay monthly for to see what the live action version of this is all about.

2 Brothers, 1 big country, over 9000 bad things haunting the place and just as many classic rock songs to go with it.

That or basically X-Files storyline portrayed as a cover song by ac/dc

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Aug 10 2010, 06:59 PM)QUOTE (wedora @ Aug 10 2010, 05:55 PM) I would suspect it has more to do with the fact that the setting is the USA. There's lots of potential for the english language on that alone.
Yeah, I think you are right, but it seems to me like it would be a huge missed opportunity if they didn't air it over here as well. And it's not like the CW isn't in need of something good to fill out it's pathetic line-up.

They are making a decent money even without more good stuff to show. And hey they are not THAT pathetic. At least they have at least two good shows in their line up unlike, for example, ABC, which pretty much canceled the last good thing they ever had. And don't let me get started about FOX....

QUOTE spikish?

He resembles Spike from Cowboy Bebop too much ;]. At least to me.

That's a pretty damn close cover of the Kansas song. If you listen closely though, you can hear the Japanese singer straining like mad not to let his accent bleed through. But all those "sions" tripped him up.
wink.gif

Looks cool. I hope the actual anime doesn't turn into half-baked CGI like Iron Man did.

SO the first 6 episodes or so came out on dvd this week in dual format (english voices with jared padalecki voicing sam and japanese voices).

So far only first two episodes, "Alter Ego" and "Roadkill", are of decent video quality, both of them re-adapting two season1 episodes.

I got to say i love the animation style in this.It really adds to the creepiness factor and overall atmosphere of the show.

So far they managed to quite faithfully adapt the tv show scenes and storylines, although I hoped that we would go in more chronological sequence, but apparantly they are going to "go back" and adapt the beginning of the show latter on.

Huge thumbs up for using carry on my wayward son cover as ending song.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back