Suffixs -chi,san,dono etc

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Should suffixes be banned?

• Yes - No one should have them they are pointless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Only mods should have them

• No - FansubTV wouldn't be the same without them

• Don't know

• Total voters

monsta666

-the bee's knees
Staff member
Fansub TV Team
My personal opinion is suffixes such as -chi, -san, -dono etc encourage the use of spam, pointless discussion and one line posts (not saying all one liners are bad especially if the comments made are witty). I believe the general quality of posts will improve in fansubTV if these titles are banned as people do not rush to gain a new title. I do not endorse a full ban however as I think mods should retain their titles just so users can easily identify the mods from the regular users.

What are you opinions on this matter should we keep the titles (it is one of the unique features of this site) or are you favour of ban? Don't be afraid to express your opinion on the matter!

Uh.... i don't think so; these tags have been here a long time. All they are showing is How much the member has posted, I don't think a lot of people want to rush just for a few words next to there name. So i don't think this is a problem; I've been here more than a year and you don't see me spamming my eyes out
biggrin.gif
. The fact is there's no significance in the tags so let it be.

I don't think it's a necessity to remove the titles, simply because they're basically just things that's been incorporated with the forums for fun. Even if we did remove them, I doubt it'll affect how people would post. For one thing, the spammer may just be trying to advertise, raise their post count, or just get a word in. Titles are just another, say, 1 of 1000th of those factors.

Plus most of the spam we've been getting has been attempts of advertisements, and we've been handling those real well. Other than that, we get spams from a certain group of people, not just random people who just signed up to screw with us like socks with holes.

Well I've been here for like....3 years and it only happened a few times....but earning a greater suffixs doesn't mean anything, unless your posts are recognized by fellow mods and daft you probably won't get a custom title or go to the senior members only areas. I know a few members who have over 1000 posts but they are still kouhais.

Ok perhaps there would be no significant change in the amount of spam (title or no title) but do you think the quality of peoples' posts would increase? That's not to say the posts in this site are of a bad quality (not at all), I just feel with better posts peoples experience of the site can be enhanced even further.

I think most of the members on this forum are smart enough to know that the suffixes are not indicative of how mature or correct the writer's post is. Also, we also know that those people who have higher suffixes should not be respected more of less than anyone else. The mods on this forum are constantly monitoring and spam does not seem to be a big problem as far as the public is concern. I'm not saying that there aren't people who spam or have pointless contributions to threads in this forum, but since people aren't taking too much pride in their suffix and flaunting it, it is more of a self-gratification feature.

The titles are cool! Pretty much every forum I've seen incorporates them in one way or another, but I think the whole chan/san/god^2 thing is a cool way of doing it. I don't see any real advantages of removing them.

And yeah, I don't think there's too much spamming going on just for the sake of increasing your rank.

...but sigh, I think I'm going to end up as one of those poor, miserable, empty shells of a kouhais with 1000+ post... I'm not there yet, but hey, someone's gotta populate the thoughtful section!
sad.gif

we're always working to increase the quality of the posts - however our attempts have been as of late labled 'over bearing' all the way to 'nazi regime like' we try our best but we cannot police everyone to the point where we go 'if you aren't going to say something deep and insightful at the level of a Uni lecturer please dont post *death glare*'

All we can do is to foster a close community where by we all respect each other by either not spamming, contribute what we think is quality posts and knowing when to point out something as spam or stopping yourself from putting someone down just because of their post/point of view. i know there has been some issues regarding some threads but it should not reflect totally on our site. we work continuously to help this community (i say community and not site because it is the people who make it what it is) to grow and learn, to become closer, friendlier and somewhere where we can all share our thoughts.

I know it can be frustrating when posts of low quality are posted (ie:spam, one lined posts etc) but changing the titles or not will not change the fact that there will be people who will just spam our boards for the heck of it. simply put they are not part of our community.

But from my point of view - expecting us to create a Utopia like fourm is just asking too much. we are humans as well as such we aren't perfect, we strive to do our best but it gets irritating when people blame us for not trying enough all the way to saying that we're over doing it. its hard to please everyone - as such we know we aren't perfect but we are deffinately alot better than other places out there.
smile.gif

so far i can simplify the idea that;
QUOTE Hypothesis: having suffixes will promotes spamming among members just to gain new titlei think there's a point there, but personally i think it might be just for some (few a.k.a minority) of us. though some thread are even might "useful" for spamming, especially those games thread XD. where some members might just blindly guess/post for the sake of spamming, but i'm sure that even if this is true, i believe there were only very few people acting like that.

and even if so, they will be bored later and their determination to do that (spam-for-title) is just a temporary. sometime later they will (supposedly) get tired and stop spamming like that. since i've been in the forum for quite a while, i can see those kind of people
ph34r.gif

I find it funny you made this thread after this post
laugh.gif

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Feb 07 2008, 03:46 PM)Being a guy I can't help but feel -chan is somehow wrong, I would have preferred -kun.

And as some members have noticed, just because you reach a specific post count doesn't mean your title changes. The more you try to spam to change your post count, the less likely it is to happen
ph34r.gif
So no, I don't think it's a problem. Users who don't like their titles just need to stay active, non-spammy members of the community and it will change to reflect their commitment.

I believe there is almost a unanimous consensus that these honorific must be kept and the thread does not require any further debate. Thank you for opinions, your experiences have entitled me on the nature of site. I think this thread should now be closed.

This forum completely threw me off.
I thought it was a forum to explain the diffrent suffixes.
I am actually new to japanese anime and i am really confused over the various honorifics.
I didn't even know that there were people who would post crap just to get their rank increased.
So LAME!!!!

Actually it shows how much you've posted here and how much time you've spent posting on the boards. Besides I did this on one other site that kind of did this, but it was kind of a catgirl kind of rank you'll get though.

Besides if you keep posting here it feels like you're kind of ganning the respect of everyone here, if you're being responsible of your postings and whatnot.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 11 2008, 12:26 PM)Actually it shows how much you've posted here and how much time you've spent posting on the boards. Besides I did this on one other site that kind of did this, but it was kind of a catgirl kind of rank you'll get though.

Besides if you keep posting here it feels like you're kind of ganning the respect of everyone here, if you're being responsible of your postings and whatnot.
I find it is much more important to judge the person's individual post on its own merits rather than base some opinion on the volume of posts they have posted previously. In other words it much better to have a relative newcomer post something worthwhile rather than an established person post something that is relatively useless. This is a bit of an extreme example but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say! In any case most of the peoples' comments have aligned my initial fears over the use of honorific.

lol, monsta666, I think you're using the wrong words in some of your sentences, giving the wrong meaning, but that aside...

The honorific given is not only based on your post count, but also on length of your posts and such. Even if you spam like mad, you will not get the -Sama honorific if all of your posts were one liners. Furthermore, I don't think there are many people - if any - on this forum who post many short posts just to change their honorific.
That said, I do not believe there should be any reason to change the system. I think it is a traditional part of the boards, and without them I don't think it would be quite the same - its part of what makes FTV unique.

Now, all of this aside, I do think it would be nice to add in an *optional* gender selection that - based on your gender - will assign chan/kun according to the users gender when that rank is obtained. This is for two reasons:
1) I have always thought it would be nice to know if a user is male or female simply because it's always awkward to post "He said that ----" and then get corrected that it was a she, or vice versa.
2) There have apparently been many complaints from users that they didn't like the -chan honorific because they are boys. I don't see anything wrong with it (the -chan honorific is applicable to both males and females), but it is a big deal to some people for some reason. *cough*

I love having -chan at the end of my name (male) :acclamation:

yeah suffix are more or less pointless, but nonsense can be considered the base of humor

side topic content (maybe):
QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Feb 11 2008, 06:55 PM)...Now, all of this aside, I do think it would be nice to add in an *optional* gender selection that - based on your gender - will assign chan/kun according to the users gender when that rank is obtained....i have a good impression on this feature. because in some community forum, they do have this feature. for example, we can use blue border (at the avatar) for male and pink for female. this would give better and easier to distinguish between male and female member. and most of the member here i dunno his/her gender though... =_+

this might be an off-topic, but im using this opportunity for inquiry:

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Feb 11 2008, 09:01 AM)And as some members have noticed, just because you reach a specific post count doesn't mean your title changes. The more you try to spam to change your post count, the less likely it is to happen ...one thing i noticed that sometimes i post (usually short post), the post count (total cumulative posts) doesnt count. and sometime just post one and it even count for >1. why does it happen? just eager to know..
tongue.gif

by the way, my favourite suffix would be -san, so id better be inactive (or conservely active) to maintain this suffix
tongue.gif

I found the suffixes humorous and surprisingly appropriate considering the site we are at.

That said, I'm not a heavy poster here, and half the time my posts end up being a mile long (I tend to be long winded and save half of what I should say for a rainy day...) however I don't think they take away from anything serious. From what I've seen in the threads I post in, most people try to stay on topic as humanly possible and the team running the show here extend their efforts to keep people from straying off topic, bust spam and keep annoyances to a minium. As a matter of fact, 99% of all threads I've posted in, the topics have been constructive, posts have been meaningful, and discussion stays on track.

Mind you I don't post in every forum or every thread, so there are probably exceptions, however gauging from a frequent visitor and semi-active poster, I enjoy having the "unique factor" the suffixes bring to the forum. I'd like mine changed from chi to san at some point (shoot me for not looking on how these suffixes actually change
laugh.gif
) however that's a completely different topic.

Edit: woo!
laugh.gif
didn't even notice I'm upgraded from -chi to -chan now.... wow
tongue.gif

Orignally I thought the -chan honorific was for a girl, but it's actually for both at a certain age in real life. But for here it's for anyone that's still new, but are doing a good job here. It's just one of the few honorifics that happens to be at the bottom. I would of probablly luaghed if we actually had a -tan title around that low area though.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back