Steve Job's Death

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

monsta666

-the bee's knees
Staff member
Fansub TV Team
Just a few hours it was announced that co-founder of Apple, Steve Jobs has passed away. As one of the great businessmen of modern times and the creator of iconic products such as the Mac, ipod, ipad and iphone it is a sad day to see him pass.

R.I.P. Apple's chairman and previous CEO of Pixar... to think today is Daft's birthday
ph34r.gif

And RIM's stock goes sky high~

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Oct 06 2011, 05:15 AM) R.I.P. Apple's chairman and previous CEO of Pixar... to think today is Daft's birthday
ph34r.gif

Who knows maybe daft becomes a new Steve Jobs and ftv the new apple. Well joking aside, its really sad news that Steve Jobs passed away, I knew his condition isnt the best but that he would pass away that quick...
sad.gif
. He really was a brilliant business man, who knows where apple would be today without him. RIP.

It's very sad to lose such an iconic figure. When all is said and done, Steve Jobs achieved some quite astounding successes. I will miss his charismatic product presentations which lost none of their impact when viewed from afar. It's true that Apple won't be the same without him.

I wonder if people will turn to other companies Noob. For some it will engender great sympathy for the company and for others it will foster a deeper sense of loyalty.

 Think different.

Are you guys... Macfags/Jobians?

I really can't find it in myself to feel bad about the passing of the man who created those overpriced hunks of junk. I'm not denying he's an impressive man though, what with establishing his own religion and all that.

In any case, I can't help but feel that something is off with this. He recently resigned. Either his death was foreseen or it's all a huge CONSPIRACY. Oh my god JOBS IS SKYNET.

I don't usually respond to trolls but I have some spare time so I'll indulge.

I have used Mac, Windows, Linux and a multitude of devices from various companies. The GUI, design and consistency of Mac products makes them my personal choice. I respect the ubiquitous nature of Windows, the philosophy behind Linux and the how reasonably priced some brands are.

Steve Jobs was an impressive entrepreneur and technologist. No doubt, as Jobs entered the late stages of pancreatic cancer, he made the decision to spend his remaining time with his wife and four children.

QUOTE (Nahrallah @ Oct 06 2011, 05:26 AM)
I wonder if people will turn to other companies Noob. For some it will engender great sympathy for the company and for others it will foster a deeper sense of loyalty.

 Think different.
I spent 1k supporting this company so the company whom i shall not name can go bankrupt and now this happens. qq =[

QUOTE No doubt, as Jobs entered the late stages of pancreatic cancer

Oh wow. Jobs is a visionary, but it looks like "PC" had the last laugh.

To be clear, I only have qualms with the ishit he's released recently. The Macintosh is a treasure. Without it, it may be possible that we won't even be having this conversation right now or I won't be able to play vidya on the PC. But yeah, with the recent ishittery, I really can't feel bad for him.

QUOTE (noob @ Oct 07 2011, 03:15 PM)I spent 1k supporting this company so the company whom i shall not name can go bankrupt and now this happens. qq =[

I doubt that Apple will go under. Steve Jobs was certainly a prominent figure but the company will continue without him. Understandably, cancer is something that makes some people consider how to ensure that things continue without them.

QUOTE In March of 2008, Steve Jobs was interviewed by Forbes and spoke candidly about Apple’s prospects for success in his absence:
"...some people say, ‘Oh, God, if [Jobs] got run over by a bus, Apple would be in trouble.’ And, you know, I think it wouldn’t be a party, but there are really capable people at Apple and the board would have some good choices about who to pick as CEO. My job is to make the whole executive team good enough to be successors, so that’s what I try to do."

I think that Steve achieved that goal.

It is hard to say with any certainly where Apple will go without Steve Jobs. Many other iconic leaders such as Wal-Mart and Intel did well after their prominent founders left while Ford (Henry Ford was a bigger icon than Jobs I would say) and Disney have not thrived so much. Jobs was a source of inspiration and innovation that's for sure and in a fast moving industry such as IT that is crucial. 10 years ago Microsoft's position seemed insurmountable yet Apple is clearly the bigger company now. Without sufficient innovation Apple will lose their market share and dominance. But the company dying? I see that as unlikely.

Well all these things are way way in the future, when looking at timelines that far you are essentially looking at a crystal ball. We never know what can happen; maybe in 10 years time Facebook will buy Apple out and include iTunes as part of peoples' profiles!

Oh my effing god. That feel when some popular businessman who sells overpriced, shiny, 'hip' gadgets gets mourned by millions when he dies but the guy who made it all possible in the first place dies and barely anyone remembers.

R.I.P. Dennis Ritchie. You deserved more.

P.S. Seriously, screw people. Screw everyone.

@khael - If you feel that strongly, I'm surprised that you didn't think that Dennis Ritchie's passing deserved starting a new thread. Why draw attention away from such a significant event by having it as an addendum to a thread that is about another person's death? Isn't that compounding the insult to his memory?

I agree that it really is a tragedy that Dr Dennis Ritchie, whose contribution was largely intangible but was certainly profound, died alone and that his passing was not more widely acknowledged.

My words are colored and I have an agenda. Don't you think it'd be much more insulting if I started a whole thread with that agenda in mind?

Besides, trash spouting condolences IS much more insulting, regardless of whether I had an agenda or not. It's the equivalent of an idiot exclaiming "That's brilliant!" or "That's clever!" to something he doesn't fully understand, or some pretentious, insecure hipster-poseur describing a piece of abstract art as a masterpiece without fully understanding the idea, feeling, or message the artist wants to convey. Don't tell me that isn't insulting, and don't tell me it isn't irritating whenever you hear people utter such things.

A great man with a great mind is dead, and whatever I saw will not bring him back nor make this shithole we live in any better.

EDIT:

Someone said Steve Jobs painted this gray-shaded industry with the colors of the rainbow.

Well, Dennis Ritchie said 'Let there be light'.

Sadly a lot of people who helped shape the modern technology are approaching or already within an age in their life, which can be compared to dusk within a day cycle.

His accomplishments for modern people where truly outstanding, may earth be down for Dr. Ritchie.

When posts exude self-righteous anger and present "me against the world" rhetoric then they become narcissistic ramblings which obscure any salient kernels of information that may lie beneath layers of loathing.

Dr Ritchie and Mr Jobs were very different people who worked in a field so broad in many respects that it easily encompasses such diversity. Whereas Dennis Ritchie was a creator, inventor and scientist, Steve Jobs was an entrepreneur and technologist. Both will be remembered for different reasons. They were both important figures but Jobs sacrificed a certain degree of privacy while Ritchie chose to live a quiet life. Consequently, the general public were more aware of Steve Jobs passing while, on the whole, only a select portion of the population knew about Dennis Ritchie's death.

In a number of respects, Steve Jobs may have stood on the shoulders of Dennis Ritchie but he, in turn, stood on the shoulders of Martin Richards (Before C Programming Language ;-) and others preceded them. Innovation is frequently acknowledged as the work of one but often comes from the minds of many. Programming languages actually predate the computer so, sadly, there are a great many people who made a significant contribution to this field and slipped away almost unnoticed.

It's sad that two men, who both made contributions to our society, should be pitted against each other in a macabre debate about who is more worthy of being remembered.

QUOTE When posts exude self-righteous anger and present "me against the world" rhetoric then they become narcissistic ramblings which obscure any salient kernels of information that may lie beneath layers of loathing.

Wait what? I just admitted I was wrong so where are you getting all of this? Are you sure you read the post properly?

Let's summarize:

1. I have an agenda, posting a thread with it is much more insulting.
2. I've already established that agenda before, so whatever I say would seem insincere, insulting, irritating.
3. Whatever I say won't make the world better/bring him back.
4. Posted condolences anyway because why not? Now, isn't it irritating and insulting?

So yeah, I'm not sure whether you're reading too much into it or whatever.

Edit:

QUOTE It's sad that two men, who both made contributions to our society, should be pitted against each other in a macabre debate about who is more worthy of being remembered.

Ritchie should just get more recognition. Not 'more than Jobs' but 'more than he is currently receiving' which is what I friggin meant by 'deserved more' in case you read too much into that phrase as well.

But still, screw everyone.

QUOTE (khael @ Oct 20 2011, 02:29 AM)My words are colored and I have an agenda.
I didn't realise that that statement constituted admitting that you were wrong. I don't for one moment think that you should need to apologise for the the opinions you hold; however, you don't educate people about the significant contribution someone made by being verbally aggressive and insulting towards the world at large. Such an approach is likely to obscure your words. In the main, your posts are littered by screw anyone who wants to reflect on Steve Jobs's contributions and screw the world rhetoric. Basically, the words you've used in most of your posts and your general tone indicate that anyone who disagrees with you doesn't deserve to voice their opinion and are complete idiots for having a different opinion. That kind of misdirected outrage is self-righteous, self-serving and narcissistic. I think that you probably had some very good points to make but your aggressive stance seemed designed to alienate the reader. You have a right to express your opinion but so do others.

I suggested starting a thread about Dennis Ritchie as a more appropriate means of reflecting on his life's work. After all, Dr Ritchie's achievements were considerable. I find it sad that discussion of Dennis Ritchie's death seems have become entangled with that of Steve Jobs in forums everywhere. Rather than compound this insult, it seemed more just that another thread, dedicated to discussion of Dennis Ritchie's contributions to our society, should exist.

QUOTE (khael @ Oct 23 2011, 03:49 AM)Whatever I say won't make the world better/bring him back.
Perhaps you had an opportunity to make a few people aware of Dr Ritchie's contributions rather than fruitlessly railing against the general injustices of life and occluding the points you were making.

Death should not be turned into some kind of popularity contest as has been the case with many discussions of Job's and Ritchie's deaths.

I entirely agree that Dennis Ritchie's passing deserved more media coverage. Perhaps that is the price of choosing to live a quiet life doing what one loves. When all is said and done, I doubt that Dr Ritchie would have chosen to trade what he had for Mr Jobs's high profile.

QUOTE When I read commentary about suggestions for where C should go, I often think back and give thanks that it wasn't developed under the advice of a worldwide crowd. (Ritchie)

I just read this and thought that it was quite poignant.

QUOTE “Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”

-S. Jobs, 2005 Commencement address, Stanford

ripsteevejobs.jpg

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back