Steins; Gate

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

monsta666

-the bee's knees
Staff member
Fansub TV Team
gate1c.jpg

Title: Steins; Gate
Japanese title: シュタインズ ゲート
Original run: 5th April 2011–21st June 2011 (12 episodes)
Original creators: 5pb., Nitroplus
Animation Studio: WHITE FOX
Official website (Japanese): http://steinsgate.tv/index.html

Seiyuu cast
Asami Imai as Kurisu Makise
Mamoru Miyano as Rintarō Okabe

Halko Momoi as Feliz Nyannyan
Kana Hanazawa as Mayuri Shiina
Saori Goto as Moeka Kiryū
Tomokazu Seki as Itaru Hashida
Yu Kobayashi as Ruka Urushibara
Yukari Tamura as Suzuha Amane

TRAILER: CLICK HERE

Plot

Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past. As they perform different experiments, an organization named SERN who has been doing their own research on time travel tracks them down and now the characters have to find a way to avoid being captured by them. (Taken from ANN)

My thoughts

The plot sounded a bit out there so I was unsure what to quite expect from this series. The layout of the opening episode was a little on the confusing side but on the whole it was decent if not spectacular. It seems someone is clearly making major changes to the time-line and there is the potential for the show to build on this peculiar opening episode. I hope some questions as to what is going on will be answered in the coming episodes.

Ok after seeing the first episode I kind of like the whole time paradox setup it seems to have here somehow. In any cas the best part of what I heard of this series is you don't need to see Chaos;Head since it feels kind of like a stand-alone series that takes place in the same universe and whatnot.

In any case I think I might follow this series to see how far down the rabbit hole this series goes mind you.
tongue.gif

A pretty cool start, though I think I can already see through some of the things they are planning to do with the time-travel stuff. The whole series might be watchable just for Mayuri Shiina, who is incredibly cute. Being voiced by Kana Hanazawa always helps with that.

Chaos;Head was actually pretty good until it fell apart in the third act. Once they explained what was going on it lost all it's mystery and therefore it's charm. This show has a completely different writing and directing team so I don't think any real comparison is necessitated at all.

Granted, but for those who have played the Visual Novel do know that Steins; Gate takes place a bit after Chaos;Head. Granted that anime shouldn't be compaired to this series, but to some people this is just reassurance that it won't end up like the Chaos;Head anime... hopefully.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Apr 07 2011, 08:17 AM) Chaos;Head was actually pretty good until it fell apart in the third act. Once they explained what was going on it lost all it's mystery and therefore it's charm. This show has a completely different writing and directing team so I don't think any real comparison is necessitated at all.
Quite encouraging to hear. I watched Chaos;Head but wasn't particularly impressed, especially towards the end. The first ep of Stein's;Gate was pretty good, so I'm holding out hope it doesn't devolve into failure.

The trailer looked good so I'm considering picking this up, but...

Question: is the plot in this one related to Chaos;Head at all? Can I watch it and understand w/o watching C;H first?

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 08 2011, 02:18 AM) The trailer looked good so I'm considering picking this up, but...

Question: is the plot in this one related to Chaos;Head at all? Can I watch it and understand w/o watching C;H first?
This is supposed to be related to chaos head? I didnt know..... and didnt see any connection or similarity in the first episode I watched either.

If anything, the first episode didnt make much sense, but thats because obviously somebody is messing with the time line, so then it leaves you like: wtf?

By the way, this "laboratory" they have reminds me atmosphere wise of a typical japanese high school club, lol

I really like the premise of this anime. First episode was intriguing but I would be lying if I knew WTF was going on.

From what I gather, Kyouma is interfering with his own personal timeline but im not sure.

The guy is wrapped in so many self-delusions which seems to be based on some truth, that is hard to know what is true and what is false. Is there an agency? Im not convinced. However, it makes sense if he was sending messages to the past to protect people from the agency.

Eitherway, as with any time travel premise I hope it does not get too convoluted, but I shall have fun unravelling this over the summer

QUOTE (warita200 @ Apr 08 2011, 02:24 AM) This is supposed to be related to chaos head? I didnt know..... and didnt see any connection or similarity in the first episode I watched either.
I don't know, that's what I'm asking. I know that's it's made by the same people with apparent affinity for punctuation errors, but am not sure if there is supposed to be any sort of continuity.

Short answer no, long answer yes. The short answer is because Chaos;Head failed to deliver at the end of things. The long answer is it follows the timeline of the Visual Novels which means playing the Chaos;Head Visual Novel is optional along with watching the anime.

Pretty much it might be easier to spot out the characters from Chaos;Head if you watched it, but that's all you're going to get out of that for this series it seems.

OK, I can live with not noticing a few cameo appearances. Will check the series out, thanks!

I am LOVING this.

Finally anime worth checking out(after quite a long time).

I am interested on which theory exactly will they use to explain the time fluxes and on if it will be more like Donnie Darko or more like Primer(or something in between those two with a mix of If Only).

I would not be surprised if at least one of his two companions is already dead or has not been born yet, which would fit into whole time continuum disruption surrounding them three..

His delusions are also an interesting thing. Will it be just usual psychosis or is it something like the psychical state Donnie Darko was in - an insanity that leads towards a certain point in time.

Its sad though, that so many viewers will most likely be confused. Nowadays viewers expect to be spoonfed the info and anything that requires people to interpret stuff, usually garners very confusing reactions.

this story involves time travel. don't expect anything explained by the laws of normal reality. Most time travel stories involve certain kinds of causality paradoxes and are very heavy on time travel mechancs. Not to mention that if this is as confusing as Primer, viewers themselves will need to sort out what happened and when happened.

+10 for not overusing background music. Its nice to see anime that respects the power of silence. Ever since Buffy episode in season 5 "Body", I haven't really seen any show or anime that could use complete lack of BGM as BGM.
+10 for time travel hijinks and causality paradoxes.
+10 for no overly cute char designs.
+10 for artistic washed out color palette.
+10 for good cliffhanger.

Overall: 5/5

P.S. Anyone feel that Falling satelite will be used in similar way as Plane was used in Donnie Darko movie? It sort of gives me the same feeling.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Apr 10 2011, 11:52 AM)this story involves time travel. don't expect anything explained by the laws of normal reality. Most time travel stories involve certain kinds of causality paradoxes and are very heavy on time travel mechancs. Not to mention that if this is as confusing as Primer, viewers themselves will need to sort out what happened and when happened.
Time travel is a risky premise to begin with. While audiences like me dont expect to be spoonfed like a baby, I can certainly tell when the writers themselves are confused and write in extra plot to fill in holes. An example would be the ill-fated show Heroes which buckled under its own weight of time-travelling escapades.

I really think from beginning to end, no answers will be provided, and that is fine, as long as it feels satisfying.

On a side note, to me, Donnie's insanity always felt plausibly sane if that makes sense. I feel Kyouma comes across as a bit of a manic depressive warped in his own reality, who just coincidently is surrounded by strange events. In this scenario, it becomes harder to discern which events are happening and which events are made up within time paradoxes. Plus there is something to be said that we are only witnessing the current Kyouma's timeline and not future-selves acting according to different objectives.

I do agree though that this is the most interesting show to come out this season but also the most taxing.

yesss...another mind-rape series. As bad as Chaos;head ended, it was enjoyable while it lasted. This one has a much grittier feel so far, so hopefully it won't suffer the same fallout. As someone who had aspirations to become a neurosurgeon, the brain is still one of my major fascinations and curiosities. Watching a series in the perspective of a person who can't distinguish reality from fiction does a number on you... it leaves my head feeling like it just went for a two-hour tumble in bed with a superior brain - exhausted. I love that mind-mush feeling so much. Looks like I can offset this one with Dog Days afterwards to mellow out...gotta keep balanced.

Normally Im not a fan of time travels and such (to be honest I hate such a setting) but Im still giving this anime a change, mostly because a lot of people say that the VN is pretty good.

Characterwise it seems pretty interesting with an totally delusioned, or maybe delusioned, male lead and a mysterious female lead. But that was it already. Mayuri is totally useless for now, what makes her the perfect cause of everything and the "hacka" is pretty normal.

Animation is nice and suits the series.

Overall a good first ep.

Great episode. They used parallel time travel theory (since the one timeline one is impossible due to causality paradoxes) And I loved the references to John Titor. So far everything in this is quite grounded in real world theories.

I would not be surprised on if its something like Primer and SERN/CERN is

run by Rintaro's friends who are in disagreement with him
, while John Titor is actually

Rintaro trying to prevent his own creation of time machine

Also for those interested
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory
http://altimatrix.com/parallel-timelines

A-must if you want to understand what is happening.

The show already has at least 6 to 12 timelines.

Ok so we go by string theory that tiem travel is not possible, but I alsways thought that sring theory was a flawed way of logic from what I friend told me in real life of course.

Although the best wtf moment was the gel banana being re-attached to the whole bunch. I kind of wonder if there is some sort of conspiracy thoery running here or not.

Heck from my guess since that text he accidently sent back in time in the first epsiode may have cuased soemthing along hte line of a butterfly effect, causing everything else around him to change.

@Anybody, thanks very much for providing the wiki links, I had far more fun reading those than actually watching the episode. And you were right, one needs to do a little reading, in order to know what is going on.

I especially enjoyed the John Titor story. It was mentioned in the wiki article, that his posts were met with a certain scepticism, but obviously some people believed him, otherwise he would have never caused such a hype. I am surprised though, that anybody would take him seriously at all. I mean, everybody can join IRC or a forum and start claiming he is a time traveler. But just like the article said, we dont know without any doubt he was a hoax, because if we take the multiple parallel theory into acount, his version of history was different to ours.

Here my thoughts to it tough:
Lets asume that the time traveler went back into the past and changed something, which caused the history split and that created two worlds. One world, where that change didnt happen, which means the future looks exactly as the time traveler knows it, and a new world, where the history is altered by the change he caused. Now here is what I am wondering about:
1) if the time traveler decided to remain in this altered past, then there is no problem, right??? But what if he wants to return to the future?
2) Can he go back to the world number one with the unaltered future? That would mean not only time travel, but also travel from one parallel world to another.
3) or is he trapped in the parallel world he created, meaning he can travel to future, but it isnt the future he came from, aka nobody knows him, etc?

But to come back to John Titor story. He claimed he traveled back to the past to prevent the third world war. But by doing so, he would create a new parallel world and if traveling between the worlds is not possible, then that would effectively trap him in this world. That means his plan to acquire the PC model and return to the future to use it is logical faulty, because it is likely nobody in this new version of the future needs the device or expects him to return.

Also, I am also hoping whoever John Titor is reading the books and articles written about him and I bet he is laughing his ass off, watching how this whole fooling around in the forums created a hype around him and he even appears in animes and so on. I really liked the references to him in this anime and I am looking forward to the next episode greatly.

The WTF feeling is getting less, especially now that I read the wiki links and I can actually follow the logic of the plot.

QUOTE (warita200 @ Apr 13 2011, 06:47 AM) 1) if the time traveler decided to remain in this altered past, then there is no problem, right??? But what if he wants to return to the future?
2) Can he go back to the world number one with the unaltered future? That would mean not only time travel, but also travel from one parallel world to another.
3) or is he trapped in the parallel world he created, meaning he can travel to future, but it isnt the future he came from, aka nobody knows him, etc?

But to come back to John Titor story. He claimed he traveled back to the past to prevent the third world war. But by doing so, he would create a new parallel world and if traveling between the worlds is not possible, then that would effectively trap him in this world. That means his plan to acquire the PC model and return to the future to use it is logical faulty, because it is likely nobody in this new version of the future needs the device or expects him to return.

Also, I am also hoping whoever John Titor is reading the books and articles written about him and I bet he is laughing his ass off, watching how this whole fooling around in the forums created a hype around him and he even appears in animes and so on. I really liked the references to him in this anime and I am looking forward to the next episode greatly.
1) Theoretically he can't. IF one is succesfully creates paralel timeline and/or transfers into one, he should by all means become part of that timeline.

If he moved into future from that point he would move into future of that timeline, possibly causing it to split yet again at the arrival. The only way to even do that would be arriving at at least SOMEWHAT identical parallel timeline, which according to chaos theory is...well....good luck trying.

2) Theoretically all time travel that is plausible is a travel between parallel universes. And no. at best he could through his actions create/jump into a similar parallel world to his own, but due to application of butterfly effect, there's no way for him to know the extent of divergences his choices make. He could, for example, bump into random person in america in the past and that would diverge the timeline into another parallel where, for example, USA is governed by nazi totalitarian regime in 2011.

3) He can travel through the current parallel universe or he can change something else, making it shift into yet another parallel universe. To be exact, from traveler's POV, the universe he IS in is the primer/primary universe, while the one he WAS in becomes a parallel from his POV.

Traveling in time = Traveling between parallel realities. AT our current understanding of quantum physics, it is nigh impossible, because to cross over to another parallel you need to be "disassembled" at molecular level and then reassembled a the parallel. What happens with that? Look at the banana going gel banana in the episode.

That can be. But time travel point is not to "change" parallel universes. Its to change the primer universe from the traveler's POV. So if he ends up in timeline where no one needs that, its all good for him anyway. Thats what is depressing about multiple worlds or multiverse - there's a world where any of is us dead, there's a world where we did not just think about that and so on. And nothing can change that.

Possibly. But that is one things we will never find out. And even if he was a fake, there's infinity of parallel realities where he was not a fake.

Well, the second episode was excellent. There was some good character development and some hilarious scenes. It was also weaving a complex narrative of real world theories which I thought were transitioned seamlessly.

From my perspective, the science behind what is presented is not all that important. At best, much like the John Titor story, it is just providing a metaphysical argument. Neither of which can be quantified or qualitatively assessed. From here, I say it would be a travesty of the writers to take time travel theory seriously.

Whether X is time travelling to change the state of Y caused by Z, will not be nearly as interesting as the state of Kyouma by the end of it all. I have my suspicions as to the real nature of time travel Kyouma is witnessing.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back