Speed Grapher Episode 1

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

SpacePirate

-ecchi ja arimasen
Retired
I'd heard quite a bit of hype on this series, and saw the trailer a few times. However, that hardly prepared me for what I've seen so far... As I mentioned, this one's definitely not for the kiddies... Set in future/alternate reality Tokyo, where drugs and political corruption runs rampant in the streets, where Saiga, the protagonist, makes a living as a photographer. Thrust immediately into an incredibly awkward situation (and this isn't our beloved School Rumble awkward, either!), we learn quite a bit about our protagonist from his actions in the first minute of the anime. We are quickly introduced to a man who is quite obviously a treacherous villain, who is very easy to hate, and given a bit of insight as to the current chain of events in our modern day Tokyo's political scene.

As Mentar mentioned in his description (complete episode description/screencaps/spoilers can be found there, I highly recommend reading the Memento anime blog, if you're into that sort of thing), a bit of verisimilitude is sacrificed for the badass factor, although it wasn't over-the-top enough to be cheesy. At least we see that by the end of the episode, he's still quite human, and prone to mistakes.

This one is definitely not for the squeamish, but if you can handle it, it looks fantastic, and there is already enough of a background for quite the ride.

Initial impression: Thumbs up

~ SpacePirate

After looking at the preview and reading something about it on nfo I downloaded it as soon as it became available. It seemed like a show with potential.
wink.gif

Havent watched the ep yet though, but from what I saw it looked really dark.

hehe, good stance perdan
happy.gif
as for me (just like TNT) my curiosity has already been piqued w/ SP's write up so il go try the 1st ep. will try to give in some review too to help you make THE decision
tongue.gif

i watched the 1st ep, and yes, it looks promising... definitely dark and for an older audience.. and me like that, because most of the series i have are for younger ones! it'll take me another couple of episodes to decide as well, but meanwhile i'll download them as soon as they become available.

/jp

Heh, this season, I'm trying to watch every series that is being subbed, and dropping them as I find the show bores me... To date, I'm thinking of watching most of them, except Loveless (...), Memories Off 3.5 Inori no Todoku Toki (a bit too girly for my tastes), perhaps Dokuro-chan (depends on if it gets interesting at all), and Law of Ueki, if it ends up boring me. Erementar Gerad, Speed Grapher, Sousei no Aquarion, and Ichigo 100% look promising, and I'm currently downloading Tsubasa Chronicle.

What'd you guys think of the OP? Some of the older board members may remember the song...
wink.gif

~ SpacePirate

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back