Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
So you don't want to tell us about the OVA's? No spoiler hunh? I assume they'll use them later in the series? Did you say they were part of some extra package?

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Mar 6 2016,08:47 PM)spoiler hunh? I assume they'll use them later in the series? Did you say they were part of some extra packageyes instead of seeing raw OVAs bundled in 7 and 8th mangas, i 'fast-forwarded' comparing ep.1 differences... so #10 prior his master died MC said "i don't take apprentices! The answer won't change, even until doomsday" oh irony
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I went through that OVA with no sub, it is the first episode... faked me out at first, seeing her playing volleyball I think in the opening seconds... I keep forgetting that this series is placed in the afterwar years.... I keep thinking of it as turn of the last century, seeing how no technology is ever seen, for the most part.... and the characters jobs are the same way... from a previous era that is fading out... in part, as they too transition and adapt to the new age.

This series is ongoing as well, I wonder if they've gotten a green light for a second series yet? Like baseball, especially here in the States, it may be a dying sport, but it still attracts the older segment of the audience with money to spend, so continue it most definitely does do.... I wonder if rakugo isn't the same in Japan? and maybe this anime will get that pickup notice due to the advertisers demand?

That said, this remains a well done work, more of a work of art than the overwhelming majority of animes out there, a rarity, and it isn't in parts like Aria or Tamayura due to the usual kids, school life etc, but the whole piece is... maybe the word is adult? The dynamics change from high school, but the people really don't for the most part.... so maybe that analogy isn't fair, but accurate, due to the simple fact that we, as adults will let the kid stuff slack on most subjects, but not the adult stuff, sort of how old black and white films can be given slack for the way they treat many subjects, by saying that's the way it was back then.... but if they do a B&W film of that time period now, we don't allow the same slack. Hmmm.

Either way, this is a nice work of art.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Mar 23 2016,6:52 PM)Yeah, I went through that OVA with no sub, it is the first episode... faked me out at first, seeing her playing volleyball I think in the opening seconds... I keep forgetting that this series is placed in the afterwar years.... I keep thinking of it as turn of the last century, seeing how no technology is ever seen, for the most part.... and the characters jobs are the same way... from a previous era that is fading out... in part by final preview maybe it'll cover OVA 2 but since ep'1, even knowing Sukeroku dies I'm still surprised with #12... Seeing how tragic it was right after he's back to rakugo, the lovers' suicide that Miyokichi's 'hell' meant for Kikuhiko instead
sad.gif

Just watched ep 12 and really liked the way they dispose of the two characters before moving back into the present time... unexpected, thus much appreciated.... nicely tied together with the earlier rakugo performance... nice and quick, clean and meaningfully expressing a relationship that until that moment we weren't allowed to see in any intimate terms, and then the result can be easily surmised as well... nicely written episode. Earlier, I really didn't expect the mc to express himself to her, so that was a little surprising as well, indicating he felt more towards her than he allowed himself to feel, though he did say to his friend a few eps back... so nice full ep.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Mar 26 2016, 06:22 PM)really liked the way they dispose of the two characters before moving back into the present time... unexpected, thus much appreciated.... nicely tied together with the earlier rakugo performance... nice and quick, clean and meaningfully expressing a relationship that until that moment we weren't allowed to see in any intimate terms, and then the result can be easily surmised as well...yep but Matsuda mourned their death the most ;/ so with this finale, makes sense why Konatsu and Kikuhiko's relationship was so harsh... yet nice they smile again thanks to Yotaro now telling he'll take care of her kid, I hope he didn't troll us in that preview or would be a cruel April Fools' joke today
tongue.gif

Again a nice ep and nice setup for another season... throwing out a new setup with the woman pregnant... reminds me of fishing, not that I do, but you pitch or cast out the lure on the hook and then prep to catch something like an audience or fish and reel it back in... .I like how they prepped for the next season that way without taking anything out of the series.... left whole, but always wanting more.
cool.gif

This is a good wrapup ep.... covering all the bases left unattended... so much so, that today I went back to watch the first long ep again to remember what was said, done etc.... all of this is a look back as the mc is telling his student and the girl/woman the story of him and Suke as they started together under his master... I assume to the end with the deaths over the balcony... nice construction, and well, 'adult'... or not just juvenile for a change.... and with an older audience, the ad revenue should be of a bigger quantity as well, so another season should be expected... if Mother Nature doesn't step in first, which is expected to happen 'soon'. So, oh well.... nice that they ended it... and when I rewatched that first ep, when the student returns from being left in the snow and the 'daughter' brings him back inside to talk to Kiku, our mc, the 'master' now... he starts with telling the to prepare for a long story/night or whatever.... so this could be the first she has really heard of what really happened, as before, they had a scene in which she asked her mom's former geisha 'master' or whatever... who really didn't seem to know any particulars... and perhaps no one, outside of our mc, really knows.

Then this ep 13 picks it up at the end seemingly a few years later... that story finished long ago... interesting. I like the storytelling here, especially as our mc isn't that likeable.... it was Suke that was, even till the end, but the writing keeps us riding along like a good rakugo performance.
huh.gif

Shōuwa Genroku Era, Rakugo and Double Suicide: Sukeroku anew arc, S2 at last
b0365026_58664d46a23d2.jpg

gdpetti said:
Again a nice ep and nice setup for another season... throwing out a new setup with the woman pregnant... reminds me of fishing, not that I do, but you pitch or cast out the lure on the hook and then prep to catch something like an audience or fish and reel it back in... .I like how they prepped for the next season that way without taking anything out of the series.... left whole, but always wanting more. b) This is a good wrapup ep.... covering all the bases left unattended... so much so, that today I went back to watch the first long ep again to remember what was said, done etc.... all of this is a look back as the mc is telling his student and the girl/woman the story of him and Suke as they started together under his master... I assume to the end with the deaths over the balcony... nice construction, and well, 'adult'... or not just juvenile for a change.... and with an older audience, the ad revenue should be of a bigger quantity as well, so another season should be expected... if Mother Nature doesn't step in first, which is expected to happen 'soon'.
apocalypse can wait ;p seeing that S2 started today, i guess it'll be 13 eps too :d

Well, that 'apocalypse' won't start until that 'dark star' crosses the ecliptic plane and discharges etc... so plenty of time for more anime... and this one is well written, yes it's adults, but there are kids and teen shows that are written well, but good writing is definitely a scarce resource in any field... I hope the writing stays on par.

gdpetti said:
this one is well written, yes it's adults, but there are kids and teen shows that are written well, but good writing is definitely a scarce resource in any field... I hope the writing stays on par.
It stays in ep.3 with the father of Konatsu's son, Yotaro found his own rakugo...
btw just found a co-op new year pic, no wonder why we thought FWA is alike ;)

gdpetti said:
The expanded synopsis seems to have all the required elements of male/female relationship with the additional 'master' element placed within cultural context, which can add some depth on many levels, even for non speakers if translated well, which is always key in such literary/poetic/storytelling formats.... limitations of females in society is there with the historical elements... lots of potential if used.
Actually at last Konatsu did Rakugo in ep.4 "Jugemu Jugemu Go-Kō-no-Surikire Kaijari-suigyo no Suigyō-matsu Unrai-matsu... Fūrai-matsu Kū-Neru Tokoro Ni Sumu Tokoro Yaburakōji no Burakōji Paipo" etc, but #5 hints Yakumo's death :(

Seems to be a few eps out now, perhaps I watch them... had to look up the Wikipedia page to remember those names. :unsure: If nothing else, it seems that the writer wants to continue to push the story along rather fast.... making you wonder what's the hurry (compared to most animes based in manga)? I have to guess that the manga is moving rather fast as well? It doesn't say 'ongoing'... so I wonder if the mangaka finished the story? We may see this kid grown up... The story must be taking place in the 80s, right? :unsure:

gdpetti said:
We may see this kid grown up... The story must be taking place in the 80s, right? :unsure:
I guess seeing in ep.7 a film of young Kikuhiko and Sukeroku, prior what really happened before dying with Miyokichi... oh did you notice his eyes in #5 OP?:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Wc-zQgAKw

Ah, no, didn't notice the eyes, so many animes use color symbols in the eyes that I can't remember them....

Just finished ep 7... Wow!... such good writing within the confines of the medium... it seems that this manga is ongoing still, so I might have to see where they are in comparison, as if we catch up too fast, the anime's next season will have to wait at least a year.... :(

The music/songs were better last season, but I fast forward through them anyway... though I didn't last season because I liked them... oh well, that might have to do with an aspect of preselling the package?
The storytellling is strong.... I have to assume it's coming straight out of the manga.... it's nice to see an adult based story, as the kid to teen stuff is so limited... and the adult story encompasses it all, from birth to death, so obviously the themes and stories have more depth... and the story is so well told... .jumping in time to the next important point in the life experiences... known esoterically as the 'markers' in our lives.... doing so is essentially an edit to just the 'highlights', like with a sports review show... only the key points.. and I really liked the addition to the first season finale of the death of his two friends/exlover over the balcony... as seen by his servant/assistant... that other point of view... which changes the whole thing is some ways, none at all in others essentially... and this aspect of the story is told in rakugo style it seems... perhaps the whole story is... I don't know rakugo... but it seems little is wasted in this storytelling... filler up to the essential points in the plot/life experiences... fast forward to the next setup.... next 'marker'... very interesting... even as most of the characters animation is rather basic... nothing flashy or unusual... just depth of character added layer upon layer as we sink into their lives and how they interact.

Beautiful. ^_^

gdpetti said:
I really liked the addition to the first season finale of the death of his two friends/exlover over the balcony... as seen by his servant/assistant... that other point of view... which changes the whole thing is some ways, none at all in others essentially... and this aspect of the story is told in rakugo style it seems... perhaps the whole story is... I don't know rakugo... but it seems little is wasted in this storytelling... filler up to the essential points in the plot/life experiences... fast forward to the next setup.... next 'marker'... very interesting... even as most of the characters animation is rather basic... nothing flashy or unusual... just depth of character added layer upon layer as we sink into their lives and how they interact.

Beautiful. ^_^
Yup it's my favorite S2 this Winter, what a cliffhanger as next 'marker' in ep.8... bad timing of cops while its MC did rakugo again, also i found this interesting :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFoS07NpS3k

Interesting analysis of the "contradiction", but most of that is rather obvious, no? Our MC is that crux of contradiction that any 'transition' is based in..... everyone 'catalyzes' each other... but on different levels at different times... our MC is the transitional element for this whole storyline, all the others' transitional experiences use him as a pivot point... so the contradiction is obviously intentional in the storytelling... It seems that this reviewer is just pointing out how well it was used/done... and he's right, it was/is well done and in a deeper manner... which doesn't have to be age based utilizing adult characters mostly if not exclusively, but normally in life that is the case... when younger, we rarely get the opportunity to evaluate/explore/analyze etc the data/content of our experiences... we just haven't the time if the experiences are daily 'shocks to the system'... I forget what that one psych study long ago about the levels of individual/and group functioning is based in chakra like roles... red ray/basal is the basic needs of food, shelter, water with sex coming last ... usually ;) before going to the next level... transitions.... even some anime like Naruto covered this at the lower levels.... very rare to see any attempt at higher level work... because our societies aren't operating at those levels, and the PTB like it that way... it's called Purgatory for that reason... a trap, maze, or matrix or school... as seen like an obstacle course in self-conscious awareness... one the 'snowflakes' seem to be totally unaware of...especially those doing it for free... intellectual idiots.... typical manner of exploiting people, getting them to do what you want the to do for free, with their own free will.

Which we see throughout this series... those traps of society etc are subjective and objective simultaneously... there are boundaries, but most of them are in our minds.... thus the obstacle course takes place mostly in our minds, which is all we take with us in the end... and the measure of what level one is functioning at... those contradictions are merely the friction of our lessons in this school.... very few ever pass in any one cycle... which would be like one day in school for us... it takes many days to finish the grade or obstacle course.... which seems to show up with the other MC we are left with... the new Mr. S... even more comical in appearance, whose 'depth' of character is more hidden, the apparent reverse of our older MC... I forget whether he died last ep I saw or not...?? If it's only going to be 13 eps, I'd like to wait till the last one is out before watching the rest of the season... I think most people feel this way, which is why they wait and download entire seasons of the series they like... and Hollywood is always a couple of decades behind the curve, same in DC etc.... same with our MC here.... wanting to take rakugo with him into the grave seems to perfectly reflect his character... and what little growth he's shown since youth.... but that is common for most people... thus that seem to speed fast are usually 'old souls'... picking up where they left off last time... I almost want to read the manga, but I prefer the suprise.... maybe afterwards. ^_^

gdpetti said:
those contradictions are merely the friction of our lessons in this school.... very few ever pass in any one cycle... which would be like one day in school for us... it takes many days to finish the grade or obstacle course.... which seems to show up with the other MC we are left with... the new Mr. S... even more comical in appearance, whose 'depth' of character is more hidden, the apparent reverse of our older MC... I forget whether he died last ep I saw or not...??
he isn't dead yet ep.9 keeps showing sukeroku's evil eyes', red herring again?... color pun intended ;p Btw, I found Imagine-nation's review but YT removed it :(

Yeah, he isn't dead yet. ^_^ though it seems like they want him left on the edge in every episode... the last one, ep10, has her asking for him to teach her... she better hurry up or he will be dead.... only 3 eps left in this season, right? :eek:

On the side that dude is really cut in the bathhouse... he must work out! I'm surprised he has time to actually do rakugo in between workout sessions. ;)
They really compose that kid to be extra cute... which is a real juxtaposition to our MC.... rather jarring, but a sunnier parallel to her when she was that age.
I wonder if I missed something earlier about the crime boss guy... was he a supporter of our MC at some point? she used him as the father... they really didn't explore that much... maybe they will later?

gdpetti said:
Yeah, he isn't dead yet. ^_^ though it seems like they want him left on the edge in every episode... the last one, ep10, has her asking for him to teach her... she better hurry up or he will be dead.... only 3 eps left in this season, right? :eek:
wouldn't be so sure seeing his afterlife trip in ep.11, i guess next is the finale... good thing NHK'World repeated its show, just In case before it's gone again <_<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bMS72Gn_sE

Thanks... watched it.. interesting tidbits in the video preview for 2.... meanwhile, in the latest ep!!! The styling is cool to watch... a traditional view... not sure if they were gonna make it a dream of our MC or not... after the last ep ended with her asking him to teach her... I thought they'd have been wake up or something like that.... saying he had to go back... but in this series, as the preview for next week's ep showed, they do another timeskip for the kids to become adults.. I think anyway... that was my impression.. and they've done this a few times, back and forth, so they're being consistent in its use... and it keeps the storytelling 'tight'... as I said before, they are sticking to only the highlights of the characters lives... not sure I've seen this done this well before.. if at all... occassionally something like it is done... but this is artistic as well... like the whole show is a rakugo performance.. I guess, not knowing it well enough to say.. makes me wonder how they are matching it up with the manga. I just checked... it seems the manga finished last summer... unless they continue it with a new title version? not sure... but if they timeskip to the present, it should end this season... that's my guess.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back