Shikabane Hime

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Barbobot

-the Pirate King
Retired

Title: Shikabane Hime (Corpse Princess)
Author: Yoshiichi Akahito
Animation: Feel, Gainax
Release: Fall 2008

Shikabane Hime is about a girl, Makina Hoshino, who hunts down shikabane (living corpses/undead). The twist being Makina is a corpse as well and needs to kill 108 shikabane in order to be sent to heaven.

Gainax's next project after the Gurren-Lagann tv series and movies. "Studio co-founder Hiroyuki Yamaga (The Wings of Honneamise, Otaku no Video, Abenobashi) and Gurren Lagann producer Yasuhiro Takeda will co-produce this adaptation of Yoshiichi Akahito's supernatural manga. Chikashi Kubota, an animation director on both The Girl Who Leapt through Time film and episode 14 and 24 of Gurren Lagann, is designing the characters including Makina." - (ANN)
Note: Published in the same magazine as Fullmetal Alchemist and Soul Eater.

Seems like another excuse to watch hot young women fight gory, badass fights, which luckily isn't necessarily a bad thing. I read the first chapter of the manga, which is the only chapter that has been scanlated (though it's pretty large coming to 80 pages), and it had some pretty good action and some gore. Kinda similar gore to Elfen Lied cause I did see some limbs be torn off. But that doesn't really matter cause the second I saw Gainax attached to it I had already planned on watching it since Gainax is one of my favorite animation companies.

Well this sounds pretty interesting. And after seeing Gurren Lagann i think Ill look forward to watching this anime in fall. =]

This one sounds intresting. We can always expect Gainax to dish out some pretty good stuff. I hope this one is going to be as good as Elfen Lied.

Sounds like Zombie-Loan all over again, which is a good thing.
biggrin.gif
I might start reading the manga soon to see what all this gore is about. LOL

Well, the manga artwork looks good, but then again I could fall into this trap like I did for Venus vs Virus - great artwork, no story >.< Hopefully it's the other way round. Though I didn't like Zombie Loan or Gurren Lagann either

Normally I stay away from zombies (I think it's a stupid horror concept to build a story around), but seeing as the anime is done by Gainax, I think I'm in for now. Also, the girl's name is Makina Hoshimura, not Hoshino; ANN got it wrong.

And rumor has it (by Moonphase, who tends to be almost always right) that they're going to split it up into two seasons with Gainax doing the first 12/13 episodes, and Feel doing the second 12/13 episodes ala Minami-ke.

QUOTE (Juhachi @ May 27 2008, 03:52 AM) And rumor has it (by Moonphase, who tends to be almost always right) that they're going to split it up into two seasons with Gainax doing the first 12/13 episodes, and Feel doing the second 12/13 episodes ala Minami-ke.
Well that would disappoint me greatly if it turns out to be true. I just hope that it won't have the same quality loss as the 2nd season of Minami-ke.

Greetings, all!

Thanks for the website link, jcd!

I just discovered this manga at Kinokinuya Bookstores here in LA a few months ago, and have become a rabid fan.

I've 'read' all seven volumes so far, and I'm really excited for this anime.

We've got something really very special with Shikabane Hime (it already seems like High School of the Dead is ripping it off), but I love the big reversal of this series.

Essentially, she's like a new superhero.

That Which Kills Her Makes Her Stronger.

MILD SPOILER ALERT --

With every 'death' she is dealt, her strength grows exponentially. And she's dealt a probably some of the most amazing pasting and pummeling I've seen in an anmie/manga character, so she grows stronger and stronger and STRONGER.

More on that later.....

I love the music and the look of the website, I was hoping it would remain dark, violent and spooky.

But make no mistake: this bitch is TOUGH.

Thanks for listening!
Voyager Out

Okay...then. This series will have 2 seasons, the first season to air is "mainly" done by GAINAX but they will work with feel as well, it will premier at October 2008 (or Winter 2008) and also the first season will be called Shikabane Hime Aka (or Shikabane Hime Red).

The second season will air at October 2009 (or Winter 2009), this time, however, feel will be in charge when collaborating with GAINAX and the 2nd season will be called Shikabane Hime Kuro (or Shikabane Hime Black).

If, Shikabane Hime Aka is more than 20 episodes, then a seperate thread will be made next year dedicated to the 2nd season.
rolleyes.gif

So, did anyone find out for sure if this series will begin in October? I hope so! Seems like there have been a few series recently that break the season into two smaller parts. I wonder what the signficance is of the colors red and black for the naming of the seasons.

This was one of the very few shows I actually decided to download the trailer for. Usually I never care enough to download a trailer for a show, but I had to for this. I've been more excited about this as the scanlating picked up a bit with chapters 2-4 coming out relatively quickly finishing off volume 1. The anime is definitely gonna be a great thing. The character designs are slightly different from the manga, but that's probably just how they were adapted for the anime. That's not to say they are bad cause that is far from the truth. The faces seem almost like a mix of the original manga designs and the character designs from Gunbuster 2. I only point this out cause I love the designs of the faces in the Shikabane Hime manga. It's still all me nitpicking every little detail though especially since that's the main thing I can get from the short clips of the trailer. There weren't any prolonged scenes of action, 2-3 seconds at most, so i can't really say much about that yet.

This looks set to be petty awesome although does anyone see a relatively same plotline as Blade of the Immortal accept this time it's a female.

2 seasons already announced, now i wonder what would happen if it miserably failed in the first.

Well either way Gore+Females=WIN. so its on my to watch list now. XD

While I agree that the premise for the series is similar to Blade of the Immortal, I think that the actual series will be very different. I think maybe it's because the main character is a female that it will be different, that and the setting.

I'm excited to see it come October. I'm really hoping for two full seasons instead of the two shorter ones!

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jul 16 2008, 12:30 PM) Okay...then. This series will have 2 seasons, the first season to air is "mainly" done by GAINAX but they will work with feel as well, it will premier at October 2008 (or Winter 2008) and also the first season will be called Shikabane Hime Aka (or Shikabane Hime Red).

The second season will air at October 2009 (or Winter 2009), this time, however, feel will be in charge when collaborating with GAINAX and the 2nd season will be called Shikabane Hime Kuro (or Shikabane Hime Black).

If, Shikabane Hime Aka is more than 20 episodes, then a seperate thread will be made next year dedicated to the 2nd season.
rolleyes.gif

2 seasons will go back to back. First season (Aka) is scheduled this October. 2nd season (Gen) is rumored for January 2009.

here it is, the first new anime that impressed me; this one is a keeper no matter who you are... the drawings during the fights will remind you of GL; although the anime itself bears no resemblence to it
wink.gif
so far i love the characters, as well as the music (no OP yet since its the first episode)... the anime seems to have a plot of its own, meaning different from the manga! which makes me quite happy considering i read it
laugh.gif
; nevertheless i doubt they will remove the more tragic scenes (as well as being the most important scenes) that the manga had, thus i better brace myself later in this series.... no bad puns involved here, its the undead, demons, and a whole lot of bullets (throw in a little slice of life comedy) and you may very well have the best anime for this fall

as always no spoilers here

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back