Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

JCDRANZER

- Sky King
Retired
KjS2BkW.jpg

Title: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Genre: Music, Romance, Drama, Comedy
Premier: October 2014
Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Kyohei Ishiguro
Original Creator: Naoshi Arakawa
Official Website:

Plot:
Piano prodigy Arima Kosei dominated the competition and all child musicians knew his name. But after his mother, who was also his instructor, passed away, he had a mental breakdown while performing at a recital that resulted in him no longer being able to hear the sound of his piano even though his hearing was perfectly fine. Even two years later, Kosei hasn’t touched the piano and views the world in monotone, and without any flair or color. He was content at living out his life with his good friends Tsubaki and Watari until, one day, a girl changed everything. Miyazono Kaori is a pretty, free spirited violinist whose playing style reflects her personality. Kaori helps Kosei return to the music world and show that it should be free and mold breaking unlike the structured and rigid style Kosei was used to.
(~from MAL~)

Looking forward to this pretty looking anime series which airs today. I have read good things about it so far. Good animation, nice character designs, and great music.

Piano and Violin! Sounds great already!

Preview 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk39zsayK_0

Preview 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpQo_gZbaCM

Some report it is a bittersweet story of kids coming into their own amidst the background of their growing love of music.

Looking forward to find out.

sleep.gif

Yeah, I don't know if I'm the only one, but this is Toradora + Music. Apart from that, I don't like how the mouths are animated, they look like mustaches! The characters so far also look a lot like Toradora in personality, difference? this time the future couple plays instruments and so far known, the main boy with the piano was actually, very, very wrongly directed towards playing the piano ..if you have seen the first episode, you know what I mean.

I know, that I should not regard this as, to be clean *awful*. Many people may see something different in this anime and even greatly enjoy it.
From my point of view however... I'm dropping it here and now after the first episode, to think it will have 22 episodes...

QUOTE (Masich @ Oct 09 2014, 04:34 PM)
sleep.gif

Yeah, I don't know if I'm the only one, but this is Toradora + Music. Apart from that, I don't like how the mouths are animated, they look like mustaches! The characters so far also look a lot like Toradora in personality, difference? this time the future couple plays instruments and so far known, the main boy with the piano was actually, very, very wrongly directed towards playing the piano ..if you have seen the first episode, you know what I mean.

I know, that I should not regard this as, to be clean *awful*. Many people may see something different in this anime and even greatly enjoy it.
From my point of view however... I'm dropping it here and now after the first episode, to think it will have 22 episodes...
And I had an opposite reaction more or less, thinking it was one of the better opening episodes. It doesn't do anything special that shows it might deviate from traditional Rom-Com storytelling, but I felt it was executed just fine and had a good time with it. I'm also a big fan of the character designs here so I had no problems with the animation of the mouths.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Oct 09 2014, 05:54 PM) And I had an opposite reaction more or less, thinking it was one of the better opening episodes. 
I felt it was executed just fine and had a good time with it. 
I'm also a big fan of the character designs here so I had no problems with the animation of the mouths.
How nice you liked it too, Barbo-san.
wink.gif
I just watched it myself and really enjoyed the first episode. The "friend next door" is annoying but I'll cut her some slack if she can convince our reluctant hero to take up the piano again.

Interesting fact he was young in years when he was learning/playing the piano and on a Steinway no less. What is sad though is having to find out his mother, when alive, "beat him into playing." Like Masich says, "very wrongly directed towards playing the piano." Sad...

The Bremen Town Musicians were great! I loved the animation of that particular scene. A wide, blue, open sky with a wonderful sense of breeze and cherry blossoms and freedom and wonder ... all set to music!

Ah...youth, love. coming of age romance, longing, all set to music!

gonna enjoy this one...maybe
wink.gif

Both episodes 1 and 2 have left me with a wonderful feeling. I'm going to read the manga for this, I heard that this series will be great way before it began airing from manga-readers but I never expected it to be this stunning from animation, music to seiyuu choices, everything about this anime feels that it's spot-on.

Only a day or 2 before we get our next dose and in the meantime I shall sample the goods of this Fall. The manga for this is currently being scanlated at a frightening pace and I think it will catch up to the latest chapter in a couple of weeks.....or so I thought but it seems a few trolls on the EGS site have seemingly pissed them off and it will be truly awful if EGS decides to "strike" at this point in time.

Episode 03 was awesome, makes you wonder if Kao actually wanted to meet Watari to get close to Kousei but that theory doesn't make much sense since Kao was already a friend of Tsubaki.

Anyways, our boy is finally setting out to play again, I wonder what reactions his return to the stage generate??
rolleyes.gif

smile.gif
I think i am going to have to chose between which series is better: parasyte or this one. This series feels great to watch
smile.gif
. Hopefully we get a big highlight somewhere down the series in which we see Kaoru and Kosei shine as bright as ever.

This story hasn't ended yet... shall I close it for you?

I've been asked on a couple of sites to review this... *Tragedy* of a series which ended last month... Granted I have nothing else to do, seeing as the list of this season is so Tiny!!

My first impressions of this show, was a bit off, but that is not what the main critics point is, which many apparently want me to address...
The *fault* of this series is simply being a trap! (No, not in that way!) Many people had the idea apparently that it would be a good comedy/drama/Shounen/music kind of show...
Why have I suddenly noticed a ton of sites, adding the *Tragedy* genre during its last few episodes?
Well... I ain't going to spoil anything else.
Personally I'm here to pick on the *Fans* of this show, which seem to have rated it high... Yeah... Here comes the fun part!
I do not know how many people will read this...
But each single Bad comment I have made about this show and its Fail storyline, was Deleted/Removed from a number of forum sites (This message is copied btw)
I don't care if you think of me as a ranting madman... everyone has their opinions and this is mine.

The show... I give a bloody 3/10... I have had to endure (Out of own free will) about 12 hours of this and seriously kept close attention to everything! even the ending! and made short reviews in between of each episode written down, so I wouldn't lose track.
But... Why! Why! do so many people just have to keep pushing and holding it up as a good show?!
Every single time I try to post a message about this show (only) (Till this day 21th April 2015) It gets removed without a word... I have no idea how many actually enjoyed this show, but aside from the *fans* why is there not a single other person making a normal comment about it? without trying to sell it off in an overly - dramatic tone?
I can understand this show having touched a few peoples hearts with personal feelings or events which may look similiar... To which my honest sympathy.

Just finished this series... liked it... reminds me of that Hibike Euphonium! series at times, as well as many others... but as others say, the look of the characters is usually the same from the same studios, add in the same characters across the anime industry and I can never tell them apart... mostly....our MC wears glasses, so that's different! ;) IMO, this is of course rather standard fare for its storyline/set of characters... all well written for its intended age group... but of course, the setup of the girl next door, the great friends saving the MC, etc... total fantasy stuff that is rather common to the genre, so :rolleyes: .. but they mostly used the characters well and pushed the right emotional buttons as expected... the mother as a meany was an interesting touch, which they softened near the end when we understand, in her conversation with her friend, why she was pushing him so hard... before she...!

That scene and others could have been tweeked a bit for better flow and exposition etc... but hey, this is the anime industry, perfection isn't often found in the production budget! <_< At least that seems to be the most common excuse, though there are those that standout, usually from previous works... manga, LNs, RPGs etc... the closing musical performance seemed as if it was using the entire score for that piece... maybe it did, but it was too long.. somethingthat needed an edit and used much like they did in the Nodame series... just the highlights of a piece of music were used to push the story, not to display the performance itself... but that was only really done that last time... I think the others before it in the competition were shortened.. .I've seen this issue before... not a new problem... as the scene gets too artistic... Gene Kelly in those he starred/directed etc in .. the main dance scenes were simply too long... good, but too long, too much symbolism in the styles used for bg and in the dance styles etc.... oh well.

But the story was well told.... at the end, the note of explanation is given which I think proves my point about the initial setup... our MC having those friends isn't very likely.... since childhood we are led to believe, definitely the girl next door, but the other sport star boy as well.... seen that guy from Shugo Chara... but the same character looks show up all the time, which is again, why I can't remember most of them... they are all the same, with the same sounding VAs.... to me anyway, which is why a different one really stands out... like the MC in glasses... he looked rather normal compared to all the overly beatiful kids around him... well, most of them... the two main opponents from the competition were ok characters, the typical good looking thing... though the way they got better in competition against him was a nice and real touch.

After seeing Cross Game a few times, it really got my attention the first time the trio heard/saw her in the hospital... definite foreshadowing there... I just didn't see the trio together... maybe the girl next door and our MC, but not the jock... as they just wouldn't be coming and going from school and their activites at the same time etc... which is why grade school friends fade away, same after switches in schools, or after graduation from HS, college, a job at any level etc.... but outside of the usual tropes, the story was pretty good IMO.... if you like this genre of course.... in my mind, either the writing is good or it isn't... and most are working with these tropes/cliches etc as a basis or platform that hopefully springboards into something original.. but that is really rather rare in any 'art' form, as all of life is based in them, which is why we can connect to them in the first place.

Overall the pluses outweighed the negatives, which were mostly of a marketing to norm or audience type anyway.... targeted audience being mostly jr high to high school, right? for most all anime in general? the 'adult' stuff usually really sticks out because of this... aka Rakugo.... which has its own tropes to deal with, less so it seems due to the rather untapped storyline... but they all come down to how efficiently the essentially exploit the emotions of the viewer... be it anime, song, dance, sports, politics, religion... all a matter of marketing the product... and I thought this one did a good job within its chosen limitations. :)

PS... there actually were a few adults.... his mom's friend being the main one... the other coaches were used ok as well.... which does add a touch of reality to the fantasy elements... gives it more depth, as all the lines don't have to come from the mouths of 'babes'... so to say.

Funny PPS... on Youtube... the often used Hitler scene about this show's ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_W6gDbXJA

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back