Self Worth and the perception of others

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (warita200 @ Sep 25 2006, 01:50 PM) I think a nice way to improve self esteem is to find a hobby, or simply something that interests you and be good at it, just for your own sake. Then you can look back and say: Yes, I have managed this. It was a hard piece of work, but look at me, I did well.
That leaves a nice warming feeling in your heart and helps the self esteem a lot.
smile.gif

hey i can't agree with you more. i've had a hard couple of years. i've moved around several times in the past few years, new schools, new friends, it's hard to find the right people and find a happy medium where you find yourself comfortable.

it took me a while to become comfortable with myself, before i was quite low on self esteem, though now, it's not quite as bad. before i used to look at the type of friends i hung out with, the type of clothes i used to wear and all of that stuff. but now i've realized none of this matters, i wear what ever i want, and i talk to who ever i want to. i realized that if i care too much of what others think about me and try to please them intead of me, then i am never going to be happy, and i will just sink deeper into a ditch of self pity.

ironically, by not following the crowd and being myself people comment on my funky clothing style. ha...people make fun of me for watching anime and being an anime freak (because im not asian, but indian...which is quite rare for someone like me to be addicted to something like this)...but hey, i can't deny what i like.

sometimes i watch anime to forget all the troubles that im going through, ha..it's kinda sad, but it's true, my mind wanders and when i watch anime i feel like i can escape from the world for those 25mins!

I truly think everyone has some sort of self confidence in themselves. However, we are all self-conscience about something. Whether it be weight or looks, one way or antoher, we have some sort of insecurity. I see a bunch of movies where these kids want ot be "popular" and I'm truly thankful for my High School when I see this. There are no popular people and I know I don't feel the need to be "popular". Sure I'm a confident person, academically and socially. But, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm cool. I'm the type of person who is blunt and honest and very straight forward. A lot of people seem to not like this and a lot like it. All in all, it all matters on the person. Too much self confidence is a bad thing. Too little self confidence is also a bad thing. It's just coming to terms with who you are and accepting it. You only have one look, one face, one body. You can either work with it or wallow in misery. I think the choice is obvious. Be who you are as cheezy as it sounds. People learn to appreciate that more.

edit:

Also, I think the first thing we do as humans is judge a book by its cover. So the first thing a person is judged by is their looks, clothes, weight, etc... However, making the attempt to get to knowt he person can change that. A bunch of very good looking people can appear rather ugly after getting to know them. And a not so very attractive person can seem very attractive after getting to know them.

QUOTE (xxanime_junkyxx @ Sep 25 2006, 04:37 PM) hey i can't agree with you more. i've had a hard couple of years. i've moved around several times in the past few years, new schools, new friends, it's hard to find the right people and find a happy medium where you find yourself comfortable.

it took me a while to become comfortable with myself, before i was quite low on self esteem, though now, it's not quite as bad. before i used to look at the type of friends i hung out with, the type of clothes i used to wear and all of that stuff. but now i've realized none of this matters, i wear what ever i want, and i talk to who ever i want to. i realized that if i care too much of what others think about me and try to please them intead of me, then i am never going to be happy, and i will just sink deeper into a ditch of self pity.

ironically, by not following the crowd and being myself people comment on my funky clothing style. ha...people make fun of me for watching anime and being an anime freak (because im not asian, but indian...which is quite rare for someone like me to be addicted to something like this)...but hey, i can't deny what i like.

sometimes i watch anime to forget all the troubles that im going through, ha..it's kinda sad, but it's true, my mind wanders and when i watch anime i feel like i can escape from the world for those 25mins!
who says indian peoples aren't allowed to be anime fans...

o_O

there's always a bit of a funk people fall into. it's ok though, and i guess it irritates me personally when i see people who just pretend that bad things never happen.

denial to me seems lik it only makes things worse.

QUOTE (postindustrialist @ Sep 25 2006, 08:11 PM) who says indian peoples aren't allowed to be anime fans...

o_O

ha ha, believe me man, in my school it's just weird! i don't think there is an indian person in at least a 20km radius who likes anime, maybe even more! *sigh*....so i can only talk to my asian friends about anime, ha..i know that is SUCH a stereotype, but sadly in my case it's true!
dry.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back