Sakamichi no Apollon

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
From the reaction Yurika had when Karou said that Jun was probably spending his time with someone I guess it was her, but the way she was on the "date" with Sentaro goes exaclty the other way. Or maybe she had the reaction because she knows who he really was with. Thinking back to taht scene that makes more sense. Maybe she already confessed and was turned down by Jun who has someone else.

Im totally against that new guy who just appeared out of nowhere and started gaying Sentaro. He adds more trouble even though the characters have already enough problems on their own. And whats with Kaorus "beeing separated from him scares the hell out of me"? Bromance coming back?
And since when are the Beatles rock? I cant even fathom how someone can say that an insult to music like them could be rock -.-

Killer Ossi, The Beatles are a ROCK band from the 60's.
wink.gif

Episode 06 covers Chapter 17 to 20, finishing off Volume 4's material right till the last panel. As you can see this episode moved VERY VERY FAST through the manga material and missed out 2 very important events from the manga that I don't think will now be animated in the anime such as like before Kaoru sees Yurika and Sen on a date, he actually meets and pretty much "grabs" Ri-chan to show her about the Encore screening of the movie she missed happening tomorrow, Kaoru then notices Sen on his date and then literally grabs Ri-chan's arms and walks her away from the scene, so that her heart doesn't break even further. The other "missed" scene, was a very important one in my eyes, when Kaoru is at the basement and Seiji comes by talking about ROCK and Kaoru shouts at him that Sen only likes Jazz, which leads Sen to overhear and proclaim that "Kaoru is the only one that knows him" and tells Seiji that he isn't welcomed in the Jazz basement. I know they missed those scenes so as to get through the novels quicker but those scenes were ones I thought were very important.

I believe the next episode will cover most of Volume 5, but this series needs to be a little longer than 11 episodes....maybe 13 at least so as to cover most main plots. It kinda sucks that they're rushing it and I'm pretty sure you guys and viewers of this series felt that episode 06 seemed incredibly rushed.

Seiji in the manga doesn't have that annoying "cat nyan tooth"........I hate it especially when a guy has it...........I REALLY don't understand why it's in the anime in the first place.
blink.gif

The Beatles is most definitely a rock band but its legacy is ineluctably tied to pop music. When I think of the Beatles, I first and foremost consider them the first modern pop band and their rock credentials is a mere afterthought. Rock music continued to evolve incorporating more hardcore elements while pop bands and songs have largely stayed the same adhering to the Beatles AABA song format with slight variations here and there.

This episode reminded me of the various youtube comment on the pv referring to ones gaydar breaking.

The problem I have with this show is I enjoy the subtext rather than the main plot thread which is in no doubt a silly romance easily exemplified by the lack of character motivation.

I bet most people will not even realise the cultural significance of Sentaro taking up the rockband offer but w/e.

The main intention of this series is to be an adaption and it is doing an adequate job at that but it is not exactly inspired.

An episode of two halves. I have zero idea about what was going on in the first half of the episode.

Infact, I was ready to write of this episode and series as it descends into just narrative cheapness.

However, the rendition of 'a few of my favourite things' changed everything. Slice of life animes have to capture that one perfect moment to justify its existence, imo. The live session at the end did that for me. It gave a sweetness to the main characters relationship and also dealt with the subtext of the british invasion.

All of this does not change how i feel about this series overall but it gives it a more memorable quality which I appreciate.

Yes this was a strange ep. They jumped from the case with Jun to the festival as if they forgot an ep or two inbetween which makes me feel a bit lost to whats going on now.
That and that it still feels like at some point it will go full-bromance with Sentaro and Kaoru saying "aww screw the women, noting but pain lets just be us two". Sure I know it wont happen but the atmosphere and the feeling this show gives of indicates this.

At least Sentaro is now in the picture about Yurika and she knows that shes not been taken serious by Jun. Lets see what changes are made by this.

Maybe for some The Beatles are rock, but not for me. They are straight pop in my eyes. No hard drums, no guitar-riffs and just some happy-go-lucky-in-a-flower-bed-singing instead of rocking.

Definitely my favourite arc in the manga thus far and definitely the best episode of the series imo because I just loved it when they patched things together and the way they did it was in such an epic fashion.
biggrin.gif
Episode 07 finished at Volume 5 Chapter 23, they cut out possibly one noteable page which was the girls were describing Sentaro's rock band as looking like "Princes" when they entered the school grounds for the festival. I just found out that Volume 6 got released a week ago...had no idea. I have an exam tomorrow but I think I'm going to read it now.
tongue.gif

!SPOILER TIME!

I thought the scene where Ri'ko comments on the fact that Kaoru has gotten taller than her since that time when Sentaro grabbed both their necks with his arms, I think this the scene when Sentaro asks them to join in the clam collecting-beach trip and at that time they were both the same height. Realising this, Ri'ko seems to be hinting that she has a growing attraction towards Kaoru.
rolleyes.gif

The whole Yurika-Jun debacle will have some questions answered by the next episode, such as the reason why Jun is like that will most definitely be explained.

Awesome series, I absolutely love it but I must agree that this series is "fast-paced" and it may seem to most that its "all over the place".
rolleyes.gif

EDIT #1:

I just finished reading Volume 6 of the manga....MAGNIFICENT.... I understand Jun and Yurika more....I'm not angry with either character anymore. I cannot believe the manga stepped it up so well from going to Volume 5 to 6, 2 of my favourite volumes of the manga. DAMN....I can't wait to read Volume 7 when its released, which I hope doesn't take too long for the scanlators.

I think the anime would use at least 2 episodes to use the rest of the material in Volume 5 and all of Volume 6...so by Episode 9 but then that will mean that there would be 3 Volumes for 2 episodes if the anime is only going to be 11 episodes, I think the source is wrong, I expect there to be at least 12 to 13 episodes, 11 eps is not enough imo.
wink.gif

Finally we know what happened to Jun and what happened between him and Yurika. Im surprised he had interest in her since I was pretty sure he didnt take her serious.
So why is it in animes always that the women cut her hair when they want to change something? In about 99% of all cases they totally ruin their beauty with that -.-
If I were Yurika I totally wouldve slapped her mother. Making a appointment with a gynecologist as if shes some slut sleeping around everyones bed.

Finally it made klick in Sentaros head thanks to Kaoru. Too bad for him though that the train already left already for another destination. It feels like its the beginning of the show again since the love-merry-go-round mixed everything together quite a bit again.

Stylistically, the first half was brilliant. It filled in alot of the gaps without filling in any gaps. And I mean that in terms of depths. The black and white montage over a vivid jazz breakdown was great. And I feel the fact that it was done over a communist youth rally enhanced the thematics links.

I was a little dismayed when Jun embraced Yukari. It is hard for me to connect with the various love threads because I dont really know why anybody likes anybody beyond an infatuated basis. Ri's sudden feelings towards Nishimi seems to affirm this. I never take teenage love seriously because it as fickle/melodramatic as one can get.

However, I did feel bad for Sentaro because he is about to get hit by a double whammey.

If anything this episode makes me want to visit the source material. The two elements I really care about from this show is the romanticism and character depth. While I see flashes of it, the constraints of an 11 episode run shows. I get the sense the source material would be a bit more well fleshed out in all aspects.

QUOTE Maybe for some The Beatles are rock, but not for me. They are straight pop in my eyes. No hard drums, no guitar-riffs and just some happy-go-lucky-in-a-flower-bed-singing instead of rocking.

The Beatles defined the sound of the classic rock. And in general from your description of rock, I think you might be confusing "rock" with "hard rock" and/or "metal".

---------------

On the series, I've been delaying it recently, but I just had a thought - the show woulda been a whole lot better if they invited some fairly famous and cool band to record the soundtrack. Someone like SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS would be awesome.

(For those unfamiliar, they're a Japanese jazz band who did the OP to Mitchiko & Hatchin and are pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQMgXPFzdg8)

QUOTE (franzoir @ May 31 2012, 09:45 PM) I was a little dismayed when Jun embraced Yukari. It is hard for me to connect with the various love threads because I dont really know why anybody likes anybody beyond an infatuated basis. Ri's sudden feelings towards Nishimi seems to affirm this. I never take teenage love seriously because it as fickle/melodramatic as one can get.

Hmm I think Ri came to the conclusion that Sentaro will never see her as anything more than a childhood friend and thus she was able to move on (though I'm not sure she has completely). I'm not surprised she's beginning to have feelings for Kaoru since they've spent a lot more time together since his confession and so she knows him better. He's also matured some since their first meeting as we saw in this past episode he wasn't panicking when he was surrounded by a group of ppl like he would have in the past. This calm, cool and collected Kaoru is much more attractive ;P

I wonder how things will pan out now since Sentaro FINALLY realized Ri's feelings for him (impeccable timing, of course this happens as Ri begins to develop feelings for Kaoru) and the hint was given by Kaoru.... this is too good
biggrin.gif

As for Jun and Yukari, I was surprised that they had only kissed before because of the way she reacted after first seeing him in the basement. I assumed more had happened between them .... I don't understand their relationship because they both act as if they have such a deep understanding of the other, yet they hardly know one another.
blink.gif

QUOTE (julezia @ Jun 03 2012, 10:35 PM) As for Jun and Yukari, I was surprised that they had only kissed before because of the way she reacted after first seeing him in the basement. I assumed more had happened between them .... I don't understand their relationship because they both act as if they have such a deep understanding of the other, yet they hardly know one another.
blink.gif

Wow seems were thinking completely different here since I was sure nothing happened between them from the way she reacted back then and Jun talked about her.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Jun 03 2012, 10:11 PM) Wow seems were thinking completely different here since I was sure nothing happened between them from the way she reacted back then and Jun talked about her.
What threw me off was her crying and running away as soon as she saw him... that's what led me to believe they had shared more than just a kiss. Then again, that all could have been from the shock of seeing his disheveled appearance ;P I know it's also because she felt guilty about hurting Sentaro's feelings, but I really did think they had more going on... oh wait they do, they have a deep emotional connection
tongue.gif

I saw it like that:
She confessed to him and he said "sorry little lady but your not my age" or something along the line. But of course she doesnt give up and because Jun saw Sentaro almost kissing her (with her not going against it) she was crushed, because now her chances are really zero.

Well, the confused love affairs are settled at long last...so any speculations were just that, speculations.
tongue.gif
Jun-Bro realizes in just moments, he is throwing happiness away while at the train station, then grabs Yukari-chan before her parents do, and away they go...eloped, Nippon style. I am glad too since he was acting tough while she was in love...good for her to step up to the plate and hope against hope and he caved...I wish them all the best.
Now, I am glad Sen-kun understood that love does not always play the way we want and moved on...glad too, he played cupid for the confused wanna-be lovers...Ri-chan and Kaoru-kun. I liked how despite it all and with so many misunderstandings, miscommunications...her uncertainties and mixed feelings...blah...blah...blah...they were able to still hang on, cut through all the fog and finally, fall in love with each other. Sure, they have a way to go but all the obstacles are gone...now, just bring her flowers, stop fretting over every little detail of "does he/she or doesn't he/she" and play romantic jazz pieces for her on the piano...that's how you will really win and solidify your relationship, Kaoru-kun.
wink.gif

I am rooting for them and look forward to the final episodes as they are rolling up and fast...poor Sen-kun, I am wondering what he plans to do now that Papa is coming home? We see him setting Sarah Vaughn free, his bags are packed as he is telling Kaoru-kun to take care of Ri-chan. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Sure miss my old friend Witty-san here no longer posting his thoughts.

Yes is was good too finally see two people getting of the love rollercoaster to only leave three people on it, but that is pretty much settled too.
After ep nine I said "So Ritsuko finally made a move, but its not to late Sentaro you can still get Kaoru, fight!", but after ep 10 its obvious he lost, or did he? Maybe bromance will still win here.

I dont have a good feeling about all this father stuff since for me it has no room in this show. The show is already cramped and rushed enough we dont need Sentaro running away just to be brought back by Kaoru.

I dont have a good feeling about all this father stuff since for me it has no room in this show. The show is already cramped and rushed enough we dont need Sentaro running away just to be brought back by Kaoru.

I think you pretty much summed up the most likely contents of the last few eps.

I've finally marathoned the eps I've been putting off, and it seems a bit silly how similar the character development is between this series and Tsuritama (the latter being more fun to watch though).

I'm also wondering if anime in general will ever graduate from inane "anti-social boring guy gets the girl" subplots. Otaku want hugs, we get it, now can we please move on.

QUOTE (julezia @ Jun 03 2012, 03:35 PM)Hmm I think Ri came to the conclusion that Sentaro will never see her as anything more than a childhood friend and thus she was able to move on (though I'm not sure she has completely). I'm not surprised she's beginning to have feelings for Kaoru since they've spent a lot more time together since his confession and so she knows him better. He's also matured some since their first meeting as we saw in this past episode he wasn't panicking when he was surrounded by a group of ppl like he would have in the past. This calm, cool and collected Kaoru is much more attractive ;P
I dont know but for me I need a little more detail. This is where live action has the advantage over animation as actors can portray chemistry/electricity with a look and instantly the audience understands what both parties means to each other.

Unless animators (budget permit) use mocap, it needs to be far better executed in how they portray and convey love to the audience. On what level do Kaoru and Ri connect? I need to know in order to care. I know Sentaro liked Yukari (is that her name?) because he found her attractive but beyond that? I know Yukari loves Jun because he is talented/older? (I dont know).

The aforementioned reasons are all pretty shallow if you ask me, and not reasons for the audience to care or buy that it is love incarnate.

It is funny because I watch those films where the guys pines after the girl next door and then through some miracle he gets her and the films ends. But I always imagine that after the film, the guy talks to the GND and discovers she is an utter bore. Yes, they will probably have sex but after the guy has pretty much sated his lust the initial attraction is lost and it is all downhill from there.

Well hey, it's a Japanese slice-of-life school-themed romance anime, not Pride and Prejudice. I think you're expecting too much from this. In fact, I don't think anime ever really reaches much depth regarding romance anyway, it's just sitting too deep in its own cliches. Granted, I'm not much of a romance fan, so I might've missed some title.

QUOTE The aforementioned reasons are all pretty shallow if you ask me, and not reasons for the audience to care or buy that it is love incarnate.

The show's biggest problem is it's stretched a bit too thin, trying to be both a school-romance show and a music-themed show. Neither topic is covered in satisfactory depth, so it's not just the romance part. The better way to go would be to combine the two sub-themes (i.e. portray relationships through music as well as music in relationships, which is how series like Nodame Cantabile got to be so excellent), but the few attempts to do that were quite feeble.
dry.gif

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Jun 20 2012, 11:50 AM) Well hey, it's a Japanese slice-of-life school-themed romance anime, not Pride and Prejudice. I think you're expecting too much from this. In fact, I don't think anime ever really reaches much depth regarding romance anyway, it's just sitting too deep in its own cliches. Granted, I'm not much of a romance fan, so I might've missed some title.
Well that is my point. If they cant do it they shouldnt do it. These days just hitting the same ol beats won't cut it for me. Any attempts, look drab, puritanical, old-fashioned and inherently pure cringe to watch. Also, it does not really matter what genre it is. Any show, whether it be action/slice of life w/e I expect the themes conveyed to be presented with atleast some nuance and slick execution. That is the only way to escape the lull in originality.

As for the subtext. Yes, it is nothing more than window dressing and I wish it was explored a bit more but when they spotlight the jazz and cultural movements going on, it has been very engaging for me and has allowed me to keep to a long term interest in the show. So I disagree, that that element of show lacks depth since from the get-go it was relegated to the B-plot.

I'm not entirely sure it was supposed to be a B-plot. After all, the setup is that our antisocial hero finds friendship through music, so one would expect it to be a central theme. Sure, it doesn't completely lack depth, but it's a lot less than it could be. Along with the rest of the cultural backdrops, it simply provides mild flavor but doesn't contribute much to the story. In fact, you could easily swap out those elements with something else without losing much.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back