(router)Delay Effect from Lighting storm?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primula

-プリムラ こいびと
Retired
Well some of yall already know or help me when my computer motherboard got zap with lighting along with my Fatality sound card and i end up buying a new motherboard again...and other thing is not fully functionable such as my router.
My internet was working with my router this morning after i got home from college i notice my internet wasnt working so i ran some test and manage to make it work with my modem alone as for the router ...well im still trying to figure out atm. Usually 2-3 light is on if the internet is not running but now the pwr is the only one on even when all the wire is plug in I reset the router countless time and unplug it from the router side and surgeprotector side and change outlet. So now I thinking it may be a delay effect from the lighting storm i had in the past that hit my motherboard since the router was still working but the first port was fried so I think the effect was gradually growing until today it made it not functioning.

I will still test some more to see if I can fix it or it the delay effect to it and I just want to see if yall know what it may be before i got out to get a new router.

I'm no expert but it would be helpful if we know what the model and make for your router is. From time to time the router plays games on me. Often if I leave router for a few hours the internet comes back. So it could be problems with your service provider. Other times I get people fiddling with the connections!
ohmy.gif
So check all the cables are connected to the right places. Also check they are firmly in and are not loose.

It will also help if you can describe which lights are on and which ones are off.

SMC
Barricade g
54mbs wireless cable/dsl
smc2804WBRP-G

...ummm yea this router is kinda obsolete now but yea
there no problem with my service provider since im posting right now from my modem not the router. Also the only one that can fiddle with my connetion is me (since I put the password on it) or the service provider so if im on now through my modem then it not my service provider and well i know how to fix my internet connection when my torrent program make it lose connection sometime.
Also all the connection on correctly but the only light on now is the pwr light. The WAN[SPD, Link/ACT] WLAN and my cable wire that is connected to one of the port is off.

Well I actually had a similar problem with my router a couple months back. It was after a pretty heavy storm hit and I noticed my netgear's lights stopped flashing. So of course I called a tech and he sent out some hits and that didn't solve the problem. So eventually they came to the conclusion that the signal needed a boost so they sent out a technician and that fixed the modem but the router still wouldn't work properly.

The guy told me I was probably going to have to invest in a new router (I had just purchased it 6 months ago?!). Luckily right before I did I found the actual installation disk for the router. All I had to do was re-install it using the disk and everything started working properly. The only difference I see with you is that you say not all the lights are coming on except the power light? So is it possible that your signal needs a boost? Do you have the original installation disk for your router? If so then try re-installing it.

Well right now it not on even though it plug in and all I had it unplug for a while to test that out before I unplug it the pwr light was blinking. So now would there be a point in installing it again although it no longer install on this comp since i reformat countless time when i first got it working which was 2+ years ago

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Jul 01 2008, 09:42 PM) Well right now it not on even though it plug in and all I had it unplug for a while to test that out before I unplug it the pwr light was blinking. So now would there be a point in installing it again although it no longer install on this comp since i reformat countless time when i first got it working which was 2+ years ago
Well if it won't even install on your computer then it would be pointless to re-install the router. Though that it is a bit confusing, well it worked for me since I still had the original router installation disk. I'm not totally for sure what your set-up looks like but just understanding what your saying it seems that the modem power light is on, No problem? Though the other lights like maybe your cable, (mine has up stream and down stream lights & wireless lights). I'm assuming the other lights aren't coming on? Sometimes I had that problem when they would only come on for half the day or so.

The tech over the phone tried countless things but it never permanently fixed the problem. So they sent a tech out to my home. He said sometimes (it can be due to storms or other reasons) your signal becomes weak. In that situation you need to have a booster installed to strengthen it. So he went up into the attic and installed one and the lights on the modem don't go out anymore. Which is necessary for the router to work properly. Well that is about the extent of any suggestions I can offer.

Good luck.

I didnt say it wont install i said it not even install on my hd anymore since I reformat my computer so many time when i reconect my router to the comp it just work as usual...before...although even if i do reinstall it i dont see it will do any good if the light not even on anymore like at least 2 light would be on...(the pwr light is blinking again...) plus boosting the signal wouldnt do much since it a direct line from the modem to the router and the modem getting signal perfectly fine...altough i had to force it to re-establish the connection when i was switching back to the modem.

Modem no problem
router All light is off all plug is connected correctly

That problem you speaking of happen to me occasionally but from my experience I can usually fix that withing sec or mins =P that unless i not getting cable single from the tv itself then that just tell me cox having problem which is not the case =)

Plus nothing would permently fix the problem because of that verse "wear and tear". Also im receiving excellent signal from the modem itself so booster would be umm be saying let make me even faster ...ok... so it have to be the router itself. Lighting storm may have took a couple year of the router life haha...

My sister said there was another router somewhere ...somewhere err... so i yet to test that out.

btw im not trying to deny all your suggestion it just how i seen my setup work it doesnt match up.

Ok, Kansatsusha-sama, first off I'll need you to do me a favor and take a look at your SMC Cable/DSL Wireless router. If you take a look at the bottom of your router there should be a sticker that says "Part No."

I need to know if it's either a "751.0122" or "751.7878". My reason for this is so I can pick up the proper manual off of the SMC site, so I can read up on the router and better troubleshoot the problem.

To start off though, if the router has a reset hole on the back, while the router is plugged into an outlet, and an ethernet (cat 5e) cable is connected between your computer and the router, press and hold the reset hole on the router for 10-30 seconds. When you release the reset button, it will reset the router to factory defaults.

Once I know exactly which manual I need, I'll continue to troubleshoot.

If you want to take a look at the routers information page, here's the SMC company's link.

Edit: Also, after reading a bit more about your problem, it may be that either the AC adapter or the router itself may have been fizzled by the lightning strike.
unsure.gif

and reseting it does no good especially when the power light not even on atm...

I know it could be that but it wanted to just take it sweet time dieing lol...

Hmmm, if there is no power, and you're sure it's plugged into the wall, and the power switch is on, then perhaps the AC adapter has been knocked-out with the lightning strike.
ohmy.gif

To test whether or not the router itself still works, you can always see if you have an equivalent AC adapter with the same rating and polarity, so you can plug it into the wall again with a known working ac adapter. Information about the routers' power requirements may be in here: Router's Manual.

If worse comes to worse, you can always pickup a cheap Linksys WRT54GL and flash it with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware to get all the customization you could ever want.

Here are some links if you're interested: Linksys WRT54GL and on sale, Trendnet TEW-432B - For $15.00 + S&H after rebate.

Currently, I have the D-link DIR-655, which is an excellent router, if you're willing to spend about double of what the WRT54GL costs.
tongue.gif

Humm after debating on it for awhile and asking other what their preference and recommendation I finally bought the Linksys router that have the award winning ...w/e 13 time on newegg. Since i had a few that said D-Link and alot that said Linksys lol...

I was about to ask what was the ip to access the router but I just found it i think...lol

Now Im asking about the firmware I never touch those things for router before so Im asking which is a good firmware for the WRT54GL Linksys router. And how to use it unless it similar to other default firmware where as for my SMC one was simple configurations. (still researching)

I was close to buying the pricy Dlink too before I got more Linksys recommendation since the low price one that are under 60 i read it fail after a week or month.

btw i tested the old router with my multi adaptor and did the same.

So you ended up getting the Linksys WRT54-GL? It's a capable router, you'll just have to take a look at the different distributions of firmware that you can run on it.

Here are two of the most popular firmwares, though they are unsupported by Linksys, available for use with your router.

DD-WRT: DD-WRT Homepage

Tomato: Tomato Firmware Homepage

Also, as an aside, make sure to read the installation instructions completely, and take a look at both their respective forums once you find the perfect firmware for your uses.

Pity the multi-adapter did not let your old router run. Seems that it was completely fizzled.

Good luck with your new router.
biggrin.gif

Humm im kinda leaning toward the tomato one.. since the dd-wrt umm...err one i cant even find the dl well more like i keep getting to another directory up to the point i have no clue what to click on... and forum that even hard to navigate and end up not finding what im looking for... it didnt show like the interface like to tomato one to easily

I would ask 2 other people for some suggestion and feel for the one they chosen but yea... they not online >.>
btw What do you use and the one you using how do you like it? I would probably ask the same to the other 2 people i want to ask...lol. After getting those feedback/info I probably make my decision that night since everything already set up like me hanging the router on the side of my desk and wire push aside for cleaning just need to plug in the adapter and switch the internet wire and of course installing the firmware.

Also actually my multi adapter did the same i saw the pwr light go on and off ... on off on off.... so it wasn't the adapter.

-----------

Edit:

Well I actually found the right one for my router for the one i couldnt find so I now got both file but only one with how it look which was tomato still unknow about the DD-wrt one on how it look.

I'm currently using a D-Link DIR-655 with the beta 1.11 b39 firmware. Both the DD-WRT and Tomato firmwares cannot be installed since they are incompatible with my router. As for how much I like it, it's been running pretty solid, and it supports forcing priority for certain computers, so no one uses all the bandwidth.

I wish either DD-WRT or Tomato firmware were supported on my router, but it seems like there is some problems getting the firmware to run on the processor in my router.

As far as the internet connection connected to it, I have the Verizon FIOS 20/20 symmetrical plan (can't wait till the 50/50 or 100/100 plans become available).

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate and ask them.
wink.gif

As far as a guide to help you find what you need on their sites, I'll post a quick graphical route later.

Well i got a hold on one of the person i was talking about. He using the default firmware so I guess Im going to try the default one for now until i get issue with it once i get the issue and dont like it I will switch to the dd-wrt firmware since i actually found the how to see how it look...google image >.>... Although even though im seting up a router again im still using almost all the bandwidth =P since my computer is the only one that will be hardline and the rest is wireless and mine will be dling alot. =)

Will be hooking it up probaly tonight lol.

Well anyways
thank.jpg

Thread closed =)...unless i run into problem with my new router haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back