Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
Japanese: ロクでなし魔術講師と禁忌教典
Genres: Action, Comedy, Romance, Fantasy
Airing date: 4/4/2017 (TV series 12 episodes)
Original creator: Tarō Hitsuji
Original character designers: Kurone Mishima (light novel) and Aosa Tsunemi (manga)
Directed by: Minato Kazuto
Written by: Tōko Machida
Music by: Hiroaki Tsutsumi
Character designer: Satoshi Kimura
Chief animation director: Makoto Iino
Animation directors: Toshiyuki Fujisawa and Yasuhiro Namatame
Unit director: Satoshi Takafuji
Art director: Yūji Kaneko
Sound director: Yōji Shimizu
Director of photography: Takao Saitō
Design by: Noise Ekoda (Mahōjin)
Color design by: Mineyo Oonishi
Prop design by: Yoshinori Iwanaga
Effects by: Takashi Hashimoto
Editing by: Mai Hasegawa
Produced by: Shintarō Yoshitake, Noritomo Isogai, Keisuke Arai and Takayuki Takagi
Studio: Liden Films
Network: AT-X, Tokyo MX, MBS, TV Aichi, BS11
Opening theme: "Blow Out" by Konomi Suzuki
Ending theme: "Precious You☆" by Akane Fujita, Yume Miyamoto and Ari Ozawa

Main cast: Glenn Radars (グレン=レーダス) voiced by Sōma Saitō

Sistine Fibel (システィーナ=フィーベル) voiced by Akane Fujita

Rumia Tingel (ルミア=ティンジェル) voiced by Yume Miyamoto

Supporting cast: Re-L Rayford (リィエル=レイフォード) voiced by Ari Ozawa

Celica Arfonia (セリカ=アルフォネア) voiced by Eri Kitamura

Albert Frazer (アルベルト=フレイザー) voiced by Hiroki Takahashi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzlblisGahI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lYVx8lQGSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN0U1vzWClo

Synopsis: Sistina attends a magical academy to hone her skills in the magical arts, hoping to solve the mystery of the enigmatic Sky Castle. After the retirement of her favorite teacher, the replacement, Glen, turns out to be a tardy, lazy, and seemingly incompetent bastard of an instructor. How is it that Glen was hand-picked by the best magician in the academy?!

Norren said:
Personal picks:

Something majutsu related to Akashic Records: This manga cracks me up, it's a guilty pleasure, so I guess I'll be watching this one. The parent's day chapter... oh god, the parent's day chapter getting animated.
from ep.1s i have tried, it's the 1st new series i feel like watching of spring :lol:

Doesn't this 'teacher' look like a high school student himself? Maybe he's supposed to be a recent college grad?

Two eps in, and I'm enjoying the ride. Not much to say yet, the fun won't really kick in until next episode. :D

We seem to be on track for the parents day episode around ep 9 or 10... but murphy's law says it'll be the BD extra, tho'.

gdpetti said:
Doesn't this 'teacher' look like a high school student himself? Maybe he's supposed to be a recent college grad?
The Manga and LN explain this during the "HE CAN'T TEACH HERE!" Scene that was in Ep 1- Glen enrolled in the academy at 11 and graduated at 15, the age most of the students actually enroll at, he's spent the last 4 years doing nothing of merit.

Norren said:
Glen enrolled in the academy at 11 and graduated at 15, the age most of the students actually enroll at, he's spent the last 4 years doing nothing of merit.
So that's why he told Rumia to not dig in his past, fed up of killing with magic :0 yet saves her again along sistina... still cool ep.3 beating terrorists and skeletons Bone golems, btw shame on Konami! no Castlevania s even as 30th Anniversary :(

Asked this elsewhere, but I'll ask here as well... Why is the term Akashic Records used for this guy/anime? It's a rather esoteric term, so is it used just to be 'cool' or is the character actually shown/portrayed accessing the psychic records of this planet? That would be interesting to see displayed.... there has to be some reason to use that in the title, even if used wrongly... just wondering... as it definitely got my attention, and seeing how it's a magical school, Harry Potterverse like, it is possible, though it wasn't used in Rowling's work either, seeing how she wasn't esoteric, just a classics major with knowledge of British folklore... which seems similar to how many writers use Japan's folklore in so many anime projects.... this genre uses 'magic' instead, a newer version of the same perhaps...

Hey, an early peek at Shironeko's parents! :D

gdpetti said:
Asked this elsewhere, but I'll ask here as well... Why is the term Akashic Records used for this guy/anime? It's a rather esoteric term, so is it used just to be 'cool' or is the character actually shown/portrayed accessing the psychic records of this planet? That would be interesting to see displayed.... there has to be some reason to use that in the title, even if used wrongly... just wondering... as it definitely got my attention, and seeing how it's a magical school, Harry Potterverse like, it is possible, though it wasn't used in Rowling's work either, seeing how she wasn't esoteric, just a classics major with knowledge of British folklore... which seems similar to how many writers use Japan's folklore in so many anime projects.... this genre uses 'magic' instead, a newer version of the same perhaps...
In the prelude to the plot arc that I expect to be the season ending plot arc, One of the villains tantalizes another villain, a researcher working towards resurrecting the dead, with the idea of "obtaining the Akashic Records" to start the arc off. Related to that, a little later it's revealed that the loss of an individual's memories/soul is one of the only things really preventing resurrection magic. There hasn't been much more detail than that given, but it appears to be a bigger part of that plot arc, possibly even a larger picture myth arc.

Or it could just be a snappy way of saying "the world's unfortunate memory of this lazy bastard teacher", which is almost long enough to be a viable LN title these days.

Norren said:
In the prelude to the plot arc that I expect to be the season ending plot arc, One of the villains tantalizes another villain, a researcher working towards resurrecting the dead, with the idea of "obtaining the Akashic Records" to start the arc off. Related to that, a little later it's revealed that the loss of an individual's memories/soul is one of the only things really preventing resurrection magic. There hasn't been much more detail than that given, but it appears to be a bigger part of that plot arc, possibly even a larger picture myth arc.

Or it could just be a snappy way of saying "the world's unfortunate memory of this lazy bastard teacher", which is almost long enough to be a viable LN title these days.
lol Sisti along rumia already ask 'what are Akashic records?' as ep.4 preview, but Celica and guren go answering 'are... hahaha!' xD ep.5 magic competitions kinda remind me Mahouka, also its new girl Re'L to Saya in Battle academiez Asterisk :)

Someone else said it's the name of one of those floating cities that hold all the best or most or ancient magical knowledge... something like that.... so essentially misuse of the term which is rather the norm for anime..... thanks...

gdpetti said:
Someone else said it's the name of one of those floating cities that hold all the best or most or ancient magical knowledge... something like that.... so essentially misuse of the term which is rather the norm for anime..... thanks...
The floating city is called Sky Castle Melgarius, for what it's worth. I don't remember any other direct references aside from what was said during that one villain exchange, so I don't think there's enough information to decide either way.

As to anime misusing the term, I'll make an educated guess that's because somewhere in the ancestry of LNs and Manga, there was a story that depicted the Akashic Records as being to Magicians what the Philosopher's stone is to Alchemy, and everyone else kind of ran with it the same way Final Fantasy's made Bahamut synonymous with dragons for RPGs. (Zombie Loan? Pfft. ;) )

gdpetti said:
Someone else said it's the name of one of those floating cities that hold all the best or most or ancient magical knowledge... something like that
then makes sense why terrorist maid points up in ep.6, IF they're there but we'll see Next arc as it became more lively... now that Albert and his loli partner beat help Glen, the queen along daughter safe + Shironeko drunk= his reward gone :p

Norren said:
The floating city is called Sky Castle Melgarius, for what it's worth. I don't remember any other direct references aside from what was said during that one villain exchange, so I don't think there's enough information to decide either way.
considering It's a different arc each 3 eps i guess season finale or until s2, first school hijack then magic competition... now mandatory beach! as warned Re'L is dangerous to get along, her brother? Very likely ep.7 cliffhanger hints so <_<

... I get the distinct impression they're saving parents' day for the OVA. :( At least we got to see Shironeko's parents make a cameo! :D

Next episode should overtake the Manga scanlations! And yeah, Re'l's backstory is about to come front and center. :unsure:

Norren said:
... I get the distinct impression they're saving parents' day for the OVA. :(
you're making it look really nice xD should be 1 hour tv special then, or movie in case that's not enough time!... by ep.8 as necromancer maid needs Rumia, I wonder if yandere-loli-traitor's brother was cloned using akashic records.:huh:

Norren said:
As to anime misusing the term, I'll make an educated guess that's because somewhere in the ancestry of LNs and Manga, there was a story that depicted the Akashic Records as being to Magicians what the Philosopher's stone is to Alchemy, and everyone else kind of ran with it the same way Final Fantasy's made Bahamut synonymous with dragons for RPGs. (Zombie Loan? Pfft. ;) )
That's a very good analogy... they stay somewhat true, while being nearly entirely wrong. :wacko: But at least it's there.... reminds me of how Rowling's first book title was changed from HP and the Philosopher's Stone to HP and the Sorcerer's Stone.... gotta keep the dumbed down kids in the States etc, ignorant of the reference and what it means... even if Rowling doesn't recognize it herself.

Just started watching this one... the dub is up to ep5.... and the dub seems rather good as well.... this anime is rather straight comedy with an action backdrop, rather well done so far... it's not trying to be anything other than what it is or what it seems to be, not knowing the manga base. There does seem to be a rather lot of HP references in terms of magical spells, situations in the school etc.... trying to maintain that lexicon perhaps that's been setup by her and others over the years... though they add in the fractal illumination as well... which does make a better graphic or look to the scene, and this is something that anime/manga has done a lot over the years in their works... nice combination.

As for the teacher, they pretty quickly explain the situation and the fact that he is anything but a 'bastard teacher'... and those 4 years after graduation seem to have been spent in the Imperial forces, not exactly 'nothing of merit' as they first present him... though it's hard to determine exactly how much the other students realize this... how much they know about that attack on the school etc.... you would think the whole school would know... unless that girl kept quiet and the other students kept in that containment area... by that is quickly glossed over by the start of the next ep... which is odd, perhaps the manga dealt with it more? kind of hard to ignore something like that, no? unless some spell was cast on them and they aren't even aware it happened.... buildings quickly repaired by some spell etc. Otherwise, this anime is pretty well made.

gdpetti said:
this anime is rather straight comedy with an action backdrop, rather well done so far... it's not trying to be anything other than what it is or what it seems to be
Im enjoying it too up to ep'9 as i expected Re-L's arc finale, revealing what her name means and real brother... if magic shots on chimeras or loliclones aren't enough, at times a gun is more useful xD in preview Akashic records when!?:p

Norren said:
Hey, an early peek at Shironeko's parents! :D
Norren said:
At least we got to see Shironeko's parents make a cameo! :D
rejoice! they just got more screentime xD still as carefree, forgeting the arrival of their daughter's fiancé wannabe... a shame about ShiroInu but ep.11s duels weren't so predictable, season finale too? hopefully (don't mess with Tulpas):eek:

You know now that I'm slowly coming back to watching anime again I'm surprised that I almost missed out on this series here. I get a feeling that there is a bit of yuri to enjoy on all of this, and that we don't have a kid teacher obtaining a harm, but a NEET that wants to kill time teaching magic. I've only saw 3 episodes as of right now, but I kind of like how this setup here.

Kid-Wolf said:
I'm slowly coming back to watching anime again I'm surprised that I almost missed out on this series here. I get a feeling that there is a bit of yuri to enjoy on all of this, and that we don't have a kid teacher obtaining a harm, but a NEET that wants to kill time teaching magic. I've only saw 3 episodes as of right now, but I kind of like how this setup here.
better late than never ;/ so not 0nly he saved the wedding day, also Shironeko tagging along to beat such 'groom... sadly her parents aren't invited but unless S2 keep trolling us, finally we'll see Wth Are akashic records (harem'sensei):lol:

Okay, for the love of Kami-sama please tell me there's going to be at least a second season here. I mean I now have more questions than answers and I feel like things just more or less opened up to the point of where is this even related to the floating castle above the city now.

On a side note, am I the only one that thinks of Rumia in this series to be compared to Rumia from Touhou?

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back