PS3 Preview!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Nightdragon

TSiF-Tearraven
Retired
PS3_platform_245x178.jpg
PS3_Logo_333x53.gif

PS3_sideart.gif

PS3 Releases November 17th, 2006

Here is a preview:
Twelve years after the original PlayStation and six years after the PS2, Sony launches PlayStation 3, with today's most advanced computer entertainment technology. Thanks to the super-computer-like Cell processor with an overwhelming computing power of 2 teraflops, graphical expressions that have never been seen before become possible. Environments and characters are far more refined and realistic. Sony's new free online marketplace is available out of the box, offering additional content, online gaming, and independent game downloads. A built-in Blu-ray disc player and support for hi-def resolution up to 1080p takes complete advantage of whatever home theater system you have.

Hardware Specs:

PlayStation 3 Core Package - $499 U.S.

PlayStation 3 console
Wireless controller
20GB hard drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PlayStation 3 Premium Package - $599 U.S.

PlayStation 3 console
Wireless controller
60GB hard drive
Memory Stick
Compact Flash reader
SD Reader
HDMI port
Built-in WiFi (802.11b/g)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer
Sony

Dimensions
12.8" (W) x 3.8" (H) x 10.8" (L)

Weight
11 lbs

System Orientation
Stands vertically or horizontally

Controller

Wireless controller (up to 7 supported)
6-axis motion sensitivity
Bluetooth
USB 2.0 (wired)
Network (over IP)

CPU

Cell Microprocessor 3.2 Ghz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @ 3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

CPU Performance

221 mm2
234 million transistors
90 nm SOI technology
218 gigaflops floating point performance
Observed clock speeds greater than 4 GHz

System Bandwidth
Main RAM 25.6 GB/s
VRAM 22.4 GB/s
RSX 20 GB/s (write) + 15 GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5 GB/s (write) + 2.5 GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance
2 teraflops

Main Memory
256 MB XDR RAM

Graphics Processor
RSX "Reality Synthesizer" @ 550MHz
1.8 teraflops floating point performance
256 MB GDDR3 dedicated memory
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Storage
Portable 2.5" hard drive (20 or 60 GB)

Main Input/Output
Support for up to 7 wireless game controllers
USB front x 4, rear x 2 (USB 2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
Compact Flash (Type I, II) x 1
Ethernet port
WiFi (802.11b/g)
Bluetooth

Sound
Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)
256 MB XDR Main RAM @ 3.2GHz 256 MB GDDR3 VRAM @ 700MHz

Digital Media Support
CD, PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE
Backward compatible (PS2, PS)

High-Definition Game Support
480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI out x 2
AV MULTI OUT x 1
DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Online Capabilities
Out-of-the-box, instant access to Sony's online service
Built-in Ethernet port (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x1 + output x 2)
WiFi IEEE 802.11 b/g
WiFi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Well, I guess this is the official PS3 only thread.

So have any of you heard of "Home"?

It's a MMORPG game that will revolutionize the PS3 and give it the edge it needs to beat the Nintendo Wii.

Home is a real-time 3D, networked community that serves as a meeting place for PLAYSTATION 3 users from around the world, where they can interact, communicate, join online games, shop, share content and even build their own personal spaces. Home will be available as a free download from the PLAYSTATION Store and will launch directly from the PS3 system's Home Menu.

The beta test for Home will be available in April I believe.

So if this works, Nintendo is finished. The Mii feature can't even compare to home. Sony has just taken what Nintendo has created and made it better. Also, Sony PS3 sales in Japan have increased! Sony is coming back
biggrin.gif

Another thing that has gotten my attention is "Little Big Planet". Now this game is also very innovative. It's a puzzle type game which allows 4 players to work together online to complete a course consisting of a series of puzzles. Each player is controlled by a real person which is really cool.

http://www.kotaku.com/?refId=242440

Heres the trailers for this game and Home.

Both trailers can be found near the bottom of the page (They're next to eachother)

Nintendo's finished, I'm so hyped and happy that I have a PS3!
laugh.gif

Nah, Nintendo wont die so easily
tongue.gif
Though it seems that PS3 just keeps copying everything Nintendo does. First the (horribly done) motion sensor, and now 'Home'. Rather irritating really >.> I'm not for the PS3 personally, all in for the Wii~

While I do have to say that PS3's "Home" does seem kinda interesting and neat, to me it doesn't seem like a deal breaker that will get me to put down $500-600 on this system. Having your own personal space in it looks kinda cool, but all in all it seems kinda pointless. I doubt I would ever use my "virtual room" much at all. It is nice that the PS3 will get a more unified online community now, but the 360 has had that a unified online community from the beginning.

And no this will not kill Nintendo. Do you think I would buy a Wii just for the Mii features? Hell no. I would buy it for the fun and innovative games that are available and PS3 releasing an online community will have absolutely no effect on the Wii's games.

Well, I guess we have to wait and see what the future has in store for the PS3. But so far, it looks like Sony is doing a great job. I don't like the way many sites trash the PS3 and praise the Wii. I love the Wii, but still, you can't keep on pointing out Sony's faults. I hate the bias going on, I think the PS3 is a superior system. However, with it's lack of titles, it's been taking a great hit. But I truly believe Home will be a success and boost sales. If I didn't have a PS3, I'd want one now. This just shows that the PS3 isn't finished yet.

I don't think there will be any reason for me to get a PS3 until either MGS4, FFXIII/versus XIII, or DMC4 come out. Other than those titles nothing really seems amazing to me and the system does not seem like it's worth how much it costs. Even with those games I'm not about to drop $500 on the system. I'll have to wait for a price drop to even consider getting a PS3.

I want a PS3. I admit it. But its just so, so, so expensive. I really can't justify spending so much money on it. v.v

I think I`ll get a PS3 as soon as there are some fine RPG's out for it, but somehow it seems that there are not that much coming. There are 2 FF's, white knight story and 2 or 3 unnamed titles. Am I the only one thinking that this is not enough?

Sony actually increased the price in Canada by about $100(+). I'm waiting for an RPG as well,though Motorstorm looks nice.

QUOTE (shun20 @ Mar 15 2007, 05:52 PM) I think I`ll get a PS3 as soon as there are some fine RPG's out for it, but somehow it seems that there are not that much coming. There are 2 FF's, white knight story and 2 or 3 unnamed titles. Am I the only one thinking that this is not enough?
Its coming slowly but surely, but Microsoft is actually starting to compete with Sony in the RPG department. Blue Dragon was a pretty good hit in Japan, though we still have to see how it will do here.

QUOTE (Darkvein @ Mar 15 2007, 11:17 PM) Its coming slowly but surely, but Microsoft is actually starting to compete with Sony in the RPG department. Blue Dragon was a pretty good hit in Japan, though we still have to see how it will do here.
I can only imagine that Blue Dragon will be a very popular game. From what I've read about it, it looks very good and I plan on getting it.

And I had completely forgotten about White Knight Story. When that game comes out I will be wishing I had a PS3. I saw the trailer for the game and thought it looked amazing and it's by one of my favorite game developers, Level-5, makers of Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy.

The only trouble for me here is ......money!(yeah,the thing that makes our world go round...
dry.gif
).US$499 or US$599 is expensive enough...but I don't know why PS3 is sold at about US$700-750 at my country.I don't think I could afford thta much at the moment.Besides,with the lack of titles right now,I think I'll do as the same as B-san,at least wait until GREAT series like MGS4 or FFXii been released.
wink.gif
And the price might be a little cheaper when the time comes...I hope...
rolleyes.gif

Don't expect a pricedrop soon. Mabey next year, but not this year. Sony is losing lots of money to Nintendo and most of their products are not selling out like Nintendo's products. The last thing Sony needs is a price drop. But expect that to change during the year. As soon as Sony gains momentum and starts selling out of PS3's, a price drop might occur. But currently, the Blu Ray laser is costing Sony alot to manufacture.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Mar 17 2007, 04:32 PM) Don't expect a pricedrop soon. Mabey next year, but not this year. Sony is losing lots of money to Nintendo and most of their products are not selling out like Nintendo's products. The last thing Sony needs is a price drop. But expect that to change during the year. As soon as Sony gains momentum and starts selling out of PS3's, a price drop might occur. But currently, the Blu Ray laser is costing Sony alot to manufacture.
Therein lies the hitch, InuyashaX-Hokage . While the PS3 seems to be second-place at best, can Sony afford to keep losing customers to Nintendo, or will they make a grab for more market share by dropping the price? Unsold units also mean unsold games, so its a double-blow if too many potential customers are turned off by the price.

Sony sure is losing money fast for their next gen console but you have to realize the PS3 hasn't even been released on the other side of the world...majority Europe and Ocenia..6 more days and the falling sales will surely pic up, esp. the rich Europenas that wants to get their hands on one of these systems, will be one of those to purchase and make it better for Sony. .people on these forums, esp. gaming forums have completely forgotten Sony hasn't lost and is losing sales because its not released in Europe yet. Thus they think Sony has completely lost against Nintendo overall. But on March 23, 2007 PS3 sales will surely have a big impact to PS3 worldwide sales in general...not only their console comes out but several games that are currently the best on the system in overall ratings...e.g. Motorstorm, R:FOM, COD, Oblivion, Virtua Tennis (by Sega with their new system AM3) and many more, that also come to North America a few days before.

according to wiki, theu say Ps3 has some 1.65+ millions sales worldwide...which information is totally incorrect since its not worldwide in the first place and only includes the following countires: Japan, U.S.A. (excluding Canada).

It is also esitmated that Sony will rise to the top again very soon. Their sales are increasing, especially in Japan as well. Just give it time and soon, more PS3's will be selling out than the Wii's. Sony is losing the war so far, but it's not too terrible. Many analysits believe PS3 sales will improve in the following years.

But as for whether Sony can out sell and beat the Wii in the console war remains uncertain. I have a feeling that the Wii will remain #1. It's innovation that applys to all age groups and types of people is giving it the cutting edge over the PS3 despite it's lack in graphics and multimedia friendly features. The Mii idea is nice, but after Home is released, it will be a thing of the past unless Nintendo does something amazing with the idea which they can.

The problem Nintendo faces is keeping the Wii new and fresh. How long untill the user finds him/herself doing the same things over and over again, just with a different setting? While the motion-control is new and innovative, I can't help but to feel, in some ways, that this rescricts what Nintendo and the third-party developers can come out with.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back