Planetarian: Hoshi no Hito (film) & Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (ONAs)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Titles: planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (ONAs) and Star Person (movie)
Japanese: プラネタリアン ~ちいさなほしのゆめ~ & ~星の人~
Airing date: 7/7/2016 (Original net animation series, 5 episodes) and 27/5/2016 (pre-stream)
Release dates: 3/9/2016 (animated film), 2004 (Windows visual novel) and 2014 (worldwide)
Genres: Drama, Sci-Fi, Post-apocalyptic
Original creators: Key (VN developer) and Yūichi Suzumoto (light novel)
Publisher: VisualArt's, KineticNovel (W, Android, iOS), Prototype (PS2, FOMA, PSP) & Sekai Project (W)
Original character designer: Eeji Komatsu (LN)
Director: Naokatsu Tsuda
Series directors: Katsuichi Nakayama and Shunsuke Machitani
Written by: Shogo Yasukawa
Music by: Magome Togoshi, Donmaru (VN) Shinji Orito and Tomohiro Takeshita (ONA / film)
Character designer: Hitomi Takechi
Sound director: Takayuki Yamaguchi
3D director: Yoji Nagasawa
Director of photography: Arimasa Watanabe
Art directors: Yusuke Takeda and Yūko Sugiyama
Art design by: Hiroshi Izumi
Color design by: Yūko Sato
Mechanical design by: Kanetake Ebikawa
Prop design by: Shinya Uchida
Sound effects by: Yasumasa Koyama
Edited by: Kiyoshi Hirose
Studio: David Production
ONA ending theme: "Twinkle Starlight" by Sayaka Sasaki
ONA image song: "Worlds Pain" by Ceui
Movie theme song: "Hoshi no Fune (星の舟)" by Lia

Main cast: Yumemi Hoshino (ほしのめみ) voiced by Keiko Suzuki
PVs:
The Junker / Kuzuya (屑屋)
voiced by Daisuke Ono
TV CM: ONA theme songs:
ED & Image S. (Karaoke):

Synopsis:
It is thirty years after the failure of the Space Colonization Program. Humanity is nearly extinct. A perpetual and deadly Rain falls on the Earth. Men known as "Junkers" plunder goods and artifacts from the ruins of civilization. One such Junker sneaks alone into the most dangerous of all ruins—a "Sarcophagus City." In the center of this dead city, he discovers a pre-War planetarium. And as he enters he is greeted by Hoshino Yumemi, a companion robot. Without a single shred of doubt, she assumes he is the first customer she's had in 30 years. She attempts to show him the stars at once, but the planetarium projector is broken. Unable to make heads or tails of her conversation, he ends up agreeing to try and repair the projector...

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jun 18 2016, 07:39 PM)This next one is Planetarian, another post-apocalyptic storyline... no doubt due to upcoming events.... 'soon' it is said. cool.gif Anyway, this one reminds me of another one I can't remember.. only had a couple of OVAs... left over female robots... everything and one in decay it seems.. add a little acid rain environment etc.good Ep'1, it's been a while since short ONAs keep me interested to see more
biggrin.gif

This is one I want to check out, but prefer to wait for 3 eps or so....
I can't remember what it reminds me of.... 2 different animes... one was only 2 OVAs I think... left over robots from a dying planet... based on a manga... she tends to the cafe her owner left her in charge of.... the other one is... the cast comes across this librarian robot... in a post apocalyptic world... and learn about things, their elders don't really want them to know about.... can't remember that one either.

This one makes you wonder about the core programming of the unit.... in case of emergency, what is their next move?

Ok, found it... .YKK.... the librarian one I can't find.

PS... I think this 'librarian' was the 'false minoshiro' in "From the New World"... I think.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jul 8 2016,04:14 PM)you wonder about the core programming of the unit.... in case of emergency, what is their next move?definitely Yumemi's programmers didn't consider a future apocalypse, ep.2 test reminds me Robocop's first film... So far I like this Key adaptation over Rewrite despite it's 5 Eps, i'm looking forward the projection now that Jena is repaired
smile.gif

Finally an anime version of that very nice visual novel Planetarian. The animation studio does a pretty good job of adding and expanding the scenes from the novel. Yumemi and the junker reacted to each other just as expected. The feeling from the novel is actually coming across..she is broken but does her job as good as she can. Her continuous talking gives the feeling she felt lonely during all that time. He is rude to her but he does stay in the planetarium for the show...just like he has a bit of hope and wants to see that show that she promises.
I can't wait for the next episode.
smile.gif

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jul 10 2016, 01:25 PM)The animation studio does a pretty good job of adding and expanding the scenes from the novel. Yumemi and the junker reacted to each other just as expected. The feeling from the novel is actually coming across..she is broken but does her job as good as she can. Her continuous talking gives the feeling she felt lonely during all that time.I guess that's also why she decided to go outside with him, I'm glad ep'3 wasn't short unlike in previous ONAs... despite no emergency power her show goes on along his imagination, i agree David Production is animating nicely like JoJo
happy.gif

Just finished watching thru ep 4... nice introduction to the characters, the world setup etc. Not sure why or how those robotic military units are still operating if no one is there but some junkers passing thru... they should have broken down by now, run out of ammo etc... unless there's a military base still operating in the city.... but for what? Anyone read this novel? Hint, hint?
biggrin.gif

But it's progressing nicely, only the guy wouldn't really feel much sympathy, especially not empathy for the robot and it/her situation unless a reason is given later.. which is possible... involving his mother/parent's death... giving him that necklace/chain with the constellation on it... his mother? had it around her neck... so???

The electricity finally running out is a nice touch.... running on emergency power for so long... he should ask if her programming can be updated with recent data.... on history, the situation etc... interesting so far... the AI aspect developing to meet humanity's decent and decay... somewhere in the middle they meet. If he could update her basic programming, it would help a lot... or would it? If her unit isn't capable of processing the data? He should be able to swap/borrow/steal a battery unit from one of those other military robots patrolling the city... the storyline will have to go there next.

Japan really does a lot of these dystopian storylines... and rather well usually.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jul 28 2016, 07:40 PM)4... nice introduction to the characters, the world setup etc. Not sure why or how those robotic military units are still operating if no one is there but some junkers passing thru... they should have broken down by now, run out of ammo etc... unless there's a military base still operating in the city.... but for what? Anyone read this novel? Hint, hinI haven't played the visual novel yet telling by Nijlandp's post above, maybe he did but yes it's getting even better... outside that planetarium facing a GiTS-like mecha, sadly this week final ONA and a film next month (like Patema Inverse)
wink.gif

I did indeed play (well, it is not really playable) the visual novel. I don't want to spoil it so i am not going to tell anything. The OVA's are really nice in telling the story.
smile.gif

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Aug 05 2016, 01:17 PM)I did indeed play (well, it is not really playable) the visual novel. I don't want to spoil it so i am not going tothen from what you recall does it end like that sad Finale, by showing Yumemi's memories' after her sacrifice to save him?... asked in case the upcoming movie will be its continuation, or Just a recap with extended scenes ala Time of Eve
sleep.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Aug 06 2016, 02:00 AM) then from what you recall does it end like that sad Finale, by showing Yumemi's memories' after her sacrifice to save him?... asked in case the upcoming movie will be its continuation, or Just a recap with extended scenes ala Time of Eve
sleep.gif

It does indeed end like the fifth OVA. I don't know if the upcoming movie is a continuation but probably not. He did say he is a starteller now so he is taking her job and hope for the future. It would be very good if in the movie he is going to tell about Yumemi and what she did for him..
In all the OVA's were very good and fun to watch: 9 out of 10 for me.

nijlandp said:
It does indeed end like the fifth OVA. I don't know if the upcoming movie is a continuation but probably not. He did say he is a starteller now so he is taking her job and hope for the future. It would be very good if in the movie he is going to tell about Yumemi and what she did for him..
Agreed it's as good or better than both short series i wrote above, do you know if another route is titled Hoshi No Hito?... Maybe the film will be about it but now that its ONAs ended, what new animes you're still seeing guys? tried 91 Days?b)

Just finished watching it... didn't know it was going to end on this episode, given that if she's an old model, there's probably lots of parts around the city if he wanted to rebuild her... but that is the end of the story. The ending is ok, and from the WIkipedia writeup, not much different from the VN's ending, but why end it there? Rather short compared to their usual fare... I was expecting the series to last a full season... and from their setup, it could have... of course, I guess Key could continue it with a follow-up VN and anime.

I actually thought the death scene a little long... almost felt like timing it.
wink.gif
Had some issues with the story once she came outside... he never told her what really happened.. hard to get too worked up when he never really cared enough to tell her what was going on, why no one ever showed up, etc... and all of this exposition could have just been hinted at when he was working on the projector... a couple of words by one of them to let us know he told her etc.

This seems a pattern for Key.... they come up with nice setup stories, but don't seem to know how to flush them out properly... but maybe that's just my opinion? It was nice as it was... but IMO, the setup was projecting more development than what expired by the close.... leaving me a little disappointed... I expected him to take her back into the planetarium to fix after finding parts, as her recharge/repair room was in there.... something more than just this... seems a waste of a good setup.... but nice overall.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Aug 08 2016, 08:16 PM)not much different from the VN's ending, but why end it there? Rather short compared to their usual fare... I was expecting the series to last a full season... and from their setup, it could have... of course, I guess Key could continue it with a follow-up VN and animeyup hopefully a movie will do to finish its story properly, after all he literally got her memory so she can be rebuilded... if not at least Key's Rewrite is still airing this season, unless 13 eps aren't enough in ending well the VN-based-route
dry.gif

Planetarium was the best so far, but a short series just when it was getting interesting.
dry.gif

Nothing I've seen so far seems impressive otherwise, but I just started another SoL... I guess, as it involves another classic plot device of a future you telling the present you to change things.... this one is called Orange.... rather well done for this genre so far... just to show that being based in high school doesn't mean it has to be dumbed down in one manner or another. In this case, just finishing the 3rd episode, we get a look at the adult version .... no mention so far of how this letter is getting to the high school version of herself.... sooner or later that has to be covered, right? Even if we only get a lame excuse.
wink.gif
I like the way the story is developing and the exploration of past/present/future is being covered. The last ep reminded me of an older film.. have to look it up if I can find in on Wiki.... from the 80s? Found it... The Big Chill.... lot of similar elements to the story... so far... not the time issue of course.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Aug 13 2016, 07:27 PM)best so far, but a short seriesagreed also thnks for suggesting 0range, not as good to me but still enjoyable...
Telling by imagine-nation's promo, guess i was right about its recent film
blink.gif

Wasn't the manga for Planetarium a short one too? Thus the short anime? How about the film just released? Planetarian: Hoshi no Hito -- was it essentially the same? was it a repackaging of this anime?

Ok, just saw on WIki that it was a short visual novel... so nothing more unless they expand it... too bad, it has a very good setup, characters with some depth etc.... the whole situation was a nice setup...
wink.gif

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Sep 17 2016, 7:50 PM)manga for Planetarium a short one too? Thus the short anime? How about the film just released? Planetarian: Hoshi no Hito -- was it essentially the same? was it a repackaging of this anime?As written in that synopsis, 'contains five episodes from the anime "planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~"... delivered starting July 7th, that are completed in the movie' but we'll see by ourselves until its BR/DVD release next year
huh.gif

Ah! So that's what the movie is.... edited version of the anime series with a finale that the series didn't have? I'll have to check it out.... was wondering about that as I just saw it in the film section.. though I think it could be another season or more given the setup, storyline etc.

Planetarian: Starteller film, sequel of exjunker now old teaching a New generation

nijlandp said:
all the OVA's were very good and fun to watch: 9 out of 10 for me.
PT: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (5 short ONA episodes) summer 2016, fall (BR) - 9/10
PT: Hoshi no Hito (theatrical movie finale) summer 2016, Winter 2017 (BR) - 10/10

Just happened to click the link to this movie version of Planetarian: Hoshi no Hito.... with the additional material added to the anime series summation.... very good by the end... nice way to wrap it all up.. and they did a good job of editing the short series into this 'side story' which is really a look back.... but I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it.... I just happened to notice that it was posted today... the subs are a little off, I'm guessing the subber isn't a native speaker which is quite obvious... odd choices, which are again obvious, but it doesn't really get in the way...much , just throws you off... the word choices.. perhaps a better sub will be attached later?

This really reminds me of how much I liked the short series... I really can't believe Key hasn't expanded this into a larger series/VN game... as the worldview setup in a post-apocalyptic world is well done, seems quite realistic in terms of that setup... they could do a lot to fill in the years, the situation just before and after that leads up to the anime.... as this film is like a post-script... 50 years later or so? This setup is better than any of the other Key products I've seen.... -_- Oh well, seems they don't know a good thing when they have it. A 'kinetic' VN it's called on Wikipedia... no choices in play.. over 4 hours to complete? I wonder if there is any additional material... as it mentions more time outside the city that I don't remember too much of in the anime... if so, they could have added a few more eps it would seem. Hmmm. :mellow: It was nice to return to this one... the new stuff was a nice 'bookend' for the retelling of the main story arc... Can't help but see the possibilities with this one... it's got real potential in this genre. The programming of the 'robot' was very simple/childlike that worked the emotions very well.... most of this, like most all stories, has been done before, but it always comes down to execution... how those pieces are assembled etc... and this one just plain works... at least for me.

PS... Ok, I'm reading the rest of the Wiki entry... 4 extra chapters are in the VN, and this story for the film was one of them, added to the series summation...
1) events before the war that brought it to ruin.
2) the war at its height is the setting, a sniper that end being...
3) this one used in this film... so they could do OVAs for the others i suppose.
4) 2 twins studying....one questions why... and then the answer.. hmmm. guess I'd have to see/read that one.

So there is some additional material... but even as an older idea, it still seems fresh.... guess because it wasn't done by their usual main scenario writer/project planner, Jun Maeda??? :unsure:

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back