Omamori Himari

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

jul10

-mokyu
Retired

Main Title: Omamori Himari
Japanese Title: おまもりひまり
Production: ZEXCS
Premier Date: January 2010
Genre: action, supernatural ,harem, comedy , ecchi
Official Site: Omamori Himari
Related Links: ANN, Fansub TV Manga Thread
Summary (ANN):
The slapstick romantic comedy centers around an ordinary 16-year-old high school boy named Yūto Amakawa who is protected by a spirit — specifically, a beautiful, sword-wielding cat girl spirit named Himari. Yūto is descended from a family that has subjugated demons since time immemorial. The charm that once protected him is now impotent, but fortunately, at that same moment, Himari appears before him as his new guardian.

I have read the manga so far (English translated version is up to chapter 36), and I really love the story. girl + sword = win!
The main character itself is not a lame one (at least in the manga), well I think Yuuto is quite a good male character compared to other male character that I hate (I will not mention the name here).

If you read the manga, you would probably find that Rinko is a little bit different in the anime. Other than her, the rest are pretty similar to the manga. Unfortunately, there is no noticeable seiyuu (voice actor) in the anime. But that aside, I have high expectation of this anime.
happy.gif

Manga Summary:(onemanga)
Seven years ago, Amakawa Yuuto's parents died leaving him living alone without a single relative. Ever since then, his childhood friend, Kuzaki Rinko, has waken him up, cooked for him and generally taken care of him. The only thing he has from any relative is a mysterious charm, a red ball, given to him by his grandparents as a good luck charm (an omamori).
On the day of his 16th birthday, this charm mysteriously disappears, and into Yuuto's life walks Himari. A cat spirit-samurai girl and demon hunter who swears to protect Yuuto. There is only one small problem. Yuuto has a severe allergic reaction to cats! Hang on to your manga-reading chair as this slapstick love comedy with a bit of good ol' fashion demon hunting is about to begin!

Manga Covers:

Meh, i'tll be something to put on my towatchwhenIhavetime-list
laugh.gif
the manga is only OK for me due to the simple fact that... well... its really just for the ecchi content, even if it does have some plot; it is mostly hidden under all the cleavage

OMFG........are you serious ?!?!?! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......now I'm MAD!!!!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Anyways, I'm hoping the animes that come in 2010 won't be flops like this year.
dry.gif

EDIT:

2010 looks like it has the potential of being the greatest year for anime.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I can't say I'm surprised this has become an Anime. I mean it hits all the harem marks with a Nekkomimi, a Loli, a Childhood Friend, a Maid, a sexy Sensei and an Ojousama all rendered in a seriously cute way. Nothing original but a fairly well done representative of the genre. I consider the Manga readable and fun but not something I wait for releases of with baited breath. Unless the quality of the animation and performances are at a very high level, I suspect my reaction to the Anime will be much the same.

You had me with catgirl with sword. It about time the catgirls made a comback into anime. I was starting to wonder if the other animal eared girls actually took the limelight away from our female felines.
tongue.gif

In any case I'll check out the manga to pass the time and hope to see this anime as well.
biggrin.gif

Another guilty pleasure that I'm really looking forward to.
laugh.gif

after watching the PV i started the manga
this is gonna be a good anime for sure
lots and lots of fanservice
"catgirl maid with a sword" >.<

Alright any idea on the groups that will actually work with this?

I only ask this so we don't get any trolled releases of RAWs and whatnot here.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jan 07 2010, 11:36 AM) Alright any idea on the groups that will actually work with this?

I only ask this so we don't get any trolled releases of RAWs and whatnot here.
on anime take theres one from a [REC] subs that isnt a troll
but as far as well known subbers doing it it might be best to wait a couple days to see who is doing it

after watching it though i gotta say himari is very likeable
that old japanese is something i dont get tired of hearing as well

A really good first ep with good humor and action. The characters are different and likeable, even though the male lead is a really unlucky guy. I mean, you have a really hot catgirl next to you and youre allergic to cats? Life must suck XD

ED was pretty good, maybe I will get the full version sometimes.

Im defenitely going to watch the next eps, even though I get a really huge Tayutama feeling because almost everything is the same as back then. Both male leads have someone who wants to protect them, they have to defeat ayakashi and they have a tsundere childhoodfriend. But I hope this anime is going to be better than Tayutama. At least Himari is far greater than Mashiro.

As I anticipated, this one was definitely one of the better series that has aired thus far by not only following its original source material rather closely, but also capable of producing quality animation.

Plot: If you didn't like Horo from Spice and Wolf or the good parts of 11eyes, you probably won't like this series. Same goes for demon-slaying and ecchi.

Music/Sound: There wasn't an OP this episode, but I presume the song played at the end is going to be the OP sequence for the rest of the series. If it is though, I'm rather disappointed and was hoping for a more appealing opening rather than one completely riddled with fanservice. As for the voice cast, I've always enjoyed Ami Koshimizu as a seiyuu so its great to see her take on the role of Himari. I really don't care much for the other characters except maybe Kuesu once she makes a full-fledged appearance.

Art and Animation: Out of the ZEXCS works, I really only liked their work on Da Capo and H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~. Canvas 2 was okay but messed with my head after a little bit
dry.gif
That said, I've never really thought highly of ZEXCS as an animation company so I'm a bit impressed here. Animation quality was rather consistent and fluid for the most part. Of course, this is only the first episode and first impressions are usually the most important. The question now is will they be able to maintain this consistency. Art wise, I really didn't have much of a problem with the character designs. Most stayed rather faithful to the source material for the most part.

Enjoyment: As implied above, I enjoyed the first episode. I may be too generous in over praising this series a bit, but it's really the only series thus far that I've been impressed with from this season (note: I have yet to watch Durarara!!, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, and Dance in the Vampire Bund, all of which I expect to be the best of this series that are non-sequels) I look forward to the future episodes, though it's a shame this series is only 12 episodes

Hmm... sadly I only found the first episode ok. I don't know if it was because I follow the manga and already know the plotline, but nothing really impressed me here. I do like the art, the bgm is only ok so far; and all the voices pretty much work for their character... except Yuto's. I don't like the voice picked for him, it doesn't fit his personality; nor appearance at all, so it'll take some getting used to. One plus is the voice picked for Himawari; I can't think of any better than the seductive voice of Horo for this type of character.

I really enjoyed the first episode of Omamori Himari. There was a lot of fanservice (and I like it but not too much) but the most important part is the appearance of a neko character ! A little surprise but the greatest surprise of this anime imo. Of course, Himawari is my favorite character for the moment ^^

A little disappointment is when I saw Yuto, he remembered me Junpei of Nyan Koi with he's cat allergy.

I'm more of less feeling the same as AnimeWiz (I read the manga too). If I have to be honest, the manga itself is similar to To-Love-Ru genre with quality of artwork and fanservice outweighting the actual plot or story. However, we all know it is almost impossible to recreate anime with quality at the same level as the manga art (when it is very pretty...especially for the girls), and the art quality for this anime adaptation is only just above average (I'm not referring to the characters design...but referring to the overall art quality of this as an "animation").

I think if this anime was done by AIC at the same art quality level as "Sora no Otoshimono", then I think it would likely to be 100% more appealing...

Well from what I can tell since Nyan Koi got animated first people would normally think that this is another series where the boy is alergic to cats. On the up side here we have a fiarly busty catgirl which hasn't been in anime for quite sometime now. So it looks like the age of the catgirls might be returning to the anime front it would seem.

Aside from that I have to agree with Animewiz-san with the VA for Yuto, since it kind of felt a little bit off for me. Also, indeed having the VA that did Horo to do Himari is rather an excellent choice here. I mean she already knows how certain animal eared girls should act and react in a situation so I approve of that as well.

I watched the raw episode 1 to see how it would turn out... The art for the anime is sub-par in comparison to the art for the manga.

Story-wise? They haven't gotten very far in the manga, so I'm not sure what they can do with the anime. They can go the way of Negima and change the story completely, or they can go the way of Toradora and give the ending away LONG before the manga is finished. I think they could do a lot more with it if they started focusing on Yuuto and Himari's relationship for a while without having to kill demons or flash nipples. I think that's where To-Love-Ru fell short, too.

The seiyuu choices are good in some lights but bad in others. Himari was made to sound like a horny 40-year-old who's always trying to get in your pants, which is good for her as a demon-killing cat of death but bad when she's trying to be playful. Yuuto's voice just seems to fit to me for now, but when he starts getting more serious his nasal voice is going to get annoying. Rinko's voice was about right.

I'll watch the series to see how it does. My rating is right around 4/5 for now.

I'm in the Animewiz, Marine, Kid-Wolf camp on this one. It didn't really meet my modest expectations for it. I agree the art doesn't live up to the Manga, and Marine's comparison to Sora No Otoshimono as a standard to be met when it comes to that is quite apt. I also agree that at first listen, Yuuto's voice doesn't really fit, especially when paired with Rinko's overly chirpy too-dead-on heard-it-a-million-times-before childhood friend performance. The pacing of the episode seemed a bit stilted too plodding from plot point to plot point with little flow. The high point storytelling-wise was the opening sequence showing everyone reacting Yuuto's charm failing, and giving us a teaser characters coming later in the series. Someone mentioned the BGM and I can't say I really noticed it except for the part where Himari first jumped into bed with him, because though it was a bit of a obvious choice to have music like that, it was still very sexy. ;-) Which brings me to fan service, and knowing what I was getting into from the start on that front, I have nothing to complain about.

So that's a lot of criticism, but still, as a reader of the Manga I plan to watch it to the end, and there was nothing so wrong with the show that makes me want to change my mind about that. I think they may have a solid groundwork to build upon, and as more characters come into the show I expect their interactions to become a catalyst for improvement.

hmm, after watching episode 1 i can agree with the seiyuu choices. Only Rinko seems to fit although it is a bit like we've thousand times before.
The story hampers sometimes but not so bad that the comedy part suffers because of that.
Himari and Rinko were the best characters for me although i do hope that they gain some more depth.
It is a nice first episode and i am certainly going to give this series a chance. To compare it with Sora no Otoshimono is not an option i think. I would rather compare it with something like Nagasarete no Airantou, Ranma 1/2 or Nyan Koi (too much similarity...
sad.gif
). All very much harem orientated.

Well if you read the manga you would think it would turn out ot be something along the line of a monster girl harem plus the childhood friend. Although it does have a serious side to it.

Also, it seems they rushed a few chapters, but it might just be me.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back