My computer is running slow what steps can I do to fix it?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roowlinaaliew

My computer is running slow what steps can I do to fix it?

We would gladly help but due to suspicion of spam thread this thread will be close within 24 hours unless giving more information on the problem such as is it because of a virus since it usually the case when computer gotten slower.

Registering would help us know this thread wasnt created by a spam bot or other.

Simple answer: Reinstall windows.

While viruses could in fact slow down a computer we will assume you have adequate and updated virus protection and so this is not likely the problem unless you downloaded something from a suspicious place.

Windows normally gets bogged down after you install more and use your computer more as it has to remember what you did previously in order to "improve" your experience. Things like indexing of files on your computer, remembering what applications you used last, what files you last opened, caching of things is expects you to use and a variety of other things make it easier to use your computer but slow it down as the computer ages. The registry is especially prone to this.

Don't resort to that.

These are the tools you should try first (Free simple, easy)

Reset your computer into safe mode.

Combo fix! Helps with virus clean up as well as general os repair.
http://www.combofix.org/

clean up! Cleans out your old Temp files, Broswer cashe, and other things like that. Run this about every 2-3 months.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?Itemi...ntent&task=view

MalwareBytes. It does it job pretty well. Just remember to delete everything in quarantine.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

If all else fails, Format.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Jan 02 2010, 02:02 AM) Simple answer: Reinstall windows.

what about system restore?
if he were to restore his computer back to when it was still relatively new?

^ Nope, "system restore" only restores settings, but doesn't clean the system up.

Defragmenting the HDD once in a while is the key. Allows the system access files faster. Also, cleaning up temp files and the registry. Still, with, for example, XP, a fresh format-and-install is recommended every 1-1,5 years for best performance.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Jan 02 2010, 01:05 PM) Defragmenting the HDD once in a while is the key. Allows the system access files faster. Also, cleaning up temp files and the registry. Still, with, for example, XP, a fresh format-and-install is recommended every 1-1,5 years for best performance.
^this, when one deletes stuff from a computer whether it be from the recycle bin or directly, that data can still be restored if you know what your doing (without system restore). As a result, the only real ways to permanently delete that data is either via formatting or defragging the hard drive. These are the two key things. Defragging can take a while and be a pain to find a real good program since Windows defrag program has always sucked, but if you are able to find one, it will be worth your time, especially if you delete a lot of stuff from time to time.
I usually try to defrag once a month in order to keep things running smoothly since I'm running a laptop. This usually allows the laptop to run 4-6 years without problems. Otherwise, be prepared to notice a slowdown in the computer after maybe 2 or 3.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jan 02 2010, 02:54 PM) ^this, when one deletes stuff from a computer whether it be from the recycle bin or directly, that data can still be restored if you know what your doing (without system restore). As a result, the only real ways to permanently delete that data is either via formatting or defragging the hard drive. These are the two key things. Defragging can take a while and be a pain to find a real good program since Windows defrag program has always sucked, but if you are able to find one, it will be worth your time, especially if you delete a lot of stuff from time to time.
I usually try to defrag once a month in order to keep things running smoothly since I'm running a laptop. This usually allows the laptop to run 4-6 years without problems. Otherwise, be prepared to notice a slowdown in the computer after maybe 2 or 3.
defragging is only a valid step for regular HDD, if you have a SDD drive defragging is actually counter indicated... as it reduces the working life of the drive.

I agree if you have a "my system is running slow" with no actual indication of specs, usage,or background the fastest most accurate solution is "Full format + reinstal OS"

You could point out to the tweaking guides available for pretty much any OS, but if the EU is not able to provide some actual information chances are a tweaking guide and minimum system upkeep is too much to ask of him/her.

Topic closed under suspicion of spam. If the Original Poster would like this thread to be reopened, please create an account and PM one of the FansubTV Team or Sempais. We will be more than willing to do so.
Until then...
-closed-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back