Mononoke

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

jul10

-mokyu
Retired

Mononoke
モノノ怪

Premiere: 12 July 2007
Anime Producer: Toei Animation
Genre: supernatural, action
Official Website: Mononoke
Number of Episodes: 12
Synopsis (scrumptious blog):
The mysterious medicine seller in the 3rd arc of Ayakashi “Bakeneko” takes the lead role in this spin-off series, following his encounters with monsters from famous Japanese folkore as he uncovers its roots.

Because of too many awesome anime will be released this season, I think not many people notices this series. The art work is not really cool, and the pictures also are not interesting.

However, there are several factors that interests me in this anime. First, is the anime producer is toei animation, which is quite well known. Therefore, I would expect something extraordinary from this.

Second, is the story, which involving a mysterious medicine seller who hunts demons. This might be another series to be looked for. Lastly, as for the animation, I guess it is not possible that toei is disappointing us, they might have something in their sleeves. If the not, it does not means that bad animation is bad series right? For example Tokyo Majin, from last season, did not really a good animation, but that series was a huge success.

Jul10...not really....its actually quite popular and I've known about this for a while. Its a spin-off from Ayakashi~ Japanese Classic Horror (remember the wife who was killed by her husband, so that he could marry another woman and then she haunts him....thats one of the arcs and there are 2 more arcs to make it completely 11 episodes...it was pretty good)....this comes from the Bake Neko arc. Its gonna be really good and dark.
rolleyes.gif

BTW.....episode 01 got subbed by Shinsen-Subs (SHS) and I'm currently wondering if I should download the episode or not.
rolleyes.gif
Still waiting for Code Geass episodes 24 and 25 to be subbed.
rolleyes.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif

I was downloading it just now if shinsen is subbing it that's always a bonus for me. I went back and was downloading Ayakashi~ Japanese Classic Horror of course the seeds were really low so it may take a while. Hopefully not too long though since I have my computer working over time right now in a multi-tasking frenzy basically I'm working at a snail's pace right now. Might have to hold off on the Japense Classic Horror...I am wondering about the animation quality you can't really tell by that pic what your getting...

I for one, was awed by the animation of this series.....reminded me a little of "The Count of Monte Cristo." Well now, I will have to look at the previous series that led to this one.....Okay, off I go to download....Shinsen subs? I love them ...great!
laugh.gif

*Update*....I found a fansub site that has all 11 episodes for "Ayakashi Japanese Classic Horror"...not English though, Spanish....and as I am fluent...well.... another first for me! Gonna watch it subbed in Spanish.
laugh.gif

awwww i saw the Title "Mononoke" and went "OMG! Princess Mononoke!?"
but no... well, anyway im gonna try it out, and see if its worth it...

Well, what can I say? Another fave to my list as I love these type of "Edo period" Japanese stories..offbeat, unique and avant guarde in drawing style, animation quality, music and overall storyline. Beautiful.....the OP reminded a little of Red Garden, something senpapi-kun will relate to when he gets around to watching this one..... The closing song was just as nice. The Medicine Man/Seller...so mysterious...so sexy and what a voice! Can't wait for eppy numero 2!
laugh.gif

hm the style is and eye catcher, the ways they speak is very new to me. the style of the characters are all different in there owne way, the mysterious and funny start was interesting, i like it so far, this kinda stuff always has somthing new people can learn from, like " Ayakashi japanese horror stories" there were very interesting and touching things about it >=) i cant wait to see more ^___^

Well , lets see ??? where do i start ?
blink.gif
wacko.gif
If you want a truly original art form and a UNIQUE experience go for it !! download it NOWW!!!

As others have said Eye catching and changing paterns every few moments !
My favorite is the bodies with no faces , but lil umbrellas spinning instead !!
biggrin.gif

Once i got past the initial visuals , i got a bit more into the story ! That medicine seller .... He seems to be a kewl dude to be with, quiet , calm and collected , few words and the type people listen to when he speaks!
seems to choose his words very carefully !

I am not sure whats going to happen NEXT in this but i LOVVVVEE that cool sword or what ever it is !!
wub.gif
Initially i saw Mononoke ....and remembered the Princess Mononoke ~~ and the viscious virus thing ~! Horror japanese style !! alright !!!!!!!
laugh.gif

This series is like watching moving ukiyoe. i'm not normally a fan of the flash animation style, but it really works here since the characters are almost moving through pages of a book.

quick question for those who've watched the second episode: does she lose the baby or not? that whole exchange between herself and the child made it seem as if she had, but at the end she was sleeping pretty peacefully like nothing really traumatic had happened. so i was unclear as to if she had lost the baby she was carrying or if it happened that she just wasn't able to carry the mononoke as well. or maybe it was both. any ideas?

i think this series might be pretty interesting and i'm looking forward to what they do next.

QUOTE (chindogu @ Aug 04 2007, 08:49 AM) This series is like watching moving ukiyoe. i'm not normally a fan of the flash animation style, but it really works here since the characters are almost moving through pages of a book.

quick question for those who've watched the second episode: does she lose the baby or not? that whole exchange between herself and the child made it seem as if she had, but at the end she was sleeping pretty peacefully like nothing really traumatic had happened. so i was unclear as to if she had lost the baby she was carrying or if it happened that she just wasn't able to carry the mononoke as well. or maybe it was both. any ideas?

i think this series might be pretty interesting and i'm looking forward to what they do next.
Well....it seems that maybe she lost the baby but then again....the Mononoke that wanted to take her body, was consoled by her when she said it could use her.....remember the look of shock on the Medicine Seller's face? It was a nice ending though, because she was able to make it all go away by her love of them all...the babies aborted there, in that former brothel, who were haunting the place. And yet, she still looked pregnant at the end of the episode....ah..we shall see....I am currently downloading episode 3 as I type this. I really like the unique style of this anime....storyline, music, and characters.....the drawing style... very unique...ah, just repeated myself again!
laugh.gif

well i just finished watching all the first 3 eps

first of all, the animation is borderline.....at times it is absolutely magnificent...the colours and the designs are so beautiful...and at times it is absolutely ugly...sometimes the people are in all honesty really ugly...it varies...but one thing is for sure is that the animation is quite eccentric and unique...i think it reflects the atmosphere that is trying to be created with this series...it reminds me of sayonara zetsubou sensei with its different animation style, but much more eccentric in that sense

well what do they say about genius'? that they are borderline between sane and insane....that's the feel i get with this series...it's absolutely brilliant! and it's borderline between the two! it's horror theme reminds me of xxxholic a bit

ep03 was so so good...the whole ship thing and the ayakashi...i wonder who changed the compass direction *dun dun dun*....and the samurai dude freaks me out.....im so looking forward to ep04!

i was actually really surprised by this series. when i first started watching it the animation threw me off, but I decided to give it a chance and am VERY glad i did. The medicine seller's character is very refreshing and unique.

yeah so i just saw episode 4- i have to say that it was friggin awesome! ahhhh..it was so intense- finding out everybody's fears...ha ha that guy was afraid of pastries....still kinda confused on the diff between mononoke and ayakashi's....but the ending ended on a cliffie..i was like.."noooooooo" i wonder what the form/truth of the mononoke is? im so excited! =)

this series is pure genius! i love it

QUOTE (xxanime_junkyxx @ Aug 20 2007, 04:26 PM) yeah so i just saw episode 4- i have to say that it was friggin awesome! ahhhh..it was so intense- finding out everybody's fears...ha ha that guy was afraid of pastries....still kinda confused on the diff between mononoke and ayakashi's....but the ending ended on a cliffie..i was like.."noooooooo" i wonder what the form/truth of the mononoke is? im so excited! =)

this series is pure genius! i love it
Ah.......episode 4 out and I cannot watch it until I get home...well, may try and take a sneak peak....glad you like the show...it is a beauty...warts and all!
laugh.gif

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Aug 21 2007, 02:19 AM) Ah.......episode 4 out and I cannot watch it until I get home...well, may try and take a sneak peak....glad you like the show...it is a beauty...warts and all!
laugh.gif

....ahh the waiting.....its the worst isn't it? hate it when that happens
dry.gif

I just finished the 2nd story and it was great!!!

I think this series is this seasons favorite! The "kusuriya" relishing the "makoto" was very impressive indeed! I only wish it would have lasted longer HAHAHAHA!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

The art is still so beautifull and the characters so brutally real! I like that part the most!

Have you noticed Klimt`s painting "the kiss" that was constanty appearing on this story? I thought that the mangaka/animator style looked a lot like klimts work and that makes me wonder if he is paying a tribune to the artist...

The stories keep on bringing very dirty aspects of life... A rich man kidnapping a girl to use her for his sexual appetites and then pass her to his son... A brothel that used a room for abortions... The incest love between brother and sister....
Not easy stories to work with... But very enjoyable to watch....
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

heh, my personal favorite this season. Glad to hear that someone(and not only me) is watching it too. Honestly, I, since "ayakashi~ Japanese classic horror's" BakeNeko arc, thought that there WILL be more stuff with this character. At first i had my doubts on if they will be able to retain the briliance of that arc. Now I see that they did. The first arc was good, but the second one was better.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Aug 26 2007, 12:07 AM) heh, my personal favorite this season. Glad to hear that someone(and not only me) is watching it too. Honestly, I, since "ayakashi~ Japanese classic horror's" BakeNeko arc, thought that there WILL be more stuff with this character. At first i had my doubts on if they will be able to retain the briliance of that arc. Now I see that they did. The first arc was good, but the second one was better.
I could not agree with you more.....very good all around....gonna keep this one for sure. There are several of us watching, we just don't post all the time.....
wink.gif
I still have a crush on the Mysterious Medicine Seller.
laugh.gif

I just started to watch Mononoke and have viewed the first story arc. It is very different from any anime that I have ever seen before. The style of animation is quite unusual. Many of the characters are extremely grotesque and this is starkly contrasted with some lovely, artistic, patterns and beautiful music. The first story was rather disturbing and I anticipate that Mononoke will deal with quite a number of difficult issues. One of the key elements appears to be the breaking of silence and the revelation of truth. The true horror is not the monsters but the people who create them. What is examined is the ugly underbelly of society. I think that the argument is that the past will corrupt the present if it is not confronted.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back