Mokke

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

jul10

-mokyu
Retired

Mokke
もっけ

Genre: Fantasy, Supernatural, Mystery
Premier: October 2007
Animation Production: Madhouse
Synopsis (from Star Cross Anime Blog):
A fantastic story about two sisters. Shizuru is a high school student who can see monsters which ordinary people can’t, while her little sister, Mizuki, is easily haunted by these monsters. They are living with their grandfather’s home separately from their parents because of their abilities. The theme for each story is not horror-centric, but rather, of a heart-warming nature.

For Mokke's anime first look and characters introduction, you can see this website: Click Here

Manga Covers:

Another anime adapted from manga. >o< Shizuru ability remind me of Shiki's ability from Tsukihime, but again I would expect something from this series since the story looks interesting, and madhouse is handling the animation..yay...

Original Creator: Kumakura Takatoshi

Its serialized in Kodansha's "Afternoon" magazine since 2002 and only 6 volumes have been released so far and its still on-going.
rolleyes.gif
AMG, Eden, Genshiken, Mushishi, Tokko manga are serialized in this magazine as well.
rolleyes.gif

Never read it....sounds interesting but it doesn't really excite me......and hmmmmmmmmmm *NO* way does this Shizuru's ability even compare to Shiki's eyes from Tsukihime.......seriously, NO WAY!!!!
wink.gif

The idea of the sister's being seperated from the parents due to their abilities only reminds me of the brothers of Night Head Genesis and I think many will agree with this comment. XDDD
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif

One chapter got scanlated of this manga back in March....never really bothered to download it...actually I don't no where to download this, I can only find the torrent for it at mangaupdates.
wink.gif

A supernatural heart warming sister story? Umm yeah sorry but this doesn't sound that appeasing. I like horror and or random deaths X freaky moments with my supernaturals not hurt warming feel goods...sounds very disney to me i'll put this one on the "Ehh I'll try it but I'm expecting absolutely nothing list" probably best to keep expectations really low with this one so any pleasant shockers will be a bonus...

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Aug 07 2007, 04:29 PM) The idea of the sister's being seperated from the parents due to their abilities only reminds me of the brothers of Night Head Genesis and I think many will agree with this comment. XDDD
laugh.gif
rolleyes.gif

i thought the same thing when i read that too! i was like- "night head genesis!?"...but yeah..i agree, doesn't really sound like much, "heart-warming goodness"....yeah......ill give it a try though, who knows, maybe it'll surprise me
rolleyes.gif

♣
blink.gif
♣
~So far everyone that has comented has a preconseved notion that its a action/horrer show and should be compaired with that genre. That kind of atitude bugs the heck out of me!
~As for me, I like a good anime drama with a talerable amount of fluff. Dosnt matter to me if its mecha, midevil, action, sports, romance, horror....so on.
From my perspective the show looks like its well animated,but thats all I can say scence, I havent watched the show yet!

I was simply in the mood to watch a newly released anime during my break at work (I love my iPod!) and this one caught my eye. It was a pleasant enough viewing being fairly easy on the eyes, ears and brain. At this stage, there isn't a great deal of depth to Mokke. Essentially, two sisters who have the ability to perceive monsters live with their Grandparents. The first episode simply introduced the characters and presented some of the challenges that having such a "gift" can pose. Overall, it is not exactly stunning but makes for a relatively relaxing diversion. I will certainly try the next episode when it is released in order to see how the story and characters are developed.

When I heard of a new anime about two girls with ability to see supernatural entities living with their grandparents in the countryside, which was said to have similar atmosphere to My Neighbor Totoro, I just had to give it a shot. The fist half wasn't much because of all the introduction of characters but then the Totoro-ish atmosphere kicked in.
I must agree. It is something like totoro - two sisters living in a supernatural world of wonders. But it still goes in a little different direction then Miyazaki's masterpiece.
I can't judge the series from the first episode, but I guess what we have here is a heartwarming series of unconnected episodes about the strength of friendship with a little supernatural and a lot of beautiful rural Japan. But will it be enough to make the rest of the series as good as the promising first episode?

Don't expect any deep story or character psychology. Just sit down and enjoy the atmosphere as long as it lasts.

QUOTE (bombush @ Oct 10 2007, 04:34 AM) I can't judge the series from the first episode, but I guess what we have here is a heartwarming series of unconnected episodes about the strength of friendship with a little supernatural and a lot of beautiful rural Japan. But will it be enough to make the rest of the series as good as the promising first episode?

Don't expect any deep story or character psychology. Just sit down and enjoy the atmosphere as long as it lasts.
yeah i agree as well, i don't think the story is going to be very deep or there's going to be some creative genius story behind it, but the atmosphere that was created- sunny rural japan, two sisters watching out for each other, built such a cute and warm atmosphere you can't help but feel happy after you see it lol

not expecting much in terms of plot, but hey, at least it makes you feel happy!
tongue.gif

and was i the only one that was reminded of Night Head Genesis? the whole "psychological" powers thing, living away from home cuz their parents can't take care of them, the elder sibling worried sick about the younger one....obviously NHG was much, much darker than this...but still....there is some resemblence

i believe everyone that is watching this, is waiting to find out what excactly are these so called "spirital powers" but since it was only the first episode we just got (location wise) and who are the primary people of the show, we will have to wait and see if this will go down with a good patch or dark path, but at least the sisters are good, and the artwork of them was good too, so unless it gets too silly, i put this on my Fall 07 Season watch list also!!!!!

QUOTE (johnjefferson3) i believe everyone that is watching this, is waiting to find out what excactly are these so called "spirital powers"
Well, to be frank I didn't think about it much. I can imagine anything from genetic mutation to some wizard ancestor - I guess some things might be better left unfolded. I'm a little afraid that some kind of explanation only for the sake of explanation could ruin the story but if the origin of those powers won't be too cheesy it could make for an interesting storyline.

Again, we'll see with the next bunch of episodes. Can't wait how they'll cope with the "sketchbook phantom"...

I just saw the first episode and liked the storyline...nothing heavy or complicated but hey, it is just the beginning. Yes, a beautiful and bright Japanese country side....with a darkness that lurks behind that beauty which only the sisters can see, though in different ways. I am glad Grampy is there to lend a hand....perhaps, as the series develops, the girls will not need his assistance?....we shall see.

I love the atmosphere in this show.. it is just so calm.. it makes me want to move to the countryside in Japan
smile.gif

I enjoyed the first episode, it is heartwarming... I think I'll follow this one as well and learn more about nature (the 7 flowers of autumn, never heard of that before...) and ghosts..

::edit:: I also wanted to add that, I liked how Shizuru looked down on the Mikoshi, and in turn it also became smaller... until she could see over it and then she said 'I'm looking over you' and it disappeared... kind of made me think of fears.. how sometimes in our heads we make them so big and huge that they seem impossible to overcome... but all we have to do is face it, and realize that we are the ones making it bigger than they are in reality...

QUOTE (julezia @ Oct 19 2007, 12:59 PM) ::edit:: I also wanted to add that, I liked how Shizuru looked down on the Mikoshi, and in turn it also became smaller... until she could see over it and then she said 'I'm looking over you' and it disappeared... kind of made me think of fears.. how sometimes in our heads we make them so big and huge that they seem impossible to overcome... but all we have to do is face it, and realize that we are the ones making it bigger than they are in reality...
Very well said dear fangirl.....
wink.gif
I am glad she heard her grandfather's wise words, in those moments, when she was facing the Mikoshi, and her little sister's life was in danger....to face one's fears and to have the wherewithal to over come them despite ourselves, is noble indeed. I admired Shizuru for that and now, I'm sure, it has given her new resolve to tackle even greater darkness when it heads their way. I too, will be following this one....

Just finished watching episode2, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it! I was thinking that this series was too slow for me and that there might not be enough depth for me to stay hooked to this series. Though after watching this episode I think I have changed my mind (for now, who knows what the future will bring). This was a really cute episode, and it was really touching. Especially the ending when she yelled out "Thank you!" and asked the Ishuzan (is that the right word? i dont remember lol) to come again to eat confeito. I really did enjoy this episode...made me feel all happy =)

The second episode was more fun then the first, Mizuki being possessed by the Izuna and the Izuna providing some funny insight and commentary throughout the episode. It was heartwarming, just like the first one though...like when Mizuki shouted thank you! and that she hopes that she can be real friends with the Izuna next time, like AJ mentioned... it was just so sweet.
I really like the scenery in this show, and learning about different spirits in japanese folklore

QUOTE (julezia @ Oct 23 2007, 05:25 AM) I really like the scenery in this show, and learning about different spirits in japanese folklore
Yeah I really did learn a bit about Japenese folkore as well. I mean, I've always found it quite interesting, and the fact that they were able to give a little bit of information made this episode interesting. All the different types of demons/spirits or whatever they're called will perhaps be discussed further as the series progresses.

WARNING: There might be some spoilers related to the appearance and function of spirits encountered later in the series.

I was thinking that the spirits shown in Mokke might be just the creators' imagination for a while. So I decided to dig out some information about japanese ghosts/spirits (Obakemono). Looks like both Izuna and Mikoshi are spirits which appear in the actual japanese mythology. And what are they according to it?

Mikoshi Mikoshi/Mikoshi-nyuudou (見越/見越し入道)
Nyuudou is a kind of youkai(demon/spirit), which looks like a
young wandering Buddhist priest. You can encounter him at lonely roads. If you
look at him, he starts to grow - the higher you look, the higher he grows. You can get rid of him by shouting "Mikoshita!" or "Minuita!" which means "I've seen over you/through you".
Mikoshi according to a famous Edo period (1603-1968) artist Toriyama Sekien.

Izuna Izuna, Kudagitsune (飯綱, 管狐)
Izuna is a type of fox-magic used by a cult worshipping a tengu named Izuna-gongen. It is also a word reffering to the actual kudagitsune.
Kudagitsune is a word created by combination of Kanji characters for a fox and a tube.
Kudagitsune is a spirit looking like a fox of size of a mouse. It can be summoned by a sorcerer into, or can possess a bamboo tube. If controlled by its summoner it can answer any question it is asked. It also likes miso (soybean paste) a lot so it can make the possessed people eat miso all the day. If taken out of its tube, it can make a lot of misfortunes to the possessed person and his village.
Another version of izuna/kudagitsune coming from the Shinano province is a mouse sized creature with its tail looking like a tube cut in half. It can be tamed and kept in a pocket or sleeve, and uses its supernatural power to seek out assorted information which it then whispers to its master. A person who keeps it is thus able to see into both the past and future. (wiki)
Kanko(管狐) is another way the kudagitsune is called.

That’s about it. There are a lot of information contrary to each other because people in each province imagines a little different versions of every youkai. There are even at least two versions of the famous Tanabata (version2) story.

The Obakemono Project

EDIT: various links

Oh....that Izuna god is a rascal eh? Loved the voice and the music played, every time he spoke......and little Mizuki, getting annoyed with him at first....the test in class was hilarious and then she was able to help a friend because of him....bombush,...thanks for the information provided...A hamster indeed! That was so cute. Ah...this anime series is just too good....I am enjoying it.
laugh.gif
Now, for episode 3.....Shizuru, and her abilities to see spirits/demons....now, we meet an Okurimono....something that walks a person home. Won't spoil it anymore as some may have not watched episode 3 yet.
wink.gif

Just saw episode 3. I have to admit, that as this series progresses, it just keeps getting better and better. Actually, I found this episode to be darker compared to its previous 2- it made me feel nostalgic- reminded me of xxxholic so much XD. I really did like this episode, especially with the boy who was being followed by the Okurimono. The whole thing about how he was afraid of falling while he was walking- it was really deep. It reminded me of myself and how I am so obsessed with "falling" as well in that sense. I can see this series really gaining alot of potential if itkeeps up with such a storyline.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back