.mkv files on a video dvd?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.
My DVD-player CAN play 720p MKV movies. However there is a serious loss in quality! When putting a 4,5gb 720p MKV-movie the quality is nowhere near HD, it's infact closer to what you would get from an avrage 700 mb .avi movie.

However when playing on my computer it's true 720p. It's a Philips HTS3357 dvd player with HDMI, i guess they have some kind of built in converter.

P.S i burned the MKV video in Nero 8 as a data file onto a DVD disc.

old topic, thread closed

QUOTE (Harukalover @ Jan 21 2009, 09:18 PM) /me wonders what makes that lock topic button such a hot item among the mods here...
It's because this problem is presumed solved since the topic has essentially been left untouched for over 4 months. If the problem arises, the user could/should pm a mod or simply create a new topic.....at least that's I've seen done pretty much every time now (we don't always lock the topics though since we're lazy XD)
It's also to prevent spam posts like from the guest above

When said user posted I was going to suggest that he try converting the file to a divx avi since as far as I've read the HTS3357 does NOT work with MKV files. I also didn't see anything about h264 being supported. This is probably why there was such a large loss in quality: It wasn't fully compatible with all the features the file used.

I think Kit was somewhat right to close the thread but he should have at least waited until the person was properly addressed and told why they were being shunned.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Jan 21 2009, 10:39 PM) I think Kit was somewhat right to close the thread but he should have at least waited until the person was properly addressed and told why they were being shunned.
eh....the original problem was addressed in 2007...and the user hasn't posted on the forums since July 2007, hence why I thought it was more than enough appropriate to close. However, if you guys feel it deserves to stay open, be my guest.

If you look back throughout the thread you will see many different people conversing and asking questions. Would it not be easier to have a single thread where people can talk about mkv files on dvd players rather than having each person open another one? I thought if there was already a topic about a subject that we wanted them to post in that topic. Of course this usually is not the case for help threads as every problem is different.

What I meant was that we should at least give people a reason why we close a thread before doing so. Just because a thread hasn't been posted in for a while doesn't mean that there is no interest in said topic. It may just mean that nothing significant has happened in the meantime that needed to be discussed.

I don't mean to overturn your judgment and I do not intend to go over your head as I'm new enough to the whole mod thing that the "unwritten code" of moderating on this forum is not yet fully known to me. If you still feel like this thread should be locked pm Harukalover and see if you can both agree or come to some compromise.

QUOTE (EricAnimeFreak @ Jun 06 2008, 04:31 PM) What, has nobody on this forum heard of WINAVI? it works perfectly, it can convert a whole series of 13 epsiodes onto 1 dvd disc with great quality! don't beleive me? well i have 4 differnt DVDs i made ussing WINAVI and DVD-lab Pro on [removed].

Hope that helps.
WinDVD is not that bad, but it doesn't support subtitles. ConvertXtoDVD supports subtitles in SRT, Sub/idx format, matroska's built-in subtitles, ssa (sub station alpha), ...
It works best with srt, sub/idx, and built-in subtitles.

MKV can be remuxed to contain a single audio and subtitle "track". And it can be renamed into mp4 (this way it works in powerDVD).

Remuxed and renamed this way it can be played on PS3 or XBOX360.

For XBOX360 remuxed and renamed file should not have DTS audio, only AC3 (preferably downmixed to 2 channels)

MKV is an ideal container for BluRay rips (it keeps a lot of quality)

Most MKV files have video bitrates higher than DVD-video, and resolutions definitively higher than DVD-video

PS: Why would anyone want to watch Full HD video (mkv, or matroska, is actually that) on a player that does not support Full HD. It works great with new Radeons with Ati AVIVO hardware acceleration on most newer PC's

yes mkv files work in a dvix dvdplayer, works for me and ive got a cheep samsung dvd player
tongue.gif

hey dave, do you experience the same issue as 1684654randomnr? that you dvd player actually converts the mkv files... do you see a quality loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back