Megaupload Shutdown

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
I have been a DDL'er for a long time and it has never been so hard to find files now. One popular site that I used, had the Fileserve links removed. They could have been affected by the rewards program.

So, I attempted to go to one of the alternate sites called "uploaded" and I was faced by a "you are connecting from a country we do not allow download from".. something to that effect. I had to load up my VPN to get by the block.

Plus I have noticed that Fileserve is getting very aggressive on "anime" files and are deleting them very quickly as they are posted. Some of the files are still not getting noticed yet.

I could be wrong but I believe that alot of DDL sites are going to start blocking any computers that originate from the US.

Do you guys believe that DDL sites may do this to protect themselves?

BL

just to let you know guys I noticed today a banner appears in the MU site and any link related to it, I prefer not to show the image here so here goes the link: http://www.megaupload.com/banner.jpg ...maybe you already saw it so let me know if it's not a good idea to post the link, in that case I'll edit and remove it or if it's better not to talk about it

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jan 22 2012, 09:29 AM) Now this video is incredibly enlighting, I had no idea about this..... I am simply speechless!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUlQGdP7Wow...player_embedded
Now, I'm a little worried but then again I don't use Limewire or any other p2p client or even fre@king torrents.
wink.gif

@blanmgr - I usually use obscure sites and there links tend to stay but I just checked a popular site now and noticed that their links are getting deleted pretty quickly now.

Why did this have to happen??
dry.gif

I'm now even more curious with the notion of "World will End in 2012" according to the Mayans. It doesn't necessarily mean the real world....it could mean the Internet. Imagine life with no internet? That is one of my nightmares. Why do the some of these US politicians have to be douchebags? They are WORSE than Ishihara.
blink.gif

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jan 20 2012, 01:35 AM)Music: people blame piracy for the lack of CD sales. I think it's more of an issue that you have iTunes and Amazon music now that really carry the weight here. There is little to no incentive to buy music CDs anymore and have them simply gather dust on a shelf.
Exactly. The industry refuses to acknowledge that the world has changed and they need to change their strategy along with it. The new generation of consumers is by and large, not interested in physical copies. The industry could solve so many issues if it invested the time and money to make content available online either for free or at a reasonable price. People will use the legal streams if it's made available to them, but you have to make it available. I've stopped downloading a lot over the past year because the shows I'm interested in were made available for free online.

One of my popular DDL sites posted this to their users (It is getting bad out there)....

Filehosts on main site - Yesterday, 09:19 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People have been going wild on the main page that why uploader X isn't uploading on their favorite host Y. It's about time we make things clear.

Ever since Megaupload has been taken down and the staff were arrested, all the other filehosts have been more cautious. They're massively deleting files and accounts, shutting down various features like hot linking, affiliate programs etc. They're even going as far as to banning the entire country from access their sites (namely, US). Here are a few examples: Fileserve has started deleting accounts, and Uploaded.to has blocked US ips from accessing the site.

That clears the confusion about why certain hosts aren't being uploaded. Now comes the question that would an uploader upload to certain hosts? The thing is, I personally would love to upload to Medafire as people are suggesting, but they don't allow free users to upload more than 200MB, the file space isn't much so the files won't last longer... and most of all, they don't support FTP uploads (which, in my case is the only way to upload from Linux).

Also a heads up: There's a scam site claiming to be a replacement/real Megaupload. Do NOT go on that site. It's fake for starters. And from what I can see, it is running a background malware of some kind which is similar to LOIC, a DDOS tool used to attack sites. To dumb it down, you will be used to attack sites like FBI etc using that malware (if it really is LOIC). Even if it isn't, that site's fake, you have nothing to do there.

Hope this will clear out all the confusions.

EDIT: And down goes Filesonic as well. They have started deleting files and I can't upload from FTP nor any other option. R.I.P.

It is getting bad out there especially for people from the US.

I hope this is ok to post. I had found this list on one of my DDL sites but here is the update so far on DDL sites...

Updated list (for now) nicked from another site:

FilePost: Alive, Started suspending accounts with infringing material

Fileserve: Alive, closed affiliate program, banning uploaders en masse.

Filesonic: Dead. Closed affiliate program. Only uploaders can retrieve their files.

Hotfile: Alive

Mediafire: Alive

Megaupload: Dead, pending lawsuit from US federal government.

Oron: Alive

Rapidshare: Alive

Uploaded.to: Alive but blocking US traffic

WUpload: Alive, closed affiliate program before Megaupload fiasco citing financial reasons.

VideoBB
Closed affiliate program.

VideoZer

4shared
Deleting multiple files.

*sigh* And so the wait for getting files have just increased now. not only that, but I think some people are upset over how MegaUpload wehnt down the day after the protest kind of felt like this was planned by the FBI in a way. Although, when something like this happens... well let's just say that people on the interent tend not to think things though at times and things like this eventually happen.

What makes things even worse is how it is now somewhat next to impossible to find any of the old school anime series that I was planning to check out again, and I'm now back to a long wait over certain sub groups for certain series as well.

Besides it's like some files are posted up, and then suddenly taken down the very next day it would seem.
dry.gif

*sigh* It looks like it's going to be that kind of year, but I wasn't going to expect it to happen from the getgo mind you.
sleep.gif

QUOTE (blanmgr @ Jan 22 2012, 04:27 PM) I hope this is ok to post. I had found this list on one of my DDL sites but here is the update so far on DDL sites...

Updated list (for now) nicked from another site:

FilePost: Alive, Started suspending accounts with infringing material

Fileserve: Alive, closed affiliate program, banning uploaders en masse.

Filesonic: Dead. Closed affiliate program. Only uploaders can retrieve their files.

Hotfile: Alive

Mediafire: Alive

Megaupload: Dead, pending lawsuit from US federal government.

Oron: Alive

Rapidshare: Alive

Uploaded.to: Alive but blocking US traffic

WUpload: Alive, closed affiliate program before Megaupload fiasco citing financial reasons.

VideoBB

VideoZer

4shared
Deleting multiple files.

Here's the thing, blocking US is one thing, but tech savvy people will know how to get around it and still leech off of it. What it does, however, is it does protect the site from having US government shut it down, so long as there are no servers within the US borders.

To be honest, the main sites I really care for are Fileserve, rapidshare, mediafire, and hotfile. Other sites usually don't have as good of a bandwidth or the reputation except maybe filesonic. Filesonic looks like it may be doing a dropbox type thing, but I'm not sure at the moment.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jan 23 2012, 01:07 AM) Fileserve, rapidshare, mediafire, and hotfile
Out of those 4, I'm only using rapidshare for the time being but not a lot of things are uploaded to that site anyway, just a few things here and there. Just when I wanted to watch a few anime series.
dry.gif

I guess I'll be spending my spare time watching foreign movies at Netflix.
rolleyes.gif

Update,

I just been informed that Mediafire has started deleting files (shared or not shared, copyrighted or not copyrighted) and accounts with no warning.
mad.gif

BL

What happened to Filesonic has proven a shock to me, I knew that it could happen but not this fast. I used filesonic a lot and it's annoying when so many things are uploaded to it.
mad.gif

Things are so bad that I have went old school...

I had to dust off the XDCC commands and go IRC. DDL'ing is horrible with the last remaining sites and torrent speeds (on VPN) on some hosts are just as bad.

BL
dry.gif

QUOTE (blanmgr @ Jan 23 2012, 04:15 AM) Update,

I just been informed that Mediafire has started deleting files (shared or not shared, copyrighted or not copyrighted) and accounts with no warning.
mad.gif

BL
You're serious oO? Mediafire really is starting to delete files ? Maaan this is very very very bad !!! They should stay strong instead of collapsing one by one because of MegaUplodad shutdown...

With a friend of mine, we were joking about going to a renting cd shop again and using nero to burn the CD (xD) but...it seems this time is coming sooner that expected...

QUOTE (blanmgr @ Jan 22 2012, 11:50 PM)Things are so bad that I have went old school...
I had to dust off the XDCC commands and go IRC.
Same here...

QUOTE (blanmgr @ Jan 23 2012, 02:50 PM) Things are so bad that I have went old school...

I had to dust off the XDCC commands and go IRC.  DDL'ing is horrible with the last remaining sites and torrent speeds (on VPN) on some hosts are just as bad.

BL 
dry.gif

Dear lord it feels like an actual war already, were bunkering up or something...

Ahem~

Meanwhile in other news, Anon has Nuked CBS, Universal Music and Vivendi
http://gizmodo.com/5878238/anonymous-delet...om?popular=true

Excuse me but I CAN'T help but ROFLCOPTER-ing

QUOTE (JCDRANZER)I'm now even more curious with the notion of "World will End in 2012" according to the Mayans. It doesn't necessarily mean the real world....it could mean the Internet. Imagine life with no internet? That is one of my nightmares. Why do the some of these US politicians have to be douchebags? They are WORSE than Ishihara

Don't worry you're not the only one, the great minds of the internet and Conspiracy Keanu already thought that too xD

newbitmapimageen.png

Quoting The maker of the picture from KnowYourMeme.com

QUOTE (sting_auer)What if the end of the internet triggers the end of the world?

LOL

I would use IRC all the time but at university, I have a 30GB limit quota per month, when I use file-sharing sites my quota is never used up but when I do some xdcc-ing it does.
dry.gif

I haven't used my 30GB this month, so I'm going to start stocking up before the end of the month.
rolleyes.gif

So as of this morning, Fileserve has been mass deleting files and using a new file-check system to block re-uploading of banned/deleted content. According to Hiryuu, Uploadstation is doing something similar as well as blocking US IPs to some degree and apparently Filesonic is also owned by Fileserve.

In other news, anyone think this site is a scam to replace megaupload? http://www.anonyupload.com/

Anyways, it seems IRC and torrents are going to be the way to go now. DDL is completely dead as far as I'm concerned unless it's like FTV where everything is hosted on site.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back