Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Kid-Wolf

~ Azur Lane Hunter ~
Staff member
Leader Council
Info:

Type: TV
Episodes: 12
Producer: Arms
Genres: Adventure, Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

After a long and treacherous journey, our Hero finally arrives at the Dark Lady's castle only to find himself being asked for help. The Hero explains how the war that the demons have brought upon the humans have killed thousands and put more in misery. The queen of demons however argues that this war has made the human society band together as one and showed empirical evidence how it has increased population, increased production, boosted economy and improved society overall. Furthermore, she explains to the Hero that ending this war will result in a civil war that will produce more bloodshed than there ever was. The Hero, convinced that the only way to bring peace, relatively speaking, is to join forces with the Dark Lady, agrees to help with her plans!

Wolfie's Sense:

Okay all I can say is after watching the first episode I get your typical JRPG kind of deal with hunting down the Demon Lord here, but then it takes a turn to where it feels like it may turn out to be like Spice & Wolf. So with enjoying that series I might actually like this one as well.
tongue.gif

Attachments

• 40587.jpg
    40587.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 130
I've been looking forward to this one.

The Demon Queen is quite the character, and I love how what I've seen of this story deconstructs the hero vs demon king trope.

I like how the anime adaptation introduces most of the characters early, without dwelling on who they are, as a way to describe what in the original book and manga adaptations is delivered purely by narrative, that was a really nice touch. I couldn't keep reading the original book for how it's written. (as a pure dialog script.), but I really like how the adaptations make the story come to life.

And the Demon Queen- even with an overembellished body like that- somehow through acts of pure geekery- manages to come off as more "cute" than "attractive". It's odd, but neat.

Also, props to the music team for the oldschool DraQue vibe this show's music has.

Yeah, I've been eyeing this for a while. I wonder if this series will produce a better story than what Superior and it's sequel manga did.

I've heard the series is only going to be 1-cour (12-13 episodes long), I wish it would be longer.

I'm not sure whether to start watching this series right now or let it build up some episodes like I'm currently doing with most series these days, I used to be a week-by-week guy but when I do it, I often jump into the manga and read as much of it as I can.
wink.gif

Erm...well that was a weird for me.

Can someone explain what the demon king/hero plan is?

QUOTE (franzoir @ Jan 05 2013, 09:28 AM) Erm...well that was a weird for me.

Can someone explain what the demon king/hero plan is?

Hell no, sorry man but i dont want to spoil you what is probably one of the best planned scripts of the decade. Read the manga, its worthwile, and the character design for Maou is much better there.

Please read it, the summaries can probably tell you everything but just go ahead and read it
smile.gif

Also: KITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, at last the first episode is here
biggrin.gif
, im glad its of this version too !!!

Hmm... the first ep to me was terribly confusing to me.

Why did the hero join the DK?

Pretty much the hero went to end the war with the demons, but comes to find out that would start the civil war for humanity.

Pretty much it's kind of following the synopsis that I've found, but from the looks of it I feel like the Demon Lord is more then what she says she is. I have my specualtions of her as of now, but I prefer not to guess about it as of yet.
tongue.gif

One of the very few series this season that actually seemed interesting to me. Outside of Chihayafuru 2 everything else seemed rather lackluster, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Ok after looking at the wikipedia synopsis, I understand why the hero joined the DK.

So ep 1 was ok I guess but the dialogue in the second half for me was just nonsensical.

Ultimately, I hope the show focuses on the agenda at hand because that is what im interested in. I hope it doesnt get too distracted with the Boing! and love at first sight thing. I already find that annoying. The fact that it is 12 eps is a good sign. Not much time for fluff within that schedule.

Also need to be careful with how they boil down economics to suit the allusions they are making. If it was true we would be on about WW6 by now.

A nice enough first episode but indeed some parts were confusing at first. The demon king sure is a bit of a ditzy girl but she seems to hide things...The group of the hero will probably not accept her as easily.
Spice and wolf does seem to be a good comparison. I hope this series can be as good as that series.

Great first episode.

The main characters, even though not much of them has been shown in terms of character yet, do seem interesting and overall setting and tone of the anime is unique enough to be enjoyable too.

Soundtrack-wise the oppening is bad bad bad bad. Visually decent, but the OP song is amongst the more generic and boring ones. The ED song on other hand is brilliant, yet lacks any good visuals.

Story-wise I am fairly convinced that "The demons" are just far-future humans who have colonized a new world(be it a planet or parallel dimension), with the "Humans" being the natives of that world and the "destroyed world" Demon King talked about being the Original Earth.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Jan 05 2013, 01:01 PM) Also need to be careful with how they boil down economics to suit the allusions they are making. If it was true we would be on about WW6 by now.
We are not at that simply because a world war is not exactly economically viable right now, but countries continue to try to and profit from smaller wars, but let's not get it into the politics and stuff.
QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jan 05 2013, 03:37 PM)A nice enough first episode but indeed some parts were confusing at first. The demon king sure is a bit of a ditzy girl but she seems to hide things...The group of the hero will probably not accept her as easily.
Spice and wolf does seem to be a good comparison. I hope this series can be as good as that series.

Not seeing anything really ditzy about her in the normal sense of the word - she seems to be quite intelligent and well-versed in the worldy matters, but at the same time seems to be a closet-wishy_washy_romantic.

Second episode was ok. Again nothing really grabbing me so far.

I enjoyed the painted backgrounds though.

Unless I'm behind on the news, how has no one mentioned that the two leads are voiced by the same two who do Lawrence (Jun Fukuyama) and Holo (Ami Koshimizu) in Spice and Wolf? I should also note that we have the same director on board for this show.

First couple episodes are okay but lacks the more intriguing logic and comprehensible setup that Spice and Wolf had. I'm still concerned by both the screenwriter (Naruhisa Arakawa) and the animation studio (Arms) for this show. Arakawa has mostly only done mediocre works in his career while Arms has basically done hentai and heavy ecchi titles (e.g. Kite, Queen's Blade, and Ikki Tousen).

Relative to the rest of the season's new shows that I have seen thus far (~30%). I'd say there are really only three "new" titles that currently situate above it: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT, Minami-ke Tadaima and AKB0048 Next Stage (yes, I said it so go ahead and shoot me). I'm pretty sure Chihayafuru 2 would be above it but can't really say since I haven't even finished half of the first season yet (for various reasons...)

However, given how "overhyped" this show is, I'm going to take my judgment to the other end of the spectrum for now and remain a bit conservative
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jan 13 2013, 10:07 PM) Unless I'm behind on the news, how has no one mentioned that the two leads are voiced by the same two who do Lawrence (Jun Fukuyama) and Holo (Ami Koshimizu) in Spice and Wolf? I should also note that we have the same director on board for this show.
Well like I stated when I first saw the very first epsidoe it felt like your typical fantasy series, but then it turned out to be something along the line of Spice & Wolf, but with the character names are pretty much what job they do here.

I mean the head maid is known as Head Maid, and the hero as Hero, and of course the demon lord as Demon Lord, etc.

Besides it's kind of funny seeing an economics type of deal in anime with an RPG twist. I mean the only other economic series that comes to mind would be the series C.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jan 13 2013, 10:07 PM)First couple episodes are okay but lacks the more intriguing logic and comprehensible setup that Spice and Wolf had. I'm still concerned by both the screenwriter (Naruhisa Arakawa) and the animation studio (Arms) for this show. Arakawa has mostly only done mediocre works in his career while Arms has basically done hentai and heavy ecchi titles (e.g. Kite, Queen's Blade, and Ikki Tousen).

So seeing an ecchi/hentai studio doing something that is not that ecchi might be something they want to take a crack at. I mean so that they won't be just known for two things. Besides it's not a bad idea for them to try something out of thier normal comfort zone if you will. The only problem will be will this seires end up doing well enough for them to make anything out of this though, that's the only question that will be answered in time though.

On a side note I've seem some people complain about this not following the manga or doing things a bit differently, but then again I haven't read the manga and rather not be spoiled by such things for this sires though.

I like it so far, but as pointed out earlier, there was a bit of a failure in the writing to make it clear why the Demon King's pitch worked on the Hero. Even though the arguments she was making seemed logical, it didn't seem at all like it was penetrating the Hero's head. On to the second episode, the Hero just seems useless, but since he acknowledged this fact, I hopeful that there will be some character growth there. Also, I imagine the Head Maid will become a favorite of the maido fanatics on this board.

So generally, I like the characters, and the story is interesting, but it seems like it could use some better writing.

Also, this:
xlklmw.gif

Hmm... I'm starting to wonder if they spent too much money on Lawrence and Horo and forgot they had to hire directors. They left out this utterly delightful exchange:

(After the hero collapses from learning how much money the Merchants union made off him)
Hero: So those people are the enemy! Draws sword
Maou: Ah~don’t go scaring people like that.
Hero: No, they are the enemy. I’m going to use the highest order area lightning spell to take care of them.
Maou: Don’t use siege level spells to nuke one or two people!
Hero: But they tricked me! Streaming tears

Yet another brilliant episode.

I feared for pacing, but the whole thing so far flows very nicely.

Love the characters, so far. Hero is clearly a "traditional RPG Hero", but at the same time he is VERY self-aware of what he is, which makes his character fresher and allows for some nice deconstruction of the genre moments.

Demon King on other hand is shown to be strong-willed, intelligent, smart and powerful woman, with enough flaws and weaknesses to be relatable and interesting.

Head-maid continues to be quirky and entertaining and the continuing presence of already introduced characters is great.

Plot-wise this is intriguing and awesome: I love seeing all the politics play out and all those conspiracies brewing in the background. That's one of the best things about this show so far.

Ok by the third ep I'm starting to get the flow of the anime.

The question is do I want to watch an NEP unfold. I think not but nevertheless we're a quarter of the way through so I might as well stick with it.

One thing that is bugging me, why is the hero the hero? What make him special from the rest of the forces fighting the demon army.

I can pretty much say I find all of the character to be totally bland. The only character that pique my interest is the mage. She just looks like she has an interesting story, hopefully.

Third episode and some things seem promising: the mage looks like she may get even more response just like the other girl of the former hero's party. Those girls will not be so nice anymore when they realize the demon king is closeby.
The servant girls were included in the story: does this mean their former masters will come look for them?
One thing was also clear: the hero hasn't kissed or touched the demon king...what can we make of that remark? Will that be when he finally admits he likes her?

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back