Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (2014)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: The irregular at magic high school
Japanese: 魔法科高校の劣等生
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Magic, School life, Science fiction, Supernatural
Airing date: 5/4/2014 (TV series 26 episodes + specials)
Original creator: Tsutomu Satō
Original character designer: Kana Ishida
Director: Manabu Ono
Assistant director: Yuuji Kumazawa
Music by: Taku Iwasaki
Sound director: Satoshi Motoyama
Chief animation directors: Shinichi Miyamae and Kana Ishida
Animation directors: Takashi Tomioka and Satoshi Iwataki
Studio: Madhouse
Network: Tokyo MX, GTV, GYT, MBS, CTC, tvk, TVS, TVA, TVQ, TVh, AT-X, BS11
Opening theme: "Rising Hope" by LiSA
Ending theme: "Millenario (ミレナリオ)" by ELISA

Main cast: Tatsuya Shiba (司波 達也) voiced by Yuichi Nakamura
Miyuki Shiba (司波 深雪) voiced by Saori Hayami
Erika Chiba (千葉 エリカ) voiced by Yumi Uchiyama
Leonhard Saijo (西城 レオンハルト) voiced by Takuma Terashima
Mizuki Shibata (柴田 美月) voiced by Satomi Satō
Mikihiko Yoshida (吉田 幹比古) voiced by Atsushi Tamaru
Honoka Mitsui (光井 ほのか) voiced by Sora Amamiya
Shizuku Kitayama (北山 雫) voiced by Yuiko Tatsumi
Shun Morisaki (森崎 駿)
Other classmates: Eimi Akechi (明智 英美)
Subaru Satomi (里見 スバル)
Akaha Sakurakouji (桜小路 紅葉)
Hagane Tomitsuka (十三束 鋼)
Chiaki Hirakawa (平川 千秋)

Upperclassmen: Mayumi Saegusa (七草 真由美) voiced by Kana Hanazawa
Mari Watanabe (渡辺 摩利) voiced by Marina Inoue
Katsuto Jyumonji (十文字 克人) voiced by Junichi Suwabe
Suzune Ichihara (市原 鈴音) voiced by Mai Nakahara
Hanzo Gyoubushoujo Hattori (服部 刑部少丞 範蔵) voiced by Ryohei Kimura
Azusa Nakajo (中条 あずさ) voiced by Saki Ogasawara
Sayaka Mibu (壬生 紗耶香) voiced by Haruka Tomatsu
Takeaki Kirihara (桐原 武明) voiced by Tomokazu Sugita
Other upperclassmen: Koutaro Tatsumi (辰巳 鋼太郎)
Midori Sawaki (沢木 碧)
Kanon Chiyoda (千代田 花音)
Kei Isori (五十里 啓)
Kinoe Tsukasa (司 甲)
Kobayakawa (小早川)
Koharu Hirakawa (平川 小春)
Rika Izumi (和泉 理佳)
Isao Sekimoto (関本 勲)
Tsugumi Igarashi (五十嵐 亜実)

Teaching staff: Azuma Momoyama (百山 東)
Yaosaka (八百坂)
Kazuo Tsuzura (廿楽 計夫)
Haruka Ono (小野 遥)
Satomi Asuka (安宿 怜美)
Jennifer Smith (ジェニファー・スミス)
Pixie (ピクシー)

Second year freshmen: Takuma Shippō (七宝 琢磨)
Kasumi Saegusa (七草 香澄)
Izumi Saegusa (七草 泉美)
Minami Sakurai (桜井 水波)
Kent Smith (隅守 賢人)

Third High School: Masaki Ichijō (一条 将輝) voiced by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
Shinkurō Kichijōji (吉祥寺 真紅郎) voiced by Ayumu Murase
Ten Master Clans: Yotsuba Family: Miya Shiba (司波 深夜) voiced by Kikuko Inoue
Ayako Kuroba (黒羽 亜夜子) voiced by Yōko Hikasa
Maya Yotsuba (四葉 真夜)
Tatsurō Shiba (司波 龍郎)
Sayuri Shiba (司波 小百合)
Genzō Yotsuba (四葉 元造)
Fumiya Kuroba (黒羽 文弥)
Mitsugu Kuroba (黒羽 貢)
Hayama (葉山)
Aoki (青木)
Honami Sakurai (桜井 穂波)

Saegusa Family: Kōichi Saegusa (七草 弘一)
Saburō Nakura (名倉 三郎)

Ichijō Family: Gōki Ichijō (一条 剛毅)
Midori Ichijō (一条 美登里)
Akane Ichijō (一条 茜)
Ruri Ichijō (一条 瑠璃)

Itsuwa Family: Hirofumi Itsuwa (五輪 洋史)
Kudō Family: Retsu Kudō (九島 烈)
Eighteen Assistant Houses: Shippō Family: Takumi Shippō (七宝 拓巳)
Chiba Family: Toshikazu Chiba (千葉 寿和)
Naotsugu Chiba (千葉 修次)

101 Independent Magic-Equipped Battalion: Harunobu Kazama (風間 玄信)
Kyōko Fujibayashi (藤林 響子)
Shigeru Sanada (真田 繁留)
Muraji Yanagi (柳 連)
Kōsuke Yamanaka (山中 幸典)

Other Japanese people: Yakumo Kokonoe (九重 八雲)
Ushiyama (牛山)
Hajime Tsukasa (司 一)
Ushio Kitayama (北山 潮)
Benio Kitayama (北山 紅音)
Wataru Kitayama (北山 航)
Inagaki (稲垣)
Joseph Higaki (桧垣 ジョセフ)
Kaya Saijō (西城 花耶)
Anna Rosen Katori (アンナ=ローゼン=鹿取)
Maki Sawamura (小和村 真紀)
Satsuki Yorozuya (萬谷 颯希)
Suzuka Kazamatsuri (風祭 涼歌)

United States of North America: Raymond S Clark (レイモンド・S・クラーク)
Michaela Hongō (ミカエラ・ホンゴウ)
Virginia Balance (ヴァージニア・バランス)
Claire (クレア)
Rachel (レイチェル)

Stars: Angelina Kudō Shields (アンジェリーナ・クドウ・シールズ)
Benjamin Canopus (ベンジャミン・カノープス)
Sylvia Mercury First (シルヴィア・マーキュリー・ファースト)
Alfred Fomalhaut (アルフレッド・フォーマルハウト)
Charles Sullivan (チャールズ・サリバン)

Great Asian Alliance: Chen Xiangshan (陳 祥山)
Lu Gonghu (呂 剛虎)

Thirteen Apostles: Angie Sirius (アンジー・シリウス)
Elliot Mirror (エリオット・ミラー)
Roland Balto (ローラン・バルト)
Igor Andreivich Bezobrazov (イーゴリ・アンドレイビッチ・ベゾブラゾフ)
Leonid Kondrachenko (レオニード・コンドラチェンコ)
Liú Yúndé (劉 雲徳)
Barratt Chandra Kahn (バラット・チャンドラ・カーン)
Mio Itsuwa (五輪 澪)
Miguel Diaz (ミゲル・ディアス)
William MacLeod (ウィリアム・マクロード)
Carla Schmidt (カーラ・シュミット)
Ali Shahin (アリ・シャーヒーン)
Som Chiyai Bun'naku (ソム・チャイ・ブンナーク)

Others: Douglas Huang (ダグラス=黄)
Rin Richardson (リン=リチャードソン)
Ernst Rosen (エルンスト・ローゼン)

TV PVs & CMs: http://mahouka.jp/movie/
Official website: http://mahouka.jp/

Synopsis: Magic is a product of neither legends nor fairy tales, but instead has become a technology of reality since a time unknown to people. Supernatural power became a technology systematized through magic, while magic became a technical skill. A "Supernatural Power User" became a "Magic Technician." Magic Technicians (in short, Magicians) are nurtured through Magic High Schools and Universities.' This is a story about: Tatsuya, a defective elder brother low achiever. Miyuki, a perfect, flawless younger sister high achiever. After both siblings entered a Magic High School, The stage of daily turbulence was unveiled—.

QUOTE (Norren @ Feb 28 2014, 2:54 AM)Mahouka: One of the kings of the light novel field. Interesting story about magic, the highschool angle isn't played up much in the book, expecting it to get overplayed in the anime. Interesting in that the story isn't so much just about "highschoolers with magic" as it is "The societal ramifications of magic," "the industrialization of magic," and "the militarization of magic." The characterization is also good and diverse.from the first episodes i watched today this one isnt as bad as i thought at first, didn't try too hard with 'ecchi in your face' antics *cough*Daimidaler*cough*... its 3 specials were interesting explaining basic stuff (animated in flash though), how its plot and development will be with such huge cast; Ex medium - PS 8/10

This show, along with This World is Still Beautiful and Captain Earth, are the only new shows I've found any good or interesting so far, excluding sequels since I havent finished the first seasons of any of those. Greatly enjoy the designs and the voice actors in this show, even if there were some eye roll moments and the class heirarchy split seems stupid and unnecessary.

Yes~

The first episode did not disappoint. I love how they snuck a tiny bit in from the Reminiscence chapter at the beginning. Tatsuya vs Yakumo fights are great in the books, but they exceeded my expectations here. I am quite satisfied that they met my expectations with Erika and Leo. Erika is my fav of the cast- I can't wait to see how they animate her swordfighting, the teaser of her fighting in the first ep ED (the regular OP?) is great.

I also love the execution of the scene with the Class 1 vs Class 2 at the end of the episode. The Class 1 vs Class 2 rift is the basis of the Enrollment Chapter (books 1 and 2).

The ED also looks like they're sneaking in the Reminiscence chapter (book 8) much earlier on in the story, or revealing it slowly through the episodes. (This is a good decision on their part.)

After watching the first episode it looks like I found one of my pick-up series for this season. Aside from two others for obvious reasons of course. Continuations don't count for me you know.
tongue.gif

In any case frm the looks of things it's pretty much it's your typical elite society and commoners set in highscool of sorts. Although it kind of looks rather interesting so I'll give this one a go since it seems more tech heavy over spell incations like some other "magical" series I've been watching.

Haven't gotten round to watch this yet (have been following the two manga for a while) , but I recalled having seen the PV and heard the voice of the Yuichi Nakamura and Saori Hayami, the thought of Kyosuke and Ayase came in to mind right away lol

Well this turned out exactly how I expected.

Cringe worthy and vomit worthy incesty journey into the most generic and bland cliches of anime industry while telling the most generic highschool MAGICCC harem plot possible. And with the most generic character designs one could possibly ever create to boot!

I can't even think of even ONE redeeming quality of this mess. Its literally something that if someone was forced to watch, could drive to suicide.

Dropped.

I need some brain bleach as well as to gouge my eyes after this.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Apr 11 2014, 06:36 AM) Well this turned out exactly how I expected.

Cringe worthy and vomit worthy incesty journey into the most generic and bland cliches of anime industry while telling the most generic highschool MAGICCC harem plot possible. And with the most generic character designs one could possibly ever create to boot!

I can't even think of even ONE redeeming quality of this mess. Its literally something that if someone was forced to watch, could drive to suicide.

Dropped.

I need some brain bleach as well as to gouge my eyes after this.
Erm...how can you even tell what the plot is with just watching 1 episode?

I am following the two manga, and the plot isn't even remotely close to related to harem.

QUOTE (Marine-RX179 @ Apr 11 2014, 10:46 AM) Erm...how can you even tell what the plot is with just watching 1 episode?

I am following the two manga, and the plot isn't even remotely close to related to harem.
  • Episode 1 was filled with every single most annoying harem anime cliche
  • The cast consists of generic harem stereotype submissive females including a tomboy, a socialite and a shy childhood friend(who just happens to also be his sister), all of whom fawn over the gary stu lead while providing every single sexist trope possible.
  • the lead male is bland guy with douchy hairstyle and unreasonable powers that everyone fawns over
  • Its set in freaking highschool of magic. How much more generic can this get? All they now need to do is overdo falling down sakura petal sin every single scene.
  • The character designs are infuriatingly generic. Finally Witch Craft Works is outdone in the most bland character designs area, which was kind of incredibly hard to achieve.
  • Every single shounen genre trope possible so far - I fully expect silly fighting tournaments, bishonen villains and the male lead having to save his incesty sister from being helpless at the hands of an overpowered bishonen barelly-male villain. Bonus points if someone sprouts angel wings or grabs someone's boobs.

First ep literally reminded me of Clannad, Witch Craft Works, Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, Gundam Seed Destiny AND Aquarian evoL, ALL AT ONCE and doing that takes an impossible level of talent at screwing up.

Feelings about the show while watching the first episode jumped in between feeling uncomfortable, bored and infuriated at stupidity. The first episode did absolutely nothing out of ordinary nor anything that would hook me(even unbearable trainwrecks like Estetica had SOME kind of a hook to stay for second episode before giving up). And that's generally NOT a good sign for a show.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Apr 11 2014, 11:14 AM)
  • Episode 1 was filled with every single most annoying harem anime cliche

• The cast consists of generic harem stereotype submissive females including a tomboy, a socialite and a shy childhood friend(who just happens to also be his sister), all of whom fawn over the gary stu lead while providing every single sexist trope possible.

• the lead male is bland guy with douchy hairstyle and unreasonable powers that everyone fawns over

• Its set in freaking highschool of magic. How much more generic can this get? All they now need to do is overdo falling down sakura petal sin every single scene.

• The character designs are infuriatingly generic. Finally Witch Craft Works is outdone in the  most bland character designs area, which was kind of incredibly hard to achieve.

• Every single shounen genre trope possible so far -  I fully expect silly fighting tournaments, bishonen villains and the male lead having to save his incesty sister from being helpless at the hands of an overpowered bishonen barelly-male villain. Bonus points if someone sprouts angel wings or grabs someone's boobs.

First ep literally reminded me of Clannad, Witch Craft Works,  Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, Gundam Seed Destiny AND Aquarian evoL, ALL AT ONCE and doing that takes an impossible level of talent at screwing up.

Feelings about the show while watching the first episode jumped in between feeling uncomfortable, bored and infuriated at stupidity. The first episode did absolutely nothing out of ordinary nor anything that would hook me(even unbearable trainwrecks like Estetica had SOME kind of a hook to stay for second episode before giving up). And that's generally NOT a good sign for a show.
Except this title isn't really about romance, and it bearly revolve around the relationship of Tatsuya and the female cast. Also Miyuki doesn't really need protecting.

As for character design/art for the anime I agree it could have been better.

But if you feel you know can criticize about this title despite you know NOTHING about it and jumping to conclusion with just one episode (a rushed introduction), then yea you should best stay away from this show...or any anime with slightly too many female characters in it (which you would automatically think it is a harem show).

For something non-generic...yea FREE! sounds original enough for you to enjoy, since it's not everyday you get to see a show that's pretty much like K-ON, but with GUYS instead of girls
tongue.gif

I noticed this particular anime is getting attention here at FTV, so I was intrigued by it.

At first, I thought this anime was based on a light novel written by Index author but it isn't. This anime is more mature compared to the Toaru majutsu no Index.

@Anybody - Maybe I'm blind but I don't see any harem anime clichés instead I see a variety of characters that can be considered stereotypical at first glance but I don't think that holds for every character in the series. Marine, nice to see you back and an awesome reply with the excellent suggestion of "FREE!".

I enjoyed both episodes so far and you do get the feeling that despite it being the 2nd episode, the anime is still introducing us to the characters and not really beginning the main story or goal of the series, I'm kinda glad it's going at this pace. I'm glad episode 2 ended the way it did because I was worried that I would have to wait for the next episode to see who wins the match. I'm glad the protagonist is a bad-ass with a quick wit.
laugh.gif

Hmm, i am not sure about this series. It looks to handle a serious notion of discrimination within the school (a school council which can only exist out of people who are bloom...bloom students should not talk to weed students and so on). However the focus on Tatsuya and Miyuki makes it somewhat singlesided. A bit of focus on the rest of the faculty like the older weed students and how they feel about the situation would be nice. Also the series feels like it could degrade to a harem...Tatsuya feels too strong too. That fight was way too fast.

QUOTE (Marine-RX179 @ Apr 09 2014, 04:01 PM)having seen the PV and heard the voice of the Yuichi Nakamura and Saori Hayami, the thought of Kyosuke and Ayase came in to mind right away lol
QUOTE (nijlandp @ Apr 13 2014, 02:49 AM)However the focus on Tatsuya and Miyuki makes it somewhat singlesided. A bit of focus on the rest of the faculty like the older weed students and how they feel about the situation would be nice. Also the series feels like it could degrade to a harem...Tatsuya feels too strong too.his talent and strength despite low scores reminds me to that underdog Raishin from Unbreakable Machinedoll, its setting is similar with a school of magic in an advanced world thanks to the research... but after watching 3 episodes i expect Mahouka to turn more interesting than a typical harem or 'wincest', still i would rename it 'my little sister can be my waifu' when Tatsuya was 'joking' in ep.2
tongue.gif

Okay....that little sister is just straight up weird. She's still looking up to him but I guess that can't be helped when he sort of excels at everything he does....the perfect onii-san. I'm gonna guess and say that those two are not real brother and sister and maybe the sister doesn't know it yet and it might be a reveal later in the story...I don't know.

Episode 03's second-half was really entertaining and just when it was getting interesting...the ending credits started rolling. Now, I want to read the Enrolment Arc manga.
wink.gif

This Anime has good animation, action and even comedy.
I enjoy how It shows what the specialty is of the main characters, as well as who is probably going to be the antagonist.

The main character siblings both have their specialty but the question: why and how did they get it as well as what happened to them, especially why is the sister so jealous and why is the brother hiding his abilities? is what keeps me watching this.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 20 2014, 05:35 AM) Okay....that little sister is just straight up weird. She's still looking up to him but I guess that can't be helped when he sort of excels at everything he does....the perfect onii-san. I'm gonna guess and say that those two are not real brother and sister and maybe the sister doesn't know it yet and it might be a reveal later in the story...I don't know.
Weird is not the right term...there is definitely "yandere" attribute in Miyuki's character, just like Ayase
biggrin.gif

This is what's gonna happen if Miyuki caught Tatsya with other girls lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84MYLQdLQ60

QUOTE (Marine-RX179 @ Apr 20 2014, 02:56 PM) Weird is not the right term...there is definitely "yandere" attribute in Miyuki's character, just like Ayase
biggrin.gif

Yeah, Miyuki is hard to properly describe without spoilers.

There's a considerable amount of reason and logic behind her bro-con behavior, but it ties into the mystery of who they really are and the exact nature of their magic.

This being one of my favorite LNs, I'm trying very hard to keep myself from rambling and spoiling stuff. Suffice it to say I'm looking very forward to the next chapter of the story so I can start talking without spoiling things.
laugh.gif

QUOTE (Masich @ Apr 20 2014, 07:29 AM)This Anime has good animation, action and even comedy.
I enjoy how It shows what the specialty is of the main characters, as well as who is probably going to be the antagonist.
QUOTE (Norren @ Apr 21 2014, 03:00 AM)Miyuki is hard to properly describe without spoilers.

There's a considerable amount of reason and logic behind her bro-con behavior, but it ties into the mystery of who they really are and the exact nature of their magic.

This being one of my favorite LNs, I'm trying very hard to keep myself from rambling and spoiling stuff. Suffice it to say I'm looking very forward to the next chapter of the story so I can start talking without spoiling things.thnx for holding your spoilers guys ;p I think there'll be more than 1 antagonist telling by its opening, now that anti-magic international organization Blanche is mentioned in ep.4 did they attack Tatsuya?... beside obvious siscon and harem hints in this series what I'm wondering about is his interest over girls, that view on the federation chairman of extracurricular activities could be seen wrong
laugh.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 26 2014, 03:00 PM)thnx for holding your spoilers guys ;p I think there'll be more than 1 antagonist telling by its opening, now that anti-magic international organization Blanche is mentioned in ep.4 did they attack Tatsuya?... beside obvious siscon and harem hints in this series what I'm wondering about is his interest over girls, that view on the federation chairman of extracurricular activities could be seen wrong

Almost everything in the introduction chapter could be seen wrong as it has quite a bit of double entendre otaku bait as it's way of attracting early readers/viewers. Tatsuya has many "hidden secrets", but being in the closet is not one of them.

Something that strikes me as unusual here is just exactly where the adaptation team chooses to be literal vs depicting things through action scenes... Tatsuya's narrative evaluation of Juumonji is taken almost verbatim from the book, where it was our first description of Juumonji- before that scene he was nothing but a name. Depicted with a visual like that, it takes a normal first person account of someone's intimidating appearance and turns it into Fujoshi bait.
dry.gif
In other places, they prune down descriptive information from scenes in favor of letting the viewer SEE things and possibly misunderstand them without a description... It seems... very poorly chosen.

And then certain characters are just getting played... differently. Ono-sensei doesn't look like OreImo's obaachan in the books... She actually looks and acts her age in the novels... and that scene had a rather different meaning than the one it seemed to have here.

But, I digress. Finally we get the beginning of Miyuki and Tatsuya's mysteries unfolding at the end of this episode with a name drop, and the allusions to our antagonists. Things will happen rather abruptly, from here.

Have I missed Tatsuya's explanation on the Numbered families? I don't remember seeing it, and we've passed the point where he introduced the top level info on it in the LNs.

QUOTE (Norren @ Apr 27 2014, 01:37 AM) Have I missed Tatsuya's explanation on the Numbered families? I don't remember seeing it, and we've passed the point where he introduced the top level info on it in the LNs.
He mentioned them when talking about Juumonji, but aside from essentially telling us they are very strong and influential family lines, no other real info is given. Aside from the end when Miyuki reveals to us they are part of the Yotsuba family, one of the Numbered families.

You know me, I don't usually drop series but damn this one....I almost dropped it but I didn't because I saw how much "love" Marine and many other have for this series, so I'll be sticking with this one even though I really hate the "incest" yandere aspects of it, I wouldn't mind the yandere clinginess if the girl was someone who wasn't there sister, I mean you do see it occasionally in anime but never to this level but at least it wasn't as bad as that segment in the previous episode.

The show is interesting and weird like when Mibu questioned Tatsuya if he was bullying her...I guess he kinda was by forcing them into an awkward situation to see them squeal.

I think I might need start reading the mangas and LNs for this series....which one should I start off with?

EDIT #1:-

I got too interested and read some pretty damn major spoilers.....damn I'm a f**king retard. I'm gonna start reading either the manga or LN, not sure which one I should start off with.

I'm going to thank the guys here at FTV that didn't include spoilers in their posts in this particular thread, you guys deserve MAJOR RESPECT.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back