Log Horizon: Entaku Houkai (2021) & 2nd Series

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
i haven't read them yet but i guess a Goblin King is equivalent to a Demon Lord in other games, i think so because in ep'20 they kill a goblin general (in Dragon Quest the Maoh has many generals)... so now we have 2 villains in glasses: the sadistic Crusty and Shiroe's "cheat" turning Rudy in adventurer, but that'll open the possibility for Lenessia and other PotL to become legendary izumo knights
wink.gif

The fish folk pretty much can be considered as sea goblin types, but then again they look more like Deep Ones from the Cthulu Mythos than goblins though. Although I think the Goblin King is something along the line of an Event Boss that is supposed to be defeated before this issue came up.

Although in this episode this was kind of expected since things aren't like your typical MMO here anymore. Although one thing bugs me and that is are we ever going to see that smexy monk in action at all, or is she just for flashback material only?
unsure.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 16 2014, 03:06 AM)Although in this episode this was kind of expected since things aren't like your typical MMO here anymore. Although one thing bugs me and that is are we ever going to see that smexy monk in action at all, or is she just for flashback material only?probably because Shiroe said that Kanami wasn't logged in Elder Tale when the apocalypse happened, still i would like to see her help him in that world too like she did as debauchery tea party's leader... but now the one im more concerned about is a mysterious smexy adventurer in ep'21, telling the party kids his 'new magic' so i bet she created one too at Minami's demon festival of suzaku gate
ohmy.gif

lol its latest couple of episodes was really cute with Akatsuki and Minori as 'love triangle' rivals, now that Henrietta is falling for Shiroe too this might turn into a harem if they include Kanami as well... but this last arc is starting to be serious again with People of the Land about to attack Adventurers of Akiba, I wonder if Lord Marves had something to do with what happened at Minami's incident
dry.gif

Okay, I started on my backlog since I had some dead time this weekend and got caught up on LogHori... and one of my first thoughts reading over the thread is just how disappointed I am by everyone's comments. The Sahuaguin showed up how many episodes ago, and no one thought to make a merloc joke?
tongue.gif

Teasing aside, a whole bunch of thoughts at once:

First, how did I not notice on the initial thread post that this story was by the MaoYuu author? All through the show are little nods here and there to his research for MaoYuu.

Secondly, everyone should know by now how much I like trying to identify author appeal when I see it... if SAO was Phantasy star online x Makai Toushi SaGa, (FF Legend) Elder Tale is Everquest 2. The class list is all but identical and all the mechanics are thematically similar but different. A few of those skills I could have killed for back when I played EQ2. The Shaman's AoE panic button works way better than the real thing, for example.
tongue.gif
(And the only high level monk we've seen had that stupid hooluk hat almost every monk in EQ2 wore for two or three expansions.)

On the note of Shaman, Minori gets an automatic cool mark from me for her class choice. Before all the WoW inspired homogenization and nerfs, EQ2's two shaman classes used to be the hardest to play and get right... you pretty much had to play 30 seconds in advance.
tongue.gif

Aside from the EQ2 fanboy moments this series gives me, I have to say, I really like it much more than I was expecting. I was expecting an SAO style story from this, but the pretense in motion really feels more like a Fushigi Yuugi style fantasy world with an MMO replacing the book. The character growth is amazing if a bit unequal. While Shiroe, Krusty, Lenessia, and the lowbies are well developed, some of the core seem neglected. We still don't really know who Naotsugu is outside of "old friend, plays Guardian, likes pr0n and food." Akatsuki is a stereotype with dreadfully little development, and Mari-nee is just as bad.

For our protagonist... I wonder if it's just me that feels like I'm looking into a twisted mirror when the show focuses on Shiroe? I like the way they play with his backstory, but the whole strategist angle feels so... wrong. I can't be the only MMO player who's thinking he's too notorious for what he is- the MMO community reviles strategists and independent thinkers. I do like how he's much less clueless than the average shounen baka hero he is, but I dislike the way they over-inform us of his ability to think and play the game. (He's a lousy enchanter) For example, now that he's figured out contract magic, you'd think he'd try writing up a friend list contract to add NPCs to friends lists. (If only so Krusty could harass a certain hikikomori via telepathy.) Nope, he's afraid to mention the discovery, let alone experiment with it.

The one character that surprised me the most was Lenessia. Right where the stereotypical princess goes, where everyone would expect a shallow stereotype if only because she's an NPC, the melancholy twilight princess showed up instead.
laugh.gif
Some of her expressions are priceless. She was also the source of my favorite joke in the show, when she was doing the NPC stutterstep between RP walk and regular walking as she complained about how the adventurers are walking too quickly. It was so subtle yet so true.

On the overall plot, I really like how the emphasis of the story is actually about the scenario. In contrast with a certain other MMO story, the lack of any venue of escape turned the story into a scenario where you get to see how everyone chooses to live, and care is taken to show the different personalities at play. I also really like the conflict with the NPCs being more lifelike.

I'm curious to see how the Goblin King questline is addressed, long term. It reminds me of some of the EQ2 world events that nobody ever did. I like the idea of gradually increasing the "signs" until something actually intimidating happens, making what's ordinarily a boring event turn into something special.

Am I the only person who thinks there's some Langrisser inspiration in the armor designs?

lol sorry lately I'm not too much into MMOs or even RPGs so i didnt make many jokes or references, though I got Lenessia's NPC slow walk and few other game gags (so far my favorite girl here ;p)... still i'm surprised that you didn't try this earlier given that you like SAO and similar series, today I was right that Marves freak is from the west but is the mysterious girl from ep.21 one of his allies?
sleep.gif

The latest episode is a bit interesting... I love how the answer to the random madness is Let the Harem Guild smile at the troublemakers. Even their NPC maid got pulled in on it!
biggrin.gif

I have a hunch about who the mysterious girl is. I don't think she's with Marves, I don't expect her to be a Player or person of the land, either.

As for not picking this up sooner, well, I have a few reasons, none of them good.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Norren @ Mar 16 2014, 02:44 AM)I have a hunch about who the mysterious girl is. I don't think she's with Marves, I don't expect her to be a Player or person of the land, either.

As for not picking this up sooner, well, I have a few reasons, none of them good.
tongue.gif
it's ok I was kidding ;p so if she isn't an adventurer nor PotL then, i think she is an old race left either from izumo knights or luquenjes that Shiroe mentioned... is her guild ruling Minami after Yamato was united by Westelande Holy Empire, I wonder as well about the coal-black queen seen in its last preview (a foxtail?):
<- a prostitute sub class!?
laugh.gif

Well with the final episode wrapping up the scale festival arc we got a special announcement along with it here. Apparently a second season is in the works now. Which honestly, it does deserve it.
laugh.gif

In any case this means that the Akihabara sotry arc is now finished, and it looks like the goup might start heading to the western portions I take it. Although that's just me speculating here of course.
tongue.gif

Well, that was a surprise. I'd read some of the Q&A Mamare-sensei had done and he made an interesting teaser about a certain character set to appear. By context, I'd expected this to be the mystery girl who knew about Shirou's Contract Magic, but instead the mystery girl ended up being the seductress of Minami .

I'm really impressed with LogHora overall. I love how the animation team really bought into the story- the pacing of the first season was phenomenal. A few of the characters didn't get as close of a look as I think they deserve - Naotsugu, Nyanta, and Akatsuki didn't get as much attention as I would have liked, although now that we know we're getting an S2, we can look forward to character arcs like Book 6.

I also wonder if the Kanami/Overseas arc will make it into S2.

Probably the strangest part of LogHora, for me? The OP. I hate that style of music, but that OP grew on me to the point I can listen to it as writing music.
blink.gif

@NecroRyu: That class list was in each of the novels, in the appendices in the back of the books. I really like the Subclass concept that Elder Tale has. After finishing Ep 24, I couldn't help myself and read books 1~6.
laugh.gif

@Wolfie: I think we're going North first. The teasers at the end of ep 25 with the Brigantes and Silver Sword guildmasters are for a second visit to Susukino, I think. I'm not sure tho, since the books aren't translated that far.
sad.gif

I started watching this on Sunday night and I finished a few hours ago, what can I say that hasn't been said already. This anime was great and thoroughly enjoyable from start to end.

Of course, this and SAO will constantly be compared but those 2 are so different from each other with SAO being more "drama-centric" to begin with. Log Horizon is great because I feel it uses more "game logic" than SAO, I mean those "strategies" Shiroe talks of or does are actual playing styles, like how you grind out XP or tackle a strong enemy, etc. SAO is more like I'm super duper powerful, I can do anything with my sword...I'M the GOD of SAO, Kirito. As you can see, I obviously like Log Horizon more.

My overall score for the first season is a solid 9/10, season 2 will be great as we'll get to see some former members of DTP and yandere Nureha.

Log Horizon.. or what I like to call.. The one that beats SAO.

What can I say about it?
It is entertaining, educational, fantasy, there is action, adventure,
it has its serious scenes which all don't really last that long, and above all...
The Comedy is Hilarious! especially how every single character has its charms.
being weird, clumsy, idiotic, pervert, doesn't matter!

(My argument about It beating SAO).
Compared to SAO, Log Horizon Doesn't has what I call Drama!
some bits are considered *surprising/shocking* but for some reason a lot of them... Disappear as if it was normal, at which point you even forget about it!

Now for a Argument about Season 2 and perhaps what is coming (In my Opinion and guess).
Unless you haven't seen the first season and/or don't want to know what you can Expect from Season 2 (In My Own Opinion). DO NOT CLICK The SHOW SPOILER!!

Season 1 ended with the cliffhanger that he is thinking about leaving Akihabara, Of course many who have seen the first season fully, will know that it is the most logical according to story line and plot after the last episode, to do so.
I can see the fact of him and a lot of the others going west and see what Nureha the guild-mistress of Plant Hwyaden has done there. That I see happen but.. In my mind and here comes a spoiler guess, I find what I think will be (self opinion) another 25 episode season, to be to long for such a single plot. So.. Maybe and just maybe we might get to see the Overseas Side-Story with Kanami (the samurai leader of Debauchery Tea Party).
I mean.. , I doubt that Log horizon will stop with only Japan, even if the story begins from that point, it is also implied that all the other nations in the world probably have the same issue and there is already enough evidence with fact and logic that Kanami was online during the apocalypse but is stuck somewhere else.
(I Do Not See a Reason for a Person, That Is being Guessed to be gone, To have A Voice Actress for such Small flashback/reminder scenes).
Maybe this will only keep going in the Light novel or maybe the Anime will last long enough and become popular enough for that to happen.. I don't know.. But I sure as hell hope so!!!

As another little side hope. I hope that they won't find a way back to the real world in the Anime or a way for people to forever disappear, it is fine if that already is in the light novel or comes , because: a Anime doesn't has to follow the Light novel to the exact letter. But my Argument for that, would be: Not having a SAO cliche.

Whaaaat. the. hell.

Did someone slip us a komiket doujin in place of our regularly scheduled S2 premiere?

It's like the entire animation staff changed.

QUOTE (Norren @ Oct 04 2014, 08:37 PM) Whaaaat. the. hell.

Did someone slip us a komiket doujin in place of our regularly scheduled S2 premiere?

It's like the entire animation staff changed.
It kinda did. The key players, such as director and series comp are the same, but Studio DEEN is animating this season where as Satelight animated last season.

QUOTE (Norren @ Oct 05 2014, 11:37 AM) Whaaaat. the. hell.
+1. I'm not sure what I watched. It felt like a review episode... except for a season I didn't watch.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Oct 04 2014,7:59 PM)The key players, such as director and series comp are the same, but Studio DEEN is animating this season where as Satelight animated last season.
QUOTE (Norren @ Mar 23 2014, 01:52 PM)the strangest part of LogHora, for me? The OP. I hate that style of music, but that OP grew on me to the point I can listen to it as writing music.same OP in S2 but new ED (I prefer S1), remixed OST and character redesigns:

Soujirou Seta (ソウジロウ=セタ) voiced by Hiro Shimono
Tetora (てとら) voiced by Yukiyo Fujii
Regan (リ=ガン) voiced by Keiji Fujiwara

Ah, Studio DEEN, why do you never cease to make doujin circles look AMAZING in comparison?

I shouldn't be rude to Doujin studios, Maikaze's done leagues better with the Touhou anime.

How did that Re-Gan design get out of the studio with no one noticing Regan is a monkey? Actually, no, don't answer that, if you watch the way he acted this episode it was clearly intentional.

I already enjoy how the first episode made me full of curiosity. I can't wait for all the other episodes, finally something to look forward to again.
QUOTE (Norren @ Oct 05 2014, 01:05 AM)How did that Re-Gan design get out of the studio with no one noticing Regan is a monkey? Actually, no, don't answer that, if you watch the way he acted this episode it was clearly intentional.I hope so, else I can't take him serious anymore. >.>

And so with the beginning of the second season we now understand why Shiro went North now. To think that they were going bankrupt because the buildings maintenance cost was double the purchase cost. In a normal MMO that would be too stupid to even bother getting a building for anything at all. Although makes me wonder what they are going to do to fix that issue though.

QUOTE (daft27 @ Oct 04 2014, 11:06 PM) +1.  I'm not sure what I watched.  It felt like a review episode... except for a season I didn't watch.
Lol daft, you put it into words perfectly, it didnt felt like a preview but a review, i think its because there was no punchline before the opening (like; we never thought that christmas would turn into such a meatgrinder)

QUOTE (Norren @ Oct 05 2014, 04:05 AM)Ah, Studio DEEN, why do you never cease to make doujin circles look AMAZING in comparison?

I shouldn't be rude to Doujin studios, Maikaze's done leagues better with the Touhou anime.

How did that Re-Gan design get out of the studio with no one noticing Regan is a monkey?  Actually, no, don't answer that, if you watch the way he acted this episode it was clearly intentional.

Honestly i get what you are saying, about 96% of the episode was pukeworthy. I don't think the idea of showing scenes from where it all culminates to build up hype is a bad concept, but the execution and planning was awful to say the least. I'd give it 230 yen, reminded me of Kai Shouko's brutal rebuttal in Baka ga Zenran (manga).

But i dont think doujin groups are that bad (for the most part yes, but some are just pure epic), i know some western fan fiction works that look as if they are the work of a novelist, and amateurs are known to surprise quite often, its not a novel or anime but remember the chrono resurrection project? if you dont know what it is, it was a remake project to do a 3D version of chrono trigger for the gamecube, from the ground up, it looked wicked cool and was made at the expense of the fans time and money, but it was shutdown for copyright infringement.

Anyway, you might want to compare this episode to feeces or the like and say feeces are funnier and cooler than the episode, that might be closer to the metaphor you were looking for.

I think it smells of sabotage lol, it just feels too bad to be accidental xD. But either way look on the bright side, we got the ball rolling, i doubt the fail will go on for long.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Oct 05 2014, 03:40 PM)And so with the beginning of the second season we now understand why Shiro went North now. To think that they were going bankrupt because the buildings maintenance cost was double the purchase cost. In a normal MMO that would be too stupid to even bother getting a building for anything at all. Although makes me wonder what they are going to do to fix that issue though.

True, but the Kunie maintain things like the guards and the no-pk/monster zone barriers in towns etc, if those disapeared or whatever...

Imagine if in hardcore mode (1 death and ur character is deleted) game, for example hardcore Diablo 2 or 3... there were no towns, only housing. You disconnect or go to sleep (if you are trapped in the game) and meanwhile you are in the open, exposed and vulnerable. I think people would kill for housing, and i havent read the novel that far but i think that is what they are hinting (since they just explained that the barriers are maintained by kunie and not a natural phenomena in the server world)

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back