Learning Japanese (日本語)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
hey, this is interesting! i can learn much from this forum. thanx guys.
does anyone know where i can find sites for downloading plugins for japanese words because my PC can't read kanji
blink.gif
. thanx again!
smile.gif

horra, got it! thanx junmisugi
laugh.gif

Well if you´re using Windows XP then you don´t need to download a plugin, just go to the help section and type in "japanese" and search for it, then you should get a detailed explanation how you can install japanese characters on your pc.

my friend wanted to know what his name means in japanese after he found out i knew mine
laugh.gif

so if you guys could be so kind as to help me
smile.gif

Ryan: little king

Williams:
From the Belgic "guild-helm," harnessed with a gilded helmet or "welhelm," the shield or defense of many.
Derived from the given name "William," an Old French given name with Germanic elements: wil = desire, will; and helm = helmet, protection.

ありがとう!

well, one name can have various meanings... for example, "Ai" can mean both "love" and "indigo", depending on the kanji used to write it! Besides, a name has to be "writeable" in japanese.. for example, "ryan" will probably be written as "rayan" and william something like "uirian".. that's just a guess though, i usually "japonize" foreign words wrong
tongue.gif

QUOTE (JunMisugi @ Apr 21 2007, 12:36 PM) Is it possibly to download the other lessons somewhere in the internet or is it only available at your college Chiisai_Hana
Actually, these aren't even the videos I learned from! I was on my college's file-sharing system and just happened to see them on another student's list. I've got two more lessons, and I'll probably try and see if I can find any more next week before I move home. But I'll upload the next episodes as soon as I can
cool.gif

(Cheesy movies are the highlight of learning any language. The ones I watched weren't as bad, but the actors were terrible
laugh.gif
)

QUOTE (ss-samuel--x @ Apr 21 2007, 09:02 PM) ryan can be wrote in japanese

りゃん rya-n
it can, but it sounds quite different from Ryan.. and personally i think it makes much more sense to write it in a way that sounds alike, and not in a way that is written with the same letters. That's why, even though my name is written João, i "katakanize" it to ジュアン (Juan / Jyuan)..

Aah I see, yay thank you that would be really great
laugh.gif
.QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Apr 21 2007, 09:49 PM)(Cheesy movies are the highlight of learning any language. The ones I watched weren't as bad, but the actors were terrible )Yeah you´re completely right, I think it´s really refreshing to learn some part of a language via chessy movies
rolleyes.gif

I BARELY GOT THIS BEFORE YOU KNOW IT FREE SOFTWARE FROM BYKI.COM, THEY GOT DIFFERENT LANGUAGES. JAP IS ONE OF THEM, THE COOL THING IS THAT THEY GIVE YOU LIST OF SOME WORDS. THERE UNDER MONTHS, COLORS, A FEW; THEY SHOW THE KANJI N ROMAGI, ALSO THEY PRONOUNCIATE THE WORDS. THE NIFTY THING IS YOU CAN SLOW DOWN THE PRONUNCIATION SPEED, TURTLE BUTTON.

DOWN SIDE, NOT A LOT OF WORDS, THE DELUXE MIGHT HAVE THE BIGGER LIST AND OTHER STUFF. FOR THOSE WHO ARE STARTING SHOULD CHECK IT OUT, HOPE THIS IS OF ANY HELP, JAANE~!!!!!!!

Moderator's Note: Please do not use large font sizes. Also, in the future please refrain from using all capitals. That is consider shouting on the internet, and I'm sure you don't intend to be rude.

hmm i got a question-
in bleach,ichigo's sister calls him onee-chan and kon(i thnk the name of the stuff doll was-havent seen him for a pretty long time on bleach though) calls rukia nee-san...so i assume onee-chan means older brother and nee-san means older sister...but in eureka seven renton calls his sister onee-chan...shouldnt he be calling her nee-san?...or if its that an older sibling of a different gender is called onee-chan then why doesnt kon call rukia onee-chan too?

QUOTE (ubermensch @ Jun 14 2007, 11:45 AM)hmm i got a question-
in bleach,ichigo's sister calls him onee-chan and kon(i thnk the name of the stuff doll was-havent seen him for a pretty long time on bleach though) calls rukia nee-san...so i assume onee-chan means older brother and nee-san means older sister...but in eureka seven renton calls his sister onee-chan...shouldnt he be calling her nee-san?...or if its that an older sibling of a different gender is called onee-chan then why doesnt kon call rukia onee-chan too?You usually call your big sister nee-san or onee-chan/san etc... while your older brother would be addressed with nii-san or onii-san etc.... And your little sister would be addressed with imoto and your little brother with ototo.
QUOTE (murtysiva @ Jun 14 2007, 08:05 AM)Can anyone translate"Son of Earth" to japanese.Please. I would translate it with " chikyou no musuko" ( 地球の息子) .

There's this very good site I use for learning Japanese (proper names, common words, etc). I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet since I haven't read the whole thread, but it's http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict. You guys may want to try this out. I'm having fun with it.
wink.gif

QUOTE (JunMisugi @ Jun 14 2007, 05:41 AM) You usually call your big sister nee-san or onee-chan/san etc... while your older brother would be addressed with nii-san or onii-san etc.... And your little sister would be addressed with imoto and your little brother with ototo. I would translate it with " chikyou no musuko" ( 地球の息子) .
I read somewhere that you put an O in front of familial to represent honorary or respect. Obachan, Oneechan, Oniisan, Otosan, Ocasan, etc etc. This can also be used in titles.

Well in general as far as I know you put an o in front of nouns etc... to express respect and esteem towards it, like uuuh for example osumai or otera .

QUOTE (JunMisugi @ Jun 14 2007, 07:41 AM)And your little sister would be addressed with imoto and your little brother with ototo.
Though I'm fairly certain you never call them that to their face unless you are not close at all, or are trying to be rude? Just like in English, you wouldn't go around saying "little brother, do this". Older siblings usually refer to younger ones by name.

QUOTE (JunMisugi @ Jun 14 2007, 11:09 AM)Well in general as far as I know you put an o in front of nouns etc... to express respect and esteem towards it, like uuuh for example osumai or otera .
According to my textbook ....

QUOTE The prefix お is added to a word concerning the listener or a third person in order to express the speaker's respect to the person: お国は どちらですか。-> Where are you from? 
お is also attached to various other words when the speaker is speaking politely (eg. [お]さけ o-sake alcohol, [お]はなみ o-hanami cherry-blossom viewing)
There are some words that are usually used with お without meaning respect or politeness (おちゃ ochya tea, おかね okane money)

When it's an everyday setting, I think my professor's said some women will use it a bit excessively and so it's gotten a female connotation.

haha.. as odd as it might seem (especially considering i had that lesson over 2 years ago), i recognized it.. looks like your textbook's Minna no Nihongo too, chiisai_hana ^^

The one and only
laugh.gif
But then, there's probably not too many Japanese-made textbooks in English, so that makes sense! Did you get the second year set then? I decided not to do second year because my average was suffering too much
ph34r.gif
but I'm thinking maybe I'll try to buy a set from the prof in the fall if they have extra sets.

QUOTE Though I'm fairly certain you never call them that to their face unless you are not close at all, or are trying to be rude? Just like in English, you wouldn't go around saying "little brother, do this". Older siblings usually refer to younger ones by name. Uh yeah now that you say that I remember I never heard that someone addresses his little sister directly with imoto, I think it´s more used if you talk about her with others like friends etc... I remember that in Tsukihime Shiki addressed Akiha when he talked about her with his friends with imoto-san, but when he talked directly to Akiha then he always addressed her with her first name.

You can do the same thing with parents. If you and I were talking, I would refer to my mother has "haha" and my father as "chichi", but if I was referring to your parents I would use "okaa-san" and "otou-san" respectively (same as if I was talking to my parents).

Actually, I'm sure there are many ways to refer to family members that we just don't know
huh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back