Kyoukai no Kanata

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

AccipiterF1

-sama
Retired
kycTWEn.jpg

Alternative title:
Beyond The Boundary
境界の彼方 (Japanese)
Genres: action, drama, fantasy, psychological, romance

Plot Summary: Akihito Kanbara is a high school sophomore in the literature club who believes himself to be a "Meganest", and although he appears to be human, he is actually half Yōmu, which makes him invulnerable to wounds, due to the fact that he can heal so quickly, and also immortal. One day, Akihito meets freshman Mirai Kuriyama when it appears as if she is about to attempt suicide by jumping off of the school rooftop. Mirai is isolated because of her ability to manipulate blood, which is considered heresy even among other members of the underworld, so she is shunned. Soon after Akihito saves Mirai, disturbing events begin to arise.

Running time: 24 minutes
Episodes: 12
Vintage: 2013-10-02
Opening Theme:
"Kyōkai no Kanata (境界の彼方; Beyond the Boundary)" by Minori Chihara
Ending Theme:
"Daisy" by STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION
Official website:
TVアニメ『境界の彼方』公式サイト (Japanese)

Production:
Kyōkai no Kanata Production Committee
Kyoto Animation
Director: Taichi Ishidate
Series Composition: Jukki Hanada

Cast:
Kenn as Akihito Kanbara
Risa Taneda as Mirai Kuriyama
Akeno Watanabe as Shizuku Ninomiya
Ayako Kawasumi as Izumi Nase
Hiromi Konno as Yayoi Kanbara
Masaya Matsukaze as Miroku Fujima
Minori Chihara as Mitsuki Nase
Moe Toyota as Sakura Inami
Naomi Shindoh as Ayaka Shindō
Tatsuhisa Suzuki as Hirofumi Nase
Yuri Yamaoka as Ai Shindō

The biggest feature of this series is actually seeing Kyoani do some serious action. They have always given little hints of their ability to do this well before, like in the delusional sequences in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, but they've never really done a series where action is going to play a large role in nearly every episode. And guess what? They are doing it well. The fighting sequences have been fluid and some have been downright clever in the moves used.

You're not going to be knocked out by the originality of the story, and certainly not by the over-recycled character designs, but the story is being told well and it has had some genuine comedic moments, and respectable story twists.

Half of me now wants to say that this should be renamed as Moeblob on Kanata now. I'm sory but when Mirai-chan pretty much shows any kind of emotion she tends to act something along the line of Yui from K-On! here. Although when she is fighting demons she's more along th eline of acting like Nagato.

Overall I think KyoAni might of recycled the characters to the point where they combined a unique one with one of their stock ones it feels like. Luckilly I do like how the story is playing out though, since I really don't like carrying moeblob series overly as much now.
sleep.gif

This week's episode couldn't lampoon so many animes any better even if it had been done by MAD Magazine directly! This was a riot. I had to watch it a second time to catch what animes they were subtly, (some NOT so subtly) imitating.

Another reference to the size of her boobs... I'm wondering if that is going to be a running gag for this series? I personally prefer this particular character without the double-D anime treatment. It just fits her character better, I think. (Nothing wrong with double-Ds either. If you have them, awesome.)

The two boys looked pretty sharp during the performance. They should dress like that more often. They certainly wouldn't need to beg for crumbs from those two girls! But then, there'd be no story...

No Megane, NO LIFE!!! lol
laugh.gif

I kind of feel like this episode was pretty much your normal every day moeblob episode here. For some reason there wasn't really anything much that added to this story at all. I mean this episode kind of felt like a filler episode to me, becuase I kind of wondered who the guy was that obtained that stone that Yui-chan er... I mean Mirai-chan should of gotten the episode before here.

Oh yeah, it was basically a mid-season fan-service break, but a hilarious one. It also served to deepen the relationship between Mirai and Mitsuki, so it wasn't completely pointless either. And the additional face-time from Ai-chan was a great bonus in the ep. too, especially when she joined in the performance. Though, point of order, the monster wasn't supposed to care about Yomu, so she shouldn't have worked as a distraction.

So at the end of the episode, the monster remains undefeated, so that means Mitsuki stinks for life, right? Fantasies destroyed!

Regarding this latest episode, I'm just saying: 何が「ずっかずっか」よ?! xD
Mitsuki-chan is too awesome! I love how easygoing and laid-back this episode was! It was a nice change of pace in comparison to the generally hostile environment with all the fighting and seriosity which rules this show otherwise. I hope to see more of these lesser serious episodes where Mitsuki-chan is just generally cute! ^__^

The greatest thing about KyoAni is that they know that we love their previous characters and that we want them again and again. So in every show there's pretty much at least one rehashed character for our enjoyment. =)

So that was a depressing turn of events. Nice to see the back story and that Mirai was always trying to kill Akihito because he is Kyoukai no Kanata, but that leads to outcomes we certainly don't want to see. And I don't actually think we will see them. I think that except for the memories, the entire episode was essentially a lie and is all actually taking place as part of their battle. Mirai has stabbed Akihito, and they are having a sort of fight over the actual outcome in their heads, both trying to prevent the other from dying.

One thing is for sure though, Nase Izumi is a freaking bitch!

So in other words what you're saying A-chan that they are more or less doing a Sasuke v Ittachii battle ordeal here correct? Where they are just doing mind games here to see how it should all play out in the end.

In any case it kind of makes sense since Akihito's own mind is during the summer break, while his demon form is the winter state that Mirai-chan was trying to subdue.

Well I didn't expect shenanigans of this calibur either A-chan, but to be honest it was a fairly good one I might add. I mean I wasn't expecting her to end up in some mirror-like world that was above the town, and not only that, but it feels like I'm missing out on a lot of things here.

Long story short, too many plot-holes showed up this episode!!!!111111
laugh.gif

Wow...

I never got especially emotionally attached to this show in the first place, to be honest. But as I am quite the emotional person I did cry at the end of it all. ^__^
It was just such a KyoAni ending! For good and for bad. I mean, I really love all their work and they really know how to get your emotions going. But it's become a kind of clichée actually since they often do somewhat the same thing, in my opinion.

Anyway, I have to say that this last episode did bring some of the elements which I hoped for. I really did wish for Akkey to be able to master his youmu half and take control of this "beyond the boundary" entity to ultimately become a really strong guy! But instead they had to defeat it. =( That's why I'm relieved to see that it went back into him in this episode. =) As well as everything around them going back to how it was before everything bad happened was quite a relief.

But much of the occurances of this ending leaves room for several questions still in need of answering, leading to me hoping there will be a second season of this show!
Firstly, we never really got to witness what the Spirit Warrior Society really was. The only face we got to familiarize ourselves with was the one of some guy who turned out to be housing a youmu inside of himself and not really a representant of the Spirit World Society at all. So, we've really not even seen one thing about them. That leaves me very curious!
Izumi-neechan's past really got emphasized as well, leaving room for a lot of exploration on that topic as well! Same goes for Acchan's past and his whole family practically! I really wanted to see more of that mother of his when she finally was about to become serious for the first time ever!
And, of course, I would like Mitsuki-chan and her onii-chan to get some more screentime, and eventually sprout some kind of affectionate relationship. xD

Anyway, all in all, if this was the last episode, I would give it a final score of: 7/10

Love saved the world... Again. *shrugs* Oh, and love saved Mirai too, with no apparent logic behind it doing so... *shrugs*

To me the best pars of this show were the little things. The cute characters, the personality quirks, the snappy dialog. They all by far outweighed the sometimes clunky supernatural story. The many unanswered questions Silendris pointed out played into that, so maybe I shouldn't complain too much because they really could lead to another season, and then I would get more of those little things that I liked.

Also, this show was proof that Kyoani can animate action very well. But, I have to say that they weren't terribly good at choreographing interesting fight sequences with that animation. So they need to work on that.

Or they could do another season of Hyouka instead, which would make me really happy.

I just finished it and it was an okay show, I did come to like the characters but I can't really say I was attached to the series.

The first couple of episodes were kinda too slow for me or that it seemed well over 25 minutes, after the first 2 episodes...I actually ended up taking a 4 hour nap. I did come back to it as the show continued to grow stronger, it also disappointed on a few occasions, I personally don't feel that Mirai has been "punished" enough for killing her friend Yui, I mean she was possessed but a possibility of her survival might have existed but Mirai just panicked and ended up killing her. Also, what happened to Sakura's resolve to kill Mirai or was it all that she can become a spirit warrior in her sister's stead?? Like, the way Sakura just gave up and became all friendly with the person who killed her older sister...what happened to that hatred? It just felt to me like bullshit but I like Sakura's character, so I'm happy she's part of the gang now but at the same time, the show resolves things with half-assed answers that most of the time don't make sense, the same applies to the ending but I hope there is a proper explanation on how she survived if there ever is a sequel or at least in the LN series.

Despite all my complaining, I ended up scoring this series a 8/10.

I'm not a huge fan of KyoAni, you could even say they are the animation studio that I actually dislike the most and it mainly stems from their blatant over-use of moeblob and it is also why I'm quite afraid of their adaptation of Amagi Brilliant Park but then again they did do most of the animation for the FMP series and since Amagi Brilliant Park is from the same author as FMP, I guess I really shouldn't be worried about it.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back