Kotoura-san

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

nijlandp

-sama
Sempai
Title: Kotoura-san

Genre: comedy, romance

Synopsis:
Haruka Kotoura, a girl who was born with the ability to read minds, has often been shunned and alone due to her ability causing trouble for others. After transferring to a new high school, she meets Yoshihisa Manabe, a dim-witted boy who resolves to stay by her side. Together, they join their school's ESP Research Club.

First impression:
This was a very good first episode. Haruka's problem of reading minds and just saying what people really are thinking was shown in a very convincing way. Maybe she could have just remained still about what she read but as she was only a small child at the time it is understandable. Glad to see that Manabe ain't as stupid as he seems. Just like her grandpa he understands that hearing the truth ain't a bad thing. Until now this series seems worth the watch.
smile.gif

Attachments

• kotoura_san.jpg
    kotoura_san.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 153
Well after seeing the first episdoe you would think this is going to be a dark and gloomly series, and you would be right up until the first time she runs into Manabe-san in her new class. In any case I gave this series a shot since a little friend mentioned this one to me.

In any case I see the running gag of "I know what you're thinking" is going to happen with this seires as well. Since she is a mind-reader, and not by choice mind you, you know full well that there will be quite a bit of ecchi moments if she lets her guard down around Manabe-san.
tongue.gif

This whole bit kind of reminds me of a character from Touhou Series known as Satori who happens to be a mind-reading youkai so it might be easy for me to like this series if I tack on that bit to this then.
biggrin.gif

MOD Note: I had a Senior moment when I made this post. *sweatdrop*

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jan 14 2013, 08:51 PM) Well after seeing the first episdoe you would think this is going to be a dark and gloomly series, and you would be right up until the first time she runs into Manabe-san in her new class. In any case I gave this series a shot since a little friend mentioned this one to me.

In any case I see the running gag of "I know what you're thinking" is going to happen with this seires as well. Since she is a mind-reader, and not by choice mind you, you know full well that there will be quite a bit of ecchi moments if she lets her guard down around Manabe-san.
tongue.gif

MOD Note: I had a Senior moment when I made this post. *sweatdrop*
Now, wait just a darn minuto! Did you delete my post my dear Woofie-san?
dry.gif

Anyway, I can understand why you rushed to make a thread without first checking to see if one was already in the works...being you got excited and all about what looks like a very good start to what will be a funny and sad and interesting series. I adore Manabe-kun already and like Kotoura-chan despite her foot-in-mouth disease. She was a kid though and learned the hard way by trying to be silent and to isolate herself...her horrible parents...scared and selfish, glad Ojii-san came to the rescue.

This is Satori?

Yeah and ironically enough she happens to be a type of mind-reading youkai as well, with the very same name. So it also expained why the monk was invovled as well here. From the looks of it the doctors couldn't figure it out along with anyone else since this kind of problem is too advanced for our peuny science to understand anything about that field.
rolleyes.gif
laugh.gif

Also, yeah I apologize for that I kind of got a bit panicy on removing your post as well my dear Aya-tan since you did post that there was a thread for this series mind you.

So to make up for it a good pic of Satori:

http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/133390...komeiji_satori-

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jan 15 2013, 12:16 AM) Yeah and ironically enough she happens to be a type of mind-reading youkai as well, with the very same name. So it also expained why the monk was invovled as well here. From the looks of it the doctors couldn't figure it out along with anyone else since this kind of problem is too advanced for our peuny science to understand anything about that field.
rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif

Also, yeah I apologize for that I kind of got a bit panicy on removing your post as well my dear Aya-tan since you did post that there was a thread for this series mind you.

No worries my dear Woofie-san.
wink.gif
I left you a cute pic of my dear girl on your MAL profile...I found it so darn cute that I put it on my wall too. Anyway, like I said, aside from the serious mind reading issues that K-chan will have to tackle, let's see if our ecchi hero does not put her up to any antics like ecchi mind reading and such.
tongue.gif

Gonna be fun to see what she does!
Just for you my dearest Woofie-san!
tumblr_mfwjvcP6aY1rq6112o1_500.jpg

That comparison is pretty apt, considering the troubles Satori faced are extremely similar to Kotoura. Satori was ostracized and reviled even within the demon realm, and as a result only hangs around animals and lives in isolation. Im torn on this series, I liked it but theres this air of depression on top of everything that kinda kills the comedy moments for me. Hopefully Kotoura breaks out of her shell of negativity, because if she does, I see a lot of potential and it could be enjoyable.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jan 14 2013, 08:51 PM)In any case I see the running gag of "I know what you're thinking" is going to happen with this seires as well. Since she is a mind-reader, and not by choice mind you, you know full well that there will be quite a bit of ecchi moments if she lets her guard down around Manabe-san.
tongue.gif

You know Woofie-san....this is what happens when she lets her guard down during school.
tongue.gif

tumblr_mghuieGzpX1rdb25eo1_500.gif

But we also know that Manabe-kun is gonna be a handful...
laugh.gif

tumblr_mgfsxpu7Ui1rta6jko7_250.gif

I just started watching the first episode and I'm up to 7 minutes......man that is flipping tough! Her parents just abandoned her because they just didn't know what to do anymore, both having affairs because of the stress caused with sorting out Haruka's school-life and searching for a cure that doesn't exist.

DAMN....I really want to read the manga now but I can't really unless I read the RAWs since no one has translated it into English. I tried looking for the RAW manga but I can't seem to find it at all. Anyone know where I can get it?

EDIT #1:-

OMFG...Manabe is just pure awesome, I'm so glad he's like that, finally our dear Kotoura-san is able to live a more cheerful life from now on albeit very chaotic considering the animation for both the OP and ED.

In the OP, you see her mother making a return to her life possibly....her father is probably married to another woman and possibly has children now. However, mother seems to be depressed as ever from what the OP indicates and possibly might get jealous of Kotoura's newfound happiness.....she might turn out to be an occasional villain for Kotoura and gang.
rolleyes.gif

It's sad her family resulted into that, I also can't completely blame the mother but I can for the father, who just ran away the instant the problem came about and shoved onto his wife, who desperately tried to help her daughter, please her husband and save her family. Kotoura being young and innocent, unknowingly broke her family apart and caused her mother to go off the edge. Considering the criticising nature of the society, Kotoura and her family was in, crushed her mother's spirit when there was no cure to be found, she turned to alcohol to ease her soul. Her mother, Kumiko, knows what she did when she threw her glass at Kotoura and looked away from the scene because of her guilt and shame but didn't apologise because she felt it justified.

I feel pity for both Kotoura and her mother, her father however, should just rot in hell but that isn't going to be case, he's probably the only one out of the 3, who's probably living the happy life but also not since he runs away from things he can't handle because he hasn't got a "backbone".

EDIT #2:-

If you guys want to check out Kotoura-san: Haruka no Heya.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/16636/Kotoura..._Haruka_no_Heya

All 6 episodes are here:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/kotourasanCH

Episode 02 was great, it had the emotional rollercoaster as well as the fantastic comedy present and I didn't think Manabe would confront Hiyori like that. You know from the OP animation that Hiyori and Kotoura patch up things eventually. Anyways, Hiyori being jealous was great, I mean I didn't like what she did to Kotoura, in fact I wanted someone to slap her there and then but her being confronted and shouted at whilst saying he has feelings for another girl by the one she loves, must have really stung. In the preview, you see her practising in her dojo and making up a sweat.....I know she will patch things with Kotoura but I'm wondering how. I mean she knew what she was doing to Kotoura, I guess she didn't expect the repercussions and I wonder if Kotoura will try and help Hiyori confess to Manabe or would it go straight to "We are love rivals" mode. If it's a case of the latter, Kotoura will win hands down but if it's the former, then maybe Hiyori has a chance but I don't see Manabe going for her unfortunately. I know Kotoura is a "tragic" character but I see characters like Hiyori who are set up to lose from the get-go despite being in love with the main character for a very long time.....I personally find those characters "tragic" if no one else is out there for them in the boundaries of their anime world.

Man, I gotta wait for another week, currently this and Chihayafuru S2 are the only shows I'm following at the moment and up-to-date with, I'll be sure to pick up more series next week.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jan 17 2013, 03:35 PM) Episode 02 was great, it had the emotional rollercoaster as well as the fantastic comedy present and I didn't think Manabe would confront Hiyori like that. You know from the OP animation that Hiyori and Kotoura patch up things eventually. Anyways, Hiyori being jealous was great, I mean I didn't like what she did to Kotoura, in fact I wanted someone to slap her there and then but her being confronted and shouted at whilst saying he has feelings for another girl by the one she loves, must have really stung. In the preview, you see her practising in her dojo and making up a sweat.....I know she will patch things with Kotoura but I'm wondering how. I mean she knew what she was doing to Kotoura, I guess she didn't expect the repercussions and I wonder if Kotoura will try and help Hiyori confess to Manabe or would it go straight to "We are love rivals" mode. If it's a case of the latter, Kotoura will win hands down but if it's the former, then maybe Hiyori has a chance but I don't see Manabe going for her unfortunately. I know Kotoura is a "tragic" character but I see characters like Hiyori who are set up to lose from the get-go despite being in love with the main character for a very long time.....I personally find those characters "tragic" if no one else is out there for them in the boundaries of their anime world.

Man, I gotta wait for another week, currently this and Chihayafuru S2 are the only shows I'm following at the moment and up-to-date with, I'll be sure to pick up more series next week.
This was a good episode.

Manabe was one of the first characters that handled a friend being bullied the right way.

He didn't wait around like he didn't know who was doing it. He figure it out and addressed it immediately

QUOTE (Hyuuga @ Jan 17 2013, 05:30 PM) This was a good episode. Manabe was one first characters that handled a friend being bullied the right way.
He didn't wait around like he didn't know who was doing it. He figure it out and addressed it immediately
Thus is the reason Manabe-kun is my hero...lucky K-chan is blessed to have him in her corner.
wink.gif
This one may prove my favorite for this otherwise lackluster Winter season irregardless of what anyone else says.
tongue.gif

One thing I appreciated (aside from Manabe nipping the bully issue in the bud right away) is the fact that we fans were not subjected to an overkill drama filler arc of why, where, when and how it all came about. Glad for it.

Thats one thing that always bugged me about some anime when someone is being bullied in the class and ts obvious whose doing it but everyone acts like they don't know.

Then several episodes later the persons friends are shocked they were being bullied.
dry.gif

Well I got to say that I am enojying this series so far, and after episode 2 she runs into the same problem that she always had in her previous schools here. Although it was more along the line of the girl who has a thing for Manabe-kun thinking that Kotoura-chan was trying to steal him awa from her by being able to read minds.

At least he openly explained to the girl that he approached her about it and wanted to stick with her no matter what comes thier way, and top it all off he even openly confessed that he liked Kotoura-chan because of it.

Besides his delusional fantasies are a lot of fun to see since she would never honestly ever do those things at all.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Hyuuga @ Jan 18 2013, 02:30 AM)Manabe was one of the first characters that handled a friend being bullied the right way.

He sure did do the right thing. Most of the times the thing is downplayed in animes but this time we get a main character who reacts. He may have hurt Hiyori but she really needed to be put in her place.
Hiyori is a bit sad though: she doesn't seem to want to lead the dojo but as it seems she doesn't have a choice in the matter...

Well with episode 3 we kind of have the love triangle setup with Kotoura-chan, Manabe-kun, and Hiyori-chan here. The thing is it looks like Kotoura-chan finally felt a bit of happiness here it was all taken away in an instant it seems.

From the looks of it Manabe-kun was content with being around Kotoura-chan becuase of how he tend to enjoy his time with her, and how he likes to think of doing ero ero things to her as well. Heck the whole wolf and sheep delusion was such a cute scene there.
tongue.gif

So from the looks of the next epsidoe it seems the ESP Club is going to go out and look for her, since she probably thinks this was all her fault that he got hurt becuase of her.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jan 25 2013, 11:29 AM) Heck the whole wolf and sheep delusion was such a cute scene there.
tongue.gif

It was a cute ero-scene and one I laughed at since I thought of a cute little Wolf who lives on a certain website while watching.
wink.gif
K-chan seems to go all out in these fancy fantasies that Manabe-kun indulges in...but I wonder if he would approve in real life.
tongue.gif
I am glad she is going to be making his bentos from now on...a sweet boy like him needs lotsa lovin.
Now, I was very disappointed that K-chan took a coward's view of things or a weakling's view. Typical anime tripe/fare to have a female main character take that route since I suppose the producers wanna milk the drama for all its worth.
dry.gif
Major turn off for me but I will get around to giving her a pass if she musters up enough sense and courage to face her demons head on.
After all, she was courageous enough to let that odious girl, who had Manabe-kun beat up, get a pass so I could not understand why she held back, gave into cowardice/fear, and ran away...if she is gonna be taken seriously, she will have to do better than that...she needs to look up to M-kun and the fine example he set.
We'll see what happens...hoping we don't get anymore drama/melodrama/tripe.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Jan 26 2013, 10:32 AM) It was a cute ero-scene and one I laughed at since I thought of a cute little Wolf who lives on a certain website while watching.
wink.gif
K-chan seems to go all out in these fancy fantasies that Manabe-kun indulges in...but I wonder if he would approve in real life.
tongue.gif
I am glad she is going to be making his bentos from now on...a sweet boy like him needs lotsa lovin.
Now, I was very disappointed that K-chan took a coward's view of things or a weakling's view. Typical anime tripe/fare to have a female main character take that route since I suppose the producers wanna milk the drama for all its worth.
dry.gif
Major turn off for me but I will get around to giving her a pass if she musters up enough sense and courage to face her demons head on.
After all, she was courageous enough to let that odious girl, who had Manabe-kun beat up, get a pass so I could not understand why she held back, gave into cowardice/fear, and ran away...if she is gonna be taken seriously, she will have to do better than that...she needs to look up to M-kun and the fine example he set.
We'll see what happens...hoping we don't get anymore drama/melodrama/tripe.
rolleyes.gif

I agree with the drama - totally unnecessary, but I suppose the only reason why she gave that annoying girl a pass was probably because she cared more for Manabe.
Her wacked out reasoning at the end was really unexpected though - I mean clearly Manabe didn't care that he was hurt (such is his love
wub.gif
) and she completely and totally missed it!
ARGH!
dry.gif
I can only hope next episode gets better!

It was a bit strange to have such drama suddenly. Kotoura should know that Manabe doesn't care about getting hurt. The sudden disappearance of Kotoura is (as said) going to make the ESP club go look for her. Maybe that will be the connection to Kotoura's mother and grandfather (like the ESP club will meet them and start fixing the trouble between Koroura and her mother)?
The club president is still a bit suspicious...what is her hidden motive? Getting the truth of ESP out??
The joke of the wolf and sheep was fun.

It was a nice episode. The ESP club did exactly the right thing in getting Manabe to do something about it and not just give up. That grandpa is a bit of a freak...
blink.gif

So Hiyori recognized what she has done and actually helped to convince Kotoura to come back. Now just the question remains what she will do about Kotoura and Manabe.

I was so caught up with my Monster marathon last week that I forgot to share my thoughts on episode 03 for Kotoura-san and episode 04 for Maoyuu Maou Yuusha.

Episode 04, I watched during my train ride back to London for the weekend. It was a funny episode and not as serious as previous episodes, apparently, the events leading up to his hospitalisation in the manga was a lot different with Moritani claiming she was raped and Manabe eventually getting stabbed but in the anime the events are toned down significantly.

The revelation that Kotoura's grandfather being a pervert much like Manabe was hilarious and I loved the fact that Kotoura didn't really say anything bad about it, she just complained a little but knew her grandfather was good at heart.....I lol'ed when he started describing her "sweet thighs".
laugh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back