Japanese Titles/Honorifics!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
when you say it
dry.gif
, chan gets used on both sexes kun also, nasashi fron venus versus virus always says, Sumire-kun

*some notes

O/お adds respect to the word, and can be translated as 'Honorable.' there are several words in the japanese language which require the O (for example, tea), otherwise people will look at you funny, which if you're not japanese, happens enough already.

(none): uber closeness

chi and similar: made up honourifics, usually used by young girls towards their friends.

chan: shows close familiarity/or superiority of the user(though rarely used in this case), and has a feminine conontation.

kun: shows close familiarity/or superiority by the user(though rarely used in this case), and has a masculine conontation.

san: general honourific (Mr. Mrs. Ms.), you're safe using this.

dono: often used as a respectful honourific, but has little or no significance to status (ex: 'back in the day,' nobles would use dono when refering to people). very rare now days.

sama: very respectfull honourific, and is someone you either repect highly, or should have reason to fear.

Daft-sempai!! Come and give me special title! Onegai desu!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
-> Just kidding... I finally got over 1000
smile.gif
Thats my 1001
tongue.gif
And I've been thinking... its almost a year since I've joined the FTV. At first it was because I needed to download some stuff. Then I joined forum and kept downloading... and finally... I'm not downloading anything from Fansub TV, yet I keep writing here... evolution, isn't?
smile.gif
-darn, I got carried away
smile.gif

QUOTE I finally got over 1000 smile.gif Thats my 1001 tongue.gif Hahah yeah and I just saw that you posted like a berserker in the Thoughtful Section for that in a half hour
tongue.gif
. So I guess that means the only title which you can get now can only come personally from daft, well I wonder what title you are going to get then
laugh.gif

berserker aint that bad either... the point is I had in mind to join discussions in thoughtful section for some time now but I focused all my spare time on NGE thread, Bleach one and Naruto... so now, when I was only 10 posts before 1000 I decided to spend some time there...
smile.gif
tongue.gif

Nonetheless I would never be able to keep up with some people here...
biggrin.gif
I know a guy who made almost 2000 posts in 4 months
smile.gif
tongue.gif
I'll try not to write so much simultanously in the future
smile.gif
but again... 'berserker'
tongue.gif
lol nice idea
tongue.gif

QUOTE Nonetheless I would never be able to keep up with some people here... biggrin.gif I know a guy who made almost 2000 posts in 4 months smile.gif tongue.gif I'll try not to write so much simultanously in the future smile.gif but again... 'berserker' tongue.gif lol nice idea tongue.gif Hahaha oh yeah I know who you mean, I also just thought about this one
laugh.gif
, well he really sometime posts like a berserker
tongue.gif
, ah well but I don´t care about that he´s a funny guy
biggrin.gif

Yeah you´re right, I haven´t know that you also like Captain Tsubasa
laugh.gif

May I remind you guys that you guys are going a bit way off-topic here. If you wish to continue your discussion, do so via PM.

yeah sorry for that... I'm off to delete my previous post...
smile.gif

deleted
smile.gif

like it was said before. Suffix does not only depend on number of posts you make. You're FTV member for over 2 months now, its only natural that system assigned you with -chi when you started posting...

QUOTE (qrdel @ May 14 2007, 04:18 PM) like it was said before. Suffix does not only depend on number of posts you make. You're FTV member for over 2 months now, its only natural that system assigned you with -chi when you started posting...
2 MONTHS
blink.gif
!!!! there must be a system error
ohmy.gif
...i don't think I've been here that long
wink.gif
......or have i
unsure.gif
??....what the hell have i been doing
sad.gif
???

-chi refers a newcomer, newcomer
wink.gif

Plus, you're here for over one month now.

Geeezus, tell me... was I blind when checking his info or system really crashed and I've seen march... thouroughly sorry for that!!! <crying>

For a technical description see Wikipedia Japanese_titles
From linked article -sama is a formal version of -san, also says used with people of higher rank
-dono mean lord, seems to imply some sort of feudal relationship.
Side note: saw in some Naruto translation -dono is used for Samurai

ok
thanks for the information. I was so happy when i discoverd that i had a suffix.

well i guess i'm happy with simple things.

No worries andrastea-san!
wink.gif
I used to be excited over the same thing too.
wink.gif

If I'm not mistaken

-chi-->5 posts
-chan-->50 posts
-san-->150 posts
-dono(tono)-->500 posts
-sama-->1000 posts

Maybe the time you've been here also affected that,but I'm not sure of things.

and there's some alternate suffix,whether given by daft-sama,our FTV's Leader,OR a title picked by the members themselves.(this is limited to senior members only.)

so... -chan=little girls
-kun=guys..
what would i be called...
(15 yr old girl)

QUOTE (fyexchi @ Jun 11 2007, 10:38 PM) so... -chan=little girls
-kun=guys..
what would i be called...
(15 yr old girl)
chi or san should work just fine.... I think. I could be wrong though.
blink.gif

I would say -chan, since it sounds cute
tongue.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back