Japanese Titles/Honorifics!

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more

mamori

-sama
Sempai
*some notes

O/お adds respect to the word, and can be translated as 'Honorable.' there are several words in the japanese language which require the O (for example, tea), otherwise people will look at you funny, which if you're not japanese, happens enough already.

(none): uber closeness

chi and similar: made up honourifics, usually used by young girls towards their friends.

chan: shows close familiarity/or superiority of the user(though rarely used in this case), and has a feminine conontation.

kun: shows close familiarity/or superiority by the user(though rarely used in this case), and has a masculine conontation.

san: general honourific (Mr. Mrs. Ms.), you're safe using this.

dono: often used as a respectful honourific, but has little or no significance to status (ex: 'back in the day,' nobles would use dono when refering to people). very rare now days.

sama: very respectfull honourific, and is someone you either repect highly, or should have reason to fear.

qrdel

- OldTimer
Sempai
Daft-sempai!! Come and give me special title! Onegai desu!
-> Just kidding... I finally got over 1000
Thats my 1001
And I've been thinking... its almost a year since I've joined the FTV. At first it was because I needed to download some stuff. Then I joined forum and kept downloading... and finally... I'm not downloading anything from Fansub TV, yet I keep writing here... evolution, isn't?
-darn, I got carried away

JunMisugi

-書籍の恋人
Fansub TV Team
QUOTE I finally got over 1000 smile.gif Thats my 1001 tongue.gif Hahah yeah and I just saw that you posted like a berserker in the Thoughtful Section for that in a half hour
. So I guess that means the only title which you can get now can only come personally from daft, well I wonder what title you are going to get then

qrdel

- OldTimer
Sempai
berserker aint that bad either... the point is I had in mind to join discussions in thoughtful section for some time now but I focused all my spare time on NGE thread, Bleach one and Naruto... so now, when I was only 10 posts before 1000 I decided to spend some time there...

Nonetheless I would never be able to keep up with some people here...
I know a guy who made almost 2000 posts in 4 months
I'll try not to write so much simultanously in the future
but again... 'berserker'
lol nice idea

JunMisugi

-書籍の恋人
Fansub TV Team
QUOTE Nonetheless I would never be able to keep up with some people here... biggrin.gif I know a guy who made almost 2000 posts in 4 months smile.gif tongue.gif I'll try not to write so much simultanously in the future smile.gif but again... 'berserker' tongue.gif lol nice idea tongue.gif Hahaha oh yeah I know who you mean, I also just thought about this one
, well he really sometime posts like a berserker
, ah well but I don´t care about that he´s a funny guy

Yeah you´re right, I haven´t know that you also like Captain Tsubasa

hamasusuke

-aniue
Retired
May I remind you guys that you guys are going a bit way off-topic here. If you wish to continue your discussion, do so via PM.

qrdel

- OldTimer
Sempai
yeah sorry for that... I'm off to delete my previous post...

deleted

qrdel

- OldTimer
Sempai
like it was said before. Suffix does not only depend on number of posts you make. You're FTV member for over 2 months now, its only natural that system assigned you with -chi when you started posting...

killorbekilled

-san
Kouhai
QUOTE (qrdel @ May 14 2007, 04:18 PM) like it was said before. Suffix does not only depend on number of posts you make. You're FTV member for over 2 months now, its only natural that system assigned you with -chi when you started posting...
2 MONTHS
!!!! there must be a system error
...i don't think I've been here that long
......or have i
??....what the hell have i been doing
???

hamasusuke

-aniue
Retired
-chi refers a newcomer, newcomer

Plus, you're here for over one month now.

qrdel

- OldTimer
Sempai
Geeezus, tell me... was I blind when checking his info or system really crashed and I've seen march... thouroughly sorry for that!!! <crying>

scc

-chi
Kouhai
For a technical description see Wikipedia Japanese_titles
From linked article -sama is a formal version of -san, also says used with people of higher rank
-dono mean lord, seems to imply some sort of feudal relationship.
Side note: saw in some Naruto translation -dono is used for Samurai

adrastea

-chi
Kouhai
ok
thanks for the information. I was so happy when i discoverd that i had a suffix.

well i guess i'm happy with simple things.

d'observer

-Procrastination Expert
Sempai
No worries andrastea-san!
I used to be excited over the same thing too.

If I'm not mistaken

-chi-->5 posts
-chan-->50 posts
-san-->150 posts
-dono(tono)-->500 posts
-sama-->1000 posts

Maybe the time you've been here also affected that,but I'm not sure of things.

and there's some alternate suffix,whether given by daft-sama,our FTV's Leader,OR a title picked by the members themselves.(this is limited to senior members only.)

fyexchi

Kouhai
so... -chan=little girls
-kun=guys..
what would i be called...
(15 yr old girl)

Nightdragon

TSiF-Tearraven
Retired
QUOTE (fyexchi @ Jun 11 2007, 10:38 PM) so... -chan=little girls
-kun=guys..
what would i be called...
(15 yr old girl)
chi or san should work just fine.... I think. I could be wrong though.

JunMisugi

-書籍の恋人
Fansub TV Team
I would say -chan, since it sounds cute