Isshūkan Friends

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Masich

-san
Sempai
keyv2_01.jpg

Title: One Week Friends
Japanese: 一週間フレンズ。
Genres: Drama, Romance, Comedy
Airing Date: 6/4/2014 (TV series 12 episodes)
Original Creator: Matcha Hazuki
Original Character Designer: Eri Yamazaki
Director: Tarou Iwasaki
Assistant Director: Shoutarou Suga
Music by: Ruka Kawada
Sound Director: Satoshi Motoyama
Color Key: Ritsuko Utakawa
Editing: Daisuke Imai
Studio: Brain's Base
Network: AT-X, BS11 Digital, Mainichi Broadcasting System, Tokyo MX TV
Opening theme: "Niji no Kakera" by Natsumi Kon
Ending theme: "Kanade" by Sora Amamiya
chara02_off.png
Yūki Hase
chara01_on.png
Kaori Fujimiya
chara03_on.png
Shōgo Kiryū
chara04_on.png
Saki Yamagishi
chara07_on.png
Hajime Kujō
chara05_off.png
Shiho Fujimiya
chara06_off.png
Jun Inoue
Main cast: Yūki Hase 長谷 祐樹 voiced by: Yoshitaka Yamaya
Kaori Fujimiya 藤宮 香織 voiced by: Sora Amamiya
Shōgo Kiryū 桐生 将吾 voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya
Saki Yamagishi 山岸 沙希 voiced by: Rumi Ōkubo
Hajime Kujō 九条 一 voiced by: Shintarō Asanuma
Classmates:
Maiko Serizawa 芹澤 舞子 voiced by: Asuka Kakumoto
Ai Nishimura 西村 藍 voiced by: Rui Tanabe
Others:
Shiho Fujimiya 藤宮 志穂 voiced by: Mai Nakahara
Jun Inoue 井上 潤 voiced by: Junji Majima
TV PVs & CMs: http://www.oneweekfriends.com/movie.html
Official website: http://www.oneweekfriends.com/

Synopsis High schooler Yūki Hase notices that his classmate Kaori Fujimiya is always alone and seemingly has no friends. After approaching her and becoming acquainted, Kaori reveals that she loses every memory of her friends each Monday. Despite learning this, Yūki endeavors to become her new friend every week.

This anime is very easy going, As I saw that it didn't had a thread, which others noticed as well, I decided to try and make a thread.

One week friends...

Out of experiences with animes such as: Ef: A Tale of Memories.
or Live action-Movies such as: 50 First dates..

This 1 did had my lowest expectations.
I must say, aside from the fact that after seeing either 1 of them,
or think logical...You can easily predict the whole story/development/cliches
that will come forth in it.

Overall, the characters are pretty much plain & simple, sometimes a bit dramatic or in worst case, overly self thinking. But, the story does have a pretty average speed in development.
So far the Anime has been predictable as much as it can, Yet, it is still rather *relaxing* and
entertaining to watch.
I do wonder how they are going to end the Anime, Highly doubt there will be a second season.
So... Have fun watching and I hope for a good ending.

Indeed the context of this series ain't very original. The characters also miss the serious depth which may be needed for the kind of story. Hase is a nice guy to keep on trying with Kaori. The last few episodes he gave a feeling of maybe giving up on Kaori which gave it a bit more drama. Kaori herself lacks feeling but as she needs to remain neutral due to loss of memory it is okay.
Shogo and Saki are interesting since a few episodes. Shogo may the most emotionless person in the series but the bit of chemistry with Saki give a nice deeper feeling between them. Saki and him would be okay as a couple in the end of the series: the difficulty that they would have to be together is a nice diversion to the trouble of Hase and Kaori.
As Masich says: this series is indeed relaxing
smile.gif
but is a good watch.

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jun 11 2014, 12:38 PM)Shogo and Saki are interesting since a few episodes. Shogo may the most emotionless person in the series but the bit of chemistry with Saki give a nice deeper feeling between them. Saki and him would be okay as a couple in the end of the series: the difficulty that they would have to be together is a nice diversion to the trouble of Hase and Kaori.
As Masich says: this series is indeed relaxing   but is a good watch.

Diversion to the trouble of Hase and Kaori?, I thought Shogo & Saki were the main couple xD.
I do hope Shogo & Sagi end up together, at this point I hate to refer to a other anime, but I can't let it go.. Same thing as with Bokura wa minna Kawaisou, I am cheering more for the Supporting characters then the actual Main Characters.

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jun 11 2014, 11:38 AM)Shogo and Saki are interesting since a few episodes. Shogo may the most emotionless person in the series but the bit of chemistry with Saki give a nice deeper feeling between them.
I love Shogo-kun! He is laid back and sexy, in his own what...14 year old way?
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
He is no pushover either...he hates whining and busy bodies (something we have in common)
rolleyes.gif
His are some of the best one liners in an anime for like the longest time when watching silly, school life dramadies or over-the-top immature antics that are cliched beyond words.

Now, as far as he goes in hooking up with Saki-chan?
blink.gif
I am in the minority here since she is more a sister than a lover...I can't picture it...just can't. She's cute and all but too much a baby like girl.

Hottie-kun deserves a real high school girl like one of Saki's friends maybe? He should not be stuck babysitting in high school..he already has his hands full with the crybaby, Hase-kun.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Masich @ Jun 11 2014, 10:35 PM)
Diversion to the trouble of Hase and Kaori?, I thought Shogo & Saki were the main couple xD.
I do hope Shogo & Sagi end up together, at this point I hate to refer to a other anime, but I can't let it go.. Same thing as with Bokura wa minna Kawaisou, I am cheering more for the Supporting characters then the actual Main Characters.

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Jun 12 2014, 12:37 AM)I love Shogo-kun! He is laid back and sexy, in his own what...14 year old way? He is no pushover either...he hates whining and busy bodies (something we have in common) His are some of the best one liners in an anime for like the longest time when watching silly, school life dramadies or over-the-top immature antics that are cliched beyond words.

Now, as far as he goes in hooking up with Saki-chan? I am in the minority here since she is more a sister than a lover...I can't picture it...just can't. She's cute and all but too much a baby like girl.

Hottie-kun deserves a real high school girl like one of Saki's friends maybe? He should not be stuck babysitting in high school..he already has his hands full with the crybaby, Hase-kun.

I may have to agree with you both. Shogo and Saki are more interesting than the main characters...which is pretty awkward. It may not be the first series in which that happened and not the last. Bokura does indeed have the same thing happening to it. It does not have to make a bad series when it happens but it can make the story climax a lot weaker..

Shogo does indeed keep on supporting Hase. If Hase would just get a bit more decisive he could do it himself. Shogo as a kind of brother to Saki is okay for now. If Hase finally gets on his own feet she could become more to Shogo. Saki does have faults but she seems to be decisive so when Shogo is free of Hase it may work out between Shogo and Saki.

QUOTE (Masich @ Jun 10 2014, 08:55 AM) One week friends...

Out of experiences with animes such as: Ef: A Tale of Memories.
or Live action-Movies such as: 50 First dates..

This 1 did had my lowest expectations.
I must say, aside from the fact that after seeing either 1 of them,
or think logical...You can easily predict the whole story/development/cliches
that will come forth in it.

Overall, the characters are pretty much plain & simple, sometimes a bit dramatic or in worst case, overly self thinking. But, the story does have a pretty average speed in development.
So far the Anime has been predictable as much as it can, Yet, it is still rather *relaxing* and
entertaining to watch.
I do wonder how they are going to end the Anime, Highly doubt there will be a second season.
So... Have fun watching and I hope for a good ending.
To me it was a bit of the oposite (i think its the second time i quote Masich saying that lol), i was expecting it to feel brutal like Ef:

But so far while its a bit sad it doesnt feel brutal, and the BGMs are, well they are moodmaking me into thinking this is one of the best animes of this year.

I was expecting this to be bad in an evangelion sort of way (were the anime is good but the ending is so evil that it ends up feeling like a bad memory) but it doesnt look like its rotting that much.

Those friends were not so nice to Kaoru. Finally we get the reason what happened in the past. Hase also seems to start with trouble as he feels to want more than just special friends. It probably will need to get out in the open as Kaoru is pretty oblivious of his feelings at that point..
The other pretty nice bit is Saki and Shogo. They are having trouble of their own. Saki feels she was too open towards Shogo although it probably won't bother Shogo. If he can handle the trouble of Hase and Kaoru the remark of Saki is just a small thing.

One Week Friends, Review time!
QUOTE (Masich @ Jun 10 2014, 05:55 AM)Overall, the characters are pretty much plain & simple, sometimes a bit dramatic or in worst case, overly self thinking. But, the story does have a pretty average speed in development.
entertaining to watch.
Highly doubt there will be a second season. So... Have fun watching and I hope for a good ending.
I..., actually have nothing else to add, aside from my rating and only a comment about the ending: I find the ending to be realistic. Of course for others (Personally) it can be a difference alternating between being good or bad... but... yeah, realistic. I got nothing to add, I simply...can't...argue with it!?
I can explain what my reason for it is : *Read the Synopsis*. The anime includes the genres: comedy/drama/romance. If that is it..., then I actually (despite my quote), got nothing to complain o_O!?

My rating for One Week Friends: 9,3/10
Animation: 8/10
Story: 10/10 (it is realistic, I can't argue with it).
Characters: 10/10

The anime is predictable.. But.. if it gives what it advertises.. I really got nothing to complain o_O , that is going to shock me for today...

It was a nice series. In the end Kaoru and Hase didn't get further much in their relationship. However they did have some nice moments in the end to show that they both want more than just their original friendship. Shogo and Saki again had a very good part with their own connection to each other.
In all the series was a nice 7.5 out of 10 for me.

So, when I saw this series in the upcoming series image before the season started, I did a fist pump and let out my best manly squee, since this has been one of my favorite manga since discovering it last year. As has been said before, the story isn't terribly original, but the execution is phenomenal, and the characters endearing. The art isn't amazing, yet attractive in its own way. (I want the kaleidoscope scene from the OP as an animated desktop wallpaper..!)

As a little bit of Trivia, the manga is a hybrid: half 4 koma, half manga. (Like Azumanga Daioh, but less 4koma!)

I was very pleased at the adaptation of the first episode, but then I went on my vacation and bandwidth windows being what they were, I ended up having to put this one off until I got back, and marathoned it yesterday and today, so, here's my whole series impression:

This is still one of my favorites, and one of- if not the best show of the cour.

Over the course of the series I was impressed by the subtle attention to detail on the "holes" in Kaori's condition- "My favorite number is the number one!" Echoed later by someone significant: "I used to hate my name, Hajime, written with a single stroke, the same kanji as the number one." Even some of the little things echo strongly: Such as Kaori's lie about always going out of town for summer and winter vacation. Hase probably subconsciously realized it when he came up with a similar excuse to dodge winter trips.

The secondary characters, Shougo and Saki, were also interesting in their own right. I found the developments with them pleasing, from Shougo's maturity, calm confidence and straightforward personality to Saki's immaturity, emotional strength and emotional sensitivity. They make a good foils to each other, especially with Saki being the only person who can put a chink that seemingly invincible armor that guards his emotions.

The finale was also a beautiful presentation of something obvious: both people have to want to be friends to make a friendship work. It was so beautiful seeing Kaori and Hase mend their relationship, then begin their friendship anew, full force, with equal desire to remain friends.

The tertiary cast was also pretty good, from Kaori's "Very understanding mother" to the inseparable duo of Ai and Maiko. (I can never remember which is which, tho'.)

You know what one thing we DIDN'T see this series? A 30 year old single female teacher.

Episode 11 and 12 were refreshing, the last manga chapter I read was 16 and so the events of those last 2 episodes as well as episode 10 were all new to me. There was an added scene of Hajime moving back in the manga that was skipped in the anime but it made sense to skip it as he was being introduced in that very chapter, whereas that scene takes place at an end of a chapter to signify an imminent threat in the next chapter or 2.

The manga raws are up to chapter 31 I think, not sure how much of the manga the anime adapted but I reckon it's adapted up to a chapter in the 20's. Since the manga started back in 2012 and the anime almost used up all the manga material, I'm going on a hunch that we probably won't see a 2nd season unless the DVD/Blu-ray have great sales but even if that happens, it will probably take another 2 years to see it happen.

The anime was great and is a series that I will describe as a soft shoujo despite having tragic incident happening in the past of one the characters. I wonder if Naomi, the girl who got all of Kaori's elementary friends to turn against her, will ever come back into the main story.

Overall, this was a nice anime and the score I'm going to brand it with is a 9/10.

EDIT #1:-

Apparently the anime completely deviated from the manga in the last 2 episodes. I'm gonna start reading the manga again after the World Cup matches today.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jun 29 2014, 06:42 AM) Episode 11 and 12 were refreshing, the last manga chapter I read was 16 and so the events of those last 2 episodes as well as episode 10 were all new to me. There was an added scene of Hajime moving back in the manga that was skipped in the anime but it made sense to skip it as he was being introduced in that very chapter, whereas that scene takes place at an end of a chapter to signify an imminent threat in the next chapter or 2.
Wasn't that scene was actually after the credits roll, in place of the next ep preview?

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing at least an abbreviated version of it.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back