I would like to help.

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

ookamioni

-san
Kouhai
I just bought a web server and i was wondering if there was any way for me to help out in the FANSUB group if at all possible. At the moment i dont think I'm personaly going to use 6000GB of webspace by myself seeing as i really only have ever used 1TB at most. and that included games and operating system. (and various other questionable files
ph34r.gif
)

Ive been a huge fan of this site and i was just wondering if there was any way i could help. Thought maybe the webspace could be used as an additional MULE server, or somthing of the sorts. Id love to hear back from Daft or any of the senior members on this - love it more if I could be useful.
wink.gif

reopened

I have to absolutely agree with Daft on this. If you have say 1000 people each downloading 1GB from your server a week then you would have used 1TB of bandwidth not including whatever overhead your server may take when sending files and for a homepage / file list (if you have your own). The thing with servers is that they don't just charge you for space but also for how much upload / download you generate.

I don't know what you mean by 'buying' a web server but usually they are rented out and are given a certain amount of upload and download. If you go over the upload / download limits you get charged an overusage fee plus a higher than normal price per MB/GB that you went over the limit.

If you would be just giving Fansub.tv the bandwidth and storage then you won't make any money to compensate for the costs of your server (I mean they could pay you but they could also just get more room / bandwidth from whoever they deal with possibly at a lower price)

If you have the server and want to do something with it why not just set up your own site and let people upload stuff to your server and download from it? That way you aren't limited by what fansub.tv allows or what they need. I'm sure many people would help you fill your server with files and then you have full control over the whole process.

come on, give that man a pat on the back at least - at least he's trying to help out here. i agree with you langes01x that its most likely that there'll be alot of useage but at least he's trying to help. even so, its his choice to help out and stuff - if he wanted to set his own site up he'd have done so without offering help. just saying thats all
smile.gif

my 2 cents

sad.gif
lol i wasn't looking at this cuz last time i did it was closed
mad.gif
lol

Anyway - no, im charged by the year. 60000 GB bandwidth, i think. PHP CGI and i dont think it has ASP or ASP.NET cuz its a penguin system
cool.gif

Are you sure you actually have 6000GB worth of space to store files? That sure seems like a lot. Then again I haven't actually ever checked out the prices of web servers before so I wouldn't know what to expect.

Just wondering and you need not answer this if you find it offensive but what had you originally intended to do with the web server in the first place?

It's bandwidth; there's a difference between bandwidth and server space. By having a restricted bandwidth, it means that you can download/upload up to x-amount of data to/from the server in the prescribed amount of time (usually it's per month, but in ookamioni's case, it's apparently per year).

I'm not sure how much ookamioni has, since in the first post it was listed as 6,000 GB; but in the most recent post it was listed as 60,000 GB (thats 10x more bandwidth, and in numbers of GB thats a really big difference...). But either way, that would mean that in one years time he can have up to 6000(0) GB of data transfer to and from the server.

oops i think i may have added an extra 0.. lmao ill double check it later

I know the difference between server space and bandwidth. What I was saying is that Ookamioni reported in his first post:
QUOTE (ookamioni @ Nov 29 2007, 01:13 AM)i dont think I'm personaly going to use 6000GB of webspace by myself
Thus I assumed that he knew what he was saying and that he had 6TB worth of HD space in his server. I was just trying to confirm whether he actually had 6TB of storage space or whether he had mistaken that number for something else.

I'm assuming he has 6TB of bandwidth and probably more like (10GB maximum if shared / 80+GB if dedicated) server space.

EDIT: I found a couple places that offer super cheap hosting with crazy amounts of bandwidth. I'm talking 300+GB storage space and 2000+GB bandwidth for at most 10$ a month. Bandwidth is per month as well.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back