Hataraku Maou-sama!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: The Devil is a Part-Timer!
Japanese: はたらく魔王さま!
Date aired: 4/4/2013 (TV series, 13 episodes)
Genres: Comedy, Fantasy, Love-Romance, Shounen
Director: Naoto Hosoda
Original creator: Satoshi Wagahara
Original character designs by: Oniku (029)
Written by: Masahiro Yokotani
Music by: Ryosuke Nakanishi
Character designs by: Atsushi Ikariya
Produced by: Lantis and Pony Canyon
Studio: White Fox
Opening theme: "ZERO!!" by Minami Kuribayashi
Ending theme: "Gekka (月花 Moon Flower)" by nano.RIPE
2nd ED theme: "Star Chart" (スターチャート) by nano.RIPE
Network: Tokyo MX, Sun TV, KBS, TV Aichi, AT-X
Main cast: Sadao Maō (真奥 貞夫) / Satan Jacob (サタン・ジャコブ)http://moe.animecharactersdatabase.com/uploads/chars/5688-1423568857.png voiced by Ryōta Ōsaka

Emi Yusa (遊佐 恵美) / Emilia Justina (エミリア・ユスティーナ)http://moe.animecharactersdatabase.com/uploads/chars/5688-1929999045.png voiced by Yōko Hikasa

Chiho Sasaki (佐々木 千穂) voiced by Nao Tōyama

Shirō Ashiya (芦屋 四郎) / Alsiel (アルシエル)http://moe.animecharactersdatabase.com/uploads/chars/5688-2028052992.png voiced by Yūki Ono

Hanzō Urushihara (漆原 半蔵) / Lucifer (ルシフェル)http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130402154744/hataraku/images/f/fa/Hanzo-design.jpg

Suzuno Kamazuki (鎌月 鈴乃) / Crestia Bell (クレスティア・ベル)http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130402155008/hataraku/images/d/de/Suzuno-design.jpg voiced by Kanae Itō

Mayumi Kisaki (木崎 真弓) voiced by Yumi Uchiyama
Miki Shiba (志波美輝) voiced by Kimiko Saitō
Emerada Etūva (エメラダ・エトゥーヴァ) voiced by Azumi Asakura
Albert Ende (アルバート・エンデ) voiced by Hiroki Yasumoto
Orba Meiyā (オルバ・メイヤー) voiced by Katsuhisa Hōki
Rika Suzuki (鈴木 梨香) voiced by Asuka Nishi
Mitsuki Sarue (猿江 三月) / Sariel (サリエル) voiced by Yūichi Iguchi
TV series PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zbHfpdehug
TV PV 2 (unedit scenes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOpaIgPyZz0
Official website: http://maousama.jp/

Synopsis: Devil King Sadao is only one step away from conquering the world when he is beaten by Hero Emilia and forced to drift to the other world: modern-day Tokyo. As "conquering the world" are the only skills the Devil King possesses—and are obviously unnecessary in his new situation—he must work as a freeter to pay for his living expenses!

Necropinion: this JRPG parody caught my attention reminding me to anime like Thermae Romae and Saint Young Men, where gaijins from the past or another dimension get in trouble while trying to adapt into the modern japanese society... also I must mention that the intro was awesome and it's one of the main reasons why I'll check out the next episodes, I suppose most part of this series takes place on the present but still I hope to see more JRPG stuff -.- Ex: low - PS: 7/10

Okay..

There are TWO animes that I want to see from this series now.

1: The animation and fight scenes were the best that I've seen in a few season with the possible exception of Psycho-Pass, and only because Psycho-Pass didn't have magic. I'd love a series that followed that storyline more in-depth. A season could be each of the surrounding islands, and a 5th season or special to handle the fight on the central one. Yes, I'd be happy to see that happen if they could maintain the same level of quality!

2: The story from once they arrive on Earth has been over-done in recent years, (Think "Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox" in reverse) but this particular take on it has the potential to be TRULY demented (In a GOOD way), so I'm interested to see if this becaomes a now-typical harem comedy, or if they'll stretch their "creative legs" a bit and actually go for something more. (I'm really hoping that they go for something more this time instead of settling once again for the now-tired harem formula!)

I didn't expect much from the previews, but I am tentatively holding-out hope that this one will surprise us pleasantly this season.

This show pleasantly surprised me
smile.gif
I thought it was hilarious, especially when they first arrived in Tokyo. There's something funny about an all powerful demon lord being super- happy about being promoted in a McDonalds
tongue.gif

I also like the dynamic he has with his underling Ashiya. How he's trying so hard to serve him the best way possible, but he's a little unsure of what Maou-kun is thinking
tongue.gif

I hope it doesn't turn into a harem either, and honestly I don't think it will. There might be a little love-hate theme going on with Maou and Emilia, but that's all I can see happening at this point.

QUOTE (julezia @ Apr 10 2013, 04:29 PM)This show pleasantly surprised me
smile.gif
I thought it was hilarious, especially when they first arrived in Tokyo. There's something funny about an all powerful demon lord being super- happy about being promoted in a McDonalds
tongue.gif

I hope it doesn't turn into a harem either, and honestly I don't think it will. There might be a little love-hate theme going on with Maou and Emilia, but that's all I can see happening at this point.
QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Apr 05 2013, 03:21 PM)The animation and fight scenes were the best that I've seen in a few season with the possible exception of Psycho-Pass, and only because Psycho-Pass didn't have magic. I'd love a series that followed that storyline more in-depth. A season could be each of the surrounding islands, and a 5th season or special to handle the fight on the central one. Yes, I'd be happy to see that happen if they could maintain the same level of quality!

I didn't expect much from the previews, but I am tentatively holding-out hope that this one will surprise us pleasantly this seasonlol i agree with you pals ^^ after watching ep.2 i guess they'll continue showing awesome Ente isla scenes in each episode (at least the beginning), as Knorris said the PVs weren't very appealing but I think JRPG epicness and modern world comedy are turning into a great mix for this series... also was hilarious to see Alsiel's reactions and Yusa (pun for 'Yuusha') yelling outside of his flat to face her then begging to let her in xD my favorite lines, Satan: "She's not heroic at all" and 100-yen hero: " I don't want to hear that from an Overlord that flips burgers for a living!"
laugh.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 11 2013, 06:17 PM)my favorite lines, Satan: "She's not heroic at all" and 100-yen hero: " I don't want to hear that from an Overlord that flips burgers for a living!"

I actually giggled when he labelled her the "100-yen hero."
laugh.gif

Yeah, I'm not getting the Harem-vibe from the setting, for which I am eternally grateful. (It's waaay over-done lately, for my tastes.) What I DO see happening is a kind of sad love triangle between Chi-Chan, The Overlord, and The Hero. I say sad, because I don't think that The Overlord will acknowledge Chi-Chan's feelings for a while, but The Hero is going to get extremely "bent" about Chi-Chan, and vice-versa with Chi-Chan when she sees the depth and strength of The Hero's obsession with him without knowing why. So the SAD part is that two totally hot girls (In VASTLY different ways!) might be going to "go to war" over a guy who couldn't possibly care less...

Oh, and GOOD LORD! What do Chi-Chan's parents feed that girl? Jail-bait should never already be built like that. It's just... WRONG! Even Inoue from Bleach isn't THAT top-heavy AND chibi to boot.
blink.gif
I almost feel guilty for just looking at her whenever she comes onscreen. That is as twisted as putting Matsumoto's cleavage on Yachiro's tiny little body. (Again, "Bleach" anime/manga references. And while Yachiro is technically even tinier, you see my meaning. Chi-Chan's proportions just SHOULD NEVER happen.)

Moral ambiguity aside, I am really thinking that this will be one of the better series of the season. And definitely one that will make me question, "Is it Thursday yet? Time to download this week's Maou-sama!"
biggrin.gif

Best part of the episode for me, which would NEVER happen in today's America:

Police Officer:  "So, why were you two fighting?"
The Hero:  "I must defeat him!"
Police Officer:  "Defeat?"
Police officer:  "I've got no idea what your boyfriend did, but pulling a knife on him is just going too far..."

AND THEY GET TO GO HOME!!!

I believe that this show is going to be just awesome....

This is such an awesome show, can't wait for the 3rd episode. It's the first anime of the Spring season I've watched and I'm quite optimistic of what the other series have to offer this season.

I really like the set-up of the story and I think that Emi's friends have probably betrayed her and taken over Enta Isla (or whatever it's called) and those friends have sent people to kill her, Maou and Ashiya, so that they can destroy any possible threats in the near future.

The above is pure speculation on my part but from what I have seen in the anime, I want to know more, so I might pick up the manga.

I liked the ED for episode 02, it was a nice song.

Okay the first episode left me kind of iffy about this series thinking that they were going to speak in a Russian + Germain type of language for most of the series with that episode. Although it changes when they start speaking normal Japanese though.

I have to say I kind of laughed a but when Maou-san found otu the hard way that you have to eat to survive.
laugh.gif

Still the second episode with the hero not only turning out to be a girl, but happens to be in the same boat as him and his assistant made things interesting. Not only that but I get this feeling she chased after him not only becuase she watned to finish the match with him, but now might have sort o a thing as well.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 17 2013, 05:50 PM)This is such an awesome show, can't wait for the 3rd episode. It's the first anime of the Spring season I've watched and I'm quite optimistic of what the other series have to offer this season.

I really like the set-up of the story and I think that Emi's friends have probably betrayed her and taken over Enta Isla (or whatever it's called) and those friends have sent people to kill her, Maou and Ashiya, so that they can destroy any possible threats in the near future.

The above is pure speculation on my part but from what I have seen in the anime, I want to know more, so I might pick up the manga.
QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Apr 11 2013, 09:40 PM)QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 11 2013, 07:17 PM)my favorite lines, Satan: "She's not heroic at all" and 100-yen hero: " I don't want to hear that from an Overlord that flips burgers for a living!"I actually giggled when he labelled her the "100-yen hero.":lol:

Oh, and GOOD LORD! What do Chi-Chan's parents feed that girl? Jail-bait should never already be built like that. It's just... WRONG! Even Inoue from Bleach isn't THAT top-heavy AND chibi to boot.
blink.gif
I almost feel guilty for just looking at her whenever she comes onscreen. That is as twisted as putting Matsumoto's cleavage on Yachiro's tiny little body. (Again, "Bleach" anime/manga references. And while Yachiro is technically even tinier, you see my meaning. Chi-Chan's proportions just SHOULD NEVER happen.) xD lol yes and in this ep.3 Chiho looks even more tempting o_O in my case she reminds me to Yumi (do you remember a busty & chibi jailbait from Chobits?), about Ranzer's speculation I think it'll be a great twist if the other "good guys" become villains as the power corrupts no matter if they're human or demons... I can tell by the new character profiles I updated in the first post (some really look like bad guys there) and from that mysterious call Emi got in case is true, I think both allies and foes betrayed her and Maō ¬¬ anyway my favorite part: when she and Alsiel are stalking Satan's date with Chi-chan ^^ nice OP/ED btw

Unless they goof up later on down the line, Episode 3 pretty much cemented this as my favorite show of the season.
laugh.gif
I didn't know anything about it prior, and picked it up just for how the Ente Isla side looks like an early Langrisser game, and episode 1 by itself had me looking forward to it over the ones I'd actually been anticipating. (OreImo2, Arata Kangatari, HenNeko)

The OP is beautiful. I love the way they play some of the extremes for juxtapositions. (The shot of Emilia in her glory flying into the portal and turning to smile to her allies, then her low moment sleeping over at Maou's flat afterwards and some the overall lyrics just make for an amazingly impactful combination.

I'm kind of curious to see what's going on with the Ente Isla situation. Maou's evaluation of the "Sonar" waves, the telepathic warning. and the warning are making it clear there's multiple factions going on. I wonder if the magical energy of that scan spell was meant for Emilia to be able to gain enough energy to return home?

I'm amused Maou doesn't understand why Emilia lied about her age.

Lastly... RIP Dullahan.
sad.gif

QUOTE (Norren @ Apr 19 2013, 03:40 AM)The OP is beautiful. I love the way they play some of the extremes for juxtapositions. (The shot of Emilia in her glory flying into the portal and turning to smile to her allies, then her low moment sleeping over at Maou's flat afterwards and some the overall lyrics just make for an amazingly impactful combination.

I feel the same way about the extremes that they show. Glad to see that someone else picked up on that too! It really adds impact in my view...

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 18 2013, 07:45 PM) xD lol yes and in this ep.3 Chiho looks even more tempting o_O in my case she reminds me to Yumi (do you remember a busty & chibi jailbait from Chobits?)

Oh HECK YEAH! I must be getting old because I forgot completely about Yumi from Chobits... I remember thinking, "Hideki, YOU IDIOT!!!!!" And I totally cracked-up when The Hero was sizing-up Chi-chan's outfit saying that she's obviously a girl in love, and then got COMPLETELY side-tracked when she looked at the size of Chi-chan's boobs and started making excuses for herself under her breath like, "It's cheaper to buy armor when your boobs are smaller.." ROTFLOL
laugh.gif

As for The Hero and Alsiel sneaking-around together, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they are perfect for each other! If Maou ends-up with Chi-chan or anyone else, they, (The Hero & Alsiel) still seem pretty evenly-matched in terms of devotion, honor, AND egos... A firery-mix to say the least, but a good one in my estimation none-the-less... But that is just my wishful thinking I guess!
tongue.gif

Is it wrong to want to see all of them happily-paired-off?
blink.gif

QUOTE (Norren @ Apr 19 2013, 04:40 AM)Unless they goof up later on down the line, Episode 3 pretty much cemented this as my favorite show of the season.
laugh.gif

I'm kind of curious to see what's going on with the Ente Isla situation.  Maou's evaluation of the "Sonar" waves, the telepathic warning. and the warning are making it clear there's multiple factions going on.  I wonder if the magical energy of that scan spell was meant for Emilia to be able to gain enough energy to return home?

Lastly... RIP Dullahan.
sad.gif
actually Dullahan is still alive xD I agree this series is rising to my top favorites after ep.4 and now makes sense why Chi-chan could heard sonar waves too, to think she's daughter of the first person Maoh and Alsiel met casting a spell on him when they just arrived to modern Earth (a small world isn't it? ¬¬)... anyway was interesting to watch Emilia's tragic childhood being chosen to become Hero for her archangel bloodline and determination to avenge her father, but she realizes that her foes have changed with their current way of life ^^ can't wait to see Lucifer and Emi's allies next (is the landlady from Ente Isla too?)

favorite Alsiel's overreactions from eps 1 to 4
laugh.gif

Ep 4 was great and some of our questions being answered, I kind of sense Lucifer as being more of a comic villain and not a real villain against Maou, he's just acting out because of his inferiority complex with Maou. I think the big villain of this series will be Emi's ally who didn't go through the gate when she did, he seemed like he was holding back a bit.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of Emi's old allies coming to Earth and I wonder how they will react to how Maou is living life now.

Ep 4 ended in a way that I was sort o cursing my screen because I wanted to know about what's going to happen next.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 26 2013, 07:00 PM) Ep 4 was great and some of our questions being answered, I kind of sense Lucifer as being more of a comic villain and not a real villain against Maou, he's just acting out because of his inferiority complex with Maou. I think the big villain of this series will be Emi's ally who didn't go through the gate when she did, he seemed like he was holding back a bit.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too... that the real enemies are probably from Emi's camp. I also think that Lucifer is just suffering from an inferiority complex, but we'll see!

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 25 2013, 08:38 PM)(is the landlady from Ente Isla too?)
I think so, she knew quite a bit. she reminds me a little of the witch from Howl's Moving Castle http://myanimelist.net/character/510/Witch_of_the_Waste

And Lol@those gifs, Alsiel is my fave character so far.

QUOTE (julezia @ Apr 26 2013, 08:56 PM) And Lol@those gifs, Alsiel is my fave character so far.
I've come to the realization that NecroRyu is an animated GIF-Genius.
laugh.gif

I too really like the direction that this has taken. I'm taking bets that Lucifer will become alot like the Lirin character from Saiyuki who shows up declaring that she's going to kick their collective butts to kingdom-come, but winds up helping them out, or asking what's wrong if one of the team is sad...
tongue.gif

Well if you think about it, this kind of explains things as to what happened to Lucifer when he went MIA in the beginning of the story here.

Also, it seems that Maou-san is kind of regretting his actions now that he is living along side the humans, and is trying to find a way to get by while being very poor it would seem.

Also, for some reason I want to say that there is more to that landlady as well since it seems like she knows what now only want Maou-san has to deal with but also Emil as well.
tongue.gif

Still to think that the intereactions between those two could be considered as a guy and his ex- that he couldn't get over.
laugh.gif

QUOTE (julezia @ Apr 26 2013, 09:56 PM)QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 26 2013, 07:00 PM)Ep 4 was great and some of our questions being answered, I kind of sense Lucifer as being more of a comic villain and not a real villain against Maou, he's just acting out because of his inferiority complex with Maou. I think the big villain of this series will be Emi's ally who didn't go through the gate when she did, he seemed like he was holding back a bit.Yeah thats what I was thinking too... that the real enemies are probably from Emi's camp. I also think that Lucifer is just suffering from an inferiority complex, but we'll see!
QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 25 2013, 08:38 PM)(is the landlady from Ente Isla too?)I think so, she knew quite a bit. she reminds me a little of the witch from Howl's Moving Castle http://myanimelist.net/character/510/Witch_of_the_Waste
QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Apr 27 2013, 05:51 PM)I too really like the direction that this has taken. I'm taking bets that Lucifer will become alot like the Lirin character from Saiyuki who shows up declaring that she's going to kick their collective butts to kingdom-come, but winds up helping them out, or asking what's wrong if one of the team is sad...
tongue.gif
you guys were right in most part o_O ep.5 was even better while Emilia joined forces with the "evil ones" unleashing their magic form to battle the respective traitors, not only Orba but the church betrayed her too (is the landlady behind it?) promising to return Lucifer to heaven -.- my favorite line Alsiel ´s 'dying' words: "My Lord... at least take advantage of the discounts they have on the first of every month" xD now that Emerada and Albert arrived the series surely will turn more lively ^^ also, I think this OP will replace the one that shown scenes of the first eps (i like both though) ¬¬ by the PV title i guess Maou will go to school and Emofer will stay as NEET

laugh.gif

Well from the looks of things I have to say that ended rather quickly there.
tongue.gif

To think that Maou-san would not only take it upon himself into punishing Lucifer-san like that, but for Emillia to join forces with him just to not only deal with him, but Obera as well. Although the best line here was when Obera mentioned how Emillia joined forces with Maou-san only to be show back with "You're one to talk" from the both of them.
tongue.gif

Well with the next episode they may end up taking bits from this serie's spin-off manga for a bit, since there is one version that just focuses on his high school life though.

geez I can't believe I forgot to comment on this one. It's quickly climbing up the ranks to being one of the best shows of the season, both comedy and action wise.

I liked that they explained how Maou mysteriously got his powers back in the last episode, as well as how the robberies were connected to Lucifer and Olba.
The mysterious earthquakes and how Chi was able to hear their voices was explained as well, so it was a great exposition ep overall.
But man, the action and comedy take the cake, because it was so well timed and executed.
Loved how the ever frugal Ashiya was so concerned over how Maou got the money for movies even as he was "dying"
tongue.gif
Ashiya is my favourite in this show, he's just too funny
laugh.gif

Episode 05 was so damn good, cracking me up constantly. Lol the faces everyone made when he called Orba a "Stupid Cueball" and how Lucifer's busted face looked like.

Truly a great series and I'm glad I picked it up, I went and read the manga too, only 8 chapters have been scanlated but the anime is already past that material.

Episode 06's preview didn't tell us much apart from Lucifer maybe staying in the human world with him get accustomed with the "internet" and all. I'm glad it's coming out on Thursday, so not very long to wait for.

QUOTE (julezia @ May 06 2013, 08:55 PM)geez I can't believe I forgot to comment on this one. It's quickly climbing up the ranks to being one of the best shows of the season, both comedy and action wise.

But man, the action and comedy take the cake, because it was so well timed and executed.
Loved how the ever frugal Ashiya was so concerned over how Maou got the money for movies even as he was "dying"
tongue.gif
Ashiya is my favourite in this show, he's just too funny
laugh.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ May 07 2013, 08:42 PM)Episode 05 was so damn good, cracking me up constantly.

Truly a great series and I'm glad I picked it up, I went and read the manga too, only 8 chapters have been scanlated but the anime is already past that material.

Episode 06's preview didn't tell us much apart from Lucifer maybe staying in the human world with him get accustomed with the "internet" and all. I'm glad it's coming out on Thursday, so not very long to wait for.I second you guys and just downloaded ep.6 o_O this is almost as awesome as Shingeki no Kyojin on top of my watchlist ^^ besides its ED a new girl is introduced, last of the main cast sent by the church to hunt down Emilia ¬¬ was hilarious how Urushihara shows his hacker skills prank-calling Docodemo to bother her again xD... also when he faints and Alsiel throws up after looking at the landlady's swimsuit photo -.- as well while Chiho warns them "When you find out about all seven of them, you get a call from Hell on your cellphone and have your soul taken away" about the 7th school mystery suddenly Lucifer calls Maou and freaks out
laugh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back