Has the site gotten a little laggy?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

InuyashaX

-Hokage
Kouhai
Well I've noticed this for a while but didnt think much of it, but I cant help but wonder why the sites slowed down. I remember back when after you made a topic or posted something, youd see your own post almost instantly in the header thingys (short cuts to recent posts in threads) on the right side of home page. Now it may take up to a min to view your name thus signifying you posted there.

Just curious if this is due to a surge in traffic? Also its taken slightly more and more time to load a page on FTV depending on certain threads. The homepage loads relativly fast, still not its prime though.

Yeah it seems that the site is having one of it's many flooded moments it seems. It takes a while though, but it either works or it says tat it caused a problem though. Also, sometimes pics, avatars, and even some of the signature pics tend to not show up properly it seems as well.

I could be due to other things as well I guess.

What could fix the problem? Bigger servers mabey?

Signatures and "other pictures" are not hosted by the FTV server. They are hosted by whatever host the person posting them decides to put them on. Avatars are usually hosted on the FTV server though but they are never very big (max 30kb I think).

The only reason that the front page is not updated as often would be that the servers are busy supplying people with anime and don't have time to update it. That is probably not the case though as the site may be on a different machine altogether. Most likely it has been changed to not update as much and thus cut down on how much work the server would have to do.

Actually it seems only those with TV Member status can update the front page though. Since I involuntarly found out about that first hand.

In any case it might be due to the servers working overtime or something like that. Besides it is an annoyance that tends to come and go depending on the hours you tend to come onto the site though.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Jan 28 2009, 09:19 PM) Signatures and "other pictures" are not hosted by the FTV server. They are hosted by whatever host the person posting them decides to put them on. Avatars are usually hosted on the FTV server though but they are never very big (max 30kb I think).

The only reason that the front page is not updated as often would be that the servers are busy supplying people with anime and don't have time to update it. That is probably not the case though as the site may be on a different machine altogether. Most likely it has been changed to not update as much and thus cut down on how much work the server would have to do.
although they're not hosted on FTV servers, they still are factored into the load time of each page.

Although each individual avatar/sig may not be very large, consider the number of members there are (even though a majority do not even have one or the other). In addition, for those who haven't noticed, some of us users have been using rotating sigs and avatars lately and that actually adds to the lag.

Nevertheless, I do agree that it's not the primary problem for lag.

As for InuyashaX's question, bigger/more servers = more money. Stuff ain't free unfortunately
tongue.gif
One possibility is the cache on the server not clearing/refreshing quick enough

The the only way to get more money is to check out the advertisments or daft will be a very sad panda in the end for buying bigger and/or better servers.

In any case the only idea that comes to mind would be to remove some of the licensed series that have at least most of it out on DVD. I mean some series here has a Complete Box set and it's still on th elicensed list and not taken off of the site.

It's an idea to free up some space though.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jan 29 2009, 12:31 AM) As for InuyashaX's question, bigger/more servers = more money. Stuff ain't free unfortunately
tongue.gif
One possibility is the cache on the server not clearing/refreshing quick enough
Yea indeed bigger servers do cost more money I just thought by now, daft should be a billionaire^^

Please be aware that the speed is also affected by your internet connection. A lot of pages I load in this forum load pretty quickly. The only page that takes some time are the ecchi threads but seeing as that is filled with pictures it is obvious to see why.

The speed of FansubTV is acceptable, at least in my opinion. I don't think the costs of extra servers would justify the speed increase. If people start having problems with very slow download speeds then it may become a issue, but we have not arrived at this juncture yet. If you find the pages are loading slowly I would advice removing the sigs/avatars from the posts. To do this go to your:
Viewing profile > Edit profile > Board settings.

In there you should say no to the following options:
Do you wish to view members signatures when reading topics?
Do you wish to view members avatars when reading topics?

This should increase the load up times for the forum pages.
wink.gif

The load times are bareable, its not so bad, most other forums I go to load a bit slower. Just wondering why the flux in slower speeds all of a sudden.

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Jan 29 2009, 04:01 PM) Please be aware that the speed is also affected by your internet connection. A lot of pages I load in this forum load pretty quickly. The only page that takes some time are the ecchi threads but seeing as that is filled with pictures it is obvious to see why
If I could load these pages with my practically dead XP comp (1 ghz cpu with 480 MB ram that's probably running on only half that ram since the other half may have burnt out for some reason) there's no reason that anyone else can't load these pages unless you have a Windows 98 or earlier with less than 256 MB ram and running at my home's lan connection speed, which is crap.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Jan 29 2009, 03:39 PM) Yea indeed bigger servers do cost more money I just thought by now, daft should be a billionaire^^

He doesn't make money off the site (or so I think). Ads generate the revenue to pay for the site's servers if I remember correctly.

This thread has no reason to be open, but only to complain about lag caused by internet connection.
InuyashaX please stop making useless threads.

Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back