GENERAL MUSIC

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
*laughs* I'm familiar with m-flo because they've worked a number of times with one of my favorite artists, Ryohei Yamamoto. They did "Miss You" with him & Melody, Verbal appears on his song "One Love," and they produced both Ryohei's solo albums. I know they've done tons of collaborations with other musicians too. I should probably give their other (non-Ryohei) stuff a listen, eh?

I think this topic needs more discussion than uploads.
Which concerts did you attend? what did you think of it? any japanese concerts?

We had a concert in Rosemont, Illinois, USA with the composer that did the Final Fantasy music. Our governor attended. Prior to attending, the governor had a very anti-video game stance as well as japanese cartoons. Afterwards, he lightened his stance on video games and actually complemented the positive influence that it had shown to all the well behaved kids in the audience. Also, he stopped referring to anime as cartoons.

Many of the musical events at the venue often had smaller audiences than desired. However, not only was the concert packed, it was mostly 16 to thirty year -olds. I stayed out in the parking lot and was suprised how the kids all seemed to be dressed up. My son told me that they were dressed like the characters in some of the shows that the composer did music for.

Ok, that's pretty cool.
Although I know a lot of ppl who get to know cosplaying for the first time, and think it's weird immediately.
blink.gif

How was the concert?

My son and his friend really enjoyed it. The tickets were expensive and parking was $20-$50. Since it was a 50 mile ride home, I stayed in the car and just waited down the road. Once the concert was half over, I snuck into the parking lot for free and got a spot in front where I could see the kids come out so my son would not get lost looking for me.

Back when they had Kotoko at Anime North I had no idea who she was and my friends and I were baffled by the long lineups to get into the concert! Guess she's kind of a big deal eh?
tongue.gif

Actually, here's a question. Does anyone know of companies like Tofu Records who bring Japanese bands to English fans with CDs and stuff? I heard Tofu kind of ... died. I have a couple of CDs from them and wouldn't have minded buying more if the CD thing had picked up. It was nice to be able to buy CDs that weren't anime soundtracks, and reasonably priced! (I got TMR, Nami Tamaki, and L'arc for $17CDN a piece, and that was quite a few years ago when most CDs seemed to be $25-$30)

I think Tofu records stopped their activities already. Their site is down, and wikipedia says the closed down in march 2007.
I don't like western releases though XD
In Europe we have Gan-Shin and CLJ records that brings bands and releases CDs, but I hate most of these releases because they romanize tracklistings etc XD

Lately I've been listening to "Ashes dIVIDE", which is Billy Howerdel's new project. For those of you not familiar, he was the guitarist for "A Perfect Circle". The sound is somewhat similar to APC, as Howerdel was the main songwriter for them, but he sings in this band instead of Maynard James Keenan (lead singer for Tool and APC). If you are a fan of either of those two bands, or just rock in general, give them a listen
biggrin.gif

A link to their myspace, which has two songs on it (though one is just a sample):
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=257837505

Their actual website...which only has one song:
http://www.ashesdivide.com

Forsaken by Dream Theatre MUSIC VIDEO

The LINK ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7oH6Ku27Us

The music video is the 2nd one done by GONZO Studio, the first being Breaking the Habit by Linkin Park, and this video was actually quite spectacular. The story was told and the song was sang with utter unison.
smile.gif
The story was quite sad and it reminded me of one of the endings from Tsukihime.........ahhhhhhh **CRYING**.
wacko.gif

So please watch and enjoy this video.
happy.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Mar 07 2008, 08:45 PM)Forsaken by Dream Theatre MUSIC VIDEO

The LINK ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7oH6Ku27Us

The music video is the 2nd one done by GONZO Studio, the first being Breaking the Habit by Linkin Park, and this video was actually quite spectacular. The story was told and the song was sang with utter unison. The story was quite sad and it reminded me of one of the endings from Tsukihime.........ahhhhhhh **CRYING**.

So please watch and enjoy this video.

I've been a DT fan since Images and Words, and I've never seen that video...great post! The animation was very cool and the story fit the lyrics perfectly. Everyone should watch it
biggrin.gif

I suppose I can't make a post without contributing to the thread in some way, so I'll recommend a band named Porcupine Tree...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=61819211

I would recommend the song "Trains", but you can't really go wrong with any of them.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Mar 07 2008, 02:06 PM)Actually, here's a question. Does anyone know of companies like Tofu Records who bring Japanese bands to English fans with CDs and stuff? I heard Tofu kind of ... died. I have a couple of CDs from them and wouldn't have minded buying more if the CD thing had picked up.Ah, Tofu died!? Well, obviously, since I had no clue, I was not keeping up with their artists. Once I got deeper and deeper into J-Rock I realized that many of the artists I like (ex: Bump of Chicken, 100s) were not the kind of super-popular stuff that Tofu was gonna pick up (not that they're not popular, but nothing like Laruku is, y'know?). Then I just bit the bullet and started importing from YesAsia or cdjapan (yes, $25-30 a CD is painful, so I have to be sure I really like an artist before I order; if I'm lucky, I can find the same CD released for the Hong Kong/Korean market, with prices more in line with the US, $16-17).

QUOTE (Noshi @ Mar 07 2008, 03:36 PM) but I hate most of these releases because they romanize tracklistings etc XD
But i think that probably just a sales approach though since it might appeal to the European public more if its in their languages, im not saying i agree with it, since id prefer it to be pure, but if you trying to sell to a European Market though, they would at least need to be able to understand the soing titles, since a vst number of people wil try new music if they thing the SOong title sounds good.......... So that probably the reason they Romanise it......

Meh i just stick with Amazon, suprisingly i can buy High and Mighty Color and UVERworld albums from their, cant buy them all though....... sadly they dont have any Maximum the Hormone which is a bummer since they are one of my fav bands......., but the only problem is it costs me upwards of £20 last time i checked just to buy the CDs though......... Ive already spent about £40 or so just on two ELLEGARDEN albums from their............

So i would like for there to be a way, to have Japanese Music more easily available to the European markets though..... and to think we are meant to live in a Multi-cultural society..... yeah right.......

I prefer the tracklistings to be romanized. It doesn't do me any good if it's in Kanji/hiragana since I can read maybe 4 kanji/hiragana total. Also winamp doesn't read them properly anyway and just puts in boxs and other random things and I have no urge to try and get it to display the japanese writing.

Yeah i admit that winamp is lame when it comes yo ZKanji/Hirangi since the boxes really do look lame, but im on about to put in a CD player so it wouldnt really matter to much.......

But i really would like to see Jap music more accessable though, torrenting is great, but id love to physically own the Album though which is something i cant have with torrents

QUOTE (Blowback @ Mar 14 2008, 10:48 PM) But i think that probably just a sales approach though since it might appeal to the European public more if its in their languages, im not saying i agree with it, since id prefer it to be pure, but if you trying to sell to a European Market though, they would at least need to be able to understand the soing titles, since a vst number of people wil try new music if they thing the SOong title sounds good.......... So that probably the reason they Romanise it......

Well, I blame lazy Germans. I mean, you're listening to JAPANESE music. You're not going to DUB the lyrics either to know what they are saying, right? XD Also, I think that most ppl already downloaded the albums, before they buy it, and usually know which tracks are on it, and it doesn't really need romanized track listing. Even people who would see the romanized tracks, can't identify what the songtitle is (as in, what song was that again? or: What does it mean?)
I had this one album, with a europese lyrics booklet in it. There were japanese lyrics, romanized, and translated in english, french and dutch. Excuse my hatred against germans and french who can't or won't learn english, and have to force such a thick booklet in it. I mean, I almost broke the case while trying to get that thing out to throw it away
dry.gif

So yeah, I still prefer the original tracks over the romanized tracks, because they also sometimes seem to mess up the romanji.
BTW, for the ones having problems with displaying kanji and stuff: try foobar2000 player. It looks butt-ugly, but it's a really handy player, and displays EVERY symbol/unicode/kanji in the world. XD

QUOTE (Kaizu @ Apr 03 2008, 06:40 PM) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVuAiICaLXw Hi may I ask what is the song use in the amv? I don't know if this is an anime song so I think it is much more suitable to post here for identification. Thanks if anyone can help.
biggrin.gif

The title of the song is Yakenogahara by Cocco. Nice song.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back