General Manga Discussion

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Hey if you can create your own manga story what will it be?

Wheareas with anime I prefer an episode a week to give time to discuss and think about it, with manga I find I prefer reading a volume at a time, a chapter tends to feel a bit short. The main trouble with sporadic releases is that it's a pain to keep checking fruitlessly for new chapters and after a while I tend to forget to check any more.

Anyone ever read Saint-Oniisan? The manga where Jesus and the Buddha are cohabitating in Japan. Sort of like a slice of life manga only with Jesus and the Buddha as main characters. Funny as hell.

Narrative:
I was laying down this morning; my feet up and a hot cup of green tea on the table next to me. My laptop sat upon my lap and I scrolled leisurely through page after page of "Scanlation" Manga. Suddenly I was disgusted.

Thought Bubble, Speech Bubble, TL Notes...The Grammar, or spelling, or both in some cases...Atrocious!

Okay you get the picture. Let me give you a few of my most lip curling Scanlation experiences:

"But that ain't meaning I do it just for fun."
"She breaked through...."
"I couldn't believed it!"
And many other incredibly minor, but glaring errors that make me think that the Manga was edited by a retard or translated by a "Stereotypical Southerner". (See the word "ain't" and "breaked").

If I could get the right people together I'd just do this scanlation business myself. I know I could edit better; I have both a firm grasp of the english language and pretty reasonable feel for Japanese (though I'm hardly fluent).

I'd love to see some scanlation manga that at least appears to have someone who knows how to use "Spellcheck" before delving into Photoshop/Gimp/Whatever.

End Rant.

QUOTE (iamdeath @ Apr 05 2009, 07:04 PM) Hey if you can create your own manga story what will it be?
well, i guess u gonna write something that tells about a story of a two best friends and ended up to be a enemies in the end.
wink.gif
it's interesting. i guess.
smile.gif

Does someone have a really good info site for mangas? You know something like anidb is for anime. There dont have to be download links, info is enough.
Because I cant find a really good one.

Or at least a site where you can list the mangas from the date they came out in japan because I wanna see whats new in japan right now.

Thanks for help and any link.

Oh yeah havent thought of that page ^^ But unfortunately the dates are only named by the year and searching whole 2009 is a bit much ^^
Thanks for reminding me anyways

I want to know what chapter does jin ho kisses the teacher for first time at night time I think can u help which chapter it is in manga unbalance x unbalance

Hey guys, in 20th Century boys, was the child Nakatsuka[3rd friend] ever shown without the mask?

I don't want to go over everything over again. I just realized that I couldn't remember how he looked like.

Dam, this manga is good. Untill Death Do Us Part. Who's been following this manga?

The actions are so good reminds me of Black Lagoon. This would make a good anime imo. I was able to catch up the other day.

Another badass character added to my fav list. I love how this manga has almost non-stop action. At first I saw a shoujo label to it along time ago. Looks like they remove it. The last chapter left me hanging. Looking forward to his past. How he lost his eye sight.

I got problem to translate some manga for example perman, I dont why I crazy about this manga but I try OCR and its damn suck result for translate hu..hu..hu

what is that make certian mangas good and others bad? Psyren and Swot both been cancelled, but Medaka Box lives on. when you look back and think about how many good mangas got axes and how many bad ones stick a round, its really sad.

QUOTE (masterkai @ Nov 24 2010, 07:23 PM) what is that make certian mangas good and others bad? Psyren and Swot both been cancelled, but Medaka Box lives on. when you look back and think about how many good mangas got axes and how many bad ones stick a round, its really sad.
Since that question is refering to WSJ ill say Genre, bear in mind in the action shounen genre there is: OP, Reborn, Naruto, Bleach, Beelzebub and a few others. So any manga of that genre will struggle to do well. Which is a shame, take Metalica Metallulca for example that was a new series, with a rather intresting world, (although because of this the hero was boarderline over powered) but was a action/adeventure type manga, it got canceled. I think a big factor is exsisting series' already, since they are already established and 'solid', so its harder for newer series to do well.

Where as Medeka Box is of the genre that WSJ doesnt have much of right now, although i do want it to die, i mean the One Shot wasnt even that great never mind the series itself.

Another example is the series Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! which im reading and another called Oniichan Control. Zenzen Suki is eastablished with 28ish chapters, yet Oniichan is new and only has 8 chapters. Imo Oniichan is the superior manga since it lacks needless ecchi and pantyshots, better characthers etc, but because the premise of the story is roughly the same as Zenzen Suki there is every chance it will get canceled because it could be seen to be the same.

There are just numerous factors regarding if a series does well or not. Japanese public being a big one, since aload of people i caht to in RL and online all say Naruto is absolute crap and has been for along while, yet if you go off how each issue is ranked in WSJ it is still often in the top 5, so clearly the Japanese still love it.

Just so many factors.

Does anyone know what the TokyoPop news means for the BLU label? Are they directly related, or will BLU continue publishing?

It's a shame about TokyoPop, just because so many series are halfway through. I recently picked up the first volume of Hetalia, never thinking the company would fold before the third volume hit shelves.

So in other words he's cutting out before a lot of series are done here? Heck I'm in the middle of the Fate/stay night manga and things are heating up. So what does that mean for me if they suddenly call it quits? To me I think he's just cutting off now because the industry has been taking a nosedive due to the world economy and whatnot.
dry.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Apr 15 2011, 11:49 PM) To me I think he's just cutting off now because the industry has been taking a nosedive due to the world economy and whatnot.
dry.gif

TokyoPop has been in trouble for a while, iirc. A lot of people are saying the company might have fared better under a different head; I've heard a lot about how money was wasted on things like 'America's Greatest Otaku', too many series picked up, etc. And not too long ago, there was an article about how most of the core staff had been let go (and moved to other companies). It leaves me with the impression that he's just not into the manga business anymore, more than anything. Especially with the anime industry suffering.

As for unfinished series, it will probably be like when any other company stopped publishing. I had the first two volumes of Tactics from AVG Manga before they went under, and the license was later picked up by TokyoPop (who reprinted volumes 1&2 before carrying on). The question is, what series will get re-licensed?

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back