General Drama Discussion

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
I started watching Attention Please and I've got up to episode 05 (just finished watching it) but this series just puts me off.........its incredibly boring and annoying, however, its in the Top 50 J-dorama at JDorama.com -----> http://www.jdorama.com/topdramas.htm

How many of you guys have seen this and what do you think ??
rolleyes.gif
dry.gif
wink.gif

JCD, you're a lifesaver! Case in point: Friday night I had just finished Over Time (J-drama) and was frankly ticked off (I won't go into specifics, but I had been really digging this drama when the ending completely threw me and put me in a super-bad mood *fumes*), so I unapologetically binged on Long Vacation (your recommendation), watching it over the course of only 2 nights. Needless to say, it really hit the spot (in fact, I plan to rewatch it with a friend) and it saved my mood for the following couple of days (yeah, a bad ending can bum me out like that). Admittedly, being a 1996 drama, it looks a bit dated now, fashion-wise, but that didn't really bother me at all because I was so into it (plus some familiar faces from Beach Boys helped). Now I'm downloading Pride & Engine (two other KimuTaku dramas) and plan to start those (and, having watched ep01 of both series, I have to admit that Engine looks more appealing-- and I prefer that lead actress-- so that's first on my list and I'm rather looking forward to it now). Other than that, I've just finished Stand Up!! (again, I'm so glad I gave this a second look upon your mention of it) and Bambino! (okay, not the greatest, but sufficient for a lunch-break diversion).

I'm also halfway through Virgin Road and I have to say, the opening sequence of the show is one of the most off-putting OPs I've ever seen: Namie Amuro (sp?) apparently trying to disrupt a wedding with her glowing, quasi-ghost-nun (?) presence (at least that's what it looks like to me). Why in the world is the OP sequence basically a Namie Amuro PV? I think it's really weird. Anyway, if Sorimachi Takashi *wub* wasn't in this, that probably would've made me drop it right there; having talked trash about it now, though, I have to admit the song has grown on me and, through sheer repetition, is stuck in my head after ep05; how the hell did that happen!? At least the drama itself is growing on me too.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jul 04 2008, 06:41 PM)I started watching Attention Please and I've got up to episode 05 (just finished watching it) but this series just puts me off.........its incredibly boring and annoying, however, its in the Top 50 J-dorama at JDorama.com.Oooh, I was thinking about watching this one, but maybe I'll hold off now...

I finished off watching The Devil (Mawang) (K-Drama) yesterday night and just now finished watching the first episode of Maou, the J-version remake of the K-drama, The Devil.

So let me talk about the first episode of Maou, it was done decently. The OP, Truth by Arashi suits the series very well, the music is really good but not as good as the music used in the original (The Devil). In my opinion, I believe that Ikuta Toma is actually a bad choice for the main lead detective in this story because I kinda always picture the guy as a comical character.....I don't sense the "seriousness" from him compared to The Devil's Uhm Tae Woong. Overall, the impression I get is that in many of the areas the production team have overdone it compared to The Devil. The thing with the original, was that it was balanced well enough to be applauded despite there being times where I thought, "Are we still there ?" but that was only the pace, the rest of it was fine. However, with Maou, I get a picture of this series seeming to be too "animated", it seems too unrealistic compared to the original. Maou can be seen as too comical or too serious at times. Maou's Naruse Ryo played by Ohno Satoshi, seems too sinister and just seems to me that he is giving the impression of being an "all-out-villain", whereas, there was a balance in original with Joo Ji Hoon. Also the main lead actress in the original is much more "HAWT" and beautiful compared to the "young girl" in Maou, ahhhh, thats another point I want to "b*tch" about, most of the cast for Maou are all too freaking young.
wink.gif
WoW....what a rant!?
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

I've finished Virgin Road now, and aside from the last episode almost throwing me into a fit (if Kaoru had actually died in the last episode, I would've gone ballistic-- and I have to admit, when he first reappeared in the church, I wasn't sure if he was supposed to be a ghost or what, because he didn't speak at first.  Rather unrealistic, because in real life, if the love of your life WHO YOU THOUGHT WAS DEAD suddenly reappeared before you, you would not be so calm & composed) , I ended up liking it pretty well (full disclosure: Sorimachi Takashi could probably just smile at the camera for 10 hours and I would say it was an "okay" drama
tongue.gif
). I think I even like that Namie Amuro song now too (through sheer repetition), although, during some poignant moments in the drama, that song would pop up and the flatness of her singing made me cringe a bit. But it's almost "so bad that it's good again" (to paraphrase Ghost World).

I also watched all of With Love, which was in the vein of The Shop Around the Corner-- 2 people know each other in real life, but start a romance via email with their online personas. It was... fair. The video quality was poor (hey, it was a '98 drama taken from a VHS tape) which I can usually overlook, but I didn't really sense much chemistry between the leads (although Takenouchi Yutaka does look pretty good with long-ish hair). I can only recommend this one to fans of Takenouchi, or people with 12 hours to fill.

Anyway, I'm currently in the midst of those 2 KimuTaku dramas I mentioned before-- Engine and Pride-- and I have to say, I like Engine a lot better. Besides Engine being funnier (esp. Jiro interacting with the kids), frankly the actress in Pride (Takeuchi Yuko) bugs the heck out of me. I don't know why, but I've never particularly liked her in any of the series I've seen her in (Lunch Queen, Egao no Hosoku). It's like her acting is "flat" or something-- I can't quite explain it-- but I just don't like her for some reason.

I finished off Engine and Puzzle(2007), they were both good....not great though.
wink.gif

I'm up to episode 12 of the K-drama, Goong, and I must say this drama is fantastic and extremely funny.

I've gone up to episode 2 of Maou, remake to one of my favourite Korean doramas, The Devil (Mawang).

BTW, all dorama fans should watch Yasuko to Kenji.....this is a crazy-ass comedy!! XD
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, I've finally finished my 3 KimuTaku dramas: Engine, Pride & Good Luck! I thought Engine, the best of those 3, was overall fairly good (although maybe that's the budding KimuTaku fangirl in me talking). MUCH better than Pride at least, in my opinion (I won't get into it, but dang I hated the spineless, lame-o heroine in that series). And Good Luck! was... okay (just sorta... there, y'know?). But I'm starting to fear that Long Vacation (which I watched about a month ago) has really spoiled me for J-dramas now. I thought it was that good. In fact, I'm watching it again with a friend right now and loving it just as much the second-time around (and yeah, she's digging it too). Nothing I've watched since then (Virgin Road, With Love, Engine, Pride, Good Luck, Osen, Double Score, Hotaru no Hikari) has really compared. *sighs*

Anyway, speaking of Hotaru no Hikari (Glow of Fireflies), it's pretty fun. A little bit funny, a little bit romantic-- although honestly I don't think it excels in either-- it's still an agreeable way to pass the time. Let's just say I like it enough to want to watch each successive episode at least (which was more than I could say for Pride & Good Luck!). As for the heroine, Amemiya-- she's a little bit on the, eh, eccentric side, but I don't dislike her (if I thought she was dumb I'd call her "ditzy" and not "eccentric"). I find her "running-home-to-drink-BIRU!-and-laze-around-the-house" rather endearing in a drama heroine-- I can, and will, drink to that! I just wish she didn't freak out so much about little things. I do, however, enjoy watching Naohito Fujiki as Takano, her manager/housemate/eventual-love-interest, wondering in amazement at her at-home slobitude (in contrast to her relatively-polished office persona) throughout the series. My only other concern (if you can call it that) is that only now, in ep07, does Takano seem to be realizing he may have romantic feelings towards her.  Episode 07 (out of 10) seems a little late to finally start the romance that the viewers have been expecting . I'll have to see what these last 3 eps hold.

I tried, I really did try, to watch Ushi ni Negai wo: Love & Farm. But I had to drop it at ep03 after the characters got all weepy/melodramatic over the potential euthanasia of an injured cow. Surely agriculture majors are aware that injured/underproductive livestock is not kept around? Even Takashi, who grew up on the farm, seems grimly determined to (paraphrase) "not lose another one."
rolleyes.gif
* I can just imagine them moving on to feature the sheep farm next door and realizing in horror that the mutton the neighbor brought over doesn't grow on trees. Not even Tamaya Tetsuji can compel me to finish this one (besides, he was way better as the uptight oldest brother in Brother Beat). If someone's seen this and it gets radically better after ep03, please do tip me off. Until then, UnNw:L&F can wait indefinitely (guess I'll never know the ultimate fate of that cow).

*Don't get me wrong-- I'm not rolling my eyes at their compassion, but rather at their apparent naivety, as ag students, in regards to the grim realities of farming with livestock.

I've had a heck of a time finding a new title I can really dig lately, so I'm gonna go a-samplin' and try to watch the first episodes of Gift, Hero, Dream Again, Love & Eros, and... Nodame Cantabile (yes, I'll probably be the last person to see it). I figure if I try enough different series, something's gotta stick, right?

Oh, and on the really off-chance that anyone else in here cares, someone has finally fansubbed the last 2 eps (09 & 10) of Princess Princess D (yep, the one with all the gothic-lolita crossdressing highschool boys
laugh.gif
). I know it's available in the aarin forum (under live action), but I don't know where else (not familiar with the group-- it just says "C.H.L.O.E. Project" in the upper-left corner). Hope to see Saito Takumi pop up again in these last few eps (just saw him in the rather sweet movie Sukitomo).

I'm pretty sure this is either illegal or something that really shouldn't be created into a live-action film....let along anime.:

CODE http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-08-28/kodomo-no-kodomo-live-action-film-trailer-streamed

I'm currently mainly involved in 2 dramas: Yasha and Yaoh. I'd been sort of dancing around Yasha for years now, ever since I started watching dramas. It's a favorite amongst the aarinfantasy crowd because of the extremely close (hint-hint, nudge-nudge) relationship between the main character Sei and his friend Moichi (who are the most obviously BL-oriented main couple I've ever seen in a drama) but it always somewhat turned me off because it seemed so dark (really, sci-fi + bio-terrorism + BL-undertones?). And... it really is pretty, well, serious in nature. There's no comedic moments to be had at all. But once I watched the first few episodes I found I was really enjoying it... that is, at least up until what transpired in episode 8. Although honestly I was somewhat expecting it because it didn't seem like the type of series that would let the boys live happily-ever-after but damn, I was still quite upset when Moichi died in Sei's arms *weep*-- no joke, I really did start crying at that point. . As a result, I've been sorta dragging my feet after this... but, I do really want to see Sei have his (hopefully bloody-and-prolonged) revenge on Rin for that , so I'll probably finish it this next week).

As for Yaoh, about newbie-host Ryosuke's attempt to climb to the #1 spot at his club while dispensing "lessons-of-the-week" to clients & fellow-hosts alike in each episode-- at first, I'll be honest, I did not think TOKIO's Matsuoka Masahiro, as Ryosuke, was attractive, so initially he was a hard sell for me as a host. Mainly what bothered me was his hair. I know it's stupid & shallow, but I really disliked his hairstyle in the first few episodes. But I've watched 4 episodes now and I don't know if his hairstyle is evolving or if I just have grown to like the character enough that I don't notice the hair as much (or likely a combination of the two) but now I can see him as a host (though he's definitely not a classic bishonen-type, he's still handsome). The big surprise of this series though, for me, was how rather creepily-attractive* Kazuki Kitamura is as Seiya, current Romeo Host #1. Having only seen him in Akihabara @Deep, Galileo, and Bambino!, I've never seen him in such a role before.

*in an eerily reptilian sort -of-way; I think it's the bleached hair and light-brown contacts that make him seem so other-worldly in this series.

Re: The winter 2008 dramas-- so far I've watched episodes 1 of both Ryuusei no Kizuna and Oh! My Girl!! I think I will continue watching RnK-- honestly, I have a bit of a crush on the now-all-grown-up Kazunari Ninomiya (Stand Up!!) at this point. Though I must admit I was not expecting a series that revolves around a trio of siblings avenging their parents' violent murder to have such offbeat comedic moments, I'd like to see where this goes so I plan to catch up on it once I finish both Yasha and Yaoh).

I wish I could say the same about Oh! My Girl!! but I should have known better when I first read the plot synopsis. I hate precocious child-characters so I'm not really sure what I was expecting (maybe something better for poor Hayami Mokomichi, after being so dumped-upon as Night in Zettai Kareshi?). But this is definitely not the series for me and I will not be watching the rest unless I hear rave reviews about it as it further develops.

Wow-- it looks like Yasha and Yaoh will be my 70th and 71st dramas (59th and 60th if you don't count the Korean and Taiwanese series). I've actually watched far more live-action drama than I have anime at this point-- they won't make me rescind my Fansub TV membership, will they?

WoW...70 is a big number, Poonk...I'll be aiming for that, I've completed 39 series of J/K/TW-Doramas and I've got about 6 uncompleted doramas, Last Christmas....I only have about 2 more episodes to complete but I haven't watched it in like months now but I'm thinking of getting back into the dorama groove with Bloody Monday being a dorama (its manga counterpart is truly amazing......absolutely love it!! XD), it started on 11th October but the main antagoinst of this series is an incredibly beautiful woman in the manga but they choosen the slut in Maou, Kichise Michiko, to play the dorama role and she doesn't even compare to *My* Maya-chan!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
ohmy.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

While I watched the last few episodes of Yasha this last weekend, I did 2 things: I drank a lot of wine and I cried, even though I knew it couldn't be a traditionally happy ending (see my previous post) . I guess this one sort of affected me. I don't really have anything else to say about it (besides what would be totally spoiler-ific) except that I'm really glad I watched it (and it reaffirmed my thing for boys in glasses
laugh.gif
).

In the following 2 days I finished up Yaoh and I almost fell off my seat when, at the end of ep05, the fabsubbers noted, "Is it me or did Ryosuke's hair become better this epi?", which I found extremely amusing after the comments I made last week. Anyway, overall I did enjoy this show, although admittedly part of the appeal was the parade of well-dressed, handsome men strutting through each episode-- so I'm not sure if this one has broad appeal.

I've also started Busu no Hitomi ni Koishiteru (Love in the Eyes of an Ugly Girl) and it's pretty fun so far. It's in the running for Japanese Drama of the Week on Drama-Wiki right now, so I figured I couldn't pass up the fast torrent downloads. At first I was thinking, oh, they'll just have the titular "ugly girl" be a regular (traditionally pretty) actress with, say, glasses & goofy hair and at some point she'll either: A.) Take off her glasses; B.) Let down her hair; or C.) Both, and the hero will suddenly realize she's actually gorgeous. But no! They actually cast a non-traditional actress for the role. I wouldn't call her "ugly" (I would never call anyone that), but she's definitely average-looking. Sometimes watching dramas & movies it's easy to forget that not everyone in the world (female or male) looks like a model, so this is sort of refreshing.

I also watched the first episodes of both Bloody Monday and Room of King. Bloody Monday has failed to catch me so far, but part of that might be because I just finished a drama about a viral outbreak-type situation (Yasha) and I kinda wanna see something fluffy right now. However, it doesn't look like Room of King will be that fluff because watching the first episode I couldn't quite figure out what was going on-- apparently God-like (or not?) figures arranging for people somehow "destined for greatness" to share a house.... uh, what? I think it's supposed to be a comedy, but I haven't really seen anything funny so far. Not even Mizushima Hiro could compel me to watch much more of this unless ep02 is a vast improvement. *sigh* Busu 04 can't DL fast enough...

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Nov 19 2008, 06:29 AM)Last Christmas....I only have about 2 more episodes to complete but I haven't watched it in like months nowP.S. Did you like Last Christmas (or at least, what you've seen so far)? My torrents for this have been sitting at 98.4% for over a month now and it's driving me crazy.

Poonk, Last Christmas is okay but not exactly great, then again its mainly because I haven't finished them. BTW, forget torrents and use the DDLs at livejournal's J-Drama Club, the page has almost every single J-dorama thats been subbed, unsubbed ones too with Korean and Taiwanese doramas being present there, as well as many asian movies.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I like torrents when a series is new/popular because it's usually pretty fast and I can start it & not think about it until it's magically completed and ready to watch in its entirety. But yeah, for older titles it can be hit & miss (guess Last Christmas is a "miss"). Unfortunately, a lot of drama links I find are MegaUpload which has been rather, uh, "tempermental" for me the last few weeks (sometimes the DL window will pop up, but 80% of the time it won't-- very frustrating, since it never used to do this). Where is this J-Drama Club page? I tried a search on LJ and found tons of drama pages but I couldn't find anything with that specific name.

anybody looking forward to the movie blood the last vampire live action???

i heard the movie along time ago but what surprise me is that this movie is coming to the US. i saw the trailer and it was in english. it kinda gave me a goose bump. lol. it looks promising and the actress there kinda looks like saya in the anime movie.

i saw a glimpse of the trailer in a korean movie talk show program, and when i check it on imdb i was surprise...

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2558264089/http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2558264089/

Has anyone watched Dream? While I'm not entirely against sport themes, I'm not sure how interested I'd be in wrestling. I am, however, interested in Son Dam Bi - but I get the impression the drama isn't doing well? Anyone think it's worth finding the time to watch?

QUOTE (anbu-black-ops @ Sep 24 2009, 01:09 PM)absolute boyfriend is being adopted into a korean drama.Interesting... not sure I need to watch the same story twice (which is why I don't plan to watch the Korean remake of Boys Over Flowers, or the Japanese The Man Who Can't Get Married-- though I heard the latter is better than its remake) but since I ended up not liking Zettai Kareshi/Absolute Boyfriend nearly as much as I thought I would, maybe I actually could get into a remake if they made Riko (the heroine) less grating. Now I think I'll go see if there's any word on who's playing Night & Soshi...

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back