Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Juhachi

-Key Master にははっ~
Sempai
Manabi Straight! follows the lives of a group of young girls living in 2035. Due to the fact that birth rate has dropped dramatically, many schools are being closed down due to the sheer lack of students available to teach. One day, a young, active girl named Manami Amamiya transfers to one such school called Seiō Private High School and begins to heat things up.

TV Tokyo's site of Manabi Straight!

So, who's watching this one this season? Let me just say now that I was amazed by the animation; looks like KyoAni finally has some good competition in that area.
laugh.gif
Other than that, the characters look like a fun bunch though I have to constantly keep reminding myself that they are in high school despite looking so damn young.
tongue.gif

And also if you didn't know Manami Amamiya is voiced by Yui Horie and Mei Etoh is voiced by Aya Hirano, what more could you ask for?
biggrin.gif

omg this show is hilarious, there is every type of person you could imagine... mikan & manabi are regular airheads which makesit so much better
laugh.gif
the drawings are nice altho theylooklike 5th graders, defin a show to keep an eye on
blink.gif

I am actually pretty busy downloading other anime right now,so haven't watch this yet.But Juhachi-sempai sounds like he(she?) highly recommended this,is that true Juhachi-sempai?
biggrin.gif
(KyoAni's work!
ohmy.gif
)
This is pretty off topic but i'd like to ask,isn't Seio was the same school Mizuho in Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru(OBK) attendins to?And Yui Horie-san lend(more like being paid to
tongue.gif
) her voice in OBK too...
tongue.gif

Aya Hirano and Yui Horie in one series!Mmm,mmm,goood!
biggrin.gif
(I sound like a perverted there...
cool.gif
)

QUOTE (d'observer @ Jan 19 2007, 03:26 PM) This is pretty off topic but i'd like to ask,isn't Seio was the same school Mizuho in Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru(OBK) attendins to?And Yui Horie-san lend(more like being paid to
tongue.gif
) her voice in OBK too...
tongue.gif

I actually saw that as well, and both school are all-girl as well with the main character being voiced by Yui Horie. Oh the irony!
laugh.gif
Btw, I'm a guy.
tongue.gif

I'm somewhat of a casual fan. Not casual to the point where I would fall in love with Naruto (or watch it for that matter) or keep up with anime news, I wouldn't go to conventions and usually its hard for a show to keep my attention span. Rarely do I fall in love with an anime/manga from the first episode (or volume for the manga) however those I do fall in love with are treasures to the anime world (that sadly enough go unnoticed in favor of Naruto or other shows like it) This series has made me fall in love with it from the beginning. The art direction is really the thing that made me stick with it from the beginning (I try to avoid shows staring elementary school girls so this is new to me) The comedy was good and the team behind it seems to take their job very seriously. The only part I didn't like about it was the Ending Credits video with that lame claymation thing... God, even the previews look nice. Can't wait for the 2nd episode...

QUOTE (ddhboy @ Jan 19 2007, 08:15 PM) (I try to avoid shows staring elementary school girls so this is new to me)
Yeah, something about that was discussed in a 4chan thread yesterday. The theory went that because of the low birth rate, they started putting the kids through accelerated schooling, so while they say they're in high school, it seems that they're all about the age of, as you said yourself, elementary school girls. The way this was explained is that since there are less kids around, they have more time to focus on small groups and teach them faster and more effectively than is possible now what with how packed schools are now. Either way it was only a theory. It could have just been that ufotable wanted to make a series with high school girls that look like they're in elementary school. It wouldn't be the first time that anime/manga creators have done something like this since a lot of the time younger girls are more developed and vice versa for older girls being underdeveloped, as may be the case with this series.

QUOTE (ddhboy)The only part I didn't like about it was the Ending Credits video with that lame claymation thing...
That too was criticized in the same thread at 4chan. Most people don't like it, but hell, I give them points for some originality.
wink.gif

QUOTE (ddhboy @ Jan 19 2007, 09:15 PM) The only part I didn't like about it was the Ending Credits video with that lame claymation thing... God, even the previews look nice. Can't wait for the 2nd episode...
I liked the ending clay animation. Was a refreshing change of scenery from looking at animation for 20 minutes straight. Only part I hated for the ending was that the Japanese Kanji were a part of the broadcast. And because of that, the karaoke font had to match the Kanji that the broadcasters chose and the English part had to fade with it while the Romaji delayed to stay in sync with the song.... but that's another thing all together.

Episode 2 will be out once we're done which can be whenever. We'll hopefully move rather quickly on it.

Also episode 1's H264 version (Azai's release in case you guys are watching raws) will likely be re-released tonight. There was artifacting that occurred thanks to a bad filter combo it seems.

/me removed the problem and will re-release it as soon as it's ready.

QUOTE (Juhachi @ Jan 19 2007, 09:41 PM)
That too was criticized in the same thread at 4chan. Most people don't like it, but hell, I give them points for some originality.
wink.gif

It isn't entirely original. Ninja Nonsense or also known as 2x2=Shinobuden had a clay animation ending song as well.

QUOTE (Harukalover @ Jan 19 2007, 09:18 PM) It isn't entirely original. Ninja Nonsense or also known as 2x2=Shinobuden had a clay animation ending song as well.
Ah well, near originality then.
tongue.gif

Something else I noticed: During the two scenes with Manami on her scooter, you can hear the Back to the Future theme music playing. Not exact, but it's close enough to see the similarity. I wonder how they got permission to use it.
laugh.gif

QUOTE (Juhachi @ Jan 19 2007, 10:31 PM) Ah well, near originality then.
tongue.gif

Something else I noticed: During the two scenes with Manami on her scooter, you can hear the Back to the Future theme music playing. Not exact, but it's close enough to see the similarity. I wonder how they got permission to use it.
laugh.gif

i cant find the episode of youtube
it looks like some yuri is in it cause the gurl has some romantic attachments to the other gurl

QUOTE (tryipo34 @ Jan 19 2007, 09:42 PM) it looks like some yuri is in it cause the gurl has some romantic attachments to the other gurl
Yes, there's supposed to be some one-sided affection from Mika to Manami, though it's probably not much. Think Tomoyo/Sakura from CCS.
wink.gif

On another note, I want them to release that song Yui Horie sung near the end of the episode.
biggrin.gif
Also, the Back to the Future theme plays at the very end of the episode.

And also, why do people call her an alien? Not only that, but the usually used word for alien, uchuujin (literally space-person), is not used; instead, seijin, literally meaning star-person, is used.

yeah the claymation thing was kinda cool but not really. props for something different though. I'll definately keep watching though. I'm a sucker for Yui Horie... Love hina was the first anime I watched... DBZ on cartoon network doesn't really count as anime...

You guys sure make it sound like this shows was quite a deal.*Off to download it right-away!*
ph34r.gif
And,one more thing worth being pointed out,when Yui Horie(-sama!
biggrin.gif
) did lend her voice for a show,look forward for it!
laugh.gif
Since only those who're(the animation studio!) confident that their show is at least on good level would dare inviting her for being the seiyuu....
biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Juhachi @ Jan 19 2007, 10:45 PM)QUOTE (tryipo34 @ Jan 19 2007 @ 09:42 PM) it looks like some yuri is in it cause the gurl has some romantic attachments to the other gurl
Yes, there's supposed to be some one-sided affection from Mika to Manami, though it's probably not much. Think Tomoyo/Sakura from CCS. Then I guess this show will have lots of Yuri doujinshis as Tomoyo/Sakura did...
tongue.gif

Off-topic:So,Harukalover-sempai is actually one of the fansubbers!
laugh.gif
Only now I know that...what an honour to have you here and thanks for all of your hardworks!
laugh.gif
Really appreciate it!
laugh.gif
(that's why you are CCCP taika!
ohmy.gif
)

QUOTE (d'observer @ Jan 20 2007, 07:34 AM) Off-topic:So,Harukalover-sempai is actually one of the fansubbers!
laugh.gif
Only now I know that...what an honour to have you here and thanks for all of your hardworks!
laugh.gif
Really appreciate it!
laugh.gif
(that's why you are CCCP taika!
ohmy.gif
)
Yeah, I noticed that first off when I watched the episode. He did the encoding, type setting and provided the RAW. Oh and something with the karaoke too.

Harukalover you are awesome, the serie is so good. The first episode really leave a strong impression that it's comedy yet very warm-hearted. The VA's are awesome with Hirano Aya and etcs. I'm going to love this serie for this season. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, FIGHTO!

p.s. wow that School song is awesome too, I wish my school song was that good...

Heh... you guys make me blush... ;P

On another note. Episode 2 doesn't have the clay animation ending. It now has regular animation in it and also the song changed. A classical like ending song is in place of the one in episode 1. Also the opening song finally comes into play in episode 2.

QUOTE (Harukalover @ Jan 20 2007, 02:50 PM) On another note. Episode 2 doesn't have the clay animation ending. It now has regular animation in it and also the song changed. A classical like ending song is in place of the one in episode 1. Also the opening song finally comes into play in episode 2.
Oh wow, that's awesome. Now people have even less reason to bash this series.
biggrin.gif
I think the Aya/Yui combo is one of the best ever. ^^

QUOTE (Juhachi @ Jan 20 2007, 03:24 PM) Yeah, I noticed that first off when I watched the episode. He did the encoding, type setting and provided the RAW. Oh and something with the karaoke too.
Yeah,his name did appear first thing in the series
tongue.gif
Almost as soon as the show started...
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (MKK2004 @ Jan 20 2007, 03:38 PM)Harukalover you are awesome, the serie is so good. The first episode really leave a strong impression that it's comedy yet very warm-hearted.  The VA's are awesome with Hirano Aya and etcs.  I'm going to love this serie for this season.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, FIGHTO!

p.s. wow that School song is awesome too, I wish my school song was that good...Now MKK-sama has shown his liking to the series and give kudos point to it.
laugh.gif
'FTV's biggest anime otaku' has said so,SO,you guys out there,what are you waiting for..?Go get grab this right away!
cool.gif

QUOTE (Harukalover @ Jan 20 2007, 03:50 PM)Heh... you guys make me blush... ;P

On another note. Episode 2 doesn't have the clay animation ending. It now has regular animation in it and also the song changed. A classical like ending song is in place of the one in episode 1. Also the opening song finally comes into play in episode 2.

Yayyy!!
laugh.gif
Another great reason for me to love this series even more!
biggrin.gif

Holy, I just discovered something:

- Amamiya Manami
- Etoh Mei
- Inamori Mika
- Odori Momoha
- Uehara Mutsuki

Or in the Japanese ordering:

- Amamiya Manami
- Inamori Mika
- Uehara Mutsuki
- Etoh Mei
- Odori Momoha

Btw, this was the order that the Character mini albums came out in.

XD I love this series even more now.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (vortexblade @ Jan 21 2007, 01:51 AM) i found the visuals in the first episode great i cant wait to see the rest. So will this be a 13 episode series?
That has not been confirmed yet as far as I know. I'm hoping for it to be 26.
biggrin.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back